IMDb > Friends with Benefits (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Friends with Benefits

Friends with Benefits More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 20: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Fantastic Comedy!!!

Author: ldquinn from Charlotte, NC
21 December 2011

Well, if they ever decide to give an Oscar for a comedy, they should use this film as a guide. Kunis and Timberkale are amazing - who would ever have thought!

Of course, they could not have been as successful without such a wonderful script.

Always cute, sometimes laugh-out-load hysterical.

Patricia Clarkson will take those old enough back to the 60s/70s and Woody Harrelson is outrageously fantastic as a gay sports editor - a tour de force for him!

Perhaps a bit slow once or twice (but not for long) and maybe a bit off script in one scene; but, altogether - a fantastic movie.

OK, OK, I know it's a rom-com guys; but, you will really get the humor. See this one with a friend!!!

What? You're still reading - get up and go see this movie! Enjoy a laugh or two...

Hectic dialog - it's better when things slow down

Author: phd_travel from United States
6 December 2011

The faults of this movie slightly outweigh the good points. It tries to have an informative SATC type look at relationships. But it kind of feels silly more often.

Good points: Nice locations in NYC & LA beach. There is some chemistry between the leads. Patricia Clarkson is different in her hippy type role. Mila is pretty and okay to watch. The part with the father is quite touching.

There are some laughs here and there.

Bad Points: Too rushed dialog trying to jam in too many jokes in too short a space of time. The sex scenes are a bit like jack rabbits. Justin's voice is a bit high pitched and the singing is juvenile. The supporting cast are used kind of briefly and then discarded like Emma Stone. The screenplay could have been tightened and edited a bit.

Overall OK for one watch but not one of the better ones.

Awesome soundtrack

Author: winterslacker from United States
2 December 2011

This was a very 21st century movie. It seemed like it was trying too hard to avoid being cliché, but it just ended up being cliché with a twist. It was enjoyable to watch, and fun to see Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis in action. Above all, the soundtrack is awesome; just like the movie hints. The good thing about this movie that stands out against the rest of its kind is that there's more to it than the title implies. Most people have to learn the hard way in life; few save themselves in time. The ending credits were so much fun that I had to sit until the very end. They did a great job on this movie. Few romantic comedies nowadays have as much creativity as this movie does.

A funny "re-make" of No Strings Attached that I didn't think was as good. I do like Portman better though. I say B

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
24 October 2011

"Are you asking me out? I mean, I'm the only friend you have in New York - you don't wanna complicate that." When Dylan (Timberlake) is lured to New York for a job by Jamie (Kunis) they become friends. After a night of romantic comedy watching they begin to talk about how "broken" they are. After a deal is worked out they become "Friends With Benefits", but, predictably, that only makes things worse. The plot to this is almost the same as "No Strings Attached". After having seen that one, I didn't think this one was as good. Most of it probably has to do with the fact that I think Portman is hotter then Kunis though. Also No Strings felt less girlie to me, and I can't explain why. While Timberlake was pretty funny, and Woody Harrelson had some funny lines (but did tend to go over the top) the movie really seemed to drag for me. I did like the fact that the movie tried to make fun of all other romantic comedies (from dialog, to settings, to music) but I still got bored in parts. I think that, like me, when compared to "No Strings Attached" you will pick a favorite based on the main actors. That is because it basically the same movie. Much like "Deep Impact" & "Armageddon". Overall, a funny movie that is not as good as the "original". I give it a B.

*Also try - No Strings Attached

One of the better romantic-comedies

Author: leana555
4 October 2011

As a romantic-comedy, this will automatically have a female demographic, but I reckon many men dragged along to see it with their girlfriends may actually enjoy it, and not just for the sex scenes.

Yes, it doesn't stray far from predictability and soft comedy, but there are glimmers of hilarity in it. Timberlake's character, Dylan, is interesting and his underlying, endearing mathematics issue provides scenes of laugh-out-loud comedy.

Mila Kunis was very well cast. She brings a casual, natural and genuine cool-factor to the film, and one which Dylan is constantly striving to beat. Their chemistry is great, and support from Richard Jenkins and Woody Harrelson gives the film a strong cast.

I haven't yet seen 'No Strings Attached' but I am more interested in seeing it now having seen this as I find it hard to imagine how different it will be.

All-in-all, this is one of the better romantic-comedies out there, and well worth a watch for rom-com fans, but I'd urge non-fans to give it a try.

Fornication is NOT cool

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
3 October 2011

I was very intrigued with Mila Kunis since I saw her in "Black Swan." Her portrayal of the new ballet dancer that threatened Natalie Portman was spot-on and riveting. I knew I would like to see her again in other films. And so, even as romantic comedies are not exactly my cup of tea, I watched "Friends with Benefits."

The movie started very well with Jamie (Mila Kunis) and Dylan (Justin Timberlake) breaking up with their respective SO's. That paved the way for big-time blogger Dylan to meet professional head-hunter Jamie in New York City so she can convince him to accept a job as an editor in GQ Magazine. The situation devolves from a nice smart friendship into an unconscionable purely sexual relationship. Of course, the rest of the film goes as the typical rom-com formula goes: boy meets girl, they fight and separate, then they get back together.

While Mila Kunis is so attractive and bubbly in her portrayal of Jamie, I was disappointed to see her in this kind of loose character. Still, Mia Kunis is the best part of this movie. I am a fan of this girl. On the other hand, Justin Timberlake seems to be playing the same type of guy in all his films. The Justin here seems to be the same cocky, fast- talking, sleazy Justin in the Facebook movie!

This film has got some remarkable supporting characters which divert our attention. Richard Jenkins as Dylan's dad with Alzheimer's was good, but seems out of place in this story. Jenna Elfman as Dylan's understanding sister was sweet. Patricia Clarkson as Jamie's hippy liberated mother was funny. Woody Harrelson as GQ's Sports Editor was hilarious in his few scenes.

For me, only the snappy dialogs and the perkiness of Mila Kunis save this movie. While I know that this type of "sex-only" arrangement exists in these hedonistic times, I do not particularly like to see this immoral situation "glamorized" on screen. Fornication is NOT cool.

Entertaining...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
20 September 2011

'Friends with Benefits' is an entertaining romantic-comedy, that offers enough moments to earn itself a viewing. A Good Effort!

'Friends with Benefits' Synopsis: While trying to avoid the clichés of Hollywood comedies, Dylan & Jamie soon discover however that adding the act of sex to their friendship, does lead to complications.

This Recent Surprise Hit works. 'No Strings Attached' & 'Friends with Benefits' have a similar plot, But, the storytelling & the execution are diverse from each-other. They are Two Different Films completely. The Screenplay is lively, funny & engaging. Sure, it does slip in the middle, but in totality, it gets it right. Will Gluck's Direction is decent. Cinematography & Editing, are fair.

Performance-Wise: Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis deliver interesting performances. Their on-screen, works as well. Woody Harrelson is superb, as always. Patricia Clarkson & Richard Jenkins are decent. Emma Stone is terrific in a brief cameo.

On the whole, A Pleasant Romantic-Comedy, that deserves a watch.

Play on the romcom clichés

Author: Richard Bellamy from United Kingdom
20 September 2011

The romcom genre is by nature a formulaic affair. Girl meets boy, chemistry, do they don't they, yes they do. Friends with Benefits tries to play on the formula in a self aware style. The film and its characters both know the disappointments of chasing the fairytale of true love. The couple initiate a friendship that the co-stars Timberlake and Kunis do with humour and a good turn of chemistry. To avoid the hardships of chasing love the story has them turn against love, thus creating the premise of the anti-romcom. This is of course a red herring. The couple fall in love despite themselves and it is an enjoyable journey to follow them.

The story exposes the characters flaws that inherently cause one person to connect deeper to another. The emotion that the couple attempt to remove from the relationship in favour of just sex, wins the day. Where the film does well is turning the conventions just a notch to show something reasonably fresh in a very clichéd genre. The film even mockingly plays on these clichés through a film within a film which Kunis as the die-hard romcom fan finds herself aspiring to in her own love life.

Friends with Benefits paints an amusing yarn of finding love where the characters actively chose to deny it. Gluck keeps it raunchy (see poster for example of possibly most suggestive gesture to find itself on a London bus), self aware and when needed shows the baggage the characters carry without it being over sentimental. The message seems to be that love, if you can find it with the right person, is the ultimate friends with benefits.

The D**k in a box guy and Meg from Family Guy are "Friends With Benefits"

Author: Jackpollins from United States
27 July 2011

In early 2011, we got No Strings Attached, a film I liked, didn't love, may I remind you, but liked. Now, not much further down the road we get the exact same premise. Don't believe how similar the premises are? Well, this movie is called Friends With Benefits, and No Strings Attached's tag line was "friendship has its benefits." Now, you're probably wondering...as an overall romantic comedy..how does Friends With Benefits compare to No Strings Attached? Well...they're almost the same..almost. I liked, but didn't love both of them. That being said, Friends With Benefits is fairly smarter, funnier, and more touching than No Strings Attached. This fact probably comes from the fact that No Strings Attacked was much more puerile, albeit funny humor, while Friends With Benefits is more mature about its sense of humor. Now, that was the first part of my review. I'm sorry if people found it pointless for me to compare one movie to another, but they're kind of asking for it. The second part of my review will consist of Friends With Benefits as a movie on its own. Now, I got to say, Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis work very well together. The chemistry is very fun here, and create a lot of raunchy laughs. That being said, Richard Jenkins as Justin Timberlake's father adds some much needed heart to the film, because you can't have a romantic comedy without having some heart. I also really liked Jenna Elfman as Timberlake's sister. That being said, there's such an unneeded amount of predictability and a lack of originality here. Overall, Friends With Benefits is a nice movie, whose central premise is not very original, but all the really solid performances and chemistry amongst its stars keep it afloat.

Emotionally detached couple make for emotionally detached rom-com

Author: SnoopyStyle
20 September 2013

Jamie (Mila Kunis) and Dylan (Justin Timberlake) are both successful professionals, but they just find true love. In frustration, they turn their friendship into friends with benefits.

This is built as the anti-rom-com. In fact there is a fake rom-com in this movie where they point out all the movie clichés that they won't fall for. There's just something unlikeable about an anti-rom-com. There's a reason why formula rom-com has been successful for so long. The fact that both Jamie and Dylan try so hard to be detached emotionally makes this story emotionally detached. They just don't have the chemistry required. There are some pretty funny moments. Patricia Clarkson plays Jamie's inappropriate mother Lorna. She has some fun exchanges with the couple.