IMDb > "Futurama" Lethal Inspection (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Futurama" Lethal Inspection (2010)

« Prev | 78 of 124 Episodes | Next »

Finally the series hits it's stride

Author: kath_henderson from United Kingdom
26 July 2010

We were all waiting for the return of Futurama as it was cruelly cancelled, we got the films and we got some reprieve in that but what we really wanted was a new series. And here it is. Finally. But the first few episodes have been hit and miss and this has left a few disheartened, I can't see how anyone would feel that way after watching this episode though.

Futurama's most important quality is that it can tug the heartstrings as well as cause a good old fashioned belly laugh. This episode has both of these qualities and the ending, like most really great episodes in this series, was able to be emotionally satisfying without being to saccharine, it felt honest and sweet and I loved it.

Although I was surprised that the two characters to cause such an emotional response were Bender and Hermes but that was the joy of the episode really, developing both characters to an extent and making it enjoyable (because everyone knows an episode with Bender focus is awesome).

What really surprised me about this episode (apart from the ending which I refuse to spoil) is the look at mortality. This episode looks from Bender's point of view as he realises (to his utter shock) that he is in fact mortal and therefore at one point will die. He asks the questions that you do when you realise this, "Why was I brought on to this planet only to die?", it's so tragic and heartbreaking, one particular scene in which he actually breaks down doesn't feel forced at all and actually purely emotional (once more without being uncomfortable). Of course he learns the lesson we all do which is that life is precious and although it ends we have to learn to experience and enjoy it for it's faults, Hermes actually helps him with this, as I previously said I was shocked how much I really liked Hermes in this episode.

So yes, to those disheartened by the new material released by Futurama, watch this episode and have your faith restored.

This is the one we've been waiting for folks...

Author: clarkkerr0405 from United States
16 March 2011

A heart-breaking and heart-warming episode bent into one. This is the classic Futurama that sucked fans in like a black hole. So far this season, i've been disappointed by quality issues. I'm glad that episodes like this can still be made. Kudos to the writing and creative team, kudos. They were able to move the focus to two of the supporting characters and still drew strong human emotions from the audience.

I first watched it on TV and I got a chance to see it just now on Netflix. However you get your entertainment, go out and get this DVD/episode and support Futurama!

Please, take the time to watch this episode.

The first really strong episode of the new Futurama

Author: UnicornMaiden from United States
23 September 2010

I agree with the previous reviewer that since Futurama returned to TV it has been floundering a little. This episode however, has everything that has made the show great- the laugh-out-loud jokes and the deep, character-affirming emotion.

Due to a critical defect, Bender finds that he has no back-up copy and is therefore mortal. With Hermes' help, he sets out to search the Central Bureaucracy for any trace of the robot inspector who missed the defect in order to get revenge.

Few episodes explore Bender's relationship with humans other than Fry, but "Lethal Inspection" shows him developing a very real friendship with Hermes. It also shows Bender learning to deal with mortality and to treasure the time he has... more than he would have if he still thought he was immortal. This episode will hold its own and stand alongside episodes like "Jurassic Bark," "Luck of the Fryrish," and "Leela's Homeworld."