IMDb > "Running Wilde" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Running Wilde"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Running Wilde" More at IMDbPro »

LOVED the Absurd Humor - Give this one a chance

Author: ekimap from Canada
22 September 2010

Both me and my husband loved it! Laughed out loud and giggled all the way through! It is odd, silly and sharp. I sincerely hope this one makes it. I need a show that makes me laugh right now, and this one made me laugh a Lot! Loved Fa'ad and his absurd tiny horses. $50 pop. And the bleeped word was priceless. Clean but just on the edge. Something that is hard to find. And, Don't over analyze this show, just have fun watching the absurdity of it, the rest will come. There is so much room for character development here, with the "Nanny" and Driver too. I am looking forward to seeing more of them. The trailer made it look much more serious than it was, so don't let that fool you. It has so many backhanded jokes, you almost have to watch it twice to catch them all. Please watch and give this one a chance!

I can't hear very well under that treehouse

Author: phillmidwinter from Leeds, England
29 September 2010

I love Running Wilde, it's certainly not Arrested Development but I don't mean that in any slight. Both are brilliant but Running Wilde's humour has a slightly softer edge but leads to no less mirth.

For me, the hit character is Wilde's best friend Fa'ad, played by Peter Serafinowicz. He's also seen in the brilliant 'Look Around You' and brings his brand of no-nonsense nonsensical humour as a brilliant foil to Will Arnett's already well honed portrayal of a richly detached nice guy.

Arrested Development fans should be chuffed with the jokes in jokes in jokes that characterised much of its intelligently paced humour, as well as the return of David Cross - though I can only say I'd like to see more of him.

Puddle is no Maybe, but that role's portrayal also grew as time went on and I'm expecting the same here.

Wildly Funny!!!

Author: zaenkney from United States
6 October 2010

"Running Wilde" ran hysterically wild in our house last night! Who knew Keri Russell could carry off such quick, yet dim, witted ripostes to Will Arnett's naturally sardonic but quickly contrite remarks towards her. Again and again, she surprised me. And the little girl, Puddle (Stephania Owen), only ever seen before in "The Lovely Bones", is a scene-stealer. This child doesn't have to use words to communicate her opinions in order to garner our laughs. Mel Rodgriguez, as Wildes hired best friend/paid slave has been around for a while, but I have a feeling he will make his mark for his comedic chops in this series. His character has experienced the rich and crazy life of the Wilde family since he was very young which, in turn, has influenced his own very unique disposition. The writers, Arnett among them, have done a brilliant job with cast and script. I will look forward to this program each week and hopefully for seasons to come. 10/06/2010

Great show, Give it a chance PLEASE!!!!

Author: dlscott1111 from United States
13 October 2010

"Can't hear very well under that tree house".... and last night's scene where the butler is looking out at the guys "washing the car" and the butler says "Don't you do a bleeping thing". Hilarious!! I have watched every show and find myself chuckling the next day while I think about a funny line or 2. Give the offbeat humor a chance and don't take it too serious. Great show!!

The butler and the driver are great characters who I hope to see more of. And Fa'ad is priceless. His very presence and accent makes you laugh.

I had never been a huge Will Arnett fan until now. He and Keri Russell have a very unexpected bit of chemistry that really seems to work.

If you are interested in a show that's quirky, offbeat, and will make you laugh the next day, check this one out!

Flawed... but still glistens with hope.

Author: toaduser
20 October 2010

When Arrested Development was pulled off the air, fans sat in bated excitement, groping for anything Hurwitz-flavored they could find while anxiously awaiting the mythical Arrested Development movie. First was Juno, but Michael and George Michael never crossed paths. Cut forward to Sit Down, Shut Up, the first reunion of Hurwitz and Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Henry Winkler - personally I enjoyed it, but it was a ratings bomb and it was destroyed. Now we have Running Wilde.

So much of this show reeks of Arrested Development (cast aside) - a corporate family, rich, arrogant people, exploited servants, constant narration... it's reminiscent of the scene in Groundhog Day where Phil attempts to find just the right pose that won Rita over the first time, but can't quite make it work again. It's hilarious to watch, but keep in mind, we're Andie McDowell.

Which shortcoming to begin with? The most obvious one is the narration.

In Ron Howard, AD found a way to cut past the setup and guide the feeble-minded audience in the show's intricate plot and jokes. With RW, it has become a crutch to bypass characterization - we are told right out that Migo, while playing the part of the servant with attitude (a la Arthur's Hobson), actually cares deeply for his boss, then we cut to a scene that also depicts this sentiment. Neither are necessary. Can't the audience figure that out for themselves? Can't Migo show us that through his own actions and interactions? The narration also becomes somewhat unsettling as the show's narrator is also a major character in the show, discussing events she was not present for, and in cases, are deliberately happening behind her back and it doesn't feel right... In film, they say that voice-over should be used sparingly. It's a seasoning, it shouldn't be necessary to understand the plot. Here, it seems more like a desperate attempt to find something that captivated its audience in another iteration of itself.

Next we have the cast - here we reunite two of the biggest laughter magnets of Arrested Development, collectively known as GOBIAS. Unfortunately they were also the most one-dimensional bit characters of their former series and are not given much more here. Add in the required love interest and we have little more than a curved line. Maybe it was luck or better writing or a phenomenal cast, but the power and charisma just isn't played out here. It's just too artificial. The Felicity/GOB relationship is the root of the show, and we never feel it because it is either a.) simply a device for the episode's plot b.) glossed over by cheap jokes, or c.) TOLD TO US by the show's 12 year old narrator.

I should add that the actor playing Fa'ad, Peter Serafinowicz, is an AMAZING British comedian and impersonator and manages to pull off one of the greatest moments on the show (his tough New York accent).

Other standard AD techniques include the quick cut flashbacks and meanwhiles, over-the-top situations, double/triple entendres, and Andy Richter. Effective in their own ways and sometimes matching the quality we expect, but not at the rate we would wish.

While the show does have its shining moments, it is far from the smart, absurd, poignant, and expertly-woven tapestry that was Arrested Development. If you're expecting some grand reunion show that continues a lot of the same elements as before, watch Archer on FX (and pretend Jon Benjamin is Will Arnett). If you want to watch an uneven, saccharine sitcom that's still better than 80% of the rest of television, watch this.

Good Development

Author: tj0331 from United States
2 November 2010

I will admit that I had to re watch the first episode again to really get into it but I think the comedic timing is pretty dead on. The plot seems to fall secondary to the jokes which does not really work against enjoying the show. I think if you are not into it right away give it a second chance. Each episode seems to the top the one before. I was really shocked by the actor they chose for the neighbor, but he is really amazing! I never knew how versatile he could be as a comedic actor. I will be looking for whatever he does next. If you like Will Arnett in anything this show is for you. He is a great comedic presence and I hope that he is allowed to helm more projects.

Excellent! Hopefully as good as Arrested Development!

Author: vod_kao from Bulgaria
6 October 2010

It is the story of the life of an eccentric son of a rich man, and also the story for his hippie girlfriend. They didn't see each other for quite a while and in the mean time the girl has a daughter called puddle and they were living in the rain forest trying to save it and it inhabitants, until the day she moves back to her old town. She is engaged to a homeless hippie, and her daughter refuses to speak, because she wants to live a normal life. Then she meets with the young Mr. Wilde and she is disgusted by the fact that his father's company is destroying the jungle, she tried to save. But he tells her that his friend Fahad, who is also his competitor in everything, is a doctor, and that he can cure Puddle, so she could talk again. All of that of course was planned by the little girl. The storyline is funny, it is well written, well structured and has the funny outlook of arrested development. Gives me hope about TV!

my new favorite show of the 2010 season

Author: gophererica from MPLS
22 October 2010

This show has to stick around. I love how it rewards the viewer for paying attention by referencing small things from within the episode(s) as opposed to making huge, blatantly obvious references like other sitcoms. The entire cast is great in this show. The episode with Andy Richter has been my favorite so far. And David Cross is great too. Will Arnett plays this character to perfection. It's like Gob Bluth, reincarnate! Keri Russell is probably the only one I'd say needs to improve...she comes across as a little stiff still (like she's still getting used to a comedic role)--but it does fit her character. Hidden gem: Peter Serafinowicz. His Alan Alda impersonation was IMPECCABLE! I'd hate to see it get canceled because of poor ratings. Don't drop this show, FOX! Redeem yourself for canceling "Arrested Development" by saving "Running Wilde!"

It has promise! it needs to grow!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
2 October 2010

I love Will Arnett who is fabulous as the wealthy guy whose love of his life is played by Keri Russell. Arnett is fabulous as the wealthy but lonely billionaire who lives well-off on a fabulous estate. Emmy is the love of his life played by Keri Russell who lives in the jungle and tries to improve the world with her daughter, Puddle, what a name. Her daughter does a very good job as somebody who wants to escape the jungle and live in civilization. So Emmy reluctantly accepts an invitation where Arnett's character is throwing a party for himself as humanitarian of the year by his own company. Anyway, there are moments when Arnett has what it takes to be a big television star in his own right. Keri Russell is fine as Emmy and the supporting cast does a fine job which includes a neighboring Arab billionaire who has must time and money on his hands as Arnett's character and his assistant and chauffeur as well.

Very, very funny!

Author: huwbutts from Great Britain
5 December 2010

If you like 30 Rock, you'll like Running Wilde - simple! Will Arnett is superb in his niche role of wealthy fop, delivering some laugh-out-loud lines; Keri Russell is a Cutey McFeisty™ providing banter between the two main characters. Peter Serafinowicz is absolutely hilarious too, and every one of the cast is very funny in their own way. The only gripe is that the story lines follow very similar paths week-to-week, being Emmy and Steve trying to out-bluff each other - but hey, it works for House, right? This is the type of show that is perhaps too subtle for the masses to enjoy and thus gets cancelled - so in a time when clever comedies are few and far between, I would urge you to watch it! Highly recommended.