Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster

Worst. Scooby Doo. Ever

Author: hallms from CT, USA
31 October 2010

Since when did Scooby become about the gang dating each other? Ewww. Half way through, my kids asked, if it's called Scooby Doo and the Curse of the Lake Monster, how come there is hardly any Scooby in it? Seriously, half the movie was about relationships, the mystery was secondary. Not really a SPOILER, but don't read ahead if you don't want to know useless absurd plot points: Fred secretly dating Daphne but hanging out with other girls, Daphne trying to make him jealous with boys, Shaggy secretly in love with Velma, Scooby jealous of the date between Shaggy and Velma. It's just wrong. And musical numbers? They were cute, but since when does Scooby Doo have musical numbers? On the plus side, it had Marion Ross (I hope she was paid a bunch), a guy in a rubber suit, and live action versions of classic gags, like running in and out of doors in a long hallway. The actors playing Shaggy and Velma were good, but please get a blond Fred (and not a dark haired guy in a wig), it's just wrong.

Different for Scooby

Author: Jared Prophet from Portland Oregon
17 October 2010

This Scooby Doo movie was a bit light on the Actual Scooby Doo. Whether it was just too hard to act with an imaginary dog, or too expensive to animate him into every scene, the gang spends a lot of time with out Scooby. Which makes the Mystery fairly easy to guess who the monster is.

On the up side, there are some great Rubber Suit Frog Monsters! And there is a wonderful "By the Light of the Moon" sequence too. Generally I hate songs in cartoons, but this one was awesome.

There was a lot of great touches that made this feel like a Japanese TV show of the likes of Ultraman or Masked Rider. The cartoon feel was prevalent, though many gags failed.

The cast was pretty good. Coming off the first one, "The Mystery Begins" I feel they gelled better this time out. Shaggy does steel the show.

I think more money and better production values would have helped, and maybe a better helmer, but I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.

Not bad...for a B movie

Author: Greg from Michigan, USA
25 October 2010

I'm a fan of the original animated Scooby Doo TV series (1969-1970). It was against these episodes I judged the theatrical releases Scooby-Doo (2002) and Scooby Doo 2: Monster's Unleased (2004). When I saw Curse of the Lake Monster was a feature length movie, without thinking about it I had my expectations set for something comparable to the two theater releases. Oops! Curse of the Lake Monster was a B-movie in many ways, including overt over-the-top acting. I'm not a fan of B-movies and must confess to having some trouble sitting through it all. I would say the movie is a bit worse than Scooby Doo 2. The pace was good and the plot moved along reasonably well. I had no problem at all with the special effects--they were fine.

I consider the brown-haired Fred a production decision blunder. While it stopped bothering me half way through the movie, I never started thinking of Fred as Fred. He was more like a new character to me. Shaggy is very difficult to translate from animation to live action, and I think greater energy put into the character would have been an improvement. The girls will be played better as the actresses gain in confidence and experience.

If you liked Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleased, then Curse of the Lake Monster is probably worth watching.

Meh

Author: Robert from United States
24 May 2011

Question to the filmmakers first. Did you guys intend on taking a classic that the world has grown up with, and making a plot that involves a ghost instead of a person in a mask, having scooby be violent, pushing the idea of girlfriends WAY too much, and worse of all, having shaggy IN LOVE with Velma? Seriously? And what was with the whole dance stuff at the end? Funny, but what was the point? At any rate, here's another attempt to make a live action film with special effects and base it on classics. Only to change around things and make it completely wrong. Shaggy and Velma? Seriously? The joke with Fred and Daff is just that, a joke people have created. DON'T take a joke and make it become part of the plot. And having scooby become RUDE and mean and cruel is WRONG.

But there is some stars I've giving this movie. In this case, at least they tried. There was no swearing to my knowledge. The gang DID solve a mystery. But in the end, this IS cartoon network in 2010, so I'm not surprised it isn't as good as it could have been.

Good fun for Scooby and the gang

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
11 May 2014

After the success of 'The Mystery Begins' it was no surprise to see the cast of that film return for more antics in these prequels to the live action Scooby films of the early 2000's.

I think this one is much more of a homage to classic Scooby Doo, from the actors starting to wear much more 'traditional' costumes for their characters, to the inclusion of classic gags and monsters.

The Shaggy/Velma love plot won't please everyone but it is well played by the actors who seem much more into their characters this time around.

The only sticking point for me is the inclusion of the musical numbers that seem out of place with the rest of the film but that's only a small down side to what is actually a good fun film.

Young kids will love it; but not for the fans....

Author: Martin Hitchings from United Kingdom
31 March 2011

I grew up with the Scooby Doo cartoon and loved it as a kid and when they brought out the first Scooby live action movie; I was dubious. Thing was, I loved it! I also quite enjoyed the second movie although not as much as the first.

When it came to the original cast, I had issues with Freddie Prinze Jr as Fred as I felt he wasn't butch enough and Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne, because she was both a little too short and I had not yet got over my Buffy crush; but Matthew Lillard as Shaggy was, quite simply, awesome.

This, unfortunately is where this movie falls down. Though I don't doubt the effort of Nick Palatas as Shaggy and indeed his acting chops (he is a young actor starting out) but following Matthew Lillard's Shaggy was always going to be a tall order. What also doesn't help is having a dark haired Fred in the form of Robbie Amell, I struggled to recognise him as Fred.

However, the Daphne (Kate Melton) character I though was excellent and if I could transplant her for Gellar in the first; I would without a second thought.

Bottom line, not a great movie but I guarantee your young children will enjoy it. For the rest of us, its a sad reflection.

Scooby Doo never gets old

Author: bmetankdestroyer from United States
16 October 2010

I just watched this movie. For a Cartoon Original, it wasn't that bad. Actually, pretty well done. Scooby and the gang have to solve the mystery of a Lake Monster. It had some funny parts, mainly targeted for younger kids. I have always loved the original series from the 60's. I was pretty disappointed with the other Scooby Doo movies earlier in 2003. The other Cartoon Network one from 2009 was also good. The plot, although not original, still has refreshing parts. I really advise anyone who loved the series as a child. If you only liked the original series and would hat to watch this, then don't. I thought this was a good movie for a Saturday night.

As much as I wanted to like this film, it didn't work

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
18 September 2011

I have been a big fan of Scooby Doo for as long as I can remember. The original series, The Scooby Doo Show and The New Scooby Doo Movies I love, Mystery Incoporated was a pleasant surprise, Shaggy and Scooby Doo:Get a Clue was a disgrace(the only one I hate) and What's New Scooby Doo and 13 Ghosts are growing on me. I have also been pleasantly surprised by most of the animated movies, and the live action ones too. I wanted to like Curse of the Lake Monster but it didn't work for me really. There are some good points, Scooby is very cute, Shaggy is still the likable goof-ball I love and Daphne and especially Velma are spot. I didn't like Fred though(but I actually didn't mind him Mystery Begins), and this is not just because of the appearance, for my liking he wasn't macho or cool enough here. Some of the locations are nice and the soundtrack has this infectious energy. However, the editing is rather sloppy in some scenes, sometimes rather hectic in the more tense moments. Also the writing was weak with one too many gags that tried too hard and failed due to lacklustre timing and insipid dialogue and the story is rushed and predictable with the whole Shaggy and Velma idea absurd and never once believable. None of the support characters struck me as memorable either, and the rest of the acting as well as the direction seemed rather bland for my tastes. All in all, didn't work but not a complete disaster. 4/10 Bethany Cox

Cast Issues - Movie was OK

Author: aflrunner from Australia
8 April 2011

OK Firstly the people writing these reviews are either blind or haven't seen any of the other Live-action Scooby films, Scooby Doo 2:Monsters Unleashed was simply the BEST THUS FAR, WATCH IT BEFORE YOU COMMENT !!! Shaggy simply couldn't be replaced in this version, acting was great but character representation was OK, Velma on the other hand was a fresh and very appropriate face(Nerdy Look), Daph acted SUPERB but should have been sexier(Hot, Spot On Attractive, Sarah Michelle Gellar was ALMOST PERFECT, but short in stature...), FRED was well a JOKE ! LOL, Messed up his Character BIG TIME(Brown Hair != Blond Hair)..., mind you Robbie Amell acted VERY WELL !, but alas for the WRONG ROLE !

Scooby Dooby Doo, You Need To Improve.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
5 October 2012

Day 5 Of My 31 Days Of Horror 2.

After the very mediocre film Scooby Doo The Mystery Begins Cartoon Network decided to release another made for TV Flick titled Scooby Doo Curse Of The Lake Monster. Just another Mediocre film.

The film follows Fred played by Robbie Amell Daphne played by Kate Melton Velma played by Hayley Kiyoko Shaggy played by Nick Palantas and Scooby Doo voiced by Frank Welker As they go on vacation. However their vacation is cut short after a lake monster mysteriously appears.

This film is just like the last one. I love the chemistry between Shaggy and Scooby Doo. But like I said For the last one the performances done by Amell Melton and Kiyoko are not done very well and the story just did not grab and hold my attention through the film. Like the last film I just cannot recommend it.

Rated PG For Some Mild Scary Action.

1hr 19min/79min.