IMDb > Think Like a Man (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Think Like a Man Flips Ideology of Steve Harvey's Book

Author: theauntsavant from United States
25 June 2012

Making non-fiction entertaining has to be more difficult than adapting a work of fiction. Yet it seems most Hollywood films-whether large or small scale-always include an obligatory emotional component usually in the form of a romance. Think Like a Man doesn't veer far from this general formula, and in the process alleviates the fresh insight we'd hoped for.

So is this romantic comedy entertaining? Sure, but as with other highly anticipated, overly hyped releases, fails to deliver any real substance. If you want to know how men actually think,read Steve Harvey's 2010 book "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man,"on which the film's based. The comedian/actor/radio host and author does a much better job at laying out the premise chapter-by-chapter. Then again isn't the book always better than the movie?

Despite the fact that the NY Times bestselling self-help was read by scores of females, no doubt fans of his personal advice segment heard daily on the syndicated Steve Harvey Morning Show—the film's approach flips delivery of Harvey's intended ideological route almost entirely.

Three of the specific types represented include: the Mama's Boy, the Non-Committer,self-proclaimed Playa and the recently divorced friend with a jaded view of committed relationships, although he's not being truthful about the feelings he harbors for his domineering ex-wife.

Fellow actor and stand-up Kevin Hart infuses the comic relief into the ensemble cast. The decisive spin adopted in creating the multi-faceted storyline, which weaves Harvey's words into a cohesive screenplay revolving around the characters, shifts from a woman's perspective to a man's. And unfortunately, the whole point of females getting an insider's view into the male psyche gets lost in the shuffle. The book provides serious life strategies for women rather than a common thread of interwoven scenarios of men reacting to how they think women think who've read Harvey's book.

Ultimately, the screen adaptation's a lot less complicated than it sounds. Nonetheless, you won't really learn how a man thinks ladies. Harvey appears on screen giving input, but not enough to make his presence effective. He also wouldn't advise women to definitively follow their hearts.

Some laughs, nothing more

Author: jutman-1 from Sweden
12 August 2012

Not a horrible film, some laughs and some good acting especially from Kevin heart. However, there is really no new ideas in this movie, and the general idea is (as so many times before) that all men think in a certain way, all women think in a totally different way. The stereotypes are getting really tiresome. Every person in the world fall in to a given category and the only way to get happy is to follow the crowd and get together with someone, cause the options are happily married or unhappily single. In the end everyone gets their partner and its basically because all of them read a self-help book. A self-help book? Really? Would be more believable if they had been matched up by aliens that came down to help out.

"Show of hands, how many of you retards own a self-help book? Thats your first problem, you cant help yourself because your "self" sucks. You helping yourself, that means you are being helped by a complete a**hole. Do as I say" -Billy Bob Thornton, School for Scoundrels

episodic bore

Author: zif ofoz from United States
3 February 2013

no character development - outside of the obvious - which is to bag a man or bag a woman!

a one dimensional walk through a bunch of guys (who are suppose to be cute and charming but come across as sort of creepy) and a bunch of girls who all wear clothes so tight it looks sprayed on.

not that there aren't a few laffs and chuckles - there are - but few and far between. and each relationship is so predictable you can go to use the bathroom - talk on the phone - get a snack - then come back to the movie and know exactly whats happening.

and please what was the purpose of having the two narrators - kevin hart and steve harvey - it's the same story!

this had the makings of a good movie bad there are some serious problems with the final product!

Goofs in the movie

Author: Ms. G from United States
13 September 2012

Terrence J's characters name was Michael Hanover,he introduced himself as this in the beginning and in the end of the movie, however in the middle of the movie in the scene where Regina Hall answers his phone she addresses him as Michael Atwater. You would think editors would have caught this when reviewing the film but I guess some things slip through the cracks. I played this back several times just to make sure I wasn't imagining things but there it was. Now I'm curious to see the other goofs in the movie that I may have missed. Overall, I did enjoy the movie. It would have also been nice if Kelly had a bigger role in the film.

But Act Like a Fool

Author: Chris_Pandolfi from Los Angeles, CA
20 April 2012

So far as I can tell, the intended purpose of Steve Harvey's book "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man" was to give women relationship advice from a male perspective, which in turn would help them find the right man. While I have no opinion on his words of wisdom, I do have a thing or two to say about "Think Like a Man," a film that injects Harvey's book into the plot of a romantic comedy. Silly and uninspired, it doesn't analyze his concepts in plausible, satisfying ways; instead, it applies them to manufactured vignettes in which the men are immature brats and the women are conniving and manipulative. There is no truth to any of the characters in this movie. They serve primarily as comedy relief, goofballs we're made to laugh at instead of with.

Taking place in Los Angeles, the film is essentially a series of interconnected subplots, all examining relationships between specific categories of men and women. Steve Harvey makes continuous appearances on television screens in homes and bars with the specific purpose of promoting his book; the women, intrigued, all decide to buy a copy and apply whatever advice they glean to the men in their lives. At first, the men are thrown for a loop. Then one of them catches wind of what their women are doing, leading them to buy the book and attempt to beat them at their own game. And so we must wade through an implausible and childish battle of wits before reaching a conclusion so neatly gift-wrapped that it seems to have transplanted from a third-rate sitcom.

Here's a rundown of the couples featured in this film. There's a real-estate agent named Kristen (Gabrielle Union) and her boyfriend, Jeremy (Jerry Ferrara), who still hasn't popped the question after nine years of being with her. Not only is she eager to motivate him apply for a job he's qualified for, she also wants him to stash his collection of sci-fi memorabilia so that she can redecorate to her heart's content. This would include getting rid of his couch, which has a colorful history to say the least. There's Mya (Meagan Good), who's fed up with one-night stands and decides to try out Harvey's ninety-day plan on her new boyfriend, Zeke (Romany Malco). This will not be easy for him; a smooth talker who knows all the good pickup lines, he's an unapologetic lothario with nothing on his mind apart from sex.

There's a caterer named Dominic (Michael Ealy), who's known for his lofty dreams. His current dream is to be a chef, and indeed, he has a talent for cooking. Into his life enters Lauren (Taraji P. Henson), a powerful executive who wants a man with a six-figure income and his own sense of power. Desperate to impress her, Dominic tells her that he already is a chef and is deciding between two restaurant offers. And then there's Candace (Regina Hall), a single mom and Lauren's best friend. She starts dating a man named Michael (Terrence J), who's domineered by his mother (Jenifer Lewis). Needless to say, no woman is good enough for her son, least of all a single mother. Incidentally, Candace's son, while perhaps a little too inquisitive, gets along splendidly with Michael.

Serving as both narrator and the annoying fifth guy character is Cedric (Kevin Hart), who spends most of the film acting like a fool and mooching off of Zeke. He's in the process of finalizing his divorce from his mostly unseen wife, and claims to be all the better for it. All five guys are friends and spend most of their time either in a bar or on a basketball court, where (you guessed it) they waste much of their energy complaining about the women in their lives. Tagging along is a superfluous man played by comedian Gary Owen, who serves no real purpose other than to be the butt of PG-13-appropriate racial slurs. There's even time for completely unnecessary cameo appearances by NBA players Metta World Peace, Shannon Brown, and Matt Barnes. Former WNBA player Lisa Leslie joins them as they successfully emasculate the main stars in a basketball game.

You know me. I'm usually the first to let a romantic comedy slide, simply because I accept them as nothing more than fantasy. But in this case, something went wrong. "Think Like a Man" regards genuine relationship advice as fodder for a series of inane jokes. The characters are so shallow, it's as if writers Keith Marryman and David A. Newman know absolutely nothing about men or women. For all I know, maybe they truly don't. Whenever Harvey appears on one of the many conveniently placed television sets, he always gives a piece of advice; each one had the potential to be applied to a complex and thought-provoking vignette, one in which the characters have a bit more depth to them. How sad that his book served as the basis for a film that shows no interest in real relationships.

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)

Started off slow but picked up tremendously towards the middle

Author: Shamontiel Vaughn from United States
20 April 2012

The beginning of the film started off a little rocky to me mainly because the trailers showed so many good joking scenes so when they appeared in the film, I didn't really get to enjoy the laugh. Women complained about men. Men complained about women. I LOVE Kevin Hart and Michael Ealy, and I've just gotten more hip to Romany Malco after hearing him on "The Breakfast Club" (saw "40-Year-Old Virgin" but I couldn't have told you his name by heart up until that interview). And as much as I enjoy watching Taraji Henson act (her hair looked GREAT in the film), respect La La Anthony and Gabrielle Union, Regina Hall was who I wanted to see most on the women's side mainly because she was absolutely hilarious in the Style Magazine interview. Her comedic face and timing are way underrated and not taken advantage of in this film. But with that said, this turned out to be a great film for reasons I didn't expect.

1) I had no idea Morris Chestnut was even in the film. (Spoiler alert: I have been on that Morris-Chestnut-date. It is the WORST so I buried my head reliving it while watching this movie.) 2) Michael Ealy and Taraji Henson had some seriously juicy makeout scenes. They weren't as memorable as the one with Halle Berry in "Their Eyes Were Watching God," but there was definitely tongue action involved. Two hot people in a hot scene made for great "Oooh, look at them!" moments.

3) Kevin Hart (If I need to explain anything past his name, you need to do some comedic research. Everything about Kevin Hart in this movie was great.) And my gawd, his wife...I was NOT expecting her to be in the film either, but those two are almost equally nuts.

4) Jerry Ferrara is someone I didn't know before this film and I probably wouldn't have put him and Gabrielle Union together, but those two were too cute on film. I got the impression he was shorter than her, but those two were the second most fun couple to watch.

5) I was really impressed with Terrence J.'s acting. I saw "Stomp the Yard 2" and thought it was terrible, but in this movie, he did a great job. Jenifer Lewis is going to bring out anybody's personality when she's next to him, but Terrence J. held his own all by himself.

6) The guest appearances from some major stars like Kelly Rowland, Chris Brown and Arielle Kebbel were fun to see. Kelly impressed me with her acting. I already knew Chris Brown was a very good actor. And I'm a HUGE "The Vampire Diaries" fan so anything with Arielle Kebbel in it is going to make me happy to see her. You'll also see some pop-up appearances from other popular comedians like Tony Rock, Bruce Bruce and Luenell.

Steve Harvey wasn't kidding when he said some of everybody was in this film. There are cameos everywhere, but they all make sense. People are really playing parts, not just thrown in to say "look, I'm a celeb and I'm in this movie, too." Fellas will go for the comedy and the beautiful women (love Meagan Good's hair, too). Ladies will go to crack up laughing at Kevin Hart and point out which one of the women they are FROM Steve Harvey's book. Or, they'll applaud the guys for making fun of the book (there are two extreme sets of readers for this book). Either way it goes, it's a great film and I like the way it ended, including that Morris Chestnut date that was too close to home (for me).

Not bad; Not great. Kevin Hart made the movie.

Author: Beatrice McClearn from Maryland
22 April 2012

It's not bad, but it's not great either. I personally did not support the book because it was nothing more than a marketing tool used to make Steve Harvey more money. I'm not mad at him, I'm just not in his target market.

If I didn't like movies so much, or reviewing them, I would've passed on this movie too. Surprisingly it was hilarious...thanks to the awesome little short man that goes by the name "Cedric" played by Kevin Hart. Otherwise it was an average movie about women being ruled by a book on relationships and men playing into predetermined roles.

More power to Steve Harvey for turning pages, and heads, but it's not one of my favorite movies to date. It would fit perfectly in a sleepover blockbuster night for single women.

Definitely one of the worst films of 2012 so far...

Author: TheQuietStorm from New York City
28 May 2012

I'm proud of this film's success. Will Packer and Rainforest work hard and they deserve it. But this film is weak on so many levels. Being based on a "self-help" book, this screenplay was crammed with nothing but on-the-nose dialogue that left me bored and fidgety for the most part. Outside of Kevin Hart, there wasn't a single thing funny about this film. Okay, maybe once or twice I laughed but one time it was at something I don't think was meant to be funny (actor Romany Malco singing with his guitar). You can't call a film a comedy where only one character was remotely, or should I say barely humorous. I found more humor in dramas like American Beauty, City Lights, and The Graduate.

This film seemed to just flat-line from beginning to end. When I say flat, I mean literally flat. Nothing happened until the guy-meets-girl moments, and that took a while to get to. Once the relationships started, the weak conflicts seemed to be limited to the superficiality of Steve Harvey's best selling book. No inner conflicts, not even conflict on the extra-personal level.

I could've done without most of the characters which can read like a list of players on a football team. They had no purpose and added nothing to the telling, like the married guy amongst them, Bennett played by Gary Owen. I know a lot of people loved this film. But can anyone seriously say they got to know any of the characters? Also, I had a hard time buying most of the relationships. The worst of them all had to be Jerry Ferrara with Gabrielle Union. It was like having to suspend your disbelief watching them together and that didn't even work for me. I didn't believe they even knew each, let alone them being in a 13 year relationship. At a glance, I would faster believe Union was Ferrara's babysitter or nanny, not her man. It was one big spoof to me.

The next absurd relationship was Regina Hall and the guy from 106 and Park, Terrence Jenkins. I didn't believe he and Hall went to high school at the same time. In fact, she could've passed for his mother as well.

Taraji Henson's relationship with Michael Ealy was also hard to stomach, as I had trouble believing a woman with her success in business wouldn't question Ealy's facade.

I liked the relationship between Meagan Good and Romany Malco but it was so contrived, like everything else about this film.

And the next black film made showing black friends discussing their relationships while trying to play basketball should have little-tree car re-fresheners hanging from theater ceilings for the sake of audiences. Why? Because such expository scenes are a load of steaming crap. Guys don't stand around on the court discussing such things, or play ball while having those kinds of conversations. I know they did it in The Brothers (2001) and it was b.s. then as it still is now.

The telling had no direction, no point-of-view. It could've been anyone or anything's story at any given time, which left me confused and disengaged. I was waiting for the fire hydrant's storyline eventually.

I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't. In the end, I was dissatisfied and utterly annoyed.

More an Ode to Steve Harvey than a real Movie

Author: TamPalm from United States
22 April 2012

Excruciatingly bad. That's my takeaway from this movie. As other critics have stated, this is just one big infomercial for Steve Harvey's book. I will go a step further and say it's a big ol' "that-a-boy" from Steve to himself. Gag me now.

The plot is non-existent. The "movie" is just an array of vignettes that sloppily intersect and form silly lessons from the "great one" (Harvey) about relationships. The characters are just there. There is no real development except the trite, predictable "I see the light now" that brings the manufactured happy endings to each vignette. The writing is HORRIBLE. The production is low-budget. The list goes on of things that make this "movie" forgettable.

However,there are small but significant peeps of light through the otherwise dark cloud that is this ode to Harvey. The all-star cast tries really hard and sometimes succeeds at making this horrible script entertaining. I will highlight Michael Ealy's character as a ray of sunshine. The combination of his looks including those piercing eyes and his acting chops make his character appealing and dreamy, despite his being mismatched with the older-looking Taraji Henson. Gabrielle Union does a decent job with her character and she and her beau have the most interesting, believable story line of the movie. The numerous cameos would be kind of cute if they didn't leave you with the impression that their inclusion is just yet another way for "the great one" to show he is "somebody" and that he "knows people." I digress as I find myself getting back to the negative even in the paragraph I had reserved to show the few positives of the movie.

Bottom line, this is an ego-driven "I love myself" fest of Steve Harvey. I am wholly disappointed in the Rainforest crew who produced it, as I thought they would have grown more in their movie-making than they have apparently. They are still putting out low-budget, poorly-constructed films. It seems the only difference is that they are getting paid more now to do so. It's a shame. They had the opportunity to make this movie a quality movie. It could have been so much more than it was.

You will not regret skipping this movie.

Hits the Spot

Author: namuun100 from London, England
27 April 2014

This movie hit the spot for me, My kind of romantic comedy! When you're really craving for a sweet romantic comedy, this movie will definitely do the trick-it has all the things you could ever want. It's got an amazing plot, amazing cast and all. I won't be exaggerating if I say it is the best romantic comedy I've seen so far, and that's saying a lot,cause there are many terrific movies out there. I just have to say This IS a MuST watch movie for movie lovers, you can relate to, it's all real and fun! All the couples were so inspiring, they way both men and woman strive to make their relationships work. The way LOVE made the men change throughout the movie is really heartwarming. Personally, the my favorite guy was Zeke,cause he really changed, the first time he said " I love you" , that just melted me, I had teary eyes. the film was beautiful from start to end, a Very Well Done Movie.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]