"The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Avengers Assemble…the right way

Author: madbandit20002000 from Queens, New York, USA
27 October 2010

Being a comic book fanboy since I was six, I always hoped for an animated series featuring Marvel Comics's illustrious super-hero team, "The Avengers", since I thought they were cool (well…maybe not "X-Men cool).

When fall 1999 came around, I wanted to vomit when I saw "Avengers: United They Stand", a fourth-rate production that mishandled second-class heroes, sentenced first-rate heroes to guest-star status, used poor character designs and had a soul that was part-Power Rangers (ugh!) and part-toy commercial without decent plots(double ugh!).

Eleven years is a long wait, but "The Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes" is worth it.

Corralled as a unit in 1963 by co-creators Stan Lee and the late Jack Kirby (both men co-created each individual with some assist from Stan's brother, Larry Lieber and the late Don Heck), the original five members are given good exposure here: armored crusader Iron Man (voiced by Eric Loomis); Asgardian thunder god Thor (Rick Wasserman); micro-sized troubleshooters Ant-Man (Wally Wingert) and the Wasp (Colleen O'Shaughnessy) and gamma-radiated behemoth Hulk (Fred Tatasciore of "Ben 10").

Earth needs them since many super-powered miscreants (name them all and win a prize!) have escaped from four maximum security prisons, this plot adapted from the "Breakout" arc from the recent "New Avengers" comic book. Guess having one of the lockups shrunken and stationed in the helicarrier headquarters of the counter-terrorist group SHIELD was a BAD idea. In future episodes, other heroes will enter the fray like World War II superhuman patriot Captain America; unconventional archer Hawkeye and African monarch/combatant Black Panther. Bring on the good and bad guys!

Though it won't surpass the monolithic "Justice League: The Animated Series" from long-time competitor DC/Warner Bros Animation, "Avengers" joins recent Marvel Comics animated shows "X-Men: Evolution" and "The Spectacular Spider Man" as good quality productions. You better assemble, true believers!

The Avengers Animated show I've been waiting for!

Author: jruby35242 from South Carolina
28 April 2011

I am a long time fan of the Avengers, and have dreamed of the day when we would see an animated series that could actually capture the best of the comic and bring it to life. I feel that this show really does that. I followed the comic for over 35 years, but finally stopped a few years ago, because I felt the book lost it's magic. They allowed a new creative team to make the book more "popular", at the expense of what made the book great. I believe this new animated series will delight long time fans, while bringing a new younger audience to these characters. It seems that the creative team behind this series is taking great care to stay true to the original material, while doing a great job of merging it with a modern spin. They've even taken elements from newer story lines, and worked them in very effectively. I like the look of the show a lot. I would have preferred a look more reflective of George Perez's style (my favorite Avengers artist}, but I do understand that a lot of people enjoy the more anime look. I will say that it flows very smoothly, and with so much action, it is very exciting. I just watched the first 13 episodes, and can't wait for the rest of season 1 to be released on DVD. On the DVD's they talk about some of the things planned for second season, and all I can say is it looks amazing. If Marvel could get the same excitement back into the comic, I would be buying it again! I'm hoping this series has a very long run, and continues to bring in more of my favorite characters and story lines.

Avengers Assemble!

Author: coolkycouple2004 from United States
27 December 2010

Finally Marvel comics has some quality work to compete with all the awesome DC animated movies/shows that have been coming out lately. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes takes everything that was great about the old comics and filters it through the modern Universe that Marvel is building through their big budget movies.

The artwork, animation and character design is spot on. The attention to detail paid in these shows to the story and characters is proof that the folks making this series truly love and respect the old comics and these beloved heroes and villains. And let's not forget the most important part...the action - which is fast paced and epic as almost any Marvel comic.

Story arcs and sub-plots abound just like the comics and the cast of characters is huge. I would like to see the Vision though, and Ultron would be nice as well...hopefully the show gets many more seasons to explore those options.

If Marvel could apply this sort of treatment to perhaps an animated Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four or even Spider-Man I'm sure millions of fans would rejoice! Avengers Earths Mightiest heroes is this fan's delight.

Finally Marvel's big team has a good cartoon to their name

Author: OleFr-Skj from Norway
11 April 2012

Both Marvel and DC have to an astonishing degree started to pick up these last few years, with several well-appreciated shows that I really enjoy: Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, Green Lantern TAS, and now this; The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

I'm pretty sure many of you reading this remember when back in 2001, Bruce Timm brought the Justice league into the DC animated universe. And I'm also pretty sure that everyone who does remember, can agree with me that it was an absolutely fantastic show.

Now Marvel's counterpart to the Justice League, The Avengers, have finally gotten a cartoon that really is something to behold.

Let me just make it very clear that I'm not much of a comics reader, pretty much everything I know about pretty much any character from Marvel/DC stem from their incarnations in television.

I'm a 17-year old guy with too much free time on my hands, some of that free time is mostly spent watching cartoons on the internet: more specifically, superhero cartoons.

I have seen superheroes of both Marvel and DC portrayed in wildly different ways on television: from the monumental Timmiverse incarnations of the Justice League and other DC characters, to Teen Titans and The Batman. From The 90s Spider-Man show to X-Men: Evolution

I was only vaguely familiar with most of the characters presented in "TA:EMH", so I didn't know what to expect. In fact, the only one I was at least somewhat familiar with was Iron Man, through the 2008 movie and the TV series "Iron Man: Armored Adventures".

I knew their names, their powers, and their origins, but I had literally nothing to say about their characters.

However, many people say that this show depicts the characters perfectly and 100% faithfully to the source material.

This is a good thing, because that gives me the opportunity to get to know these characters, to learn to understand them and interpret them.

This, coupled with outstanding story lines and great animation, makes "TA:EMH" an absolutely fantastic show that any fan should be able to enjoy.

My personal favorite characters among those I only vaguely knew are probably Ant-Man/Giant Man, and Thor.

I admire Ant-Man's's constant struggle to find "a better way" and his belief in the inherent good in every human being. It's really a great show of character to see him believe that even in such a violent world as the Marvel Universe, it's never too late to start again and try to put your life in line. And he's a good example for the kids watching this show. The kids need good role models too you know.

Thor strikes me as kind of similar to Superman in a lot of ways: noble, kind, powerful. But he's still a very different character. If I may point this out, I'm Norwegian, and it's something infinitely cool about watching one of the deities my ancestors (the vikings) worshipped portrayed as a noble and powerful hero of the modern day. A shame he doesn't offer Norway a thought though, oh well, you can't have everything.

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is a monumental cartoon and a great achievement in animation. Absolutely worth watching.

Best Animated Show

Author: kyle-benedict0428
8 July 2011

After watching so many TV shows, such as Chowder, Flapjack, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, I found a new series that is based on the comic books.

The Avengers have been my favorite group of heroes ever since "Ultimate Avengers" and "Ultimate Avengers 2". Those were pretty great films. And this show is of no exception. Call me a fanboy, but Marvel really knows how to satisfy its fans.

VOICE ACTING & DIALOGUES

I found the voice acting completely good and really satisfying. Especially The Hulk, who is voiced by Fred Tatasciore. The guy has been voicing the said character for many times now. The other characters were the same. They sounded real, and so did the dialogs. They were okay, not just stupid good-for-nothing dialogs. Anyway, I give the voice acting and the dialogs a score of 9.

STORY

The best part of the series. The story really beats the story of other series, such as Ben 10: Ultimate Alien. Every single episode had action, suspense, and humor. So I give the story a 10.

MUSIC

Also pretty good, "Fight As One" by Bad City. I actually find it very cool. It's also not that long, which is pretty good. I give it a 10.

So, all in all, the show is very entertaining , clever, humorous, and full of action. I give the whole show a score of 10. It is no doubt the best animated show I have ever seen.

My review for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Author: urbansamurai1970-879-334061 from Indianapolis, Indiana
24 October 2010

I have watched the pilot episode of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and I was entertained. I found the story to be well written and the fight scene to be excellent! The use of the original Avengers line up from the comics was commendable. I also was impressed with the use of a lesser known villain such as Graviton, as the main antagonist for this episode. I always felt that with his powers, he wasn't given his proper due. However, I was less than impressed with the character design for some of the characters (Wasp especially) and equally less than impressed with the overall animation. While I appreciate that they may have been going for an amalgam of retro and modern designs, with some things I feel they should have rethought it a bit. I would've preferred that the animation was a bit more detailed, and imaginative. This animation showed me nothing more than any of the other animated series produced by marvel over the past 15 to 20 years. Despite this, I do recommend this series to any comic fan, as it's sure to be a hit!

After watching this series, The movie has a lot to live up to...

Author: giftedCracker from United States
16 January 2012

So I just finished watching all the 1st season's 26 episodes of The Avengers: Earths mightiest Heroes (thank you netflix) and I've got to say, it is really good. I'm not going to go on about how I've read every comic ever made blah-blah-blah, because I haven't. I'm one of those pesky bandwagon fans that never heard of Iron Man until the movie came out, but I've loved it and every other Avenger movie ever since. And yes the main reason why I watched this series is because I'm excited about the upcoming Avengers movie. I also wanted to get caught up on the rest of the story. It wasn't long until the theme song was stuck in my head all day and I had to go back and keep watching. I've read a lot of the previous reviews and it looks like the writers have stayed pretty true to the original comics and that's not hard to believe because the story is really good, one of the best I've seen on an animated series. I can only hope that that the movie will do the same. I have faith in Joss Whedon but I try not to get too excited because I've been let down by lots super hero movies before. (cough- cough* green lantern) So I cant say whether or not a well versed Marvel fan will be satisfied with this rendition of the Avengers or not, I can defiantly say that a average popcorn eating summer movie fan like myself should enjoy it as much as I have- as long as expensive CGI and explosions aren't required.

p.s. has anybody else wondered how cool the theme song would sound performed by Metallica or something? Just throwin that out there...

All aboard the Marvel Universe...enjoy the ride while it lasts

Author: alanrayford from Detroit, Michigan
11 January 2011

Simply put, "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" (AEMH) is a show I never thought would see the light of day. For one, the film and television rights to Marvel's characters all seemed to be owned by different studios. Secondly, the Avengers series from the mid 90's REEEALLY sucked.

So, when I heard about AEMH, I was highly skeptical. Then I watched the two part pilot and was shocked at how spot on it was. However, my cynicism quickly led me to believe it had to be a fluke. I wasn't ready to accept AEMH as the real deal until "Living Legend". Allow me to explain why I feel this show has the goods.

The animation style is more detailed than Justice League TAS, but not as gloomy as Batman TAS. In other words, it's outstanding. Part of this is due to the character design, which is 100% faithful to the source material. For better (Captain America and Thor) and worse (Hank Pym and Hawkeye), everyone looks like they should. The rest of this is due to the fast pacing and, oddly enough, the accuracy of the action scenes. Iron Man stands back and relies on his armor. The Black Panther plays it smart and studies his adversary before moving in. Hawkeye is always letting any number of arrows fly. Captain America just dominates his opponents in close quarters.

The baddies going up against the Avengers are truly worthy of fighting Marvel's A-team. Graviton, Enchantress & Executioner, Wonder Man, the Leader, the Master's of Evil and Kang the Conqueror are all A-1 threats. You really do get the sense they pose an inordinate danger to the world, not just the good guys. *Spoiler alert*—Ultron's going to become a nigh indestructible, homicidal robot that views organic life as a disease. When this comes to pass, expect to see the stuff hit the fan and then some.

The actors all hit their mark. Brian Bloom, Fred Tatasciore, Colleen O'Shaughnessy, James C. Mathis and, of course, Phil Lamar do Captain America, the Hulk, the Wasp, the Black Panther and Jarvis (respectively) justice. The only one who feels off is Iron Man (Rick Wasserman) who sounds a little too young for Stark. Also, the title theme kinda' makes me want to saw my ears off a little bit. But these are the only negative parts of this production I can think of.

Then there's the show's strongest aspect, which is the writing. The characters act just like they do on the comic page. Captain America is a soldier out of time. Hawkeye is standoffish. Thor is awed by the perils found in the mortal world. Iron Man is a bit of a douche. So far there haven't been any out of character moments for the heroes or villains that have come to plague comics. The writers have also gone out of their way to incorporate the larger Marvel Universe. Instances of this include: a WWII sequence featuring, a pre-Wolverine, James Howlett; a Daily Bugle headline concerning the Punisher; and several references to the Fantastic Four. Also, every single episode is led into by the previous one and leads into the next. It's basically the televised equivalent of reading a years worth of story lines—cool beans. Unfortunately, there is a major problem with AEMH.

Its airing schedule is highly irregular. I know it comes on Sundays at 10:30 p.m. (perfect for me), but its other airtime's feel random. A program like this should be targeting tykes and teens. The key times to do this are Monday through Friday, between 6:00a.m.—8:30a.m. and then at 3:00p.m.—5:30p.m. Batman TAS came on after school, five days a week, and quickly became the show to beat when I was a teen. For AEMH to become a hit or to just survive, it's going to have to air when its target audience will be both willing and able to watch it. Also, why are there only three episodes ON DEMAND for those of us who work long hours? So far eighteen have aired, yet only three are available. In short, viewers have to actively seek the show out to watch it—meaning that they probably won't. This is a problem of the highest order which has nothing to do with the production, but with Disney XD (here in the States).

"The Fantastic Four" (2006) was an entertaining show cut down by a ruddy schedule. "The Spectacular Spiderman" was an excellent show killed off by sparse airing. "Wolverine and the X-Men" was a so-so show decimated by a spotty schedule. All of these programs were based on Marvel properties. All of their airtimes were next to impossible to find. All of them were cancelled. If AEMH is to avoid this, Disney XD needs to get it out there to its audience on a frequent and regular basis. If they don't, history will most likely repeat itself. In other words, this will be cancelled before it hits its stride.

So, despite the extraordinarily high quality of the writing, the acting, the animation and action direction, savor this while it lasts True Believers. Because, if Disney XD doesn't start really pushing "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes", this will be just another excellent Marvel show pulled before its time. And to anyone who calls B.S. on my claim, due to the supposed 52 episode order, I have this to say. "Wolverine and the X-Men" was also rumored to have a second season in the bag, and it was dropped from production. On the plus side, should this unfortunate trend continue, I'm fairly certain AEMH will at least get a proper season one, DVD release.

***ADDENDUM***

Now that the first season has concluded, can us fans of this excellent series finally get a comprehensive, DVD boxset of season one that contains all 26 episodes.

About the characters...

Author: TUSHAR RAJ from India
12 September 2012

Marvel fans, you are going to fall in love with this. This series stays extremely true to the comic-book version of characters, especially Ultimate Marvel. The characterization is brilliant. The story is carefully thought-out and layered. Even though the show is episodic, the episodes aren't totally isolated (like Justice League), and sub-plots run deep. It is highly recommended to watch the episodes in order.

The mainstays are, you guessed it, Iron Man and Captain America. Future and Past, their characters are beautifully juxtaposed. Then there is the arrogant God, Thor; the pacifist, Ant-Man; the comic relief, Wasp; and the loose cannon, The Hulk. Hawkeye and Black Panther are later recruits completing the roster.

The second season brings in Ms. Marvel and the less-known Vision, while Ant-Man and Hulk recede into the background. Also, Scott Lang becomes the new Ant-Man, while Hank Pym moves on to being Yellowjacket.

Nick Fury makes appearances in key situations. He looks like the Ultimate version of Fury, like Samuel L. Jackson. (Marvel licensed Jackson's likeness for Fury years before Iron Man II came out) S.H.I.E.L.D, and later, S.W.O.R.D, are a constant presence. Which allows Black Widow and Mockingbird to make occasional appearances.

Now, about the villains. After all, it's a mass breakout of supervillains that brings the Avengers together in the first place. Every hero has at least one nemesis to deal with. You can count on Loki and the Enchantress to play a significant part in giving the Avengers a hard time, as always. Later in the season, the main threat is Ultron.

Season 2 delves even deeper into the Marvel Universe, pitting the Avengers against the Krees, the Skrulls, Kang (who was briefly there in season 1 too) and finally, Galactus.

At various points, you'll see HYDRA, Masters of Evil, the Frost Giants, the Hulkbusters, the Serpent Society, and other villain teams.

What's more, the second season contains multiple extended cameos by many popular characters. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Fantastic Four... you get the idea.

Don't let the army of characters fool you. The stories are top-notch without being too convoluted, with just the right amount of action and a little dark humor thrown in. Beyond the obvious suspension of disbelief, the plot holes are few and far between.

I'd have given it a 10, but in season 2, the plots around mid-season get a little repetitive. All in all, one of Marvel's finest efforts, right up there with X-Men: Evolution and Spectacular Spider-Man.

I'm gonna rate it 10 stars because of its awesome ending music

Author: Dark Sterix from United States
25 June 2015

Starts out slow and boring but grows on you as you watch every episode. Finally, a break from DC comics and more into Marvel(not that i don't LOVE the dc comics). The show pretty much sets a prequel to the avengers movie and the marvel's agent of shield. All they need to do now to complete the awesome trend is to make one more Iron man series( although there are way too many). Even though this show has some "surreal" things and not enough scientific reasoning behind the stuff that happens. for example they say that ion energy just disperses, and not describe the interesting parts as every sci-fi movies and TV shows do.