IMDb > Day & Night (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Day & Night More at IMDbPro »

a fun, weird, amazing combination of light and dark, 2D and 3D animation

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
18 June 2010

Two side of the coin, day and night, appear as characters and look on at one another in awe and jealousy. That sounds like the simple of this latest Pixar short, appearing before Toy Story 3, but it's got a lot more sophistication, humor, and nuttiness going on than most other Pixar shorts. It also does something I've never seen from the production company: they have 2D, traditional hand-drawn animation! Sort of. Well, what happens is we see a landscape of day, and night, and they're in the traditional Pixar computer-animation. But then two figures, who are kind of blobs with eyes and noses and mouths, appear as the day and night fill up their bodies? This is less confusing than it sounds: like other Pixar shorts it takes an idea and runs with it, feeling complete as a story. But this time, as a difference, there's some smarter, edgier humor even than usual (and I've seen plenty from these shorts). Best is when the 'Night' figure looks on at 'Day' as a bunch of girls in bikinis (and one just sunning herself) are by a pool, but then when he/it looks on him/itself, the pool is closed. Also great is how a radio station and broadcast is used, sounding like it's out of the Twilight Zone. It's an ingenious little movie.

Lots of Fun on a Flat Screen Too

Author: boblipton from New York City
21 June 2010

While other animation studios these days concentrate on features, Pixar likes to remember that it is a cartoon factory and continues to precede each theatrical feature with a short subject. DAY AND NIGHT, the latest, was released along with Pixar's TOY STORY THREE.

While Pixar's features -- and those of its competitors' -- become ever more sophisticated in their uses of computer animation to facilitate their stories, their short subjects have been becoming more cartoony. Their last short, PRESTO, recalled Tex Avery. This one suggests the sort of loose animation style favored by UPA, as one cloudy mass containing daylight scenes bumps into another cloudy mass containing night time scenes. The clouds' outlines are vague, populated by the highly detailed visions one expects of Pixar; but while the interiors show their natures, it is the vague outlines that carry the story -- and their characters.

Fpr a student of animation, it is a typical Pixar delight. Thanks for keeping the short movie cartoon alive, guys.

Day & Night was a fine and unique Pixar short

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
21 June 2010

This Pixar short that preceded Toy Story 3 seemed different than other shorts that came before other Disney/Pixar features. For one thing, there was no clear story that you got from others. Also, the whole thing wasn't completely computer animated as the two characters of the title seemed actually hand drawn with the computer stuff inside them. And then there is some message that is said by a Dr. Wayne Dyer that seemed to drive home the lesson that one should get along despite differences or a fear of the unknown. Not a bad message though-having read some comments-not everyone is going to get it or want to. Still, Day & Night is a worthy addition to the Pixar group of opuses that provide some humor with whatever points they're trying to make. Mega kudos to the director Teddy Newton.

Not as fun as other shorts but technically brilliant - 80%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
2 August 2010

No matter how many Pixar films I catch at the cinema, I always forget about the bonus short film that precedes the main event. In the case of "Toy Story 3", we are treated to this which is arguably one of the more surreal and unusual short films Pixar have produced. However, it is possibly one of the most ambitious and technically impressive shorts I've seen as it mixes traditional animation with Pixar's usual CG antics.

Day and Night are two very different characters, offering different perspectives on the same scene. While initially treating each other with suspicion and out-right aggression, a radio message overheard by the squabbling duo soon offers the pair the chance to realise that being different can have its advantages as well.

While being technically very good and well thought out, "Day & Night" offers less of the entertainment seen in the likes of "Presto" or "One Man Band". But as soon as the penny drops, it becomes a thought-provoking modern fable about the dangers of racism and the beauty of tolerance and acceptance. Personally, if I want to be preached to then I'll go to church rather than the cinema but that doesn't stop "Day & Night" from being another Pixar gem and when you get it for free, you can't really complain, can you?

Top-notch animation and story, but where's the heart?

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
3 October 2013

This may also be the question that the Academy asked themselves when they picked Australian entry "The Lost Thing" over Pixar's "Day & Night" for the Academy Award for Best Animated Short that year. On the technical level, it really doesn't get much better than "Day & Night". The animation is brilliant, it's fast, it's witty and it oozes creativity. But I just felt it wasn't emotional at all and even the scenes where Day and Night were sad or happy about what they (not) experienced weren't really emotionally investing like previous Pixar short films, such as the very early "Red's Dream". It just lacks almost completely the charm that Toy Story 3, the film with which it was shown together in theaters, was so full of.

Nonetheless, it's a pretty interesting take on life (or lack thereof) during day and night and the two protagonists, after initial disdain, quickly get curious about what happens during the other's time of the day. This includes casinos, butterflies, attractive women, fireflies, fireworks and many more. Finally they manage to find a way to see each other's marvels and the fusion sequence is quite a thing of beauty. A must-watch for animation lovers and an entertaining six minutes for everybody else too.

The clever and enjoyable construct helps take the "corn" off the message

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
22 August 2010

Day and night sees two characters in a black world who, within their outline, represent scenes from night time and daytime. Day first sees night while he is asleep and is drawn to the differences in his outline. When night wakes up it becomes a conflict with a competition to show off who is the best of the two by virtue of what they have going on within their outlines.

Day & Night is not quite the usual Pixar animated short simply because the animation is a bit less impressive than previous shorts (where the animation has been on a par with the feature film). This is not to say it is somehow cheap but just that it is not the beautifully detailed world that is about to come with Toy Story 3. This aside though the animation is very clever indeed as the characters move across their black world providing a view into night and day on the other side. It moves so seamlessly and easily that it is easy to follow and I was surprised by how inventive it was while also remaining quite simple an idea.

The message is that we should embrace our differences rather than fear them or compete over them. This message has the potential to be a bit corny (and indeed it is a bit bluntly delivered via the radio speech) but the clever manner of the short means it does actually work pretty well and it doesn't feel that way. I know that some viewers will probably sigh at being told this sort of thing in this way, but for most viewers it should be well received and of course, for children, it will perhaps not be seen as so obvious as adults will see it.

A clever and well animated little short then. Not quite the stuff one expects from Pixar in terms of looks but very enjoyable and well done.

Day & Night

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
11 September 2010

This short computer animated film was shown after the main Disney/Pixar film Toy Story 3, and I was actually really surprised with how much I liked it for being so different. Basically an animated blob style character wakes up being the day, the sun beaming in his stomach and having a quick waterfall trip / pee (possibly my favourite moment). Soon enough while walking through countryside, Day meets another blob style character living in the night, and they are both at first frightened and suspicious of each other. Their fascination for each other quickly turns into a squabble as they fight to have the best daytime or nighttime sight on their bellies. Soon enough they settle their differences and enjoy the sights they each have to show on their bellies, e.g. the daytime sights of Las Vegas, then the nighttime neon light of Las Vegas. Before the film ends, the new good friends hug each other, but then the sun sets and rises on the opposite side, so they have swapped places, Day has become Night, and vice versa. What is clever is that this combines both regular drawn animation with the blob style characters with computer animation for all the realistic looking sights of day and night. The action, comedy and small emotion comes from what is inside the characters' bellies, and it all adds up to a real feel good short animated film. It was nominated the Oscar for Best Short Animated Film. Very good!

Great animation, great characters, but.......really? Really?

Author: dottyjyoung from United States
11 August 2010

I've been a huge fan of Teddy Newton since I saw his amazing collages on the "Incredibles" special features. I'm a mixed-media/collage artist myself, and I wanted to hang his art on my wall with spotlights and background music. :) He's incredibly talented, and I'm thrilled that he got to direct a short.

The concept and the characters were absolutely precious. However, do we HAVE to have another movie/cartoon/kids show about the virtues of tolerance and understanding? I can't keep PBS Kids on the TV without my kids being spoon-fed "tolerance" in 100 different ways. It's apparently one of the highest virtues possible, other than caring for the environment. /sarc.

Plus, a lesson on the evils of preconceived notions just feels like cheesy story-telling. I remember on the commentary for "One Man Band," the directors said (in essence), "We thought about having the two work together at the end, but we found out that working together just isn't very *funny.*" If story is built on conflict, and yet your story tries to teach us that conflict could be avoided with just a little more understanding, it stops being a story! It starts being a sermon. (Side note: The reason why I hate Christian movies is because they're 99% sermons, and sacrifice story on the altar of persuasion. I really hope Pixar doesn't take that route in the secular world.) I hope Teddy Newton directs again soon. I love his work. I just don't like being preached at.

Showing the virtues of cooperation when you have different "skill sets", so to speak.

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
16 February 2014

This short was nominated for an Academy Award for Animated Short. There will be spoilers ahead:

This is a very simple but effective short, based on the premise that two different entities showcase whatever point they occupy during the day or at night and whatever is happening on the spot at a particular point in time is visible within their frame.

One of the more interesting and entertaining aspects of this short for me is that what the viewer sees within the characters frequently corresponds with what that character or those characters are doing. It's done quite effectively.

The two, "Day" and "Night" begin by being surprised, disturbed, distrustful and angry at the differences, escalating towards conflict between them until they accidentally find a way to mutually benefit through cooperation, thus opening up whole new vistas and opportunities only available to them if they work together.

In case the visuals you see don't make that point, there's some radio chatter toward the end of the short which makes the point directly and explicitly. It's a lecture, but it's an entertaining lecture.

This short is available on DVD as an extra on Toy Story 3 and on the Pixar Shorts Collection 2 and is well worth watching. Most recommended.

a pleasant film

Author: ysk865540 from Japan
12 February 2014

I think that it is a pleasant film.

In this film, there are two characters. One is "the day". The other is "the night". It is an interesting idea.

The character's motion is very funny.

I liked the cute characters.

The speed of the story is fast. I liked this point, too.

I was absorbed in the development of the film. I could watch this film being excited very much.

At the last scene, two characters become friends.

I could have a happy feeling after watching the last scene.