IMDb > "Fringe" Over There: Part 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Fringe: Over There: Part 2 (#2.23)"

"Fringe" Over There: Part 2 (2010)

« Prev | 43 of 100 Episodes | Next »

Season 2: Some so-so holding episodes generally don't weaken a strong forward motion in the narrative and the characters

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
3 December 2012

I watch enough network television to know that keeping shows going and keeping an audience generally doesn't involve delivering everything you have as quickly as you can, so it was no surprise to find that the second season doesn't pick up immediately on the scene that concluded the previous one. While the connection is a little confusing at first, the manner of making it is pretty good since having your main character materializing in transition through a car window tends to grab the attention. From this episode we have a few that continue this thread and also fill in more information about those coming through from the other side. Add to this some surprising changes to supporting characters and the first so many episodes of the season really grabbed me.

It is for this reason though that the middle section of the season dips a little bit when it starts having more "case of the week" content rather than linking to the bigger picture and adding to the story. It isn't that these episodes are bad, because they are mostly pretty good but, whereas in the first season this was enough as we were just entering this world, now they seem less interesting – particularly when they so totally lack any connection to the bigger picture. I got the feeling after a few of these that I could almost throw them in the air and watch them in whatever order they land in – a feeling not helped by an unused episode from season 1 suddenly be fitted in without comment, which threw me completely since a dead character turns up alive without any other character batting so much as an eyelid! Towards the back third of the season we get beyond this and we get episodes that, even when they stall for time a little, still connect and add to the overall story. The final third of the season really picks up its game though and takes us through consistently strong episodes right to the end.

The story is added to but more than that, the characters are added to. The episode which flashbacks to Walter's actions works on almost every level and is almost matched by others around it; a story told by Walter to a child which makes up an entire episode sounds awful but yet cleverly fills in the character's feelings – which meant a lot to me since I feel Walter is the real heart of the show for me. He remains a great character who can be equally funny and tragic but yet makes it part of the total package; my emotions towards him changed through the season but no matter what I felt he was still engaging to me. Noble's performance is a massive part of this because he doesn't flick a switch to go from clown to monster – he manages to be all at once and manages to be a convincing character with heart and feeling despite the sci-fi nonsense that he also needs to deliver weekly. The rest of the cast are good but very much in his shadow. Torv is more than just a pretty face but when she is pushed in this season she cannot always raise her game to the required level – season 3 will test her even more so I hope she can deliver. Jackson's Peter continues to be a device but the final parts of the season see him do more. Reddick, Brown, Nicole and Acevedo continue to do good work while for me there continued to be small casting nods towards The Wire and Oz with the actors who played Cyril O'Reily and Prez having small roles.

So, while I did have an issue with how very suddenly the second season reverted to the "case per week" approach for a stretch, these episodes were mostly OK and the episodes that specifically develop the main story and characters are very strong not only in terms of delivering an engaging sci-fi narrative but also in making me feel for the main characters. I try not to rush through box-sets of shows because I feel it is better to have some gaps between seasons to prevent them merging together, but I suspect it will not be too long before I rush into the third season of this show with the hope that it continue its strengths while also improving what it does with the holding episodes.

Finally Finished Season 2 , How Are You Walter & Walternate

Author: Abhishek Vyas from India
18 July 2013

So Olivia is stuck in another universe and this story is getting as interesting as the mystery of universe. Its good to see Charlie again and why he was there in 31st episode? That was a huge mistake still one can digest it on the basis of its excellent making. Other Olivia is also very stylish but of course "our" Olivia is simply awesome. I want to write so many things about this last episode which came into existence after so many twists and turns, Peters decision of returning back was cool and his departure and Walters performance is again simply amazing his dialog " it seems you have forgotten my very first lesson doctor - when you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth" & there are many more like that, it is simply amazing to watch everyone perform , Fringe is like a "Parallel Universe Ride" for me and i am looking forward for its next three seasons , i don't know whats there for me to see but i am sure it is one series which i will remember for my lifetime.

Love is (in the) Blue (Universe)

Author: XweAponX from United States
10 June 2012

In this second installment of the closing chapter/opening chapter of seasons 2 and 3 events pick up exactly where they left off in the previous 'sode: Which is highly unusual for "Fringe" - It does not skip forward and it is not recalled in a dream or vision: This is happening NOW.

Belly and Olivia have to get Walter-Before Fauxlivia and Alterna-Charlie get to him. This is the first time Fauxlivia realizes that the "Invaders from the other side" are in fact themselves.

Walternate tells her "They are Monsters in Our Skin" - Who is Fauxlivia to argue with the Secretary of Defense? One thing is very clear: On The Red Side, Fringe Division does not share the unique Family relationship which Fringe Blue enjoys. As a matter of fact, the entire Red 'Verse is on a "War Footing" and we see, it is Walternate who is responsible for this.

The idea is to get Peter and then get the hell back home-As fast as possible. Belly and Walter surmise that Olivia had "Opened a Crack in the Universes" which they can use to cross back over, if they had specific equipment. There is only one place in the world they can get the stuff: From Walters old lab at Harvard: Which was Walternates Old Lab.

Meanwhile Olivia tries to meet Fauxlivia and reason with her. This may have worked, but Olivia came across way too paranoid to really trust Fauxlivia, who may have even helped her. As Peter has said: "At the End of the Day, Fauxlivia will do the right thing,"-But Olivia does not give her a chance to think about it, she shoves a gun in her face, and Fauxlivia responds in Kind.

Which brings us to the best Cat-fight in 2 Universes: Olivia vs Olivia! But Olivia wins, and pretends to be Fauxlivia. This is a big hint of things to come, but this episode moves so rapidly that we don't think about such things until Hindsight is 20/20.

Alterna-Charlie shows up at Fauxlivia's right as Olivia is leaving, disguised as Fauxlivia, and she talks Charlie into bringing her to where Peter is. In a mirror-Bookend to the Pilot Episode of Fringe, Charlie says "This job is not the same as it was 10 years ago..." just like Charlie did in the Pilot.

When they get to Peter's. She hands him the piece of paper and mentions "The Observer" and that his friends have come to protect him, and she cold-cocks Charlie with a bottle of Jim Beam.

This is the pivotal point, Olivia can't give Peter any valid reason why he needs to come back, other to say that it is to be with her. This is probably the centerpiece of the whole series: But we'll see that things happen which prevent this from being realized immediately.

Meanwhile Walter and Belly have a meeting of the minds: Walter wants to know WHY Belly removed his Brain. Walter knows, Belly has been helping Walternate: The Shapeshifters are Belly's design. But Why? And Belly gives him the reason.

Ultimately they all get back to The Opera House, and a huge confrontation between Fringe Red and Fringe Blue ensues: And something else happens as well, which we don't initially see happen until the episode is recapped.

But the Crack which Olivia had opened, is still there and Belly expends himself opening it. While his body dissipates, Belly tells Walter that he removed his brain because Walter had asked him to, Walter was afraid of what he was becoming. End Belly, for this pair of Universes.

"As Many Stars are in the sky, are how many atoms are in my body: That's how many atom bombs I am, Walter"

When they get back to Blue Universe, Peter is still angry with Walter, but as Walter has crossed over twice to save him, Peter will try to see it Walter's Way.

But Olivia is next seen in the Typewriter Store where the Quantum- Entangled Typewriter is... And that's when we see, she has a Tattoo on her neck. End Season 2, begin Season 3.