IMDb > "The Chicago Code" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Chicago Code"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Chicago Code" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Cop Fluff, But The Best Kind!

Author: koivulag from Canada
8 February 2011

I really enjoyed the premiere episode of this new cop series. Going in I had no idea what to expect and having very little knowledge of Chicago I had no bias.

Let's be clear; this is no hard hitting show. This is no Southland. It's not the opposite in complete nonsensical fluff and action scenes in Hawaii Five O either. It's a show based on the incredible power of great acting and the dynamic characters that are created because of it. It uses quick and interesting flashbacks that allow you to immediately connect with the characters, as well as establish unity amongst the rest of the cast.

The first episode started off the series in perfect fashion, grabbing my attention and initiating multiple story lines while throwing in a ton of action sequences and great dialogue. The main three characters are tremendous. Jennifer Beals is completely believable as the hard hitting, straight and narrow first female Superintendent who is transforming the entire force. Delroy Lindo was made for the role of Alderman Ronin Gibbons. Jason Clark plays the perfect intense Jarek Wysocki.

I can't wait for the next episode and hope this show gains a lot of heat as it was thoroughly entertaining and left me wanting for more.

Give it a shot if you're on the fence and enjoy shows based on solid characters and quick flowing episodes.

Chicago cops struggle to stem corruption in the city.

Author: einnoc10 from United States
9 February 2011

This show is just going to get better and better. How do I know that? Because Jason Clarke, who played Red in Johnny Depp's Dillinger movie "Public Enemy" and also played the "good" political brother on the series "Providence" is a wonderful actor and Jennifer Beals and DelRoy Lindo aren't too shabby, either. Plus, you've got Chicago, the city of big shoulder and beautiful skylines. As creator Shawn Ryan (who grew up in nearby Rockford) said: "Chicago is the center of the universe." And, as the script on Tuesday, February 7, premiere night, put it: "If you can't love Chicago, you can't love anything. This city survived the Chicago fire and ended up building the world's most beautiful skyline. If it's one thing Chicago knows, it's how to hit back." The city of Chicago is a big part of this storyline, as many of the scenes were filmed in the streets and alleys and byways (my son walked in on one in a Bridgeport bar last summer). Trust me: This series is only going to get better and better. The anti-profanity cop who changes partners almost daily. The crusading female police Superintendent who came up as a beat cop. The 114 real Chicago policemen who have appeared in episodes so far: they're all going to come through, as long as the writing continues to have lines like, "Why are you sweating like we just entered you in a spelling bee." (See my full review at Associated Content).

Take the pledge, follow the code and don't miss this show!!

Author: ppfclark from Canada
22 February 2011

Police procedural drama at it's best! AWESOME!!!!!! From Sean Ryan (The Shield). Ryan's penned most of the episodes himself. Highly stylized, very commercial and easily accessible. Snappy dialogue, interesting use of narration and strong performances help elevate this show to programed viewing.

I felt the need to post this review (my first on IMDb) after reading the 1/10 review posted by a former member of the Chicago Police Force. Although I echo his sentiments that this show is not an accurate depiction of life on the streets of Chicago and I can see where real police officers might take offence; this is a prime-time network COP show. Surely this show is not nearly as offencive as CSI Miami is to crime scene investigators or how Michael Bay spat in the faces of WWII vets with his shocking "Pearl Harbor" (Thank god he's been restricted to playing with his toy robots and is no longer toying around with history).

Yes! It's highly sensationalized, over the top and not in any way true to life... BUT... That doesn't mean it doesn't rock. David Simon's "The Wire" was real political commentary that strove for gritty realism. It addressed real problems and suggested real solutions. THIS IS NOT "THE WIRE". High level corruption, the Irish mob and dirty cops are mere plot devices used to raise the stakes for our idealistic heroes. It's Hollywood drama boxed into 42 minutes or less a week. It's polished TV with great production value and lush exterior photography (filmed on location, unlike the creepy CSI labs that scream POORLY LIT STUDIO SET).

TV vet. and character actor Jason Clarke rocks! He embodies and breaths life into an otherwise over the top character. Jarek Wysocki (a man of true grit) is as unforgettable a character as Vic Mackey ("The Shield"). Sean Ryan is a great writer. His strength as a writer is in fleshing out overly romanticized heroes and anti-heroes. Realism and political commentary are secondary to character development. His dialogue and banter shine. Finally a network TV show that doesn't center itself around weekly licensed music montages (CSIs/Grey's Anatomy/Smallville/House = worst offenders).

Hair, make-up and costume departments need to tone things down. Cars and clothes are too new and far to expensive for honest, incorruptible public servants. A little more grit would serve this show well. The show's off to a great start. Let's hope they can keep the ball rolling.

Chicago's Finest

Author: tim-972-738059 from United States
9 February 2011

My wife and I are very picky about the types of shows we watch, especially when it comes to crime dramas. They are a dime a dozen.

So, I went in to last night's episode with great skepticism and my finger ready to hit a different channel at a moment's notice.

But from the very beginning, this show grabbed us. Who cares if it is not "realistic" based on some anonymous Chicago cop review? It's a fictional drama. The show is well-casted, great dialogue, and a good storyline.

I love the narration by the different characters and the unexpected ending of the initial pilot that makes you connect with the characters and anticipate the next episode.

So far, so good.

Best Cop Show EVER!

Author: alkerfn-mw from United States
25 May 2011

This show has (or had) it all. The story lines in this drama series kept me on my seat week after week. The undercover cop, the death of Wysocki's brother, the infidelity, the strong woman as lead cop.... Enough with the same old Law and Order mindless, stolen from the headlines dribble. Finally a cop show with guts. I really don't care if the one time Chicago cop didn't find it real! Maybe he didn't get the memo. It's a TV SHOW! Not a DOCUMENTARY! It's purpose is to entertain you. Maybe Glee is more his liking! The final 2 episodes were the best I have yet to see on a TV series. I never knew what to expect and the plots and subplots were simply undeniably sensational and unexpected. I sure hope some other channel picks this show up. Before it is too late!

Great fun, shot mostly on location in one of the most photogenic cities in the country

Author: ron3-2 from United States
15 February 2011

There have only been two episodes so far, but I love the overall direction of the story line, as well as the writing.

I spent the first 6 years of my life in Chicago, and returned many times after that until I was around 30 or so. It's now been a couple decades plus since I've been back. Nonetheless, the city is instantly recognizable here--even though it seems to be shot so far mostly on the south side, and I've spent all my time there as a kid and young adult on the north side.

Chicago has a very distinctive visual personality made from a mix of fairly unique residential architecture, back alleys and of course, the omnipresent El, threading it's way through, and connecting together, various areas of the city. That so much of every episode is shot on location really helps give this story about the mix of corrupt politics with cops + robbers an anchor in reality--even if some reviewers here consider the plot line itself a bit light on reality, or even disrespectful to the real memory of the officers with whom they themselves served.

While I can't comment on that aspect, so far I love it for what it is--a thoughtful, fun and well acted action police drama with an exciting visual style. This one should be a winner for Fox.

Ron H

Great Series

Author: pammysinn-53-552288 from Canada
14 May 2011

Personally I love the show and was sad to read it has been cancelled. I saw the premier episode and was hooked right away on the characters. I love the tension between the Superintendent and the Alderman. It reminds of the few really good shows that have been on over the years - i.e., Hill Street Blues; NYPD Blue. A previous review stated the he thought Jennifer Beals accent was not genuine but I have seen her in an interview and she stated she was born in Chicago.

Waseki is a great character. Perhaps a problem with some people who do not appreciate the show is that they are not paying attention to the excellent one- liners that he delivers.

Excellent

Author: binky8177 from Here
23 May 2011

I didn't watch this show much when it started but after I caught a few episodes here and there throughout the season, I wish I had watched the entire season. I found each of the episodes I watched to be very entertaining and exciting. I watched the last 4 or 5 episodes regularly, which was very easy since I was watching House in the time slot immediately before Chicago Code. While watching the final episodes, particularly the episodes during the last 2 weeks of the season, I couldn't help feeling extremely frustrated that the show had been cancelled by Fox. I think it had a lot of promise and that promise was thrown aside. I wish that Fox would have taken a chance on a show like this and ditched some of the stupid reality shows that seem to permeate every network's schedule now-a-days. Hopefully Fox will replace it with an equally entertaining or more exciting show next season and not more of that BS reality garbage. R.I.P. The Chicago Code

First Impressions

Author: ldrmd6
12 March 2011

Delroy Lindo makes it for me - he definitely demonstrates that a character can be both slithery and seductive (dare I say EVIL?), just like T-Bag in Prison Break.

I appreciate the potential for cutting character development between the prime detective and his (potentially) ever-changing partner, but I still reserve judgment on the female lead. She definitely deserves the chance to prove herself (JB needs to dissolve type-casting), but her physical presence so far does not match what her Chicago Code job description demands.

The plots are engaging, and the corruption believable. Thus far I am engaged, and I am sincerely rooting that the show continues to be WOWable.

Great Cop Show

Author: Tracy Searle from United Kingdom
28 July 2011

I am shocked to be watching the last episode ever of this great show. I have a tendency to become bored with a series very quickly but this one has kept me entertained... I have been wishing for certain characters to succeed & others to fail or fall. Very good TV. I can not believe its ending after just one series. Fox need a slap, good & proper. Its great getting these shows via Sky but am getting fed up of getting into some really good shows to only find out towards the end of the first or second series that they've been cancelled. Lie to me being another great show from the states!

Thanx for the chance to have a rant...

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]