IMDb > Paan Singh Tomar (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A Great Effort!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
5 May 2012

A biopic of Paan Singh Tomar, an Indian Athlete who turned Dacoit, 'Paan Singh Tomar' is A Great Effort! Talented Filmmaker Tigmanshu Dhulia makes a biopic, that turns out to be a dazzling experience! Its a Well-Made Film in all respects.

'Paan Singh Tomar' works because the journey of the late Athlete/Dacoit keeps you engrossed & captivated. Here's a biopic, that mixes reality with entertainment. Though a heavy subject, 'Paan Singh Tomar' offers humor, action & most of all, a strong moral! Tigmanshu Dhulia & Sanjay Chauhan's Screenplay mixes reality & entertainment, most efficiently. Tigmanshu Dhulia's Direction is flawless. Cinematography & Editing, are excellent.

Performance-Wise: Irrfan shines as 'Paan Singh Tomar'. The versatile actor proves his mettle once again by delivering a performance, that deserves a National-Award. Without a doubt, this is his finest performance to date. Mahi Gill plays her part well. Vipin Sharma, Rajendra Gupta, Imran Hasnee, Nawazuddin Siddiqui & Zakir Hussain are decent. Brijendra Kala is astonishing in a brief, yet important role.

On the whole, 'Paan Singh Tomar' is A Big Winner! Strongly Recommended!

Excellent Movie revealing the truth

Author: praveen-nishchal from Bhubaneswar, india
4 May 2012

This movie is awesome. Paan Singh Tomar was one of the best Indian Cinema i have ever seen.He was an Indian athlete and a seven-time national steeplechase champion during the 1950s and 1960s.It is truth that the popularity of cricket has overshadowed other games from flourishing and other games are not receiving attention.Sufferers has been Hockey, Athletics,Football and many others.Many of these players died penniless and some was forced to sell their medals and they got no support from Government.We should raise our voice to the government so that they help such person. I am not criticizing cricket. I am a die hard cricket fan but we should not forget those sports-person who laid their whole life and brought honor to our nation. It is upon viewers to popularize a game. My urge is that players must be paid attention after they discontinue their service to this country.

This is what Indian cinema is capable of !!!!

Author: Aditya Upadhyay from India
17 April 2012

First thing is if Indian film fraternity can up with films like Paan Singh Tomar, why do they have to make sequels & remake south Indian movies. In one word its awesome & Oscar worthy effort.This movie is the dwarf representation of what Indian cinema is capable of.

Coming to the point,Paan Singh Tomar is the story of a National Steeplechase race champion who served Indian Army & later became a bandit after fighting with the intricacies & injustice in rural India over a land feud over ancestral property. But the bigger message is ""Are we remunerating sport icons enough of what they deserve, after the laurels they bring to our country with scarce facilities?"

Irfan Khan has given a stellar performance in the title role of Paan Singh Tomar. His ever protruding eyes have done most of the acting. You could feel the emotions during certain scenes viz. when he went to meet his his coach Major Randhawa portrayed by Rajender Gupta after giving the newspaper interview & when he annoyed over Indian society which doesn't bother when you win medals for your country but lauds when you trick the police of 3 states.

Mahie Gill, Rajender Gupta, Vipin Sharma have given an able support to Irfan. What binds you to the mood & tone of the movie is the excellent cinematography while capturing the era of 60s & 70s.

Also the dialect & diction of Madhya Pradesh just keeps you connected to the characters.The soul piercing performances of the actors, excellent cinematography, tight & crisp plot, memorable dialogues especially "Kaho Haan" are just the perfect ingredients for a movie.

Overall a 9/10 movie. Awesome & must watch.

This is an Oscar material - Rare yet Great Subject, Amazing screenplay and awesome acting

Author: Sanjay Vyas from Houston TX
13 April 2012

Some people make cinema to make money..some for hobby and some people are born to make cinema..I consider Tigmanshu undoubtedly falls in the last category. What he has made including this movie is the "real" cinema. As a matter of fact, this movie must be nominated for Oscars to show the real talent which exists in Indian cinema. Tigmanshu has taken a very bold step without worrying about the commercial equation for this movie which is dedicated to the sportsmen in India who were totally ignored even though they made India shine in International Sports. Each frame of this movie is worth watching for it's detail, dialogs, acting and expressions. Tigmanshu infuses life into every actor however small their role is..take for instant, Paan Singh's mother..she is probably a non-mainstream actor but she has acted so well for whatever scenes she was in. This is true for every actor who comes on the any frame. The police inspector, the rival relatives, coach, military officer..I mean, every character leaves a mark and does so effectively. Then, the age progression..there is such a clear demarcation between the young Paan singh and the middle aged Paan singh. The local dialect..oh boy, these actors must have gone through so much of training to speak the dialect so well and so naturally..Irrfan is an institution..even Acting should learn acting from him..This guy is the best actor India has today after Naseeruddin Shah..I am not talking about commercial cinema here people - talking about Real cinema. Irrfan fits to his character like a glove and he sticks to it throughout. I feel that when he is shooting, he just lives and breathes the same character on screen as well as off screen..He goes far beyond the expectations..Mahie Gill- what an amazing actress, you cannot believe she is the same girl who was in DevD or "Not a Love Story" or "Saheb Biwi aur Gangster". She has portrayed very nicely and deserves top honors for her work. Don't listen to me now and watch this movie to make your own opinion. Truly brilliant.

must watch movie, best-est sport movie

Author: saurabh-acharya7 from India
22 March 2012

great movie, should get best movie and best actor award,Orran great actor. direction also great great. also received an Oscar Nomi, please make some more kind of this movie. i just loved the movie, have already watched it 6 times. fantastic work, music also good great movie, should get best movie and best actor award,Orran great actor. direction also great great. also received an Oscar Nomi, please make some more kind of this movie. i just loved the movie, have already watched it 6 times. fantastic work, music also good great movie, should get best movie and best actor award,Orran great actor. direction also great great. also received an Oscar Nomi, please make some more kind of this movie. i just loved the movie, have already watched it 6 times. fantastic work, music also good great movie, should get best movie and best actor award,Orran great actor. direction also great great. also received an Oscar Nomi, please make some more kind of this movie. i just loved the movie, have already watched it 6 times. fantastic work, music also good

Cinematic Brilliance!

Author: Rajat from Delhi, India
20 March 2012

Paan Singh Tomar is a feather in the cap for critically acclaimed director and writer Tigmanshu Dhulia. It is one of the best biopics i have ever seen and the character of Paan Singh has been made immortal by the superb performance from Irrfan Khan. The entire script, screenplay is good, while dialogues are made awesome by the superb delivery from all the actors. For the uninitiated: the movie's dialogues are not in Hindi but in a very rustic UP language, which is the true USP of this masterpiece.

Irrfan Khan has risen as an actor and how! I first saw him in Dhulia's debut - Haasil in 2003 and since then Irrfan has only bettered himself with each of his roles. Obviously some credit needs to go to Dhulia for extracting the best from him. Irrfan really gets into this character of Paan Singh and delivers stupendously. Some sequences are an absolute delight to watch, like when the reporter meets Paan Singh for the first time, and almost all the scenes between Paan Singh and his wife. Mahie Gill also delivers beautifully as the shy village girl.

Not much has been written about Paan Singh and what he did for the country. The movie is an eye opener of some sort about unsung heroes of Indian sports. The disappointing part is, such heroes come to light through cinema only when they die or are converted to goons like in the case of Paan Singh Tomar! Nonetheless, an excellent piece of cinema. We want more such movies.

An Irrfantastic watch!!!

Author: aditsecret from India
19 March 2012

Paan Singh Tomar on being termed a dacoit by a nervous journalist 'Beehad main baghi hote hain, dacoit milte hain parliament men". The moment I heard the above dialog in the trailers, I knew Paan Singh Tomar will definitely strike a chord with the audience, given the clouds of corruption shrouding the Indian landscape. In fact, PST is more than your usual story of a common man standing up against the system. The flick on the whole showcases the travails and twists and turns in the life of the notorious outlaw, Paan Singh Tomar who from ruling the roost in the Indian athletic scene goes onto become a feared Chambal Valley dacoit .The famed Dhulia Irrfan duo, from its "Haasil" days is known to deliver some cinematic masterpieces and boy do they take it another level with Paan Singh Tomar.

Irrfan has been Bollywood's torch bearer of sorts in Hollywood in recent times and with his turn as the famed but now forgotten dacoit, Paan Singh Tomar, he has just proved why he is one step ahead of his contemporaries. In PST he effortlessly adorns the gear of a frail athlete who to begin with, gets on the race track just for that extra dose of food. The first half shows PST's rise to an all-conquering athlete who can do no wrong as he represents India in the Asian games in Tokyo as the Steeple chase national champion. We see an inspiring sequence of events as Tomar rises to the pinnacle of success from his humble beginnings in the dusty terrains of Morena. Coupled with rib tickling dialogs and the well-orchestrated track and field scenes, the first half of Paan Singh Tomar makes you sit up and take notice of a talent that once scorched the Indian athletic scene. Smartly edited and mixed with the right amount of emotions and humor, the first half whizzes away just like a whiff of pleasant air.

Then in a dramatic turn of events Tomar has to leave the glory of the track behind and return to his native place as his pestering cousins get him involved in a feud over a small piece of land. Shunned and ridiculed by the local police and at the nadir of his life, Tomar decides to take law in his own hands as his cousins launch a vehement attack on his family owing to the feud mentioned earlier. Dhulia effectively puts forth and underlines the failure of the state to not only maintain law and order but also the plight of sports persons who are treated like specks of dirt in this country . PST's tumultuous transition from a proud army man who once considered a brick of ice cream as his greatest honor into a revenge seeking and conniving outlaw is complete as he utters" No one gave a damn about me when I won medals for the country. Today when I'm a rebel everyone wants to know about Paan Singh Tomar" with a sense of irony and sums up the apathy of a person who has been failed by the very system that he trusted and cherished .In subsequent scenes, true to the celebrated and legendary style of robin hood he becomes the bête noire of the rich whilst being celebrated by the poor, by not only escaping the clutches of law every now and then but also by making mockery of the police and ridiculing them into meek surrender. Not only does he gain revenge on his cousins but he also achieves a cult status of a dacoit at the top his trade, meticulously deploying his military training and techniques (an example being the famed "scout formation") and in the process instilling discipline in his pack as the world falls to his feet.

What prevents the film from reaching insurmountable dizzying heights , is that the flick tends to drag a bit towards the end and is a bit too lengthy as it reaches its climax. There are moments in the second "revenge" half where one yearns for the slickness and the pace of the first half.

Otherwise, Irrfan delivers a rock solid and one of the best performances by an actor is recent times. His honest and heartfelt performance as Paan Singh, both the athlete and the renegade, combined with his command over the local dialect and his rustic demeanor is really commendable as he portrays a challenging role with aplomb and is well truly the high point and USP of the film. Mahie Gill, Dhulia's muse these days, has a small role but she excels in it, true to her burgeoning reputation .The rest of the cast blend perfectly into the demands and vision of the director to firmly put a stamp on the veracity and class of this masterpiece of a movie. Paan Singh Tomar to sum up isn't one of your run of the mill biographies flooding the "biography" genre these days, but a fitting tribute to a common man who stood firm against all odds to uphold the pride of his country and ultimately his family.

Big bang to Bollywood

Author: almassteelpune from PUNE
18 March 2012

I watch Indian movies very selectively,after reading its review, I found it an extraordinary movie,no doubt it is one of the gems from Indian Cinema, no songs no dance ,an extraordinary story with superb acting by Irfan Khan, he is a true khan.

The simplicity shown by director in this movie is worth to be watched,Who says that the big budgeted with so called super stars movies can be hit, but I think Irfan is a real super star.I must say here that the reviews written by Taran Adarsh must be avoided now that he gave only 3 stars to this movie.I recommend it for everyone who wants to have great time in watching movie,I bet, this movie will not disappoint you,I think it would be nominated for Oscars 2013.I am giving it 10/10.

This is called a movie with "real actor" unlike so called stars without shine

Author: gaurav rai from India
17 March 2012

Guys, yesterday saw this movie and as expected this was a treat to watch. whenever I go for a IRFFAN movie i always know that this would definitely entertain me to fullest and every time i see this actor doing his work i feel pity on SALMAN,SHAHRUKH and other stars with no acting just stardom status.

Few days back i saw IRFAAN'S interview saying he never gets a movie to act of his choice and how he ends up doing senseless movies to survive in mumbai but let me tell you IRFAAN then also you score miles ahead of this other stars.

Guys please watch his movies like HAASIL,YEH saali jindagi and paan singh ,Maqbul and then watch the so called star's movie you will know what acting is.

Inspirational, Message oriented Movie! Bollywood at its best

Author: akash chauhan from India
17 March 2012

I am always a big fan of Irfaan khan after watching haasil movie....but now i love him madly ..what an actor.

The film is story about one of the unsung heroes of Indian sport history Paan singh tomar who was a brilliant steeplechase athlete of his time.The way his life change and the reasons which prompted him to be a most wanted dacoit are displayed in a beautiful manner .....awesome story,awesome direction,awesome screenplay and splendid performances ...

I am from chambal region and i heard a lot of stories of dacoits but this story is somewhat special as it touches the deepest corner of my heart , brings some tears and also reminds me of my great grandfather..a great hockey player of 50s and 60s .So guys don't wait ....go and watch this ultimate movie.

I am sure everyone love this movie and Indian government will also do something for such unsung heroes :)

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]