IMDb > ParaNorman (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
ParaNorman

ParaNorman More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 18: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Dead & Lovely

Author: RainDogJr from Mexico City
16 August 2012

I recently watched again, and reviewed here, MONSTER HOUSE, which is, like PARANORMAN, an animated horror movie for kids (actually, both feature as main character a boy who has a fat-and-funny friend). I'm not sure if MONSTER HOUSE appeared in the great Fangoria magazine, but PARANORMAN did. I was already interested in watching it on the big screen when I found out the Fangoria coverage, which was just the plus. I was interested for the obvious reason: stop-motion material from the people responsible of CORALINE (not Henry Selick tough). This is clearly the sort-of little stop-motion film of year (and I said sort-of little since it had a pretty big publicity campaign here in Mexico City) while Tim Burton's upcoming FRANKENWEENIE is like the big and long-awaited one.

There is some good news. While we wait to found out if Burton finally does something great after almost 10 years, here we have a film that will give movie geeks really cool stuff. Needless to say, kids won't enjoy some of the elements that most likely you will, fellow reader. Well, you will if you're into very cool horror tributes, in the way Quentin Tarantino would be proud, and nice takes on witch-hunt… and into zombies, of course. Talking about the zombies here, well, I recalled what Guillermo Del Toro's said about CRONOS; he said basically that the vampire from his film is like the saddest vampire ever. I won't say much, only that here we can think in the zombies as sad and confused human beings. The main character Norman is not the classic happy kid as well; you'll love him by just seeing his liking for horror – actually, not every day we have an animated movie that opens like something out of a Grindhouse. And there's good humor (and McLovin as a bully with stretched piercing – I watched the 2D Spanish dubbed version tough), so yes, it's worth watching!

*Watched it on 08 August, 2012

ParaNorman is an underrated animated film that deserves to be seen.

Author: DarkLink701 from United States
22 October 2013

ParaNorman is an incredibly fun, charming, and inventive film. It has the ability to scare kids and entertain adults. Quite frankly, I surprised at the lack of fluff considering this is a family film. It's far more daring and darker than most animated films strive to be. However, that's not surprising considering the film comes from Laika (the creators of the 2009 animated film Coraline).

The story follows a young boy named Norman (voiced by Kodi Smit-McPhee). He enjoys watching horror movies and has the unusual ability to communicate with the dead. He is misunderstood by his father, his superficial sister, and the whole community. He's bullied at school and accused of craving attention. The first part of the film deals with showing Norman as an out-of-place kid in a town that ostracizes him. However, the second part deals with Norman being the only one that can stop a witch's curse that brings the dead back to life. You see zombies, chaos, and a lot of one-liners that are genuinely funny.

The story ties both parts together seamlessly. The conflict in the second half brings the conflict from the first half full circle. We get the moral of the story which is "doing to others what others to do you makes you no better". People will often misunderstand you for being different, but you should choose to rise above bullies and be a better person. I was surprised by the twist in the witch's story — which only made the film even better.

The animation from Laika is fantastic. Just like in Coraline, stop- motion is the animation style that is used. Essentially, stop-motion is crafting each character and set, moving the character, and then taking a picture. You move the character again and take a picture. Shooting films in stop-motion is a meticulous process. There is so much detail and work that went into this project and it shows. Scenes near the end of the film with the witch, Agatha Prenderghast, really show how beautiful the animation is.

Overall, ParaNorman is beautifully animated, fun, and contains a great lesson. It contains great voice acting and has a great set of characters. I would certainly recommend it.

As a side-note, I noticed this movie only has a 6.9 on IMDb. I think that's vastly underrated. I saw a lot of discussions about parents complaining that the film was inappropriate. Also, that one of the characters that ended up being gay lowered their rating. I saw no problem with the scene and thought it was funny.

The best animation movie I've seen in the last years!

Author: BarbosaJP from Portugal
19 August 2013

"Olá." I only saw this film a year after its debut. It features a fantastic Stop-motion work and is a great lesson for everyone.

Aimed at children, eye-catching due to all the amazing puppets, which look fantastic, and all its colour scheme, it also shows that we should not judge a person because she is different from us.

There's the example of Norman, a boy who's a bit different from other children his age, mocked by all and discredited by his parents, and later was able to show that all of them were wrong, by being the only one able to solve the dreaded curse of the witch .

I particularly liked the excellent Stop-Motion work by Laika, as well as the great storyline.

This film, despite its paranormal theme, is captivating and leaves us glued to the screen, surprising us at every moment!

Another Masterwork of Creative Art By LAIKA Studios.

Author: CinemaClown from India
9 August 2013

From the creators of Coraline comes another ingeniously crafted, brilliantly scripted, fabulously animated & intensely entertaining tale that wonderfully balances its elements of horror, comedy & drama from start to finish and, apart from being a successful follow-up to Laika Studios' first feature, is also impressive enough to be counted amongst the best films of its year.

ParaNorman tells the story of Norman; an 11-year old outcast who is gifted/cursed with the ability to see as well as communicate with the dead and the film is about his journey from being an always misunderstood kid to becoming his town's saviour from a centuries-old curse. Teaming up with him in his mission are his eccentric but loyal friend Neil, a bunch of grown-ups & a few... zombies.

Directed by Sam Fell & Chris Butler, ParaNorman is a marvel of stop-motion animation from Laika that exhibits no less amount of creativity in its script, characters or humour. The film carries the same ingredients that made Coraline an instant hit with the audience, applies the same relentless emphasis on plot & characters, and is gorgeously photographed, finely edited & splendidly scored.

Hilarious from start to finish, the film makes excellent use of its wit to deal with its subject of death in a light-hearted manner, plus all its characters are perfectly voiced by their respective voice cast as well. But the one aspect where ParaNorman is truly groundbreaking is in its animation itself for the film pushes the stop-motion animation into a whole new realm which is skilfully presented on the film canvas by its animators.

On an overall scale, taking a scarier concept and providing an original touch to it with clever references, tributes & homages to horror classics of the past, ParaNorman is a very smart, funny, enjoyable, entertaining & highly satisfying flick from Laika that continues the new animation studios' success streak by daring to be different & boldly risking failure in order to find greater success. Delightfully recommended to viewers of all ages.

It's so good !!!!!

Author: Mariae Sattin from california
22 July 2013

This movie has a stereotype of a lame kid becoming a hero. But I feel like it's somehow different from most of the Disney's movies. It's brilliantly simple, interesting, heart-touching and funny as the same time. The movie has some meaningful messages.It put you on the perspective of the underdog and make you really feel for him. Norman and his friend are so kind, adorable and very brave for standing up for what he has been fighting for. Although some scenes is kinda irrational but it's a cartoon movie. The gay joke doesn't offend me at all, but instead it makes me chuckle. The soundtracks are excellent and awesome. It really match with the feelings. At first I was kinda hesitated because it was a stop-motion movie, and I was completely awfully wrong. This movies is beyond than what i had expected. I highly recommend this movies to everyone.

A long awaited animation

Author: Al Win from Australia
29 June 2013

This movie is something i have always wanted. A movie that treats children like they should. Pixar do this a lot, kids these days are a lot more mature, than some of you may think. Paranorman not only is good for children but for adults. The animation in this is absolutely stunning, you can admire the amount of work that the creators put into this as the movie unfolds the area and lets the viewer become invested in it. Paranorman may frighten very young children, but can be changed due to the quite comedic 'tinge' they give to the zombies.

There is quite a bit of adult humor, most of which breezes right over the heads of children and this humor isn't repetitive and is very funny when it is used. Every minute of this film is very entertaining and there was not one dull moment throughout, The characters are relate-able, funny, written well and play off each other very well. Paranorman is a supernatural adventure that is truly a masterpiece of animation and is a definite watch for the whole family, young and old.

Terrifically entertaining

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
23 June 2013

This sprightly movie is notable for its excellent animation and excellent humor. Fast paced and likable, the movie has a quirky sensibility down to its out-of-kilter design; nothing in the movie is even and even the irises of peoples eyes are angular.

The movie is also appealing because of its overturning of horror movie clichés, with nothing being quite what you are lead to expect. It's ultimately a very positive movie that suggests there is some good to everyone (even the town bully has his good points in this one) and, more typical of kid's cartoons, that there's nothing wrong with being different.

Very funny movie.

Author: richieandsam
29 March 2013

PARANORMAN

This film was very good... a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

I was fully expecting all the funny bits to be in the trailer, but that is not the case. There were quite a few laugh out loud moments through the movie.

The movie is about Norman... a boy who can see and speak with the dead. Norman lives in a town where years ago a witch was famously killed. The anniversary of the witches death is due and on the anniversary the witch shall rise again and bring back zombies to attack the town. It is down to Norman to save the day, with a few of his friends, family and enemies.

The characters are great. Normans best friend, Neil, is a fat kid that gets bullied in school, he is a very likable character. Mitch is Neils older brother... he is possibly the funniest character in the movie. Mitch likes to workout and has a lot of muscle. There is a great scene when they are all trapped in a library and he is getting stressed, so to calm down he starts to work out with a book in each hand. That made me laugh, as I know someone who is actually like that. haha.

There are a few moments in the movie that are a little bit creepy. I watched this with my 12 year old daughter and my partner, but I can imagine that if I watched this with a younger child, it might scare them in places.

I can understand in a way why people would think that this film was made by Tim Burton... it has a similar feel, but personally I think Tims films are slightly better.

I will give this film a 7 out of 10.

A very good film that is well worth watching.

For more of my reviews, please like my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ordinary-Person-Movie- Reviews/456572047728204?ref=hl

Animated zombie comedy.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
19 March 2013

Hooray! ParaNorman is an animated(stop-motion)film full of ghosts, corpses and zombies. Beautifully animated, but graphic scenes of flapping and dismembered body parts might scare the youngest of viewers. The little town of Blithe Hollow is cursed by a witch it condemned centuries ago. A young boy named Norman(Kodi Smit-McPhee), happens to be able to see and converse with the dead. Considered weird and a little touched by the community, Norman does have a friend in Neil(Tucker Albrizzi), chubby and bullied.When a small group of zombies invade Blithe Hollow, judgmental citizens take up bats, brooms,rakes and various firearms to fend of the invaders with little success. All hope of surviving the attack is placed upon misunderstood Norman to quell the formidable zombies. Some hilarious scenes, but some may prove to be more mature than most animated movies for the younger set. This flick will hold your attention for sure. Some talented actors lend their voices: Anna Kendrick, John Goodman, Casey Affleck, Christopher Minzt-Plasse, Jeff Garlin and Tempest Bledsoe.

Dead good.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
17 March 2013

Norman Babcock (Kodi Smit-McPhee) is a young horror movie fan who is able to see and talk to ghosts, a talent that sees him labelled as a freak; but when his town is threatened by zombies, the result of a 300 year old curse by a witch, Norman gets the opportunity to show that being weird isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Want to introduce your littluns to the concept of the living dead (and why wouldn't you? Zombies are cool!) but don't reckon they're ready for a Romero or Fulci gore-fest just yet? Then ParaNorman is just what you need—a fun, mildly frightening family flick featuring seven groovy, shuffling, centuries-old corpses, plus lots of other slightly scary supernatural shenanigans and an important life-lesson about tolerating others, however strange they might seem.

There are loads of genuinely laugh-out loud gags (just thinking about Norman trying to remove a book from his dead Uncle's hands is making me giggle), quite a few thrills, a heart warming resolution, and perhaps most importantly, rotting walking cadavers with bits dropping off them, all of which make this perfect viewing for any young horror-fan-in-training.