IMDb > Think Like a Man (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Think Like a Man

Think Like a Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Can't believe the rating is so low

Author: mohammed-helal-eng from United States
6 May 2012

Friend of mine referred me to this movie to go see with my girl. I saw the rating on IMDb and was hesitant. However, he insisted, so I went for it.

The movie is funny as hell. It may run for two hours but for me and my girl it passed by quickly; there's always something going on keeping you interested or making you laugh.

I don't need to write a detailed review. If you're hesitant, don't be...it's worth it!

PS I'd really give this movie an 8, but I feel like the current rating is way too low.

Another PS: I'm not black!

Amazing feel good movie

Author: bynari-1 from United Kingdom
26 August 2012

Don't be put off by the low ratings. So far the movie has only been rated 6700 times which isn't really enough for it to shadow the minority ratings.

I suspect there's been a lot of men who aren't into these types of movies that have been forced to watch it with their girlfriends and have then given it low ratings because it definitely leans towards being more of a soppy romantic comedy than a gritty one.

It's definitely not a 'fairy-tale soppy romantic' movie by any means. I would class it as having a realistic amount of soppyness which is what makes it good.

The main cast are pretty diverse in their personalities so most people will be able to relate to someone in the movie, but even if you can't it's got enough comedy/fun in it to keep you entertained.

I think racially this movie is fantastic and it makes a lot of very positive statements. We have a mostly black cast with a very middle class Friends(TV series)'ish feel to them with 2 white guys in the group, 1 of whom has a black girlfriend.

There's a couple of light racially inspired jokes at the expense of one of the white guys in the group which further emphasises that race just isn't and shouldn't be a serious issue in the group.

It's really nice to see a movie like this with a nice intelligent middle-class group of African Americans. Too many movies focus on the gangster element of African American culture these days, so I think this is a really positive and refreshing movie.

I definitely recommend it to everyone except those who are put off by a bit of soppy romance.

The Kevin Hart Show

Author: Catt Jones (cattjones@chixchatonfilm.com) from TX, United States
21 April 2012

I am sure that a lot of folks will think that this is a film to plug Steve Harvey's book, but trust me when I say that the book does not need plugging since it made the best seller list (just wanted to get that off my chest). This is one of those films that I am going to have to watch again because the audience was laughing so loud and long that I fear I missed some of the jokes. That being said ….. Kevin Hart (Cedric) is a fool (in a good way). He had me (and the rest of the audience) cracking up. His comic timing and expressions are priceless. The relationship between Dominic (Michael Ealy) and Lauren (Taraji P Henson) was probably the most honest (compared to the others). I like the reference that they made to For Colored Girls (classic). I have always considered Michael Ealy to be very sexy and he did not disappoint in this film (Yum). Michael (Terrance Jenkins) was a true mama's boy almost to the point of being sickening, but Candace (Regina Hall) did what she had to do to rectify that situation. The longtime relationship between Jeremy (Jerry Ferrara) and Kristen (Gabrielle Union) is one that a lot of couples will be able to relate to. Finally, Zeke (Romany Malco)…. What can I say, there are a bunch of you out there and I am glad that Mya (Meagan Good) stuck to her guns. The only negative thing that I would say about the film is that I am not sure that Alex (Chris Brown) needed to keep popping in on the scenes. It was kind of redundant since the film already had a "playa". Wendy Williams (Gail) and Sherri Shephard (Vicki) had small roles in the film, but it was good to see the talk show hosts represent. I think that a lot of people may see this film as a "chick flick", but I like to think of it as a great date movie. I think that the implied war of the sexes will appeal to all and if nothing else, Kevin Hart will keep you in stitches. This film is well worth the price of a ticket. Put down the book and get out and see this film because this will be the one that they will be talking about next to the water cooler on Monday. I am giving this film a green light.

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: Amanda Kitchens
19 April 2012

I have seen the previews for this movie & thought it was definitely one to pick up at Redbox, not pay $10 to see. Boy was I wrong. I walked out of the pre-screening pleasantly surprised. Not only is it hilarious from beginning to end, the cast is perfect. Kevin Hart made this movie what it is, he was great. The pairing of the couples couldn't have been more believable. It was above and beyond what I expected going into the theater. Not to mention i've never seen an audience so into a movie, nobody had a bad thing to say about it. I am so glad I got to see this early so I can be sure to let everyone know its worth paying to see. I would probably pay full price to see it again to be honest....DON'T MISS THIS ONE!! It's clear to me the people who rated it 3 stars definitely haven't seen this movie.

Brilliant movie! Absolutely loved it!

Author: niovi_555
28 August 2012

I watched this movie not expecting anything great, taking in consideration its very low IMDb rating. It completely proved me wrong, and it absolutely made my day. It was funny, charming, and full of really great moments. I loved the fact that the movie was following more than one relationship. It has a great storyline. The characters are great, and all the couples in the movie have great chemistry between them. Even though Cedric was the funniest character in the movie, all the others always had something pretty funny to say. I loved seeing Turtle in something else besides Entourage, he's a really great actor. The soundtrack is also amazing. I would definitely recommend this to all my friends.

Predicable but well executed.

Author: gregarious1987 from Nairobi, Kenya
13 August 2012

There are ups and downs to this flick. The story is interesting and unique. The cast is beautiful, the emotions are spot-on all through the film. Another plus is the humor. Every character has a situation that we can all relate to. A momma's boy, a player, a divorcée... All characters that we have interacted with at one point.

Kevin Hart does an exceptional job and he stands above the rest of the cast. The downer is the last quarter of the movie. It gets too sappy for a dude. The resolutions of the relationships become way too predictable. I mean, it's predictable down to the actual words spoken by the couples.

That aside, this is a movie suitable for a night in with your girl, or a date. It will set your chic in the mood :-) A better than average movie, and still worth your money.

Not my cup of tea...

Author: stuffed-pumpkin from United States
7 October 2012

Watching this, I have a vague feeling that I'm watching a well-written infomercial with good acting. It has sweet moments and some good laughs, but I just can't shake that feeling of watching an infomercial, especially when a character holds up the book while she's referencing it. I'm not African-American and I haven't seen the end of it yet, but I can tell already that I'm just not thrilled with it. There's a lot of common sense-type ideas in it... and I really can't figure out why these women are messing around with men they don't really like or respect in the first place.

But then again, I'm really not a big fan of romantic comedies anymore, so maybe I'm a little biased. Plus, this movie was someone else's pick, not mine. I know that not everybody feels the way I do about this movie.

Ignore ratings, very good film!

Author: Rizwan Ali from United Kingdom
14 September 2012

This film is much better than it's rating! Obviously it's not jammed full of amazing special effects and Oscar winning performances but it doesn't pretend to be either. The film is what it is a light hearted, feel good, comedy romance.

Strongly recommend watching if you're feel a little bored or want a movie to kill time with some great laughs provided by Kevin Hart.

The story line is a little predictable but no need to worry because the laughs make up for it. All I can say is just watch the film, you won't be disappointed, I'm certain you will be pleasantly surprised.

Great film 8/10 will be looking out for part 2 :)

RTeally Sucked / 1 hour too long!!

Author: skipweo from United States
30 April 2012

Typical 'clown' movie.

Guys are players.

Girls are either ho's, a 'shackee', or a "nice" single mom.

Bros play the ho's.

the ho's play the bros, and they all end up happily ever after.

A 2 hour commercial for Steve Harvey.

Save your money and go see Tyler Perry movies instead!!!! Kevin Hart? - Cool! And for those who say they laughed throughout? - NOT!! And those reviewers who used the term 'racist' - NOT!! This is just one bad / silly movie

The date night from hell

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
31 August 2012

In 2009, entertainer, game show host, and radio personality Steve Harvey released a book called Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment, and after plugging it on The Oprah Winfrey Show, it quickly climbed to the top of the bestseller's lists and soared in popularity with women everywhere. This sudden surge in demand for a book "exposing" men for what they really are led Harvey to create a follow-up novel called Straight Talk, No Chaser: How to Find, Keep, and Understand a Man, but considering how this film became a surprising box office success, it wouldn't surprise me if we'll be talking about that film in a matter of time.

In my above sentence, I put the word "exposing" in quotations because I am unable to fathom why Harvey's self-help book has gained so much notoriety amongst single women. It seems everything that is discussed in the film about men wanting sex, wanting a looser relationship, and wanting less constraints in a commitment is something most people knew before this book surfaced. Did someone just need to print them and spell them out for people? Did it really need to ostracize men as the soul source of many relationship problems, and continue to feed the idea that all men are cut from the same cloth? I'm not sure, but as a film motivated to take the idea of a self-help book and incorporate its ideology into a film counterpart, it's labored and shockingly uninteresting for the most part.

The film follows the lives of several couples, whose relationships are failing because, of course, it's the males efforts or lack thereof that are soiling the chemistry and the recipe for success. We have Dominic (Michael Ealy) a capable, but unmotivated soul; a trait that his new business executive girlfriend, Lauren (Taraji P. Henson) can definitely change. Michael (Terrence J), a man so attached to his mother that the girlfriend becomes the second priority. His high school crush, Candace (Regina Hall), a single mom as well, whom he recently reconnects with, feels that in order to make a relationship work, she'll need to fix this. Jeremy (Jerry Ferrara) is dating Kristen (Gabrielle Union), who is upset because he is reluctant to pop the question and is very fearful of committing to anything. And who could forget Zeke's (Romany Malco) dilemma? His girlfriend Mya (Meagan Good) puts him on a love lockdown, meaning that since he is known as a player and a complete and total ladies man, that he will be prohibited from sex until ninety days of knowing each other.

It's also an obligation that these pals have a wise-ass best friend who, in this case, is Kevin Hart's Cedric, recently divorced, and frequents many strip clubs. He's definitely the most interesting character here, but look at his competition. Uninteresting males accompanied by equally uninteresting females in a contrived plot serving as extended product placement for a surprise bestseller. Put that on the back of the DVD.

So, it takes the men a little while to piece together why their girlfriends have become vindictive and overcompensating, and soon they realize they have unwillingly become victims to their new passing-phase, which is the self-help novel. They decide to read it and use Harvey's ideology against the women as a defense tactic for themselves. Color me not surprised, but heartbroken. Two wrongs don't make a right, and this is where contrivance triumphs logic, reason, and humanity.

Think Like a Man is also plagued with the most hopelessly unbelievable setup of the year, so far. Even more asinine than our sixteenth president being a cold blooded vampire hunter. As we watch this film, we see women who appear to be compassionate, understanding, and, for the most part, good-natured. One impossibly tries to grasp the idea that these women would become gridlocked to the rules of the genius of Steve Harvey that they'd begin to live their life by his advice and tips. One finds it almost shiveringly absurd that an independent, free-thinking individual would not realize that these ideas of men being motivated by sex and ego, along with requesting the loosest possible rules by women, have existed for the past hundred years and will probably lurk around for another hundred years. I hate to say this, but the film stereotypes men into careless, unfeeling slobs and doesn't leave much redemption for the women. C'mon, this is sitcom stuff.

Think Like a Man was written by Keith Merryman and David A. Newman, who are responsible for penning last year's Friends With Benefits, a comedy I've grown to think less of over time. It was essentially a romantic comedy playing dress-up, acting like it wasn't part of the cliché crowd, but when the layers of dress-clothes came off one by one, by the third act, we saw what was coming and we became disappointed and slightly cheated. Think Like a Man is a little different. It shows up with a questionably quirky premise, offers the disheartening thoughts that women can and will be manipulated by loose-lipped trite composed into a novel, men will continue to accept and receive most blame for failing relationships, and occasionally, we'll be poked in the gut with a zinger by comedian Kevin Hart. To me, it sounds like an overlong date night from hell.

Starring: Michael Ealy, Jerry Ferrara, Meagan Good, Regina Hall, Kevin Hart, Terrence J, Taraji P. Henson, Romany Malco, Gabrielle Union, and Steve Harvey. Directed by: Tim Story.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]