IMDb > Friends with Benefits (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Friends with Benefits

Friends with Benefits More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 20: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Loud, dirty, sexy and good.

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
21 December 2015

This is the second one of it's kind I have seen this year, with this kind I mean friends- having-sex-just-for-fun-but-wanting-more kind of flicks, I think both of them are equally good, but in each their own way.

In No strings attached with Natalie Portman as the leading female, it is more subtle and sweet, but this has a more becoming Mila Kunis approach, loud, dirty, sexy and good. So this has a few other view points, and is essentially the opposite of the other, except they both have the same theme and they more or less end the same way.

In this the side characters are way better, especially Woody Harrelson is great, he is a very fun homosexual male, not to much in any way, but enough to make his point and a lot of good remarks. But it is also nice to see Jenna Elfman again, it's been a while and even though this doesn't give her the biggest scenes, she does very well and has a nice role.

A Standard Rom-Com with Charming Leads

Author: vishaal811 from India
10 June 2015

Friends with Benefits does not redefine the tried and tested rom-com formula. It is pretty much the same as any of the other movies from this genre. However, the lead actors Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis have a mesmerizing chemistry which makes the movie really watchable. The writing is crisp and witty. The story is about two people who decide to have sex without getting in a relationship. However, they eventually develop feelings for each other without admitting it. The film separates itself from the bunch by being self-conscious as the leads repeatedly mention the fact that their story is similar to a Hollywood movie. However, some of the melodrama seems contrived when everything seemed to be going perfectly well between the two. Mila Kunis shines in this movie and is extremely likable. Watch it for the chemistry and sharp dialog.

Moderate fun

Author: mistoppi from Finland
24 April 2015

Friends With Benefits was definitely fun, and it was what I was expecting. And yes, of course it was easily predictable, but what kind of romantic comedy isn't? Friends With Benefits was mostly simple and fun, easy to watch.

Most of the sex scenes are very good, they weren't made too deep nor were they just physical action which would make you awkward, hoping nobody enters the room. It was realistic and showed how fun sex can be with the real person, which is something movies don't usually show you. Movies just try to glamorize sex way too much, in Friends With Benefits it was very casual.

I'm not so sure about Justin Timberlake's acting though. He seemed decent, but not particularly good. Mila Kunis however, is brilliant and funny as always. Also she's gorgeous, which makes the movie easier to watch.

I was kind of hoping more from Woody Harrelson's character, but every time he opens his mouth, they just had to point out how gay the character is. I think the audience got it after the first time yet still it needs to be said so many times it felt like the only feature the character had. Sexual minorities need much better representation than this.

The whole story felt like it would be making fun of them, but still they ended up using them. I can't decide if the movie was ironically playing with the clichés or if it fell into its own trap.

Friends With Benefits is fun, but I can't imagine watching it a second time. There are way better romantic comedies, like Keeping The Faith, but sure it's worth one watch.

Denies Itself

Author: kevinathome from Canada
9 February 2015

How did this thing get rated under 7 on IMDb, when it clearly deserves a ... 7?

Mila Kunis was a pretty good actress and good to look at. It tried to flout the conventions of the romantic movie, and even got Jason Segal to act in a fake movie they kept watching. There was more skin, and more sex up front. There was much more sweet kindness in the first Act.

But it was pretty much a romantic movie with the first and second Acts switched. They start out sexy and friendly, but then become contentious in the second Act. She still had to deal with her issues and he still had to confess his love in a big public display, and love was still the only thing that mattered. They also tried faster talking than usual but my wife and I could hardly follow it.

I'll bet some romCom fans trashed it for the betrayal. It was like some cheerleader than claims to hate 'those vain girls'. That would grind the other cheerleaders.

Justin Timberlake was OK, but dragged it down a little. Damn that guy, he does OK at all sorts of things that pay him millions.

This tries hard not to be a cliché but I'm pretty sure I've seen it already

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
25 November 2014

I found this movie super annoying initially and almost shut it off. It did start to grow on me at about the half-way mark though when the storyline got more serious and family members were introduced to take the edge off. It think it also took me that long to acclimatise to the insistent, trying too hard to be funny, ongoing (& going) dialogue Mila Kunis kept spouting. And I like this girl too, but jeez.

This is another predictable rom-com with a predictable storyline even though it tries not go that route, but (didn't I see this exact same plot in No Strings Attached?) In this version we follow two friends who try to add sex to their relationship without all the, well, strings. This idea fails (shocker) as Jamie and Dylan find it difficult to keep their emotions at bay.

While this movie tried hard not to be cliché it failed. I did find Woody Harrelson's gay sports writer character kinda funny and got sucked into the storyline involving (Richard Jenkins) as Justin Timberlake's father but for the most part forgettable 10.13

Standard rom-com - does what it says on the tin

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
24 May 2014

It's a romantic comedy. That's all you need to know.

If you've seen one before, spoken to someone that has, or simply just passed a poster for an upcoming film featuring two, young, likable, sexy leading characters of the opposite gender, then you basically know the score.

Some rom-coms are aimed at adults, others at those not quite allowed to hear all those sexual references and naughty words.

Friends With Benefits is an adult rom-com. It's about Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis who decide that, instead of going out together, just to stick to the 'bedroom aspect' of the relationship. Wait a minute, I hear you cry - didn't they already do this in Love and Other Drugs and that one with Natalie Portman. Yes, is the answer, they did. And they're doing it again. Is this a bad thing? Not really, if you like romantic comedies.

Justin and Mila are as likable as the next couple you watch who end up falling in love (I refuse to put the word 'spoilers' in a review of a romantic comedy as you know as well as I do what will happen in the end). They have good chemistry and you'll smile a few times along the way. What more do you want from this kind of film? It also tried to poke fun at rom-com clichés, then ultimately adheres to them. But, if you're bored, break out the popcorn and watch these two annoyingly attractive specimens of humanity exchange some witty banter.

If you like this sort of movie, you could do worse.

If you think this review is overly-cynical - it's probably because I'm single. I would imagine this movie is better to watch with a partner - *sobs*

Not bad but not the best movie i've seen.

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
6 March 2014

Synopis:

Dylan and Jamie are two people who decide to have sex rather than admit that they have feeling for one another and even though they try to find new people will they ever admit that they like each other.

I didn't see it all on TV as I was watching something else but the movie is about a Head Designer named Dylan(Justin Timberlake)who hires a girl called Jamie(Mila Kunis) and the two have this friends with benefits relationship where they have sex and date other people. But will they admit that they want to take their relationship as a real genuine one?

Overall its an OK movie,and to be honest I prefer Justin Timberlake as a singer rather than an actor,I dunno why but his better as a musician. The ending was OK but you can smell the ending a mile away as a lot of people say its like No Strings Attached.

Fringe Benefits

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
31 March 2012

This movie does one thing successfully – and it's mindboggling. Mila Kunis, as a young lady no one wants to commit to, will seem completely unattractive. Kunis plays a big city corporate "headhunter" dumped by a guy who, in real life, wouldn't tie her shoes. She then hires Justin Timberlake into their big city firm. Their job doesn't matter and both actors seem way too young for their occupations – much of the dialog sounds forced into the mouths of two actors better suited for a college-based TV show.

But both try their best to make the premise believable: two beautiful people agree to remain friends with benefits i.e. they can have great sex but won't be in an actual relationship. Of course they wind up falling for each other but there's a lot happening before this inevitable conclusion – which is never fully realized.

The scriptwriters try so hard to stray from the cookie-cutter rom-com template that there's a movie within a movie (starring Jason Segel) that purposely basks in clichés, including manipulate sappy soundtrack and banal one-liners: making it clear to the characters and audience we're breaking new ground. But are we? This premise has been done before, but Kunis and Timberlake have an essential chemistry to make their sexual escapades – and the morning-after banter sparking an inevitably tense kinship – feel fresh and involving.

Patricia Clarkson adds the needed aged experience as Kunis's quirky mom and Woody Harrelson's turn as Timberlake's gay pal basks in intentional scene-stealing dialog. But it's Timberlake who, despite a whiny high-pitched voice not fully befitting the big screen, succeeds by convincing us that Kunis might not be a worthy long-term girlfriend – now that's a feat.

For More Reviews: www.cultfilmfreaks.com

A piquant touch to a bland recipe

Author: Jin Maruhashi
24 February 2012

Following the age-old romcom recipe comprising an insipid mouthful of clichéd dialogue, an inevitable yet blandly fleeting period of separation and of course an ever-present raunchy sense of humor that is almost always the main ingredient, "Friends with Benefits" manages to add an engagingly piquant flavor to the traditional mix through the natural chemistry between Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake that is forthwith discerned at the beginning of the film. The joyful and inarguable compatibility between these two hilarious actors allows the viewer to appreciate even the most conversationally trite moments of the movie since, one way or another, the convincing couple attributes new, more believable life to every feature that has been worn out by the countless movies made from the same genre. Additionally, the plethora of hilarious sexual jokes begotten in the bedroom scenes will undoubtedly aid the spectator to quickly reach the zenith of amusement. Even if this film were devoid of its comical taste, it could still be valued for its attempt to convey the importance of ceasing the opportunities in life through some of its more dramatic undertones. Overall, "Friends with Benefits" obeys the antediluvian recipe of romantic comedies and successfully entertains its audience members fundamentally through a solid chemistry created by the leading actors that renews a promising friendship between romantic comedies and their timeworn structures and morals.

Shut up Katherine Heigl.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
12 February 2012

Jamie and Dylan, on opposite coasts, break up with their lovers: each separately vows to stay out of emotional entanglements.

So when Jamie recruits Dylan to run GQ's art department in NYC - and she's the only person he knows in Manhattan - they decide to be friends with sexual benefits.

It works well until Jamie meets a paediatric cardiologist who just might be a match, and Dylan invites her to come home with him to LA for Thanksgiving.

He may be jealous of the doc, she may be sending new vibes in Dylan's direction, but can either see the signals?....

The first thing that really grabbed me about this movie is the fact that Timberlake is very good, and really shows that he could have a good career in these sort of movies.

While the story is essentially 'No Strings Attached' this feels a little more human, whereas that one relied on the star power of the two leads.

The two stars have a very god chemistry right from the start, which makes the film that little more believable, and for once, their isn't an irritating best friend (we have the damaged parents in this, which do provide a very entertaining sub-plot from both perspectives).

Sadly the film is predictable and becomes a bit of a chore at the end with something straight from the teenage Fisher KIng, but otherwise, it's smutty, good stuff, with a good heart.