IMDb > Johnny English Reborn (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Zero Expectations

Author: adrian-limch from Singapore
23 September 2011

A friend of mine warned me to go in with zero expectations. So I did. I read a few reviews around the internet about the movie, going on about how the audience weren't roaring with laughter.

Well that simply wasn't what I just been through. There was a scene or two where the audience even started applauding!

Frankly speaking, this movie is a vast improvement over the first one, with heightened unpredictability and more genuine gags.

I think what you'll have to remember, if you're gonna catch it, is that Atkinson is best known for his slapstick (+silent) comedy, and not hilarious lines like Adam Sandler.

If you're expecting a deep plot and clever dialogue, you won't find it in this movie - though I must say that the move has gotten the balance of plot, dialogue, and comedy, quite right.

Great, brainless fun

Author: iamincredible from Australia
4 September 2011

Johnny English is back! The film kicks off swiftly indeed, with English being retrained for service. If there is one impressive thing, the pacing is spot on. Whilst the first film lent more towards witty dialog, Reborn relies more on visual gags. Standout sequences include English on a gadget powered wheelchair racing down the streets of London, along with the majority of action scenes. The chair gag in Mi7 is also most welcome. The music composer must be commended for a rousing score, frequently referencing the Johnny English Theme, particularly during the splendid opening titles sequence. The cast is solid, particularly Rosamund Pike. Whilst Ben Miller does not appear unfortunately, Daniel Kaluuya does an average job of replacing the sidekick role as Agent Tucker. The other performances are pretty spot on.

Overall Oliver Parker and Rowan Atkinson have made a fun, entertaining film, barely missing the heights of the first adventure. Stay for the after credits scene!

An amazing movie with little clichés and almost none of the usually expected slapstick

Author: Raghav Mathur from Malaysia
13 September 2011

Johnny English 2 is fantastic. I watched it before it came out and I have to say, once it comes out everyone MUST go see it. It is not a total slapstick, childishly funny comedy. Quite the contrary; Johnny English Reborn is an amazing movie that entertains all ages. My mother was in hysterics at some points in the movie. I highly recommend this to everyone and anyone. The plot is not the simplest but not the hardest to follow either. There are many funny moments, many of which are in the trailer. The action is very...active. There is no gore or excessive blood. Most of the deaths are portrayed humorously and have funny sides. My positive review comes with one warning. Be EXTREMELY careful, no matter who you are with, where you are watching it, or when you are watching it, as this movie may cause excessive laughter. :) Enjoy.

Better than the recent comedies!

Author: Dinosaw from Sydney, Australia
25 September 2011

For those sick of the recent high school/teen comedies and rom-coms we're bashed with these days, this film will be a breath of fresh air for you. Sure, the film has some rehashed comedic scenes, but a lot of the humour is pure laugh-out-loud type layered on very good bits of suspense and chase scenes. I really loved the well-choreographed chase scenes and the climactic battle, which was something the first film lacked.

The first film made me laugh so much back then and I've watched it a lot of times since 2003. Watching it now as I'm older, I thought its plot was too formulaic and the characters, beside Malkovich, were weak and bland. This film, however, had a great damn cast and a well written overall story. I liked how it had more darker elements than the first one - the violence, the suspense and the chase scenes were thorough, whereas in the first film everything seemed light and slapstick-ish, even the villains. The villains in this were top-notch and serious.

This film began a little unfunny and was been-there-done-that with its humour, but around 15 minutes later good humour started to kick in. The funny scenes in this film were pretty infrequent and laugh out loud type, while the funny scenes in the first film were more chuckle type and frequent. But I still prefer the humour in this one. Rowan Atkinson was still excellent with his humour, and I doubted that because I thought he lost his magic because of his awful Bean 2 film.

The film had scenes were I laughed so much. I really loved those classic Rowan Atkinson situations and his witty lines. The fight scenes were awesome and I loved how they made them humorous at the same time. The climactic scene in the mountains was just epic. What I loved about this film is that it mixed suspense and comedy at the same time, and that was awesomely done.

One great comedy!

Author: Helliar from Croatia
25 September 2011

Okay, I just saw Johnny English Reborn. It was excellent as a comedy. It had lots of funny moments.

I'll be clear: it's not the best movie I've ever seen, but, as I already said, it was excellent as a comedy. It is even better than the first Johnny English film, however, I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't include Bough from the first film.

Rowan Atkinson's performance was, of course, brilliant. All the other actors also acted great, and I have nothing against this funny, great comedy.

I highly recommend this movie because it is obviously worth seeing!

Uninspired

Author: (chris.smith@twentytrees.co.uk) from United Kingdom
11 October 2011

My boys and I like the first film. Have the DVD; watch it regularly. It is laugh out loud funny even on the second, third, etc time of watching.

This second film could have built on that legacy. However, even from the previews it all seemed laboured; uninspired, and it was. Should have gone with my first instincts.

Even with Rosamund Pike and Gillian Anderson this film was predictable, tired, unfunny. So much less than it should of been.

The gag about the chair going up and down. Is that the best the writer could do. The wheelchair with fast, v fast and f fast. Possibly the worst chase scene I've ever seen. The kung-fu master scenes. Is there nothing in this film that is original.

Wish I could like it more but now beginning to think 4/10 was over-generous.

Great

Author: Alise_shenle from Singapore
16 September 2011

This movie is damn funny. I didn't watch the first show, but I can assure you, when I went to watch it yesterday at 21.15, all shows from 20.45, 21.00, 21.15, 21.30, 21.45 were full. Also, during the parts where Mr Bean just talked something funny, the whole theatre was laughing. I almost threw my popcorn up into the air during the chair shrinking part, and my dad choked on his drink. The whole movie is funny and not in a lowbrow way like most movies you see nowadays with disgusting sex or poop jokes. It has the British humour. And the opening scenes imitate the parkour one in James Bond but it is much more realistic. I think, if you don't set your expectations too high, you will find it above your expectations.

Britain's Next Favourite Spy Is Back

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
20 January 2012

Britain's beloved spy is back in Oliver Parker's new spy adventure 'Johnny English Reborn'. Needless to say, the film spoofs the spy action thriller genre (the first titles that pop in mind are those James Bond flicks) and does an excellent job in doing so. And of course, Atkinson is playing the lead so one can expect at least some laugh out loud moments (and there are many of them). The script is funny and the amusing action sequences are remarkably shot. The title role was obviously written for Rowan Atkinson and he performs all guns blazing, tickling you to the bone. Very few can pull off slapstick as well as he does. He is accompanied by two smoking hot beauties, Gillian Anderson (who does a very impressive fake British accent as she stresses and stretches each word) and Rosamund Pike (as a professional behavioural therapist who inadvertently happens to know hypnotherapy). Dominic West does a good evil villain.

With a solid balance of story, dialogue, action and humour, 'Johnny English Reborn' is a terrific sequel. One doesn't have to have watched the first film to fully enjoy this one. I was enjoying it so much that I found myself wanting more when it finished.

So Disappointed!!

Author: chaitov from Canada
27 October 2011

I actually fell asleep during parts of this movie. I loved Rowan Atkinson in his "Mr. Bean" episodes. I also enjoyed the first "Johnny English" movie.That one was entertaining,funny & enjoyable. It was all I had hoped for while this one was a big dud & really mindless.Aside from a few funny moments,it was boring, predictable,& a real sleeper.

Many of the ideas were copied from "James Bond OO7",& other movies. There was no originality or wit. I thought Gillian Anderson was terrible as a VP in the British Intelligence. She was unfunny,stilted,& lacking in any emotion.

Save your money & wait for it on DVD or TV. You won't be sorry! It is time for Atkinson to retire & enjoy the fruits of his other successes! I was extremely disappointed after seeing this film.At least we saw it on a reduced Tuesday.

Someone please help me here.....

Author: matt_loyalroyal from United Kingdom
12 October 2011

OK, can someone please help me understand why this film is getting 10 out of 10's? Im sorry, but I was a big fan of the first Johhny English. Without being too cynical, I thought it was good fun and gave you a few laughs, but I wasn't too sure whether there would be a sequel or not. Surprise surprise there wasn't and that was fine, they left it and it still stands well a few years on. However when Johhny English was announced this year, one thing popped into my mind ' oh great, Hollywood are cashing in again' just like on all the other sequels and remakes they've done year's after the originals. Now don't get me wrong there are some really good things about this movie. Firstly, some of the humour is very good: the meeting scene with the chair, the first meeting with the head of the spy organisation, some of the party scenes with the mistaken old lady and the fight scene with the man who uses loads of stunts to run from Johhny, whereas Rowan Atkinson just casually chases him using amusing stunts.

However, even these scenes aren't as funny as they should be. The chase scene near the beginning just isn't as good as it should be, it seems to lack atmosphere and gets very tedious. Now let's get to some of the things that are bad about this movie. The plot is just....ridiculous at times. Brain control, OK fair enough it's been done but it's original, but hte fact that Johhny English can resist it at the end....one of the strongest mind control drugs in existence according to the movie and he can just go against it...OK right. The spontaneous romance with the blonde, which goes nowhere and is just so pointless. No indication is given towards it until Johhny runs to her flat after he is being pursued by the MI6. Some of the acting is very flat too. Agent tucker, is funny in parts, but he lacks charisma and doesn't seem to have much of a funny side character to accomplice Johhny. Not like Bough who combined well with Johhny in the first movie....and talking of Bough, he's listed in the cast, but I don't recall him in the movie. Unless he had a cameo which I missed.

Overall, this film is very flat and dull. Granted the humour is good at points, and some of the special effects are fun, but more often than not you're given boring dialogue, ridiculous story with many plot holes and flat acting that is uninspired and just not humorous. I think a 4/10 is well deserved for a film which I was looking forward to, but left me disappointed.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]