IMDb > Konferenz der Tiere (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Pollution in itself

Author: timothycrippins from London, England
3 January 2011

A film so bad it has forced me to spend time creating an IMDb account to warn others about it.

Animals United should not require a lengthy review or synopsis to achieve this aim. Despite being a feature clearly made for under 12s, the film has a brutal environmental and political agenda of breathtaking ambition. This is presented with so little nuance or charm that, despite all the perfectly good arguments for ecological action, you somehow despise the animals who star.

The plot is paper thin, chaotic and occasionally plain nonsense. For instance, the plot insists environmental conferences achieve nothing but a conference of animals which tails off into a juvenile eulogy for a fantasy world somehow inspires the action required. Not even my three year old niece fell for that level of reasoning.

Worst of all, I watched the entire film and, despite sharing the immediate area of the cinema with around twelve children of various ages, can honestly say they did not even smile once, let alone laugh. It is devoid of any entertainment value. I think you get the point.

I wonder how the makers of this film can live with the amount of energy being wasted to give it distribution...

Terrible

Author: Joe Alderton from United Kingdom
29 December 2010

This was truly the worst film I have ever paid money to watch. It was so terrible that my 9 year old sister and I left halfway through(she asked to leave!) This is a German-produced film with British voices edited in, and therefore the animation was off for the speaking. We went because of the amount of well-known stars in it, and yet all of them sounded dreadfully bored, with only James Corden trying, but trying way too hard. There was no plot at all and too many story lines to follow, each one receiving about 5 minutes before moving somewhere else and then suddenly all the characters are together with a minutes explanation of how. It was just so boring, so unless it is amazing for the last 20 minutes steer well clear of this film! There is a small scene showing fire, although you could clearly see the animation straight lines supporting the fire, it seemed more like a first draft. My only thought was that this must be politically based as there wasn't a single joke worthy of a laugh while we were there, but it was definitely not worth the £10 I paid to watch it, extremely disappointed as I was really excited before it.

Worst film I've ever seen

Author: wsionynw from United Kingdom
30 December 2010

Lazy, badly written, tripe. The plot is so insultingly stupid I wouldn't let children watch it in case it harmed their development. I took my 3 year old son to watch this and even he was bored after 15 minutes (nothing happens in this time)and we ended up leaving 60 minutes into the film, along with several other people that hadn't yet fallen asleep.

There is NO humour in this, completely witless drivel from the start and it amazes me this was ever made. Pointless musical moments, one dimensional 'characters', not even some basic slapstick to keep kids interested. A total waste of time that doesn't deserve to be watched by anyone. The British voice cast should be ashamed of themselves.

The hearts of children will love it

Author: pontram from Austria
24 October 2010

First of all, children up to 11 years, especially girls, will love this movie.

It is very child-oriented, which means it is a bit infantile, especially in delivering its message. The message is, and here comes Al Gore in, who will love this movie also, that we humans are bad bad bad when it goes to matters of nature, animals, earth.

Parents will probably get bored sometimes, because the message is delivered with some long lasting sermons, which we hear all over the time, but in this case from the oldest and wisest animals on earth. And children learn that what their parents do for their living, is mostly bad and causes nature to suffer. But to be honest, that's true. Nature is raped by man, and we don't care. After there seems no other way in Germany to raise the funds for a Pixar-like animated movie, we have to live with it. Not too bad for us to be confronted with a bitter truth once more, although it's not brought to us very subtle.

Animation is good and doesn't stay behind current productions. 3d effects are also impressive and obviously not post-production.

The characters are nice and funny and believable, mostly cliché of course, the plot is executed adventurous enough to keep everybody in line, even if we know, how the movie will end.

What the movie lacks is independence, its a mixture of everything from Madagascar through Ice Age and Horton, a perfect example of target group oriented product placement. 'No experiments' was the prime directive during production, it's obviously. Personally, I thought they took that too serious.

But nevertheless we go into a theater to watch a movie that makes our kids happy. If this is what our children makes happy, so what shells ? I don't open my wallet (so wide) to have a censorious conversation afterward, but to ask 'How did you like it ?' and get the answer 'I loved it so much'. And I got it.

Worst Film Ever

Author: alan-983-280885 from Ireland
22 February 2011

The phrase "there's an hour and a half that I ain't getting back" springs to mind. I saw this movie with an easily pleased four year old, a hard to please nine year old and a somewhat in middle five year old. All of us in agreement that this was the worst film we had ever seen. Not funny, is the German sense of humour a little different, terrible plot, so preachy and obvious as to be positively obnoxious. Ahh getting annoyed even writing this. Save your money. Not even remotely on par with the normal Pixar/Disney efforts. Cannot believe it is still running in my local cinema, someone somewhere with "a message" must be paying for that, it cannot be commercial!

Grrrr...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 May 2011

This is the first time in about three or so months that I found myself this disappointed and angry with an animated film. I'm 19, and I adore animation and have done since I was about 2. But Animals United is a serious contender for the worst animated film I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of animated films, good and bad.

As bad as Titanic:The Animated Movie, Spiders Web:A Pig's Tale, Doogal and Secret of NIMH 2 are, and that word is being kind to them(the first one especially is an insult to the intelligence), Animals United for me surpasses them on levels of how painful and dull it is.

I have so many beefs with Animals United, but I have to say what angered me most was the voice cast. On paper, this is an amazing voice cast. James Corden? Jim Broadbent? Stephen Fry? However, this film wastes their talents completely, at the end of the day Corden is the only one who tries. Everybody else are either annoying(Dawn French, not helped that her character is annoying too) or are dreadfully uninterested(Broadbent in a very rare occurrence).

But a number of things do not help when it comes to the waste of these talented actors. The worst offender was the script, which was really deplorable. The writing in Animals United aims to be funny and poignant. Maybe its main target audience(essentially a family movie but in all honesty watching this I can only see under 12s getting any, if any, value from this film) will find it so, but I for one found it unfunny(the humour was just embarrassing!), saccharine and heavy-handed.

And there is also the lip-synching. I have seen some sloppy lip-synching in my time not just in animated films but in opera films/productions and films in general(though unlike here this in any of those only happened once or twice), but to say the lip-synching is sloppy here is being kind. It was all over the place, I don't remember a single time when it was in sync with the voices or lip-movements. Then again I may have been distracted by how bad the writing and characterisation was.

Animals United is devoid of a single likable or sympathetic character. I couldn't connect to a single character throughout here, and I imagine it was the same with the vocal cast as well. All the characters in Animals United are either annoying or underdeveloped, and that is including the titular character.

The lack of a good story doesn't help either. This is a story that is thin-too thin and uninteresting for an over-90-minute film- and predictable complete with themes that are presented in a superficial, chaotic and preachy manner. Pace-wise as well, excepting scenes such as the ending-and various transitions between plot points that are given less than 5 minutes to develop-that felt rushed, the film is a drag. And there are parts, particularly in the latter section, that feel as though they belong in another movie when it comes to talking about tone, also don't get me started on some of the truly dumb parts of Animals United. For example seeing a polar bear in the Savannah made me lose more than a couple of brain cells. Just for the record, I understand the message the film was trying to convey but the way it was put across was not done at all well.

I was hoping that some good animation might elevate things to a slightly better level. Sadly, even the animation wasn't done well...at all. The colours seem rather flat, the backgrounds are blocky, but the real abomination animation-wise was the character designs. I have seen some animated films and shows where "ugly" character designs are deliberate, but I doubt that was really the case here. Regardless of that, in my opinions they were just hideous, often over-sized and jerky and the mouth movements and lip-synching did little to help either.

I would also say the same for the soundtrack. As an aspiring singer and keen musician, I always look for a good soundtrack. Animals United is not an example of a good soundtrack, in fact it is the exact opposite of a good soundtrack. Not only are some of the musical numbers pointless, but almost every single one of them are misplaced. I didn't think much either of the melodies, which were forgettable, or the lyrics, which often took me out of the mood of the scene.

Overall, a dreadful animated film and one to be avoided. 0/10 Bethany Cox

Man is Evil

Author: Timothy B from United States
7 November 2011

This is the most blatant piece of global warming, man is the ultimate evil, propaganda I have ever seen. I kid you not, there is a Turtle that prattles on for five minutes about how evil man is, the bane of the earth, must be destroyed... If you are looking for entertainment, keep looking. If you are looking to indoctrinate your children, this is the perfect cartoon for you. The storyline and plot has one goal, and entertainment is not it. I am sure this will be required viewing in government schools around the world. The A-List actors, although very talented, all signed on to this piece of tripe, to further a political agenda and it shows. The acting is uninspired drivel, the animation poorly synced with the overdub. Most of the plot and lines are stolen from so many other films it would be difficult to name them all. The most glaring, however in Madagascar.

Pretty bad

Author: stewartg-32-609934 from Australia
20 June 2014

Apart from everything everyone else has said, its pretty stupid that the Tasmanian Devil is more recognizable as the old Warner Brothers "Tas" than an actual Tasmanian Devil ( that don't really live close to Ayers Rock either ).

The real ones actually look pretty cute ( but they sound like devils ).

My 15 year old daughter left the room, even though she still likes other kids movies such as Frozen. My 9 year old is tending to criticize it all the way through.

Don't be fooled by the names in the cast, its really disappointing that such talent would put their name to a movie such as this. Avoid Do not pay money for the DVD. Its really lame

If Disney Pixar stopped trying, it would probably look like this

Author: ivasquez-3 from Canada
9 May 2014

When there is a clear leader in the field, all reviews and comparisons tend to compare to that standard. In this case, I will compare this to Disney Pixar movies. The animation in this film, at first glance is pretty good. Almost Pixar quality. However, most characters lack the intangible quality that draws the audience to them. Most of the characters lacked real character the way pixar films do, and particularly the human characters had robotic features. The worst part are the extremely cliché references to human destruction and greed - although I agree with the message, the sappy moral rhetoric had me rolling my eyes most of the time. It gets over-done and really old halfway through the movie, but then they amazingly pour it on in even more annoying quantities towards the end. *** SPOILER ALERT *** Then in the end, it all falls apart in an illogical incoherent mess. Especially when the music comes in and the animals start dancing. To, of all things - the Beach Boys song where they sing "fun fun fun, til daddy takes the T-bird away" which has NO context to the film whatsoever. Then the animals are flooded in a massive damn break, but they all miraculously float away. Then they end up in New York city by riding inside several whale's mouths, to attend a global conference on environmental matters, which is great. But you know they are going to die, because A - animals can't talk, and therefore cannot dispute their views at the conference, and would likely be shot. And B - even if they survive getting shot, they are in New York city, where there are no natural resources or food for their survival.

The saving grace is that my daughter is 8, and didn't know any better, and still managed to like this movie.

Which brings to mind another comparison to Disney-Pixar. In DP movies, adults enjoy them as much as children do. This movie was excruciating for anyone over the age of 10.

Overall, if Disney-pixar fired its writers and hired low wage teenage summer students to write plots, and the animators hated their jobs and stopped caring how the movie turned out, their films would probably look a lot like Animals United.

Compassionate guidance for human beings

Author: Alexandra Feriance from Sweden
5 May 2015

In the comments I see great examples of people trying to defense their unhealthy behavior against a movie that goes behind the curtains of what is happening between humans and the rest of this planet.

It is time the children (and especially the adults) get a look behind the curtain, and starts to equate themselves with this planet and the animals that we share the planet with - to accept that we in fact, ARE destroying this planet more than any other living being. And realize that without us on earth, the planet would benefit.

That is why, we need to change. If compassion is not coming from the inside, then what is wrong with a movie showing you the meaning of it?

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]