IMDb > "Raising Hope" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Raising Hope"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Raising Hope" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A gem of a comedy!

Author: cadetgray from United States
27 September 2010

The writers of Raising Hope must have lived in or visited South Carolina, because the characters are not too far off from the folks one would encounter at the local Wal-Mart in these parts. In terms of wit and timing, this show is dead on. The characters may seem pathetic upon first view, but by the end of the episode one is witness to the depth of their humanity. This is the first of the new shows that is on my static viewing schedule.

Cloris Leachman has a surprising role for such a legacy actor, but that is what makes the show brilliant. Her appearances are like the exclamation point in a sentence...though her appearance is brief, it is what elevates the scene from a smile to a laugh out loud. Looking forward to the next episode.

I Finally Found a Show I look Forward to Watching

Author: bridget-862-764287 (bridget@judethedude.com) from United States
4 October 2010

I have to admit, from the previews, I wasn't planning on watching this show. I was simply setting up my DVR to record another Fox show and figured, why not record this one too since I have been a fan of Martha Plimpton since the Goonies. I am so glad I did.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! The show is hilarious. I go from laughing out loud, thinking, "I can't believe they did that" to feeling warm and fuzzy. Garret Dillahunt is absolutely hilarious, Lucas Neff is adorable, and I love watching Martha Plimpton's character capture both a roughness and sweetness at the same time. She is brilliant. I find myself watching the episodes twice and laughing out loud each time. Looks like a great show and I hope it continues to stay as funny as the first two episodes have been.

Great

Author: Robert W. Anderson (bayareabob@mac.com) from United States
22 September 2010

First really smart, funny, well written, and performed comedy in years. As the story progressed it just stayed funny and they didn't have to rely on off color jokes or language. Martha Plimpton (Virginia) is Lucas Neff's (Jimmy) mother. She was apparently very young when he was born because both she and his father seem to be in there late 30's and Jimmy is 23. They live with Virginia's great grandmother maw maw (Cloris Leachman) who is demented, but has lucid moments. Jimmy, his father Burt (Garret Dillahunt), and his cousin have a lawn care business that they try to keep going in spite of lack of ability. Jimmy accidentally saves a young girl charged with murder from arrest, his family catches on, and she's arrested. But after she's convicted and sentenced to death; we find out she's pregnant. After his daughter is born, he brings her home in a prison onesy. His family tries to convince him he should leave the baby at the fire house, but he is determined to raise the little girl. Her mother gave her a rather unusual name (Princess Beyonce), as the pilot finishes her new name is decided on: Hope. This looks like a fresh, and funny new show. Highly recommended.

Totally Surprised

Author: janine0912 from United States
29 September 2010

I have to be completely honest...i didn't want to invest any more of my precious time watching another boring sitcom.. Was i surprised! The premise though a bit far fetched, ala the serial killer mother who is executed... and someone actually naming their child "Princess Beyonce" I was absolutely entertained. The writing is fun and imaginative, the characters are complex and real at the same time. I can bet we have all known one family in our neighborhood just like this. Dysfunctional and slightly psychotic and yet like a train wreck you cant look away. The actors are delightful and i find myself quoting lines the next day to my kids and husband. Oh god I'm dysfunctional and psychotic....oh well :-)

Raising Hope raises hope for television

Author: reneweddan from United States
25 October 2010

Many series have ceased to exist, most running their course and production ending, but Raising Hope brings new potential.

The shows currently alive on my list are Modern Family, House, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Raising Hope.

The story is about raising a child in a dysfunctional family with little money to spare. Although parallels can be made with My Name is Earl (namely the same creator), I find them to be completely different. This series seems to be fresh, more modern, without the accents as well.

The comedy is hilarious, the dialog is inventive, and the show is enjoyable. I suppose I'd call this the opposite of Modern Family, seeing as how everyone in Modern Family is extremely wealthy, this show depicts the lives of an impoverished family, but with the humor abundant.

This isn't a long series, 21 minutes an episode or 30 minutes on television, give the pilot a chance, you will enjoy it!

Literally cried I laughed so hard. Ridiculously extraordinary.

Author: philohooke from United States
6 October 2010

Literally cried I laughed so hard. Ridiculously extraordinary. My daughter came home from college and we watched this together at her suggestion. If I ever make the effort to actually sit in front of the TV, I will surrender to watch John Stewart, Steven Colbert,Cash Cab,Curb Your Enthusiasm, or Flight of the Conchords. That is it. I usually do this to make an effort at participating with other family members. I must admit though, these shows are good and I do enjoy them. The rest of TV is an insulting bore. I know that sounds harsh but it is the truth. Raising Hope is hysterical. I actually searched the internet for more episodes last night when I could not sleep. Almost worth purchasing that absurdly large flat screen for. Bravo!

A really funny show in making ...

Author: atkhan-1 from Pakistan
22 September 2010

I happened to catch 'raising hope' by accident. I was expecting just another mindless sitcom with over-dubbed laughs ... but i got to say ... surprised..

First of all not a lot of shows are shown these days which had teenage parents raising their child, considering the fact a huge amount of teenagers go through with it. may be society wants to keep this hidden or some doesn't find the idea of an idiot teenager raising kid funny. i still think its a good move because all parents are near-idiots there first time.

Secondly this show has just the right combination of elements of sincere family sarcasm (like modern family) and totally insane hilarious situations (like how i met your mother).

Since i have only seen the pilot, i can guess the upcoming episodes would be extremely funny if the writers did well or FOX didn't cancel it for being such a ratings whore.

It's going to be really funny.

Author: Dick Fitzwell from United States
11 August 2010

I got a chance to see the pilot of Raising Hope, which was originally called Keep Hope Alive, and I loved it. I was laughing pretty hard at pretty much the entire show. Most of the things that were going on during the program were things I haven't seen before on a cable television show. It is very original and has a lot of visual comedy also some very funny dialogue. The characters go together well and the acting is very believable. If you liked My Name Is Earl(RIP) then you are going to love Greg Garcia's newest creation! Raising Hope gives you almost the same feeling as My Name Is Earl when you watch it but it's definitely not going to be the exact same show. It's on Fox premiering September 21, 2010. I can't wait to watch it again and see other episodes!

Excellent Start To A Promising Show

Author: sugarlullaby-1 from United States
22 September 2010

The first episode was very very funny. The show is about a young guy who lives with his parents, his great grand-mother, and a cousin who lives in a tent. After a one-night stand that results in a baby, the young man decides to keep the baby after the mother is executed. What i love about this show is that it is a great example that even though your family may be dysfunctional, deep down they all really care for each other and stick out during the bad times. Very funny and believable acting. It has a very natural feel to it, as opposed to a "sitcom" feel. Martha Plimpton is fantastic as the mother. Everything from how she delivers her dialogue to her body language and facial expressions are spot-on. Garrett Dillahunt (who plays her husband) is also very funny. He is hilarious throughout, especially the scene where he is explaining his job: "I got pH's to balance..that's science!". Very very funny. I really hope this show stays on the air. It is a very believable look at an everyday family who are just trying to get by with the help of each other, and even though they take jabs at each other all day long, at the end of the day, they love each other. Great new show. I will be a faithful viewer....

Gregory Thomas Garcia ROCKS!

Author: zaenkney from United States
6 October 2010

My daddy always told my brother he better never pick up a girl when he was using the van because that was just a recipe for trouble! Jimmy (Lucas Neff) is compelled to give a lift to a young lady who seems to be running for her life from an angry man. She then shows him her gratitude for saving her and goes home to meet the family. The family – I would call this a contemporary 'Clampett Family', even down to the car Jimmy remembers riding in during his formative years with a 'pavement view' in lieu of a sunroof. His mom and dad, even Maw Maw (Cloris Leachman), are very impressed with his new girlfriend, at least for a short time. Many months later, Jimmy is a single parent in a singular environment and this is where the fun begins.

Garret Dillahunt and Martha Plimpton are outstanding as Jimmy's parents, Burt and Virginia. Dillahunt has grossly deviated from his usual bad guy role into comedy and he is hilarious. Martha Plimpton has already proved she can do anything. In this series the baby's potential comes under suspicion with comments regarding her 'hermeditary' evilness, and her species when Maw Maw hollers, "Get that dog off my couch!" At this house, Maw Maw's lucidity is a curse, but don't worry, it only comes in short bursts. This show is an unexpected and riotous treat. 10/06/2010

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]