IMDb > Final Destination 5 (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

My review on Final destination 5

Author: Ross Tanner from United States
12 August 2011

I had low expectations when I entered the theater to see the 5th installment of the FD series, because the 4th movie was such a disappointment. But after watching it, I was surprised.

First off,this movie was way,( and I mean), way better then the last two movies were. It was darker and had a lot of elements from the first movie, which I loved. I don't want to give away too much, but I do want to say that the last scene of the movie will leave you speechless. It had me thinking, "OMG, that was AMAZING how they came up with that twist."

One last thing I loved about this movie was that it was well planned out and thought of, unlike the forth movie which was a joke and in my opinion, shouldn't have never been made. The deaths weren't rushed as opposed to the deaths in the forth movie, and it gave more screen time to introduce us to the characters.

Note: I will say that there is one death scene in the movie that I didn't see coming, besides the ending.

I recommend you see this movie. It might have the same theme as the first four movies, but unlike the first four, it's on a much higher scale.

Final Destination 5 Goes Hard! No spoilers

Author: Studly135 from United States
18 July 2011

So first off, I was able to catch an early screening in Pierce County and went in with somewhat lukewarm expectations. With the cast, director, writer, and budget on board I felt it could be good but I had a lot more fun than anticipated. Opening scene was one of the more intense and crazy. (I'm a fan of the 2nd). Very much improved visual effects here. The 3D was executed better than the 4th as well. Character wise it was obvious they did better casting (Nicholas, Tony, Emma). I truly wanted some of these randoms to live. Deaths here are top notch, very blunt and very cringe worthy. This movie truly did improve on all aspects that the 3rd and 4th lacked...a creepy realistic feel. A few new aspects are thrown in as well which help keep the story fresh and not feel repetitive. If you are ready for this 3D roller-coaster then go see this well made guilty pleasure.

Gruesome and impressive

Author: (birdieleigh) from United States
12 August 2011

I'm a huge fan of the Final Destination series. They aren't Oscar contenders, but they are certainly quite entertaining. However, after hearing a lot of negative feedback on the 4th FD, I decided not to watch it and hung my head in disappointment. I genuinely thought my favorite deadly franchise had finally bit the dust itself, and in a bad way. But when I heard about this fifth and final Final Destination, I decided to give it one more chance. Because hey, I hadn't been to the theater in awhile and if it sucked I'd at least have a good laugh. But, I am very happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised by Final Destination 5.

The story, as other reviewers have mentioned, really sets FD5 up to good prospects. It feels a lot more like the first FD, much darker without being too complex. I honestly liked the 2nd and 3rd ones a lot, but they were missing the creepy factor that the first installment had. This fifth episode really brings it back. The characters are surprisingly believable. Granted, you have the gratuitous hot chick and ladies man, but the characters never feel contrived or forced. Kudos to the actors for keeping this from being a $5-bin campy horror film.

The effects, even in 2D, were just as I think a film's effects should be: realistic enough to avoid the fake-factor, but not so excessive that they drown out everything else in the film. Yes, one could argue that these movies are all about death, but what always made them different for me from other horrors was the focus on build-up. The FD franchise has it's fans trained to watch for every little thing in a scene that could cause someone's demise until your skin crawls--and FD5 gives the audience this "detective" feeling perfectly.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much out of this movie. However, from the very beginning, I was impressed. A few points of warning: it is very graphic, but anyone who has seen any of the other FD films should know that already. Also, you will not enjoy this film as much if you haven't watched at least the 1st FD, if not the 2nd and 3rd as well. When you factor in the story and characters, the death and mayhem we've all come to love, and one of the best plot twists I've seen this year, FD5 is very worth watching. Go on, have some fun.

But you all just be careful, now. ;)

Death has never been closer.

Author: moviewizguy from United States
11 August 2011

Death is just as omnipresent as ever and is unleashed after one man's premonition saves a group of coworkers from a terrifying suspension bridge collapse. But this group of unsuspecting souls was never supposed to survive, and, in a terrifying race against time, the ill-fated group frantically tries to discover a way to escape Death's sinister agenda. - - (C) Warner Bros

If you're going in to see FD5, it's because you know what you're expecting. Although I'm a fan of the series, I'll admit it did show its staleness after FD2, which is arguably the series' high point. As expected, the formula hasn't changed, although there are a few new tweaks here, the main one including the addition that the survivors can now kill someone to take their life and maybe, just maybe, escape Death's clutches. It's interesting to note that this new twist is the opposite of what was offered in FD2, in which new life can defeat Death, but taking life is much more readily apparent and dramatic than creating new life. Not only do they have to worry about Death, but they also have to worry about what they are willing to do to survive, which provides some very tense external conflict between the characters.

As you guys might have figured out from the above, yes, FD5 has a plot this time around. There's also an unexpected ending that you will make you go OMG or WTF, if it isn't already spoiled to you, of course. It's also good to know that Eric Heisserer's tight script devotes some time to the survivors that are getting picked off. You start to feel for them as they are about to die. As much as I'm thankful for this, it's obvious that people still see these films for the opening disaster and death sequences, and they do not disappoint. Without spoiling anything, the opening bridge disaster is a nasty piece of work, utilizing the 3D to the fullest extent. I'm a huge horror fan, but even I found it very hard to watch, jerking my hands back as each character is killed off in grisly ways. Without a doubt, it's the best opening disaster since FD2.

And the death scenes. Wow. They are disturbing, funny, and shocking and sometimes all at the same time. This is because newcomer director Steven Quale plays with the audience's expectations. He lays out so many things that can kill off a character in a certain scene and when you think this sharp object will impale them, they die in a completely different way. The build up is what makes these films fun to watch (apart from the last one). I also liked the fact that this film returned to the original film's serious roots, which isn't to say that it takes itself too seriously because there's an underlying sense of dark humor that's strangely entertaining and self-aware of itself.

The ensemble cast is a mixed bag for sure. Our protagonist, Nicholas D'Agosto, doesn't really live up to his character's dramatic arc. He seems to overact his lines although he was much better in the second half. Emma Bell is a bit better although she wasn't as good as she was in FROZEN. Miles Fisher also doesn't live up to his character's internal struggle when giving off a whiny performance. However, the other supporting castmembers are quite good, including Ellen Wroe, Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, and Arlen Escarpeta. P.J. Byrne, in particular, is someone you should look out for, providing some of the film's biggest laughs, playing a character you just love to hate. David Koechner also provides some great laughs. I was disappointed with Courtney B. Vance though because he had little to do. Tony Todd is back since he was last seen in FD2 and he's like the American version of Snape (from Harry Potter). I love the way he delivers his lines with one...word...at...a...time.

Visually, the film has some above average production values. As said before, the bridge sequence is like something from a $100 million budgeted action flick. The 3D is the best that has been offered so far this year, which comes to no surprise seeing that Quale has worked with James Cameron on AVATAR. Even from the film's ingenious and original opening credits, we have shards of glass, knives, bodies, and blood flying at us in amazing sharpness. Yet the 3D gimmick can only go so far, and Quale knows that so he doesn't overdo it by providing us with scenes of depth. Honestly, it's the best of both worlds. The soundtrack by Brian Tyler is great as well and is definitely different from the previous entries.

All in all, FD5 brings unexpected new life to the dying franchise. The plot is handled well and most of the performances are good. If anything, this sequel proves that with new blood working behind the scenes can come a refreshing film. If you want to see the film, by all means see it in 3D because it is worth every penny. FD5 is shocking, entertaining, suspenseful, funny, disturbing, and is probably as good as FD2. It seems to be a good year for 5's (FAST FIVE included).

Final Destination 5 : The Best of Them All?

Author: Premillenium from United States
12 July 2011

Warning, spoilers MIGHT be ahead. The "Final Destination" franchise began going downhill rapidly from the third movie. But, will the fifth movie help the franchise go back up or will it continue going downhill fast? I saw this movie about a month ago, and I must say that, in my opinion, this is the most brutal, the most gruesome, and the most clever movie of the entire franchise. It has many well-thought out death scenes, and one death scene in the movie made me cringe and look away, and trust me, I watched A LOT of slasher/gornography films. One of the most famous scene is the lasik surgery which I thought was pretty good. I'm not going to spoil it for you. First off, this movie has a very interesting plot line. As you heard from the trailer, you know the new death rule, and I think it is pretty clever. But, why didn't Bludworth tell it to the others? Hmmm...? Second of all, the characters are very very relatable. You can actually tell if one hates the other, and one is friends with the other for a long time. Plus, you will also feel bad if one character dies. You will actually say "Oh, why did he/she die? NOOO!" Not just a typical "Oh, he/she died. Who's next?". The acting is very impressive, hence the professional and experienced actors. I think this is one of the reasons why this movie made it to my highest rank of the "Final Destination" franchise. Third, what is this franchise famous of? Exactly, the unique death scenes that happens from the materials/places we see/go to everyday. There are some death scenes here that are very gruesome that if I picture it, I either cringe or smile on how good the death scenes are. One death scene made it to my top 15 most brutal death scenes I have ever seen. Some of you might know it, some of you might not. One thing for sure is, you will know it when you see the movie in August. Lastly, the ending of the whole movie. The ending that made me gasp and left my jaw dropped open for the rest of the movie. It is a pity that many people know it already and spoiled it for everyone, because thy will not be as surprised as everybody on the screening when we reached the ending of the movie. All I gotta tell you is re-watch the whole franchise and soak in every scene you see.. :) So, this review might not be as long as you want it, or as detailed as you hoped for. But, all I have to say is watch the movie. It is way worth your money and your time.

The Best Sequel Yet!

Author: cadillac20 from Culver City, California
12 August 2011

Most likely, you're not reading this unless you're a fan and already plan to see the film. And if you are, then know that my review is based on my fandom and in relation to the series itself. Therefore, it will be in the context of horror films, slasher films, and more importantly, the series itself. With that out of the way, who would have though the fifth film would be the one. Ever since the original, the series has sort of meandered around, trying to recapture the initial wonder of death playing the part of a slasher and killing off a group of people.

Yes, Final Destination 5 is truly the best sequel since the first. There hasn't been this much tension and creativity since the original, and practically every scene is filled with an uncomfortable level of anxiety. This is what the film has truly been missing, whether spoiled by the trailers before it or just a lack of creativity. For the most part, Final Destination 3 and 4 (TFD) lacked the necessary level of creativity and menace that was present in the first film, and even in the second. However, we have plenty of that here and a few nice twists as well. While the kills are also pretty ridiculous, most are plausible and, unlike TFD, should please fans with their level of gore and brutality.

The filmmaking qualities here reach above the standard the film has set. It looks great, with plenty of swift and enticing editing that will make your skin crawl with anticipation. The acting, while still not of any award winning caliber, or even really all that great, is decent enough here. The portrayals are more realistic this time around. While the film had though to settle into the I-found-the-answers-on-the-internet routine, here we have a smooth flow in which characters sort of lose their mind trying to figure things out. And while some might have called the main couple's relationship cringe worthy, I actually found it to be quite well played out as the couple has real issues they work through on top of everything that's going on. Suffice to say, it's nice to see the FD series making better attempts at developing it's characters. Still not great, but better.

With that said, this is Final Destination, and problems persist. Despite better attempts at character development, the majority still play fodder for death's machinations. Sure, we learn a little about them, but it's not any more than the bare minimum: this guys a jerk, that girls wild, etc etc. There is also one kill, in particular, that, while brutal, defies logic. Sure, it's FD, but there is a certain point of ridiculousness where the line is drawn. The characters trying to figure out what's going on is also getting old. There's certainly a reason here, which I won't spoil, why our characters don't know about what is happening in the same way characters from previous films know. But this leads to the problem of it being explained too quickly. This might contradict what I said above, but what I mean is that Tony Todd's character if far too quick to reveal information and the new twist. In comparison to FD1, where things had a slow, natural pacing, here we get a couple death scenes, and explanation, and then more death scenes. The progression is better, but still not as good as the first two films.

Fans will truly enjoy this solid sequel. There are a couple twists, and the final scene will blow everyone away. It's beyond what you would expect, and very nearly worth seeing the film alone. But with a handful of creative and brutal twists and a decently put together film, this should certainly warrant a decent box office and, maybe unfortunately, another sequel or two.

This is one very fun ride

Author: rjamesnj from United States
12 August 2011

This will make you love all the FD films all over again. I saw this movie opening night and I am so very glad I did. They have stepped up the quality of the film and the creativity of the deaths. Not since FD2 have I enjoyed one of these films. If you read bad reviews do not trust them go see it for yourself and you will believe.

The acting was much better then number 4 not as good as number 2. Just when you thought you knew what was going to happen you are hit with a surprise and I was left saying wow. I saw the 2D version of the movie not really of big fan of 3D. The movie to me had good balance did not move to slow and the deaths were extremely creative and at times shocking.

Final Destination 5 meaning it isn't Final but Milked

Author: OneLostRonin from United States
20 August 2011

Final Destination 5 is the same movie you may have seen four times prior and of course if you have not then don't bother (with the exception of the very first film).

FD5 brings one new minor plot device to the series, kill or be killed, but this isn't nearly enough to distract the viewer from the fact every other sequence of events unfolds exactly as they have in the previous films. The acting here isn't anything special at all and the film is so predictable the only thing you're watching it for is how people die. If you're a gore-hound I could see you having some enjoyment from this film but otherwise skip it.

Final Destination has not been reinvigorated with new life, it has no promising future, and at this point it is simply being created because it can be "milked" for a decent profit.

Final Destination cinco!

Author: mgibson99805 from United States
8 August 2011

Holy crap! Just finished watching FD5 with my dad. Wow... I don't want to give away too much but it is definitely the best since the original. Each death scene is so elaborately planned and when everything falls into place, the result is...well death. The new twist gives it more of a plot unlike the past 2 Finals. I also recommend seeing FD5 in 3D. I haven't seen it in 2D, but I can't see it being the same.

All I will tell you, idk if this is a spoiler or not, but I can never look at a meat grinder again. Like the things they have at Quiznos and Jersey Mikes. So many chills and so much suspense in FD5.

Emma Bell also shined in this movie. She's not that stupid dumb blonde who does nothing in a horror movie. She's a bad-ass.

Same Crazy Deaths

Author: MBloodT from Philippines
27 August 2011

I really loved the opening credits of this film. It introduces the killers of the series. Random objects are the true killers of the these movies. They jump out of the screen and shows us how dangerous they are. Even the most innocent objects can be dangerous. The mysteriousness of the intro is obvious and it became intense when a dead corpse flies out of the screen then random blood splatters the broken glass. The film itself is a remake of the last four films. They added some new rules here but it doesn't change anything. At least this is better than the fourth one but in the end, this is just another sequel(or remake).

Here's the thing about Final Destination. It's an intriguing high concept horror movie. But after the second film, they decided to repeat all the things from the first movie and make the deaths more gory than ever. They added new things here like the "Kill or Be Killed" concept. It's pretty interesting but it doesn't make any changes. That concept just made the climax more psychological and create some twists. Like I say, this is just another Final Destination sequel.

If you're a fan of the film then you might enjoy it by its silly death scenes. Yep, the 3D use is gimmicky. Dangerous stuff, even the ones that aren't dangerous jumps out of the screen. Blood and gore throughout. See how fragile these people are. Here's the big problem, The film points at Molly as the important character of the film but she is really/very bland among all of them.

Final Destination 5 is just another Final Destination movie. Told some new rules but still no changes. The twist in the end reveals something intriguing but after that, it became pointless. This series means nothing but to show how dumb gory violence can happen by random accidents and little objects. The movie itself will make you unsatisfied but if you are seeing this for the stupid gory violence then this repetitive sequel is your satisfactory. Kind of.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]