IMDb > Johnny English Reborn (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Zero Expectations

Author: adrian-limch from Singapore
23 September 2011

A friend of mine warned me to go in with zero expectations. So I did. I read a few reviews around the internet about the movie, going on about how the audience weren't roaring with laughter.

Well that simply wasn't what I just been through. There was a scene or two where the audience even started applauding!

Frankly speaking, this movie is a vast improvement over the first one, with heightened unpredictability and more genuine gags.

I think what you'll have to remember, if you're gonna catch it, is that Atkinson is best known for his slapstick (+silent) comedy, and not hilarious lines like Adam Sandler.

If you're expecting a deep plot and clever dialogue, you won't find it in this movie - though I must say that the move has gotten the balance of plot, dialogue, and comedy, quite right.

Great, brainless fun

Author: iamincredible from Australia
4 September 2011

Johnny English is back! The film kicks off swiftly indeed, with English being retrained for service. If there is one impressive thing, the pacing is spot on. Whilst the first film lent more towards witty dialog, Reborn relies more on visual gags. Standout sequences include English on a gadget powered wheelchair racing down the streets of London, along with the majority of action scenes. The chair gag in Mi7 is also most welcome. The music composer must be commended for a rousing score, frequently referencing the Johnny English Theme, particularly during the splendid opening titles sequence. The cast is solid, particularly Rosamund Pike. Whilst Ben Miller does not appear unfortunately, Daniel Kaluuya does an average job of replacing the sidekick role as Agent Tucker. The other performances are pretty spot on.

Overall Oliver Parker and Rowan Atkinson have made a fun, entertaining film, barely missing the heights of the first adventure. Stay for the after credits scene!

An amazing movie with little clichés and almost none of the usually expected slapstick

Author: Raghav Mathur from Malaysia
13 September 2011

Johnny English 2 is fantastic. I watched it before it came out and I have to say, once it comes out everyone MUST go see it. It is not a total slapstick, childishly funny comedy. Quite the contrary; Johnny English Reborn is an amazing movie that entertains all ages. My mother was in hysterics at some points in the movie. I highly recommend this to everyone and anyone. The plot is not the simplest but not the hardest to follow either. There are many funny moments, many of which are in the trailer. The action is very...active. There is no gore or excessive blood. Most of the deaths are portrayed humorously and have funny sides. My positive review comes with one warning. Be EXTREMELY careful, no matter who you are with, where you are watching it, or when you are watching it, as this movie may cause excessive laughter. :) Enjoy.

Better than the recent comedies!

Author: Dinosaw from Sydney, Australia
25 September 2011

For those sick of the recent high school/teen comedies and rom-coms we're bashed with these days, this film will be a breath of fresh air for you. Sure, the film has some rehashed comedic scenes, but a lot of the humour is pure laugh-out-loud type layered on very good bits of suspense and chase scenes. I really loved the well-choreographed chase scenes and the climactic battle, which was something the first film lacked.

The first film made me laugh so much back then and I've watched it a lot of times since 2003. Watching it now as I'm older, I thought its plot was too formulaic and the characters, beside Malkovich, were weak and bland. This film, however, had a great damn cast and a well written overall story. I liked how it had more darker elements than the first one - the violence, the suspense and the chase scenes were thorough, whereas in the first film everything seemed light and slapstick-ish, even the villains. The villains in this were top-notch and serious.

This film began a little unfunny and was been-there-done-that with its humour, but around 15 minutes later good humour started to kick in. The funny scenes in this film were pretty infrequent and laugh out loud type, while the funny scenes in the first film were more chuckle type and frequent. But I still prefer the humour in this one. Rowan Atkinson was still excellent with his humour, and I doubted that because I thought he lost his magic because of his awful Bean 2 film.

The film had scenes were I laughed so much. I really loved those classic Rowan Atkinson situations and his witty lines. The fight scenes were awesome and I loved how they made them humorous at the same time. The climactic scene in the mountains was just epic. What I loved about this film is that it mixed suspense and comedy at the same time, and that was awesomely done.

One great comedy!

Author: Helliar from Croatia
25 September 2011

Okay, I just saw Johnny English Reborn. It was excellent as a comedy. It had lots of funny moments.

I'll be clear: it's not the best movie I've ever seen, but, as I already said, it was excellent as a comedy. It is even better than the first Johnny English film, however, I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't include Bough from the first film.

Rowan Atkinson's performance was, of course, brilliant. All the other actors also acted great, and I have nothing against this funny, great comedy.

I highly recommend this movie because it is obviously worth seeing!

Great

Author: Alise_shenle from Singapore
16 September 2011

This movie is damn funny. I didn't watch the first show, but I can assure you, when I went to watch it yesterday at 21.15, all shows from 20.45, 21.00, 21.15, 21.30, 21.45 were full. Also, during the parts where Mr Bean just talked something funny, the whole theatre was laughing. I almost threw my popcorn up into the air during the chair shrinking part, and my dad choked on his drink. The whole movie is funny and not in a lowbrow way like most movies you see nowadays with disgusting sex or poop jokes. It has the British humour. And the opening scenes imitate the parkour one in James Bond but it is much more realistic. I think, if you don't set your expectations too high, you will find it above your expectations.

Uninspired

Author: (chris.smith@twentytrees.co.uk) from United Kingdom
11 October 2011

My boys and I like the first film. Have the DVD; watch it regularly. It is laugh out loud funny even on the second, third, etc time of watching.

This second film could have built on that legacy. However, even from the previews it all seemed laboured; uninspired, and it was. Should have gone with my first instincts.

Even with Rosamund Pike and Gillian Anderson this film was predictable, tired, unfunny. So much less than it should of been.

The gag about the chair going up and down. Is that the best the writer could do. The wheelchair with fast, v fast and f fast. Possibly the worst chase scene I've ever seen. The kung-fu master scenes. Is there nothing in this film that is original.

Wish I could like it more but now beginning to think 4/10 was over-generous.

Britain's Next Favourite Spy Is Back

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
20 January 2012

Britain's beloved spy is back in Oliver Parker's new spy adventure 'Johnny English Reborn'. Needless to say, the film spoofs the spy action thriller genre (the first titles that pop in mind are those James Bond flicks) and does an excellent job in doing so. And of course, Atkinson is playing the lead so one can expect at least some laugh out loud moments (and there are many of them). The script is funny and the amusing action sequences are remarkably shot. The title role was obviously written for Rowan Atkinson and he performs all guns blazing, tickling you to the bone. Very few can pull off slapstick as well as he does. He is accompanied by two smoking hot beauties, Gillian Anderson (who does a very impressive fake British accent as she stresses and stretches each word) and Rosamund Pike (as a professional behavioural therapist who inadvertently happens to know hypnotherapy). Dominic West does a good evil villain.

With a solid balance of story, dialogue, action and humour, 'Johnny English Reborn' is a terrific sequel. One doesn't have to have watched the first film to fully enjoy this one. I was enjoying it so much that I found myself wanting more when it finished.

Entertaining sequel in which Johnny English splendidly performed by Rowan Atckinson goes into the action

Author: ma-cortes
29 October 2012

Johnny English Reborn is a comedy spy-thriller with Rowan Atkinson as inept secret agent versus a nasty organization called Vortex . It maintains the slapstick franchise including a good cast as Gillian Amstrong , Rosamund Pike , Dominic West and professionally directed by Oliver Parker . In his latest adventure, the most unlikely intelligence officer in Her Majesty's Secret Service is recruited by MI7 and must stop a group of international assassins before they eliminate a world leader and cause global chaos. Now that the world needs him once again, Johnny English goes into the action . In the years since MI-7's top spy vanished off the grid, he has been honing his unique skills in a remote region of Asia. But when his agency superiors learn of an attempt against the Chinese premier's life, they must hunt down the highly unorthodox agent. Now that the world needs him once again, maladroit klutz Johnny English is back in action. With one shot at redemption, he must employ the latest in hi-tech gadgets to unravel a web of conspiracy that runs throughout the KGB, CIA and even MI-7. With mere days until a heads of state conference, one man must use every trick in his playbook to protect us all. For Johnny English who stumbles through cases like a bull in a factory , disaster may be an option, but failure never is and he invariably and usually by accident manages to solves them .

Fun comedy spy-thriller in which Rowan Atkinson returns to the role of the accidental secret agent who doesn't know fear or danger . Amusing moments along with embarrassing in this first entry about ignorant secret agent Johnny English with a likable Rowan Atkinson , as he's a complete spectacle . This second installment is a passable and acceptable comedy because of the formula is well known with 'The Pink Panther' series and a shameless James Bond-spoof , a fun caricature of the world's most known spy . Bemusing screenplay by Hamish McColl based on the characters created by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade , being inspired by a series of credit card television . It stars clumsy Rowan Atkinson as one man show accompanied by a sympathetic and fresh agent well played by Daniel Kaluuya .¨ Johnny English¨ release was the first part of series as the inept and bungler secret agent from MI-7 , this following is a good sequel, intermittently hilarious , that results to be as good as the first . The movie gets entertaining and comical moments here and there. This slapstick picture contains amusing , funny scenes , fresh and diverting moments but also flaws and gaps . Rowan Atkinson steals the show parodying the ordinary international secret agent , James Bond-alike , including his ordinary faces , grimaces and gestures . Appears as secondaries some prestigious British/American actors as Dominic West , Gillian Armstrong , Richard Schiff , Isla Blair and Tim McInnerny as Patch Quartermain . The actors seem to enjoy themselves immensely giving funny interpretations . Lively and atmospheric Original Music by Ilan Eshkeri . Colorful and glimmer cinematography by Danny Cohen . The film was well directed by Oliver Parker (Portrait of Dorian Gray , Otelo, An ideal husband , Fade to black , The importance of being Ernest) . Several chuckles and gags , the result of which is one acceptable second entry . Sit back and enjoy the show of Johnny doing what he does best a funny caricature .The flick will appeal to Rowan Atkinson fans who plays stunningly the highly unorthodox agent.

So Disappointed!!

Author: chaitov from Canada
27 October 2011

I actually fell asleep during parts of this movie. I loved Rowan Atkinson in his "Mr. Bean" episodes. I also enjoyed the first "Johnny English" movie.That one was entertaining,funny & enjoyable. It was all I had hoped for while this one was a big dud & really mindless.Aside from a few funny moments,it was boring, predictable,& a real sleeper.

Many of the ideas were copied from "James Bond OO7",& other movies. There was no originality or wit. I thought Gillian Anderson was terrible as a VP in the British Intelligence. She was unfunny,stilted,& lacking in any emotion.

Save your money & wait for it on DVD or TV. You won't be sorry! It is time for Atkinson to retire & enjoy the fruits of his other successes! I was extremely disappointed after seeing this film.At least we saw it on a reduced Tuesday.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]