IMDb > Chasing Mavericks (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Great Movie

Author: smccann40
27 October 2012

I went and saw this after reading many unfavorable reviews, and now having seen it I can't figure out all the negative attention. Granted, I may be a little biased having grown up surfing in Northern CA, paddling out at many of those spots, and looking up to the big wave chargers such as Jay, but based on entertainment value alone I thought it was great. The acting was solid, footage was incredible, and story never dragged on or lost my attention. The film portrayed a reasonably realistic vibe of Santa Cruz as a high school kid and the often not discussed elements of surfing. I thought it was great that they were able to bring in the real pioneers of Mavs and local shapers.

The only down-check was that it did feel slightly 'karate-kidish' at times and there were a few events that would be incredibly rare that all seemed to happen at opportune moments.

Perhaps this movie won't appeal as much to many who don't have a passion for the sport or appreciate the massive undertaking of paddling out in heavy surf - but I found it very entertaining. The story may not have been 100% accurate, but the point is to pay respect to and tell the story of an extremely driven and all around good guy.

Chasing Mavericks: A way to reconnect with your soul

Author: Soroush_Jozani from United States
27 October 2012

If you want to watch a movie with a fresh point of view on the world and enjoy every minute of it, I highly recommend watching Chasing Mavericks. Chasing Mavericks is the type of movie that will make you feel alive. Not only me, but many of the other people watching it in the theater were so moved that you would actually they would move with the waves in the movie. The movie approaches the theme of love, family and freedom in a very natural way; something that we rarely see in any other movies of this decade. It's very inspirational and motivating, yet it's very real and natural, so you get inspired without being lectured. My hat's off to the person who first came up with the idea of having Gerard Butler play the role of Frosty, because no other actor could pull it off so perfectly. Butler's character is a mentor, father figure and yet, he does seem larger than life, a character that I can call Poseidon, the god of the seas. Aside from that, this is one of those rare movies that resonates father and son relationship, which is really good to see for a change. Grown men, including me, were actually crying when they watched some emotional scenes and this rarely happens. I highly recommend this movie to everyone who wants to reconnect with their emotions and thoughts.

Great movie! Both thrilling and a life story.

Author: sanwelch2004 from United States
25 October 2012

This movie was great - The filming of of the huge waves, surfers, and conditions was fantastic. I found it a beautiful story of people, the challenge of relationships, mixed with the thrill of surfing, and the athletic abilities required for the champions.

From the heart, this is a true story of a young man, Jay (Jonny Weston), who in spite of many things against him, manages to make his dream come true based on hard work. It is also the story of another man, Frosty (Gerard Butler,) who has his own personal challenges, comes to terms with some of those, and builds a relationship with a young man who needs a father. I was particularly impressed by Brenda (Abigail Spencer), Frosty's wife, who simply loved him. Maybe a strange statement, but when you see the film, you will understand.

Definitely worth seeing!

I love this movie!

Author: Dogdogattack from United States
26 October 2012

It had amazing character relationships and determination to do what you really want to achieve. It made me laugh it made me cry, and most of all it made me inspired. I'm a surfer in general and the story of the main character (Jay) and the reality of the Maverick waves (look it up, they actually do have competitions to surf the waves that are 50 feet high) is just all the move exciting. It's a must see and take the kids, there are some kissing scenes, but they are brief and not graphic. No swearing or anything. Go and learn some awesome life lessons on the pretty much 100% accurate true story. If you look up info about Jay, the real jay you will find that pretty much same story. Very inspirational movie. Go watch it!

Live like Jay

Author: Laakbaar from The Netherlands
27 October 2012

This enjoyable movie is recommended, especially for those who love surfing and the sea.

It tells the true story of Jay Moriarity (played by Jonny Weston), a young Santa Cruz surfer who conquered Mavericks during El Nino, one of the highest waves in the world. The heart of the movie is the relationship between him and his father-figure and surfing mentor, Frosty Hesson (played by Gerard Butler). Jay has no father, but he's a good kid (a real winner, actually) and he latches onto Frosty. We follow Jay as he learns some of Frosty's rules of life and applies them to accomplish this incredible feat at the age of 16.

Frosty's rules of life, and intense training routine, seemed rather bang on to me. This is the kind of thing that moulds young winners. It explains why Jay was able to conquer Mavericks. I accept the movie's moral: "live like Jay".

I enjoyed the scenes showing surfing and surfing life. I identified strongly with young Jay's struggles with his family and friends, and with his drive (unusual for a kid his age) to do this amazing and dangerous thing. This is a coming-of-age story that spoke to me.

This is by no means a perfect movie, but its downsides are relatively minor. The movie has a slight after-school-special quality. It's a movie completely acceptable for kids. Parents should be forcing their kids to see this one.

For me, one issue is that Jonny Weston was too old to play a 16 year old. He has a young-looking face, but when he took his shirt off you could see he was at least 5 years older than that. However, apart from that, he was perfectly cast and played his role excellently.

At the end of the film, we find out that Jay died in 2001 at the age of 22. This also explains why Jay is portrayed as such a beautiful and perfect kid, struggling with the imperfect people around him. The movie is a sort of eulogy to him. After watching the movie, Jay's death does feel like a huge loss.

Once again, a score on IMDb just seems inexplicably wrong to me. The few reviews so far are positive, but the scores apparently are not. The moviegoers voting this movie down are not writing reviews to explain their voting.

There is nothing wrong at all with this slightly sappy movie about a young hero. It's a fine movie that deserves better ratings.

Ecellent movie!!!

Author: Rob Tillitz from United States
26 October 2012

Stunning, nostalgic ocean/beach/surf/coastside visuals, and a watery-emotional story combine to pique any Half Moon Bay romantic to smile, point, shake their head...and gasp with awe. It's, of course, a five-star Flic for me (I am from Half Moon Bay); I'm sure anyone not from Half Moon Bay will have to give it at least a four. In the end, even though it is a love story, it's a surf movie--and a good one. From what I know of surfing, I don't think this tells the whole story, but I think it's a good start. I pray that it opens the door for more stories of this subculture to be told. Bravo to all those that took great risks developing this saga, both before and during.

I do have a complaint: Jeff Clark of Half Moon Bay discovered Mavricks; has the name patented. He noticed the break from behind our High School, and in spite of warnings and skepticism by others, initially took incredible risk in developing Mavricks. He's this surf spot's pioneer, and though this story is really not about Mavricks, but about Jay Moriarty, Jeff Clark deserves his name prominently marqueed .... or maybe that's the sequel!

Chasing great memories of Santa Cruz life...

Author: coastdaze from United States
28 October 2012

OK, yeah, I rated it excellent because Chasing Mavericks was a 10 for its genre, IMO. Better than I thought it would be - this story of Jay Moriarty was heart-felt and well-acted. Gerard Butler was spot on for guys like that in Santa Cruz at that time. Jonny Weston was surprisingly good, too, portraying Jay Moriarty.

I loved this movie, the surfing scenes were photographed well. And the scenes around Santa Cruz brought back good memories. It was a throw-back to those movies that were not CG'd out, action flicks, super-heros, etc. (all of which I love BTW). It has a home-grown feeling with interesting colors and nice photography. I lived in the Santa Cruz surfing scene, although not a surfer myself, and really enjoyed the memories of hearing about Mavericks.

Very cool movie about a good and amazingly talented young surfer and his mentor. Surfing is a tight community, esp. back then. I think reviewers who may use the term "sappy" just don't realize how sappy/cool they were! Awesome film that I think young and old will really enjoy.

Big Waves & Big Emotions

Author: clarkj-565-161336 from Canada
27 October 2012

When I was fifteen, I used to love listening to the beach boys with my headphones on, cutting out the rest of the world. One of my favourite songs was "In my Room" by Brian Wilson. Chasing Mavericks deals with people coming to terms with massive gaps in their lives but somehow focusing on something bigger than themselves to pull through. If you love surfing or the ocean, this movie is for you. Mavericks was brought to world wide attention with Stacey Peralta's film "Riding Giants". Jay has lost his father early in life, and has to act as a pseudo parent for his mother who suffers from the breakup. He accidentally discovers that his much older neighbour Frosty is a big wave surfer and so a teacher mentor relationship starts. Frosty, as well, has terrible father issues which continue to plague him. Their relationship develops momentum and gives each of them energy and purpose. The film underlines the choices we can make in life. Everyone has scars and issues to deal with. Do we give up and spiral downwards or do we set big goals (waves) and go after them. Jay plans carefully in his room to conquer his fears and reach his goal. Excellent and heartfelt acting.

Every surfer will appreciate this film. Powerful!

Author: Shannon Marie Quirk from Malibu, California
27 October 2012

Fear is real. Even big wave surfers are scared of something. "Chasing Mavericks" legitimizes the raw strength of the ocean's largest source of energy. A close relationship to both the surf in Northern California's Pacific and to the man who trains him how to survive its largest beast, this big wave film highlights some of the most interesting parts of big wave surfing psychology. Fear, love, loss... and finding a balance amidst it all. Drop into theaters to see Maverick's on the big screen - that should be reason enough. Period.

-Shannon Marie Quirk, Editor of TheSurfChannel.com

The Surf Channel Television Network www.thesurfchannel.com

FANTASTIC Surfing flick & actors

Author: Alice K from United States
27 October 2012

For the life of me I don't know why it has a low review-- it's an amazing surfing movie. Heck, I'm not even a surfer and went into this very critical (I rarely go to sporty movies / inspirational flicks).

It's based on a TRUE story, has fantastic footage of surfing (after viewing how-to's I am now amazed at how they pulled this off), & features superb acting.

If you're looking for some ridiculous explosions, sex, and nonsensical action prepare to be impressed with something deeper. I loved how they didn't go with the norm simply to satisfy the masses.

This is a down-to-earth flick for people who are looking for something that really hits home and I would go spend $11 to re-watch this.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]