IMDb > "The Nostalgia Critic" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Nostalgia Critic"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Nostalgia Critic" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Best Internet Critic

Author: sitonpickle from United States
3 May 2010

The nostalgia critic is a 20 year old comedic reviewer who reviews movies from his childhood. All of the movies he reviews are movies from the 80s and 90s. Most of the movies he reviews are considered bad movies, such as Batman And Robin, Super Mario Bros and so forth. He reviews his movies while making fun of completely stupid points of the movie or plot holes. One could argue that the nostalgia critic is more of a comedian then he is a movie critic. Either way, he's hilarious to watch.

His humor consist of making tons of pop culture references and going over the top in his acting like a Looney Toons character. He's an extremely passionate movie lover who has fun all the way in his entertaining acting. Those who love movies will love seeing the Nostalgia Critic lampoon horrible films of the past.

On average, each review is approximately 20 minutes long, and walks through the movie explaining what happens so you get the grasp of the movie along with his jokes.

He has a number of episodes called "old Vs new" which he compares an old movie with a recent remake. For example, he compared the Old King Kong with the new Peter Jackson King Kong. He also has "top 11" videos, which is when he ranks shows or movies in a certain category. He made a video listing "top 11 scariest nostalgia moments", "top 11 nostalgia shows", "top 11 saddest nostalgia moments" and more.

The nostalgia critic is played by Doug Walker, who you can tell really admires and loves movies. Not only is he funny, but he also has a passion for analyzing what's good about movies and what's bad. This is shown in his Top 11 videos, Old Vs New and none nostalgia critic videos that are posted on the site (ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com).

What makes the nostalgia critic very recomendable is how he explores childhood movies. The closer your age is to him, the more you will recognize the movies and shows he reviews. This is especially true when he makes tributes to nostalgic TV shows. It's a nice way to revisit your childhood, hence his title, "nostalgia". We all have movies that we love due the the nostalgic value it created when we watched it as a child. You'd think that the nostalgia critic would crush those memories as he rips apart movies he reviews, but trust me when I say it isn't so. Seeing the nostalgia critic tear apart your childhood films should only make you love the film even more, because you would spend 20 minutes looking at the film as an adult, defining an even bigger line of what's a childhood treasure.

Out of all the internet stars, The Nostalgia Critic is my favourite

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
25 June 2010

I didn't get into The Nostalgia Critic until fairly recently, as I have several friends from IMDb who are fans of his. As I have said, out of all the internet stars, The Nostalgia Critic is my favourite. No matter how random he can be, he is hilarious and pretty consistent. There are times where Doug overdoes it a tad with the shrieking and the rants, but there are many funny moments in his reviews I can't help chuckling.

My favourite reviews of his are:

Titanic:The Animated Movie- This is an instance when the review is a million times better than the film. The film itself is for me one of the worst animated movies ever, poorly animated and edited and a shameless rip off of films(infinitely better films too) from my childhood. When the rapping dog arrived on the scene, I knew I was asking for trouble. In fact the only redeeming quality was Holding Me. The review of course was absolutely brilliant, with some of the funniest moments I had seen in my life, so much so I almost died laughing.

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie- Man I cannot describe how awful this film was. Without a doubt for me this is one of the worst movies of the 80s, poorly written, horrible to look at with terrible acting and incoherent storytelling. Another instance of where the review is better than the film.

Quest for Camelot- I have to admit this was funny. I don't hate this film as much as some do in fact while it has a lot of problems(ie. the mismatched singing voices) it does have its interest points such as the song The Prayer, Devon and Cornwall and the fact the excellent and underrated Gary Oldman does a voice. Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed the review, the Ogre's butt comment especially was hilarious!

Batman and Robin- I especially liked this review for the Bat Nipples comment, that was funny. And I do have to admit this is a movie I don't like, in fact I consider this the worst of the Batman movies. Nice costumes and sets, but a bad script and ridiculous overacting(Arnold Schwarznegger I am looking at you) really bring the film down.

Troll in Central Park- Another great review with nice observations that even I didn't think of, and I have to say the film itself I consider one of Bluth's weaker efforts. I actually like Don Bluth, The Secret of NIMH, Anastasia, American Tail and Land Before Time especially are wonderful, but this film while having some sweet moments, nice incidental music and a very good voice cast is forgettable, mostly to do with the lacklustre plot and uneven animation quality.

Is there a review I didn't like so much? I have still yet to see more of Nostalgia Critic's work, but I agree with another reviewer about Last Action Hero. That film is very underrated, it isn't perfect, but it was smart and fun, and I felt that Doug missed the point of the film plus it wasn't as funny as his other reviews I feel.

I also enjoy his lists-: Top 11 Scariest Moments, Top 11 Saddest Moments, Top 11 Villains and Top 11 Villain Songs. In regard to the latter, I personally don't think any villain song list is complete without the mention of Hellfire from the underrated Hunchback of Notre Dame. That is a brilliant song, operatic, haunting, intense and goosebumps inducing and brings a demonic side to Frollo's character, and to think he wasn't complex enough already.

Overall, if you haven't seen any of Doug's reviews I suggest you do so. Whether you agree with him or not is something else, but he is so entertaining often I am past caring. 9/10 Bethany Cox

He remembers it so we don't have to.

Author: KermitWazowski2 from United States
31 August 2015

I'm not usually one to pay attention to Internet celebrities or web series. But I fairly recently discovered the Nostalgia Critic, and all I could think after watching a few of his reviews was, where has this guy been all my life? I could watch his videos for hours.

The Nostalgia Critic is best known for ripping apart movies and television of the 1980s and '90s that he finds corny or otherwise badly written/acted/executed, but recently he's branched out into the 2000s or even something currently in theaters. Chances are, at some point he's going to take a big steaming dump on something you love, pointing out all of its flaws. Even so, I can't argue with most of the points he makes, especially if I'm in tears laughing. He's known to be very loud and profane, and I admit that sometimes he goes overboard with the screaming and hysterics. But I think he makes up for it with clever writing and editing. He's not just a guy yelling at a camera. A lot of thought and effort goes into making an NC episode, and there are plenty of behind the scenes videos to prove it. It also helps to know that the Critic is just a character that Doug plays and he's not really that angry in real life.

Recent NC episodes have featured some sort of subplot with supporting characters, which fans seem to either love or hate. I personally find the subplots hit or miss. Sometimes they're funny and entertaining, and other times they just detract from the review. I think I will always prefer the older episodes with just Doug talking, but it's nice to see the chemistry between Doug and his Channel Awesome co-stars.

The Critic offers more than just exaggerated bad reviews. Sometimes he'll positively review something, and his editorials and top 11 lists are entertaining and insightful. My personal favorite material of his outside of reviewing movies and TV shows are his commercial specials. It was a brilliant idea to review TV advertisements of the '80s and '90s. Watching the commercials for those products you begged your parents for feels just as nostalgic as watching your old favorite Saturday morning cartoons.

To sum things up, I love this guy. He's hilarious, talented, intelligent, and just plain endearing. If I could spend a day making fun of laughably bad movies with anyone in the world, it'd be Doug Walker.

The old episodes were great, but the new ones suck

Author: bazmitch23 from Co, Derry, Northern Ireland
16 September 2014

I was introduced to the Critic back in '08 when he was having his feud with AVGN. I got curious and decided to watch one of his videos. The first one I saw was the Pokemon review and I laughed, and I laughed and I laughed. I got hooked and watched every episode.

It was my fave internet show besides AVGN.

My fave episodes were The Wizard, Commando, Alone In The Dark, Red Sonja, his top 11's, Dungeons and Dragons, Titanic and the commercials.

The Anniversary movies I thought were okay. Some jokes were funny, others were crap.

The show ended in 2012 and Doug did Demo Reel which flopped. So he went back to doing the Critic.

I was happy to hear he was doing the Critic again. But when I began watching the new series, it sucked.

It had more actors that weren't needed and sub-plots that interrupted the reviews. We didn't want those things. We just wanted Doug on his own reviewing the movie. That was what made the show so great.

And the new show focuses more on the sub-plots than the movie that the Critic is reviewing.

The jokes got worse and worse and I decided to stop watching the Critic cold turkey.

So I still love the old eps, but the new ones don't do it for me.

Doug will be doing his game show soon. He should probably quit the Critic and move on to the game show. Let's hope it won't be as bad as Demo Reel.

The Best

Author: wwe7961 from United States
5 August 2010

Nostalgia Critic has inspired me to review film. His reviews are hilarious, and they are very informative like the Angry Video Game Nerd. I love AVGN, but Nostalgia Critic will always be the most entertaining, and informative reviewer on the internet. Every week he gives us another great review. My favorites are Tom and Jerry the movie review, Batman and Robin, Garbage Pail Kids, any of his top 11 lists(including top 12 Christmas), and The Room. (It was removed from his site, but it can be found on youtube) Nostalgia Critic is my true inspiration. His jokes are hilarious, the information he gives is very informative, and he is my true inspiration.

Still awesome

Author: Eric Stevenson from United States
27 April 2016

When the Nostalgia Critic first came on the Internet, many people accused it of being an "Angry Video Game Nerd" ripoff. In some ways, it's now even more popular than the AVGN. It's amazing the sheer number of people his website has brought and the unbelievable amount of internet celebrities he's interacted with. This guy is pretty much the Kevin Bacon of the Internet having himself or his website somehow associated with Ask A Ninja, Rifftrax, TVTropes, Dragonball Abridged, Awesome Video Games, Press Start, Honest Movie Trailers, How It Should Have Ended, ZTV and even more I'll mention later.

The setup is pretty basic with an angry critic reviewing nostalgic movies. Although if he doesn't like them, how can that be nostalgia? It's just meant to be ironic. After the show seemingly ended, he came back but now does an editorial every other week. I'm just going to say my favorite of all those is the Good Things About The Star Wars prequels. The fact that it's so different and unexpected makes it unforgettable. It's his most viewed list ever! That defies all logic! He's gotten even nicer with the charity shout outs at the end of every video. More people have joined his crew and appeared in episodes making them longer and a bit more of an ongoing story, but still little continuity.

Doug Walker is the most amazing person I have ever heard of in my entire life. He claims Roger Ebert is his favorite critic but he is the ONLY one on RottenTomatoes that doesn't like "Brazil", his favorite movie! He ended up doing Vlogs on virtually every modern animated show in existence...except "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" which is by far the most addictive cartoon in existence! How is that even physically possible?! He's virtually the only Internet celebrity who isn't into Pokémon. If you want someone who likes Pokémon, look up for something by Linkara or JewWario or CR or ThatDudeInTheSuede or the guy who did Pokemonth or JonTron or Kirbopher or LittleKuriboh or Smosh or HappyHarry or Egoraptor or Anthony of Smosh and just EVERYONE BUT HIM!

I admit that "Bridge To Terabithia", "The Matrix" and "Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom" are some of my favorite movies and I'm not going to look at his reviews. I guess the Nostalgia Critic himself is a great example of what it means to have your own opinion or individuality. I admit there are many times where I hate the Nostalgia Critic, but hey, the movies he's panned haven't gotten done in score on this website! In fact, many got higher! I have read trivia books and tons of other things and he is more amazing than anyone else! I mean it. I will never even be intimidated by an atheist okay because I find what he has said to be stranger than the concept of a virgin birth. I mean that!

A video about "South Park" mentioned how the show did not have a consistent idealogy. Neither does this guy. I mean, isn't the fact that he cared about what the real life Patch Adams thought about the movie about him completely contradicted by his real thoughts on "Bridge To Terabithia" where he says he doesn't care what the real life person thought? He cares about the real Patch Adams, but not the real Jess. Not to mention the fact that in said review, he made fun of how dumb religion was even though the real Hunter Adams supports the use of alternative medicine like homeopathy? He simply mocks whatever seems funniest to him at whatever moment. The idea that he's promoting some unified opinion is absolutely insane and don't go around saying Pokémon sucks because he made fun of it or how My Little Pony isn't that good because Doug Walker hasn't done a Vlog on it.

The Critic is by no means a people pleaser and isn't afraid to crap on some of the most loved stuff ever made like "Sailor Moon". At the risk of being redundant, he has no consistent philosophy in his reviews. The good of what he's done outweighs the bad infinitely. If you ever disagree with him on one review, just go and watch another one! That truly is one of the perks of being such a prolific reviewer. You're bound to agree with a lot of important things and just ignore everything is. There were a total of five Sonic cartoons at the time of his review of "Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog" and AOSTH was the SECOND BEST. I'm soooo glad Bennett calls him out on that later. Doug Walker said in commentary he doesn't even DISLIKE THE SHOW even though the episode features him killing the characters! He said nicer things about freaking TMZ than this show! It's absolutely horrifying to imagine what person would make the dumb creator in that video look like the best sonic cartoon. That terrifies me! It really does! It's great to see the Critic interact with all the people on the website in that even though it's purely comedy, there is some consistency in the Universe ThatGuyWithTheGlasses/ChannelAwesome has created. Someone like Linkara acts much nicer and will review more stuff. I even looked at the most frequent guilty pleasures people have on TVTropes, they are Space Jam, Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog, and Pokémon. He's crapped over every single one of them in a huge way!

Please support fair use. I highly doubt at least one of this guy's reviews isn't going to offend you, but he's still freaking funny and truly a piece of Internet fandom and pop culture forever! 10/10!

A very funny movie critic who bashes on bad films

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
11 December 2015

I started watching Doug Walker since 5 years ago and I thought he was a very good movie critic. His persona as Nostlagia Critic reminds me of a cross between Jim Carrey and any of the Looney Tunes characters very over the top and acts crazy when he reviews his films.

My favourite review that he did was Titanic the two animated films. They were absolutely hilarious to watch as the film was so so bad. Some of his reviews I actually agree with him on like the likes of Moulin Rogue,Cars,Pokemon The First Movie,Master Of Disguise,Titanic The Legend Goes On and Titanic The Animated Musical etc. But some I didn't like Jack Frost or Space Jam. He even reviewed Tangled I remember and he said that he thought the story was brilliant but everything else has been done before. He mentioned that the voice cast was good but he sorta found them distracting as he knew who was voicing who.

Overall though even though I don't agree on half of the films he reviews but his just a very funny movie critic.

Hilarious

Author: kdnor2011 from United States
17 August 2010

I first heard about the Nostalgia Critic, in mid 2009. I had just become a fan of the Angry Video Game Nerd, so I had to check out some other stuff he did. When I look at some, I saw that he had a final battle of Epic proportions with a guy called the Nostalgia critic. I decided to check him out. His first review didn't really impress me much, his review of 2007s, Transformers was good (I'm a huge Bum fan), but it didn't seem like that was the style he should be doing his reviews.

But his second episode got me hooked. "Cartoon all stars to the rescue," the second Simon the Chimpmuck said marajuana and I saw the Critic's expression, I knew that I was going to love this guy. Most of his episodes are gold, some of my favorites include the "Batman and Robin," "The Room," and "Moonwalker." Even when he reviews a movie I like I laugh, in fact, those are some I laugh at the most. Godzilla, Twister, and ID4, love the films, but also love the reviews. The only review of his that I hated was his Full House review.

I also enjoy his top 11 lists, and his Old vs. News. If you haven't seen him yet, check him out at thatguywiththeglasses.com.

I hate to do this

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
10 February 2016

I've frequently reviewed NC episodes and gave it a 9/10 review around the time I was getting into his work. I'll argue that there was some funny episodes when he reprised it but all in all I think he's just trying to scream "NOTICE ME!" to everybody thanks to adding a tonne of effects and having actors in what frankly should be him just reviewing stuff.

If you don't know this is where the character of the Nostalgia Critic reviews bad movies and cartoons from the 80's and 90's and usually exaggerates his opinion for comedic effect.

I'll say when he reprised it with actors and changed it so he can review whatever he wanted he was still kind of funny but he was deteriorating in his humour until he did clip-less reviews where it seems he changed behind the camera from being someone who was clearly using the character for laughs even though he was nothing like that to basically the character itself (I've seen his latest review is Labyrinth, how convenient it's a couple of months after Bowie's death!). To me he hasn't really done anything good in a year or so and just keeps getting worse, I've already written a review saying I have stopped watching and considering what he was like before it's just painful.

I have given this a 6 overall, simply because of the first few years. He may have been annoying then but I found him way more annoying now with the gimmicks that never once got a laugh continue to be used over and over. I really hope that the character is killed off again. It seems like he's doing everything in his power to sink the show whether it's intentional or not. I'd say look at his earlier work and once you get to To Boldly Flee... Just stop. Me personally, I feel that there are other reviewers that are doing way better than he is at getting me to laugh.

I really like "The Nostalgia Critic" Doug Walker You Rock Man.

Author: paulnuti from Wyckoff NJ
13 September 2015

Hey Guys RegularShow1 here again and today I'm going to talk about "The Nostalgia Critic". This web series is about Doug Walker(A.K.A)"The Nostalgia Critic" reviewing Movies and TV Shows he grew up with as well as TV Shows in his Adulthood. I started like "The Nostalgia Critic" in February 2014. My favorite review of "The Nostalgia Critic" is his "The Room" review with his future self taking him to the future to review "The Room" and world his ruled by seahorses which was funny. My least Favorite review of "The Nostalgia Critic" is his Full House review which really is not funny and I find Doug to be a little harsh in his review but I still like "The Nostalgia Critic". Anyway give this web series a 10 out 10 stars. Anyway Guys see you later. Doug Walker You Rock Man. Update as of October7,2015 I also liked his "Son of the Mask" review as well as his "Masters of Disguise" review.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]