IMDb > "Top Gear" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Top Gear"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Top Gear" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this....

Author: AT-AT from Denmark
13 November 2006

...because I'm not really that interested in cars. And I haven't the foggiest when this is showing, but when I accidentally zap by it, you can be quite sure I am staying on the channel. It appears to me, as a 'non car enthusiast', that many of the reviews are opinionated and not very relevant to the average viewer (as are some of the cars they test for us) but it's all done with charisma and that dry British humor. That is a good thing by the way ;)

I guess the reason I'm writing this, is to show that even though you don't feel affectionate about cars, you can still easily enjoy this program. It's just me saying; 'good job BBC'

Finally Top Gear has come to America....or has it?

Author: SnobbyDude from Connecticut
6 July 2005

The Discovery Channel now has Tog Gear on. When I first found out, I was very excited, until I actually saw an episode. Instead of what they get in the UK, we get identical footage of the tests, but they decided to re-shoot the commentary in the studio for an American audience. I am very upset over this and feel like the USA is getting short-changed. There is no way the presenters can work up the same amount of enthusiasm (to their credit, they try pretty hard) after watching recycled video footage that they already presented to a UK live audience once before.

On the plus side, they do help us out with sub-titles that convert GBP to USD, but I don't see why this couldn't have been done without re-shooting the entire show. I'm glad it is on and this is better than nothing, but why the brass behind getting us this show thought it necessary to reenact live segments is beyond me

The new topgear is rubbish

Author: deltaactual
31 May 2016

Matt Leblanc is OK, but you can tell he is reading from a teleprompter or that most of his dialogue is scripted. The show would be much better if he winged it.

The British guy? What type of committee picked this dude? He is a total phony, and he screams instead of talking, like he is trying to build excitement all the time.

The BBC and the idiot producers at Top Gear UK should stand in a circle, and then take turns punching themselves in the balls! Gorilla punch - hammer fist style, right in the balls you idiots.

Of course the British guy would probably like that. That's probably why the committee selected him.

Show should have ended with the big three

Author: dawson-346 from United States
31 May 2016

Now I'm not sure who Chris Evans was before this show or why he is on it but he was the wrong choice! He is a very annoying knock off of Jeremy Clarkson and he makes the show hard to watch. I thought it was kind of bad when American top gear just does a low budget rip off of an old UK episode but Chris Evans is trying to rip off a personality. Hopefully the top gear producers get their heads clear and sort the show out and get it back to its former glory. Side note, I think matt Leblanc is perfect for top gear but put him on American top gear with Foust and anyone other than Rutledge wood and that would be a great show!

Clarkson, Hammond and May are what made it great.

Author: Ellen
25 May 2016

It was such a great show, and now it is going to suck. I will not watch "Top Gear" with new hosts. The previews are horrible enough to sit through while I'm watching old episodes with the REAL hosts. I will instead watch Clarkson, Hammond, and May's new show on amazon. I totally recommend watching if it is from before 2016. Why put an unfunny American on this show when there is already an unfunny American Top Gear, and still I, being American, choose to watch the much better Top Gear UK? Plus to replace 3 super attractive, hilarious men with 2 losers is a dumb idea if you want your show to be successful. Or at least remain on air. I hope this show tanks so I can watch reruns of the old Top Gear without having to change the channel when the new episodes are on. Or have them sneak into my recordings. New Top Gear, you suck.

Great Potential Wasted : Not so Top Gear Chris Evans MINOR SPOILER

Author: (robinbird-13850)
31 May 2016

As soon as I knew that Chris Evans was to be the new MAIN host of Top Gear, I knew this was going to be ****! Regardless, I decided to watch the first episode of the new series; unfortunately my expectations proved true.

Through let's start with the positives: the challenges which the presenters must tackle sound like funny ideas, for example driving from London to Blackpool in a Reliant Robin. Sounds fun doesn't it? All the fun is drained however, by the presenters.

Evans and the other one are blander than a piece of paper, and all their lines sound like the are being read from a script. What would be probably a fun episode of Top Gear if it had funny presenters, turned into a one hour in Purgatory. I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of this disgrace, now I'm even more hyped for that new Grand Tour show (which has May, Clarkson an Hammond on it) on Amazon Prime.

Discovery Channel, why have you forsaken us?

Author: Chuck (etdweasel@yahoo.com) from United States
13 October 2005

Of all the so-called "reality" programming that makes it onto television, this is one bright spot in a sea of drivel. Jeremy Clarkson is motor writing's funniest scribe, and he is one of the few that makes the transition to the telly without appearing to be reading cue cards. Add in James May and Richard Hammond and you have a marvelous team; Jeremy is the chief presenter, a man capable of, as the "Top Gear" website puts it "reducing car manufacturers to floods of tears with nothing more than a long pause and a few well considered words.", Richard and James, in addition to being at the receiving end of a number of Jeremy's barbs, are proper motoring writers in their own right. The features range from the informative (in depth, pull-no-punches reviews of the latest new motorcars) to the just plain silly (presenting the Toyota diesel pickup as the most indestructible vehicle on earth, then proving it by trying to destroy one) and, quite often, both (as when a new Renault was claimed to be among Europe's safest vehicles. After a proper road test, they crashed it with a driver protected only by the vehicle's standard safety features. (Yes, he lived! And emerged unscathed!) There are stunts, such as racing a Mitsubishi Evo downhill against a bobsled, driving a Range Rover to the summit of the highest "mountain" in Scotland, or attempting to reach 100 mph and stop again on the deck of an aircraft carrier. Then there are the bits where each host will be given a certain amount of money each to buy cars and then compete in a series of bizarre challenges, or when Jeremy races the other two lads, Mr. Clarkson in some impeccable motor car, James and Richard on public transport. Simply delightful! Discovery Channel abruptly quit the series in America 6 October 2005 without comment, it hopefully will reappear at a later date, either there or on another venue. (BBC America, are you listening?)

end of a great show!!

Author: abuashraf73 from Bangladesh
3 May 2015

if u love cars u're definitely going to fall in love with show from the very first season. i can still remember vividly when there was Jason Dawes instead of James may now.. i fell in love with this from the very beginning..i mean i had to download the whole seasons. i watched each and every episodes. watched it for long 6 years.. i taught me more about cars and motoring than i would ever learn..specially from Jeremy, Richard and James...loved their friendship, their jokes, their nasty little laughs, their explanation or should i say exploration of cars. their reviews about the cars are still the best than any other top gears. i m sure there are plenty of top gears now...starting from Australia to Zimbabwe. it rips my heart to see my favorite show ends in this way..such a tiny little matter turned into a big fuss..it wasn't necessary..but we know all good things should come to an end so thats it i guess.but top gear will be missed!! I'm sure as hell going to miss it...

Show should have ended with the big three

Author: dawson-346 from United States
24 July 2016

To quote the Great James May: Absolute RUBBISH

Author: mf-33517 from detroit, mi
27 June 2016

As an American from the Motor City, I love cars. I thought the US version of the show was in no way shape or form worthy of bearing the name of the BBC's work of art.

This is worse than the US version.... far worse.... not only does it not deserve the name "Top Gear" it shouldn't even be on the air.

Evans is just an annoying @ssh@at. LeBlanc doesn't cut it either. The only one worth being on the show is Sabine, and she's an after-thought to the other two. Good it's like a sock puppet show on meth!

Can we just use the two new "hosts" as traffic cones for a steamroller special? PLEASE????

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]