IMDb > ParaNorman (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
ParaNorman

ParaNorman More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 19: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The best animation of the year....That I've seen!

Author: illbebackreviews from Australia
10 December 2012

'ParaNorman' is the greatest of all 2012 Animation movies I've seen. There were many things I like about this film that easily surpass 2012's 'Brave' and 'Ice Age 4'

The plot is a WHOLE lot better in this film than the other two as well as the musical score, the voice acting, the characters are so likable and the comedy is so good!

There was not one character in this movie that I hated. NOT ONE! I loved Perry's voice actor and the other voice actors all did a good job. The plot remained simple, portraying Norman as the everyday 'freak' that nobody believes.

The plot took quite an usual twist towards the end and I gotta give credit to the director for that. It took a lot of courage to do that and though it may seem childish, I certainly loved it!

Superb film, definitely the best animation I've seen and I guarantee its one of the better animations I've seen.

This was very good

Author: Gino Monaco from United States
9 December 2012

One of the things i love most about animated films, is that the majority of them have terrific stories behind the extraordinary work it takes to make them. This film is definitely in the majority category of animated films, and not only animated films but stop animation films as well. What i really liked about this movie is that you almost can't regard it as a kid's movie. A lot of the humor and content is definitely aimed at adults, and it makes it that much more fun of a ride. I was surprised to see that the creators of this film also did "Coraline". This film is much more light hearted and less bizarre and intense then "Coraline" by far. This animated film does have a moral at the end of it, like all animated movies do but it's not shoving the moral down your throat the whole time. It allows you to escape from life for a while and have some fun and be an immature, frightened, excited kid again. The animation was fantastic, and the way they made the characters and the setting really added to the atmosphere and the humor and even the heart of the story. I put this just a notch down from "The Nightmare Before Christmas", plus it would be a great movie to watch on Halloween.

A dark, dark, dark animated film more for adults than kids

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
1 December 2012

Paranorman isn't animated brilliance. It certainly doesn't land in the qualities of a Pixar film or true animated classics. However, it was genuinely funny, had a strong moral message about bullying and being yourself and was unique. I say unique because this is an animated film geared towards kids about a zombie apocalypse. My issue with the film is the fact that it is geared towards kids. I think the film should have a 14A/PG-13 rating for content and thematic elements because this one was dark!! The film is creepy and scary and deals with death and the afterlife and a scorned witch. The animated is good, though not excellent and the characters were really a lot of fun. There were a lot of jokes that I thought were more adult themed and I even happen to notice them used "God" a couple of times in a derogatory way. I'm not being prudish, I watch all kinds of films and I can handle filth but I went into this expecting a cute kids movie. Still for adults, you will truly enjoy this dark little tale about a boy who speaks with the dead and is the towns last hope against a witch.

Kodi Smit-McPhee does the voice of Norman and does a great job. He fits the role nicely and you certainly relate to the little out-casted boy who can't find favour with anyone, even his own family. His voice isn't entirely unique but it still works very well in the role. Tucker Albrizzi does a great job as Norman's new found friend Neil. Ironically I think Neil looks a little like Albrizzi but certainly the voice fits the character perfectly. Anna Kendrick is really, really good as Norman's less than intelligent teenage sister. She was probably one of my favourite characters and Kendrick did this role flawlessly. Same could be said for Casey Affleck as Mitch, also one of my favourite characters in the movie. The relationship between Kendrick's Courtney and Affleck's Mitch is priceless and really fun to watch. Christopher Mintz-Plasse perfectly captures bully Alvin's voice. I'm not sure his character was as good as it could have been but he certainly does the voice well. Leslie Mann and Jeff Garlin play Norman's parents and both do a good job. Garlin's voice is very recognizable, perhaps more than anyone else.

Co-director Sam Fell has had his share of experience in animation and there is no doubt that he and Chris Butler, who also wrote the story, put a lot of work into the film. It is a fun ride from beginning to end. I sort of wish that they had toned down some of the elements that made this less than kid friendly but older kids and adults will likely love the film! It falls short of greatness but regardless it was incredibly entertaining, well performed and well made. Just preview it before you show it to youngsters because they will certainly find it as dark as I did. 8/10

ParaNorman (2012) - Who Do You Think Sees More Dead People? Norman or the Kid from "The Sixth Sense"?

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
25 November 2012

"ParaNorman" is a stop-motion animation feature from the makers of "Coraline", that was strangely released in August, when a movie like this is often released around Halloween season. It tells the story of Norman, a young boy who is seen as a strange outcast by the people at the school, and his own family. But, as it turns out, this kid can actually see and talk to dead people. Unlike Haley Joel Osment in "The Sixth Sense", Norman actually enjoys walking by the ghost of the recently deceased and have a conversation, he can even see his grandma. But, a centuries-old curse is under siege, bringing zombies involved, and it's up to Norman to break the curse and save the town. You might think of this as really predictable, when in reality, it's one of the most original movies of the whole year. This movie does a perfect job of staying tribute to the classic horror "B-movies" of the early years, and pokes fun at the usual horror film clichés. Don't you love it when movies do that? "ParaNorman" is also one of the most beautifully animated films I've seen in a while. It's such a visual spectacle, the animators have created the world of this movie with great care. It must have taken so much work to sit there and move the clay-mation figure, one frame at a time. This is one of the best animated films that knows how it visually animate a film so beautifully, while keeping me so entertained for the 93-minute movie. As for the voice talent, this movie provides some memorable voice performances from Kodi Smit-McPhee as the title character of Norman, Tucker Albrizzi as the hilarious chubby sidekick who befriends Norman, Casey Affleck as the tough brother of Albrizzi's character, Anna Kendrick as Norman's teen sister, Christopher Mintz- Plasse as the bully, Jeff Garlin and Leslie Mann as Norman's parents, and John Goodman as the one who warns Norman of the dangers that will soon await. This movie also has a very funny side thrown in, and surprisingly, most of the jokes of the movie are mostly adult-related, more for teens and adults, than it is for children, who will easily get scared while seeing this. Besides, most of the jokes may seem way too far in the PG-13 material, while the movie itself, shockingly, is rated PG. That just shows why this movie was not afraid of taking risks, and that is what I respect a lot. While there are some teen humor to be found, most of the jokes are what the adults will understand the most. By the way, as I mentioned earlier, this movie may look like a kids' movie, but this is for teens and adults only, because your kids will have nightmares for weeks. Although having a very basic beginning, middle, and end, "ParaNorman" is a flawless animation flick. Visually stunning, surprisingly hilarious, and effectively heartwarming at times, "ParaNorman" is a film that nobody should miss. If you have a love for old-fashioned horror films, respect the use of stop-motion animation, and looking for a good time at the theater, this is the movie for you! "ParaNorman", in my review, "visually remarkable, and entertaining to watch".

Great Movie

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 November 2012

Did you fit in growing up? Did you have lots of friends, play sports, and go to parties? What about seeing dead people? Did you do that? Probably not. Norman Babcock, on the other hand, sees and speaks to dead people all the time.

Babcock (voiced by Kodi Smit-McPhee) is an outcast at school and an embarrassment to his family, thanks largely to his "gift". Norman's father Perry (voiced by Jeff Garlin) doesn't believe Norman is talking to anyone and makes no effort to explore the possibility that he's wrong. Norman's mother, Sandra (voiced by Leslie Mann) is more tolerant but, by no means, a believer. Courtney, Norman's older sister (voiced by Anna Kendrick) is a cheerleader who thinks Norman's a freak and has very few thoughts on any meaningful subjects. The only companions our main character has are his deceased grandmother (voiced by Elaine Stritch), other ghosts in town and a fellow student named Neil (voice by Tucker Albrizzi) who is bullied because, among other things, he is overweight. The town they all live in is named Blithe Hollow and it is best known for its execution of a witch 300 years ago. While rehearsing a play on the subject, Norman has a vision of the past and being pursued by an angry mob. Not long after that, Norman and Neil are confronted by Norman's estranged uncle, Mr. Penderghast, (voiced by John Goodman) who tells them that they must perform a ritual that evening to prevent the dead rising from the gave that evening.

I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected to. Yes, the notion of a child who can "see dead people" is right out of The Sixth Sense but that's where the similarities end. Norman accepts his abilities, in spite of the scorn he receives as a result. Another difference between Norman and the character portrayed by Haley Joel Osment is that Norman is a very optimistic, upbeat; individual who just doesn't have any friends. The supporting cast is chock-full of talented people who add to the story. If you haven't seen this movie yet, and judging from the box office you haven't, please do.

Yes, it's a horror movie - but kids can take more than you think! Don't let your kid miss out on this great experience only because you are scared!

Author: Felix Orth
19 November 2012

Finally animation film makers have risen to a level, where they understand, that in order to achieve the best possible outcome it is necessary to combine the traditional tools with innovative new techniques.

This is by far one of the greatest animated movies I've seen so far!

Whereas many of the CGI movies made until now were mostly about showing off what was possible with the technology, this gem of animation brings together the right amount of everything. It's all about a great story which is perfectly supported by everything else. The creators are not afraid to tell what they want to tell, which is very rare in the film business nowadays.

The music and sound are brilliant, the actors fantastic and the animation leaves you speechless on your seat, as do the beautiful and with much love for the detail created sets. The overall look and feel of the movie fit it's theme like a glove.

But above all there is the story which is fairly simple, but powerful. It definitely is a family movie, and I wouldn't recommend letting your kids watch this alone. After all, it is a horror movie and the creators are not shy to use traditional scare techniques to make that clear. My recommendation of minimum age is at least six years. But seeing it together can surely help all those parents who have difficulties (or the need) to talk with their kids about death.

The humor is great and well used, especially in moments, when there is really need for some unrelated comic relief to ease out the deep emotional movement that might hit the viewer at times. The intelligent use of stereotypes and thus misleading the audiences expectations is just the cream on the top.

I've never felt the urge to write a review here, but this movie made me do it. And I've seen A LOT of movies in my life. This movie has what I'd call excellent film making!

Thank you, Chris Butler, Sam Fell and everyone else involved in the creation of this fantastic movie, for giving us an experience we'll never forget and that makes us being a part of setting a milestone in film history, because something like this has never been done before.

Stop motion animation at its best

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
15 November 2012

ParaNorman, stands with one leg in horror and another in comedy, the movie had me laughing and it was thrilling, keeping you on your sit as you eagerly wait to see how it will all turn out.

ParaNorman is a 3D stop motion animated comedy horror film produced by Laika who are known for their short films and commercials, their first full length movie was in 2009; the name of the flick was Coraline which was distributed by Focus Features who also distributed this movie too.

The film production took three years using sixty Canon EOS 5D Mark II DSLR cameras instead of the conversional 3D cameras and its release was met with favorable reviews, Rotten Tomatoes has a 87% acceptance from critics for the movie.

The movie's plot was centered round a young boy named Norman Babcock (voiced by Kodi Smit-McPhee) who is able to speak with the dead. His regular gist mate is his late grandmother who he sees daily, but sadly no one else does, so Norman's habit of passing messages from grandma to dad or any other person in the house was not welcomed.

Norman also sees and talks to the various ghosts in town, which has made him popular in the town and also in school as a weirdo.

Norman's only friend is a chubby kid named Neil Downe (voiced by Tucker Albrizzi) who has come to terms with Norman's behavior and enjoys the fact that he can see dead people.

The movies antagonist is a ghost from 300 years ago, who is actually a witch that the town executed. Norman's Uncle Mr. Prenderghast tells him that his gift is passed down to him so that he can be able to save the town's people from the witches curse when he is gone, without fully given Norman all the details Mr. Prenderghast dies, and now Norman has to find a way to save the town from awoken zombies and a ghost with who is tearing the town apart for revenge.

I'm Not totally a stop motion animation fan, this is my second take in trying to watch this movie, the first time I was turned off by the stop motion animation idea but later on after hearing the favorable reviews that it has gotten I decided to give it a try, a decision I didn't regret making.

ParaNorman will leave you glad that you took the time to see it. The animation was a step up from other stop motion animations and the movie dialogue is intriguing.

Take time out of your busy schedule to see this wonderful stop motion animation.

www.lagsreviews.com

What's the music on the car radio ?

Author: jgbook2007 from United States
16 October 2012

While they are going through the town after (SPOILER) the attack in their car - What is the Stax/Hi-sounding instrumental that is playing on the radio . please ? I'd like to know what it was .

You could compare it to an All Green sound - a " Memphis " one .

It did not appear to be clearly indicated - at least to me - in the credits .

Who wrote it ? Was it from the original score ?

Is there anyone here who's seen both the 3-D and flat version in theaters ?

I saw the flat one .

Funny , this being out at about the same time as Frankenweenie and that Sandler Transylvania one - Hollywood - thy name art originality !

Thy name be originality !

Thy name is originality:-)...........

ParaNorman Activity

Author: jadepietro from United States
1 September 2012

This film is recommended.

Witches and zombies and ghosts, oh my!

The animators from Laika Studios, the makers of the highly imaginative but equally macabre Coraline, are at it again. Their lead character, Norman sees and talks to dead people! And he seems to have more interesting conversations with them than their live counterparts in the new 3-D stop-motion animation film, ParaNorman.

While ParaNorman may not be as successful as their previous film effort, this animated feature brings with it enough artistry and clever moments to make it worth viewing, regardless of its misleading rating. (The film deserves a PG-13 for its many intense and scary scenes. ) The film succeeds in spoofing the horror genre with some wit and enough style to match.

Like so many of today's film characters, Norman is a social outcast, that typical loner type. Seen as a freak by schoolmates, bullies, and his own family, it's up to Little Norman Babcock to save the town of Blithe Hollow from a witch's curse and, in turn, seize the day.

The film has a wonderful look in its details with its stunning set design. The impressive use of textures and subtle touches about Norman's preoccupation with scary movies shows in his horror posters and other eerie paraphernalia found throughout in his bedroom. This, and many other scenes, makes one almost forget the painstaking and time-consuming process that is stop-motion animation. It all looks so natural up there, re-enforcing Norman's universe on the wide screen. Yet, the many skilled hours creating this vision is truly remarkable, even though some of the film's character development is lacking.

Many of the character designs come off as more grotesque than the ghouls themselves. It is especially jarring with Norman's over-exaggerated family members, some of the redneck townspeople, and other supporting characters appearing more as stilted caricatures than real-life characters. That director choice never allows the moviegoer to relate to the drama at hand and downplays the actual creatures that invade Norman's world.

There is some rather funny references to other horror staples like Halloween, Friday the 13th, even Young Frankenstein. But that insider hipness is lost on the younger audience members and maybe even some older ones. The voice-over are well done, particularly Kodi Smit- McPhee as Norman and Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Alvin the Bully.

Written by Chris Butler, who also directed with Sam Fell, the film's script is better than average, even if the plot becomes predictable and a bit lame. It's all more of the same overworked theme we've seen before in animated features. The film's flies its freak flag high with its individuality-triumphs message. This everyones'-uniqueness-makes-us-stronger message has gotten stale of late.

Still, there are two memorable sequences that help to set ParaNorman apart from other animated films: a terrific scene in the boy's room where Norman is haunted by a spirit and runaway toilet paper and a scary chase in the woods where sharp tree branches jut out suddenly from everywhere to try to impale our hero ( Strong 3-D effects too ).

A dear friend of mine always accuses me of having a special bias for animated films over live action features. And, I have to admit, he may be right, as I am in total awe of the imaginary world that these talented artisans create versus the real world trappings of other films. Perhaps it brings out the inner child within me. That's what ParaNorman did to me! Witches and zombies and curses, oh yeah! Bring 'em on! GRADE: B

NOTE: Stay until the end of the final credits, which are among the year's best. There a quick high speed version that parlays Norman from the printed 2-D storyboard stage right up to his 3-D personification.

Visit my blog at: www.dearmoviegoer.com

ANY COMMENTS: Please contact me at: jadepietro@rcn.com

Good but not great

Author: Americancarver from United States
19 May 2013

I thought this movie was great up until the end. The animation was really fun but dark. My kids are 6 & 8 and the movie did give them a freight, but they did still enjoy it. The zombies were really fun and the underling message was great for kids. My biggest complaint with this movie was that at the end the JOC turned out to be gay! I feel this is ridiculous to have put in a child's movie! And furthermore they should have let on to the fact in the previews so I could have avoided taking my children to this movie all together. I'm my opinion the scrip writers ruined a wonderful movie by adding this unnecessary content. So if you are a parent that cares about the things you allow them to watch, avoid this movie like the plage! If you do not care about exposing your children to this sort of thing then you will probably enjoy it very much. The characters are fun and the screams are very well put together.

Page 15 of 19: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]