IMDb > Friends with Benefits (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Friends with Benefits

Friends with Benefits More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 20: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A film with nothing

Author: dbrando from United States
29 July 2011

Friends with Benefits seems like it might be a satire of Nora Ehpron's feel good films,or Neil Simon's one dimensional types with just TV cracks as substitutes for any kind of genuine dialogue. Not the case here. This film makes Ephron's screenplays and directed films, along with N. Simon's stuff, look like classics. Friends with Benefits has no acting in it, except for Patricia Clarkson, and she is debased as one of those old women- mothers who swear and screw around with men etc.

There isn't one line that is funny,there is not a scene between Timberlake and Kunis that has any chemistry to it. He is always seen as potentially gay, and Woody Harrelson's gay character keeps us wondering, if anyone would care to wonder.

Timberlake plays it all as sort of gay and sort of straight, but comes up neuter. I think the reason why there are so many nude shots of him is because you never take his gender seriously, like one of the dwarfs in Snow White, you never fear for Snow White's sexual safety; the dwarfs have nothing that would cause fear. So it is with Timberlake. Even when there is sex between Kunis and Timberlake, it looks like wrestling at summer camp.

The Altzheimer scenes are appalling, along with the gay male model scenes that are deeply homophobic.

This film needed a script, director, producer, and stars, not non-actors, who stomp around the set with no sense of mimesis, mimicking at all.

Avoid this, and watch "The Nanny."

A movie without benefits

Author: SteveMierzejewski from Poland
7 September 2011

Don't waste your time on this one. A weak, predictable plot highly dependent on simulated sex scenes between the two main characters to maintain viewer interest. Of course, if you're into that kind of thing, you'd probably think this was the movie of the year. If you're looking for some depth or acting quality, you've come to the wrong film.

And what's with Justin Timberlake? Is he gay or putting a little too much glitter on his speech to give it a gay twist? I'm not trying to be funny here because one of the running gags is that people keep asking him if he is gay. I suppose this is supposed to have us all convulsed with laughter, otherwise I don't have any idea why they are beating us to death with this angle. I suspect Mila Kunis did her best with the underdeveloped character she was given, and its the reason I rated the film so highly. Anyway, if you really want to explore the 'can men and women be friends' theme, watch the best in this genre, 'When Harry Met Sally'. At least you won't regret the time you spent watching it.

Oh Come On

Author: hjames-97822 from United States
10 September 2015

Cheesy forced dialogue.A ridiculous screenplay. Did we really have to have the usual "Mom caught us having sex" scene. How bogus can you get? Timberlake can not act. Sorry. He's too much a newbie to have tried to carry this. I found the so called sex scenes to be trite and routine and mostly unfunny.

There must be a director's play book out there for doing sex scenes. It's all predictable. She's on top. Then he's on top. Then he's bobbing ridiculously around under the sheets. Then he has to pee. Gotta get in those butt shots, right? Had don't forget those breasts, but be sure and keep one leg up. At least she demanded a butt double.

A snore. Yawn...............................

Movies With No Benefits.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
11 August 2015

Friends With Benefits (2011): Dir: Will Gluck / Cast: Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis, Woody Harrelson, Patricia Clarkson, Jenna Elfman: Xerox piece of sh*t about crossing friendship and sex. We have seen this bullshit situation a million times. In fact, No Strings Attached was released earlier in the year and seems like the same stupid plot. Leaving all details aside, it breaks down like this. Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis meet after they have broken up in other relationships. Now they decide to avoid feelings and have lots of sex. What is so pathetic about this is how it jerks viewers around. We know where this is headed. Timberlake and Kunis have sex and pretend that they don't care for each other then tension interrupts their friendship. Then they avoid each other before that overly bullshit contrived ending that works like a punch to the groin. The supporting roles are even more over the top. Woody Harrelson plays a co-worker of Timberlake's and he is openly gay to the point of being too creepy. Patricia Clarkson plays Kunis's mother who shows up drunk and plays off the world's most idiotic cougar. Clarkson is a decent performer but here she is undone by the absurdity of the role and its over the top presentation. Jenna Elfman is also hilarious but none of that comes across in this junk. This is directed by Will Gluck who made the witty and funny teen comedy Easy A. He doesn't strike lightning twice here. We are given enticing musical street numbers that are suppose to reference films that are far better than this. Friends will benefit by just avoiding this stupid film. Score: 3 / 10

not good enough

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
3 June 2015

Two friends add sex to their relationship, while trying to avoid any romantic tension between them. So, the movie is struck on saying and frankly declaring straight away and throughout the whole length of the movie that it will not follow the cliché way of boy meet girl and they fell in love because they are perfect for each other. But all things point that way and eventually the movie can't resist the super romantic clichés like declaration of love and desperate running to get the girl. Sure, there are some just friends scenes and the sex scenes do indicate that the two friends are simply enjoying themselves, but the way they complete each other and care for each other is simply controversial to the whole thing. If this was a movie that didn't identify itself as a unique and different movie , parting itself from the rest of the romantic comedies (the film even makes fun of them) then yes this would have been a nice movie, but the way it has been presented, well, it leads you to think that you'll see something different and you eventually won't. So, 3 out of 10, because it was misleading and too much fuss for nothing.

Surprisingly Enjoyable with Great Chemistry Between its Leads,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
31 October 2014

Friends with Benefits is a good movie with a pretty well developed storyline and a fantastic comedic cast.I thought this would be exactly like No Strings Attached,and I really hated that movie so I wasn't going to bother watching this,but my friends told me it was much different and better,and while I didn't believe them I gave this a chance and I'm happy I did,it is much better and it isn't similar at all to No Strings Attached other than the set up of two friends having casual relations.I cared about these characters a lot and wanted them to get together,there was really great chemistry between Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake,and there are also hilarious cameos from great comedy actors such as Woody Harrelson,Andy Samberg.Emma Stone,Rashida Jones,Jason Segel,among others.My favourite part of the movie was Richard Jenkins,he delivered a great performance and the emotional addition of him struggling with Alzheimer's was a good idea and very sweet,I cared about him more than anyone else.It isn't anything outstanding,but it's funny and certainly a better than usual romantic comedy that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good one.

Two friends who despise romance decide to add a bit of love making to their friendship without any complications.

Best Performance: Richard Jenkins Worst Performance: Patricia Clarkson

A really good movie...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
19 October 2014

I love this movie so much. It's really good and really adorable. Sadly, it has almost the exact same plot line as No Strings Attached, but what are you going to do. I want to let you know how much I enjoyed this movie. I enjoyed it so much, that I grew to like Justin Timberlake. Before seeing this movie, I did not care for him at all. That's how persuasive this movie was.

This movie is about two people who randomly meet, and who are put together through work and fall madly in love. But not in the way you'd think. They meet, don't like each other, become friends, become friends with benefits, hence the title, and then they fall in love. This movie completely avoids the clichés of romantic comedies. And is a terrific watch.

Overall, I give this movie an 8 out of 10.

Benefits to be had if you spend time with these friends

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
12 August 2014

Following on from the almost identical "No Strings Attached" staring Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman which grossed over $100 million, this movie replaces Kutcher and Portman with the impossibly gorgeous pairing of Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis who make an engaging romantic couple.

Modern Family's Nolan Gould has a small role as Timberlake's nephew and Woody Harrelson simply steals the movie, he owns every scene he is in as a gay sports editor.

The writer and director set us up for what could have been a great moment-one which we expect to see, but it never takes place. Harrelson is constantly asking Timberlake to go out for drinks, so the can hit on men and women respectively. Timberlake always refuses, but half way through the movie he agrees. At this point we expect some funny scenes watching Harrelson on the prowl. When we don't see it, we miss it.

Friends With Benefits is not without it's clichés, but overall a pleasant way to spend some time.

Pass on this one

Author: erikjensenjr from United States
27 January 2012

This felt so predictable and lacked any great acting; it felt like I'd seen a version of this movie many times before.

I'm also just not a fan of Justin Timberlake as an actor; I don't think he's believable at all. Also love Shaun White but what was he thinking taking that horrific part?! His role was so odd...not funny or necessary; just weird.

The characters want to avoid clichés but the whole movie was one big cliché.

There was nothing overly humorous, new, or unique about this movie so doesn't stand out in terms of romantic comedy titles.

Movie without benefits

Author: johan from Malmö
13 January 2012

Actually I will start by saying something good about this, it won't take long though. All the good I can find in this movie is the main characters acting. Both Kunis and Timberlake handles their respective roles very well as they usually do, and it's easily seen that they work good together. That was the good part.

To the bad parts: Come on! I don't know how many times I've seen movies like this. Just another romantic sex comedy to put in the pile. They meet and talk, they have sex, they fight, the guy contacts the girl, and it ends with forgiving and a kiss. I love new creative concepts. Oh, I forgot to mention they have even more sex before they fight.

There are a lot of oneliners in "Friends with Beneftis" and quick answers we all know doesn't happen in real life. It can be cool with a fast dialogue in movies, absolutely, but it's happening too frequently here to make it somewhat realistic. I'm sorry to say it's sometimes pathetic how predictable this is. Can't they come up with some new scripts in Hollywood anymore? It even went so far they have a scene by the Hollywood sign to fill out some minutes.

No, I can't recommend this. As mentioned both Kunis and Timberlake are brilliant actors but with a bad and predictable script it doesn't help much.