IMDb > "Supernatural" The French Mistake (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Supernatural" The French Mistake (2011)

« Prev | 119 of 288 Episodes | Next »

A Take on Wes Cravens New Nightmare

Author: Sinisstarfreak17 from United States
22 September 2011

Ever see that movie called Wes Cravens New Nightmare. Yeah that one, where Freddy is trying to cross into the real world and the movie is "real life". Well Supernatural takes its own twist and delivers nothing but pure brilliance here. I will not go into details too much on what the plot consists of but I will touch base on the main points.

First off I would like to correct previous reviewers. I have watched the trivia track and listened to the commentary that the 6th season Blu-ray has to offer and I am just going to go over a few corrections. It did not take me the trivia track to tell you that none of the actual "Crew" appears in this. It is Brian Murphey who plays Robert Singer, and even Eric Kripke himself does not make an appearance. They all are hired actors to portray the real life producers and directors. Another correction is you do not actually see Jensen's trailer. The exterior is real but the interior is not his actual trailer. Another thing, You do not actually see Jareds real house. I mean come on, do you think they really are going to show the actors house, THATS JUST STUPID TO THINK SO.

This episode is very creative how the actors parody themselves as staying in character as Dean and Sam. The script is very well written for this episode as is the writing on many others. Like I said, I am not going to ruin anything for those who have not seen it. If you have not seen this episode and are a fan you need to. IT IS THAT SIMPLE

Insanely Funny

Author: caraking1 from United States
15 March 2011

This episode in the sixth season of Supernatural takes the show's trademark twisted humor to the nth degree...with amazing results. Sam and Dean end up in a parallel universe where they're spoiled, rich actors named Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. ("What? You're Polish now?" "And we aren't even brothers!")

The in-jokes are constant, but they're funny even if you're not "in" on all the jokes. I'd suggest avoiding what spoilers you can, and just watching it. (And if you've never watched Supernatural before, then you're in for a treat...just start at the beginning, and enjoy the feast.)

Jared and Jensen Playing Sam and Dean playing Jared and Jensen playing Sam and Dean! Oh, My head hurts.

Author: zombiehigh18 from Egypt
19 December 2011

On my first look on this one, I remember thinking "Ben Edlund must have been stoned while writing this one", But I caught my self laughing out loud all through the show. Oh my God, What was that? If you think Supernatural had done some funny episodes before, you should really see that, because this one surely tops all. Jared and Jensen are given a golden chance to shine with comedy and they nailed it. Their comic timing was great as ever and they gave us some unforgettable moments. Sam and Dean have before found out that their lives is in a series of books and now it is on a TV show. Supernatural team have the habit to poke fun at everything (Their fans, other TV shows,....etc) Now they are brave enough to poke fun at themselves. Misha too had the chance to do extreme comedy away from his usual Castiel performance and he was great.

Cut to the Winchester boys, Who find themselves caught again in the Angelic civil war, are transported to another alternate universe by Balthazar, where they are actors on a TV show about their life and there is no apocalypse, no magic, no "Freaking Angels" and no supernatural, They are both rich and comfy but they are not even brothers. So they try to find a way to get back to their real world where every thing just makes since to them, Moreover they are chased by the angel Virgil, who is trying to get the key to the place of the hidden Heavenly weapons Balthazar had given them. Only to find out later that they have been used as bait by both Castiel and Balthazar using them as diversion for Raphael to gain time to transfer the weapons.

The most ironic and funniest scene on this episode is the when Sam and Dean have to act. Sam and Dean base their whole lives on fake identities but when asked to do some real acting they are just terrible.

The French Mistake! I love that they make a Mel Brooks reference

Author: ClartoGlogenwap from Czech Republic
25 June 2014

right in the title! And if you remember Blazing Saddles and its ending, you'll see how it's an accurate title for this hilarious episode. It's a walk through the mirror into another mirror etc etc. I don't want to spoil anything for y'all but please remember, TV about TV is usually lots of tongue in cheek and this is no different. If you've watched any of the Supernatural series, this episode will have you in stitches. There are cheeky references to the actors, producers, tvland, and the whole schmooze fest of it all. Seeing the characters attempt to get their heads around it was worth a chuckle. As someone also mentioned, watching the actors *try* to act was super. I guffawed through the whole scene and had to rewind. I hope you enjoy this meta universe as much as I did!

Great episode

Author: Tiriake from Estonia
2 August 2013

That was a fun episode! I wonder how many takes did it take to film that episode. Like seriously, how did the actors keep themselves from laughing? I am sure I missed some of the inside jokes and I was laughing non stop for most of the episode.

Was it the most original episode? Nope. But you know what. It didn't need to be, because they took it to new level. It was simply said just brilliant.

I did wonder, why did they put Misha tweeting so much..is it because he tweets a lot or because he doesn't tweet enough? I have been avoiding Twitter like plague, so I am genuinely curious.

I don't think it is that easy to make fun of yourself and your characters. But Jared, Jensen, Misha and Gen did that brilliantly :)

Silly Episode

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
4 March 2011

Funny! The idea of a parallel universe was a good idea. Supernatural the show has Sam and Dean jump through a window into a parallel universe. The parallel universe is the lives of Jensen, and Jared the actors who play Sam and Dean. The viewer finds out the following: 1. that the girl who plays Ruby is Jared's wife 2. What Dean's actor's trailer looks like. Wow! What a huge fish tank. 3. Wow! What a lavish house Jared lives in. 4. That the show is filmed in Vancouver Canada. 5. What the director, producer etc look and act like. 6. Humour about the industry, and the episode makes fun of Sam and Dean's bad acting. The story's theme is mixed with a Terminator style subplot. The one scene in the gun store pays homage to the Terminator. Fun show to watch! I give this episode a 8 out of 10. I wonder if Jensen and Jared really do not talk to each other? The old Days clip with Jensen is hilarious.

Silly and Overrated Rip-off of Wes Craven's "New Nightmare"

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 December 2012

Balthazar meets Dean and Sam and tells that Raphael and the other angels are hunting them down and he sends the brothers to an alternate Vancouver in a parallel universe.

The Winchester brothers learn that in this Vancouver, they are actors of a TV show called "Supernatural" and Sam is married with Ruby, actually the actress Genevieve Nicole Cortese Padalecki. When they make a spell to return to their universe, they also discover that magic does not work in this universe.

"Supernatural – The French Mistake" is a silly and overrated rip-off of Wes Craven's "New Nightmare". It is curious to know that Genevieve Cortese is married with Jared Padalecki; that Misha Collins apparently likes to tweet; and also that Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles apparently do not talk to each other. But better off a more "serious" (LOL) show. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Erro Francês" ("The French Mistake")