IMDb > Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Disgraceful,this trilogy gets worse as it goes on,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
19 December 2011

Alvins And The Chipmunks:Chipwrecked is a terrible movie,the three Alvin And The Chipmunks movies aren't well received but to be honest I enjoyed the first two,but this one is absolutely awful,in the first two they sing a lot but at the right time,in this they just sing whenever they feel like it,but the thing I hate most about this movie is the god awful Zoe,played by Jenny Slatewho is just a stupid character,although I do like The Chipmunks themselves,not so much for the Chipettes.

The Chipmunks,The Chippettes and Dave go on a cruise on there way to the international movie awards,but The Chipmunks and The Chippetes get stuck on an island (long story) and Dave separately gets stuck with Ian Hawke in a pellican suit.

A Nutshell Review: Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
16 December 2011

For as long as the Chipmunks can be milked to draw in the holiday crowds, the sequels will never stop. After all, the digital templates are there and done up to be recycled countless of times, and the live action characters just jolly well need not be there for things to work. Pop hits between the films serve as the highlights for getting the munked treatment, and while they do sound cute initially, eventually this novelty will soon wear off. Director Mike Mitchell, who sounded the death knell for Shrek with his Shrek Forever After, happened to do the same for Alvin and the Chipmunks in coming up with something so uninspired and clearly going through the motion.

The first film as expected is the origin film, followed by the sequel which is more or less a mirror image of the first, except with the trio from the opposite sex known as the Chippettes. In the third film, with everyone - Alvin (voiced by Justin Long), Simon (Matthew Gray Gubler), Theodore (Jesse McCartney), Brittany (Christina Applegate), Jeanette (Anna Faris) and Eleanor (Amy Poehler) - all living under the same roof as Dave (Jason Lee) their surrogate dad/manager, you'd expect that perhaps things can get a wee bit more cerebral, but alas all we're getting is a rehash of characterization not already seen in the films, and done countless of times in their animated series.

Alvin is still being Alvin, Simon needs to chill and Theodore just needs to be cute. So goes for the Chippettes with vain Brittany, introverted Jeanette and Eleanor just makes a lot of clothes and costumes in this one, since they're all stuck in an unnamed island (in Hawaii on location so it seems). What was to be a family cruise vacation turned out to be an abandoned island adventure, with Ian (David Cross) the chipmunks' ex-manager and one time music executive on board as well as the nasty opposition (too weak to be called a villain or the antagonist), and Zoe (Jenny Slate), a woman stuck in the island for close to a decade, and exhibiting the very same signs of loneliness that Tom Hanks' Chuck Noland did in Cast Away, except that she has more friends other than Wilson.

Centering around the chipmunks' fight for survival amongst themselves and with Zoe, as well as Simon and Alvin's temporal transformation in character - one being French (don't ask) and more carefree while the other getting all serious and responsible, the story plays out like an extended cartoon episode, with Dave and Ian on a quest to try and rescue their cash cows before something untoward get to happen to them, which in the story, is zilch given a low threat situation, most of the time. Nothing spectacular gets to happen in the film, and it runs like on a plateau without any highs or lows, and soon you'll feel you may be better off looking at caged animals in a zoo.

Which is a bit frustrating because the story's written by both Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger, who were also responsible for what I felt were some of the more intelligent animated films in recent years with their Kung Fu Panda and its sequel, having the right elements balanced in terms of story, characters, comedy, action and entertainment for both the kids and accompanying adults alike, but this effort seemed to be written without much heart put into it to cater for the lowest common denominator, and it shows. Granted they also did stinkers like Monsters Vs Aliens, but when you set the bar higher, that's where you'll be benchmarked against, and that's where this proved to be a total Chip-Wreck.

If you've never liked the singing and dancing Chipmunk and Chipette trio, you're certainly not going to after this rehash of a sequel

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
13 December 2011

You don't change the formula, not when it is one that has worked to amass a cool US$400mil worldwide per picture. So despite boasting a new director in the form of 'Sky High' and 'Shrek Forever After's' Mike Mitchell, this third live-action adaptation of the classic animated TV series is surprisingly alike to the earlier two instalments. That's going to be good news for those who loved both the first 'Alvin and the Chipmunks' as well as the 'Squeakquel'- but for those hoping that this third outing will finally have the charm that eluded the first two, we'd like to warn you to be disappointed.

Penned once again by the duo of Johnathan Aibel and Glenn Berger, the 'Chipwrecked' adventure uses yet another paper-thin plot to string together the hi-jinks of the singing and dancing Chipmunk trio as well as their female Chipette equivalents. Here, Alvin's mischief while vacationing on a cruise with their kind beleaguered owner Dave (Jason Lee) leaves the Chipmunks and the Chipettes stranded on a desert island with a volcano that's about to blow its top. Oh and did we mention Alvin's hand-gliding stunt also lands both Dave and their arch-nemesis from before, Ivan (David Cross), overboard and washed up on the same, albeit different corner of the, island?

It's no secret how- let alone if- the Chipmunks and Chipettes manage to make it off the island alive, and not even the addition of a new character, Zoe (Jenny Slate), whom Aibel and Berger unabashedly models after Tom Hanks' FedEx employee in Castaway, adds much life to what is really an awfully predictable plot. Admittedly, none of the Chipmunk movies have had much story, and to expect better from 'Chipwrecked' would therefore be a tall order. Like the previous instalments therefore, this one is simply content to coast on the 'aw-shucks' cute charms of the chipmunks.

Indeed, each Chipmunk seems to be calculated to appeal to a certain demographic- whether the playful leader Alvin, the responsible brainiac Simon, or the adorably naïve Theodore, as well as the corresponding Chipettes Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor. Their incessant high-pitched bantering and bickering that unfolds at a lightning pace is still clearly the highlight of the show, not forgetting of course their regular song and dance numbers set to some of the contemporary chart- topping pop tunes like Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance', Willow Smith's 'Whip My Hair' and Destiny Child's 'Survivor'.

Like we said, it's worked before- like a charm, if we may add- with family audiences, so expect more of the same this time round. A midway twist where Simon starts assuming an alter-ego in the form of Frenchman Simone after getting bitten by a poisonous spider tries to inject some novelty into the Chipmunks' routine, but the initial appeal of watching the usually rational Simon turn debonair and somewhat impetuous quickly wears out its welcome. Faring slightly better is the budding attraction between Simon and Jeanette, manufactured nonetheless to elicit maximum geek appeal.

Speaking of geek, those who loved 'My Name is Earl' may be dismayed to find that Jason Lee plays again the lead human character in the movie- and while the talented Jason looks like he could easily sleepwalk through the role, he does succeed in drawing out more than a few laughs in between his repartee with David Cross. Mitchell however displays little of the flair he exhibited in the superhero surprise 'Sky High' and his work here is as nondescript as his earlier in 'Shrek Forever After'.

Of course, the fault isn't entirely Mitchell's- after all, the template for the 'Alvin and the Chipmunks' live-action films have been pretty much fixed in stone after the resounding success of the first two movies. This three-quel is made only for those who have enjoyed both its predecessors, since ultimately it rehashes the same singing and dancing Chipmunk formula. Nevertheless, it's fast becoming a foolish consistency, and the likely fourth entry better not just be simply another Chip off the old block.

- www.moviexclusive.com

Thank goodness for Theodore!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
4 January 2012

I sort of enjoyed the previous two movies, they were not great movies but I found them quite cute. I wish I could say the same for this latest instalment, but I can't. It does have its moments, Jason Lee and David Cross are decent and have some entertaining exchanges. The film apart from some slapdash editing does look reasonable with the chipmunks looking serviceable and the scenery beautiful.

Best of all is Theodore, he always was adorable and made you want to cuddle him and here is no exception.

On the other hand, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked feels rather lacklustre this time around. The pop songs was a bonus in both of the previous two movies, here they sound really tired with generic melodies and forgettable lyrics. The vocals themselves are okay, not too annoying considering the tone, but again nothing out of the ordinary. The messages about family ties and responsibilities are important ones but they seem rather forced here.

The script generally was weak, there was very little that was fresh or funny for me apart from the exchanges between Cross and Lee, and there are some lines that have been covered in previous reviews that really don't belong in a family movie. The story like the previous two is predictable, except this time around it is not as charming or exciting.

I didn't care for the characters, excepting cute little Theodore. Zoe the eccentric castaway is more annoying than endearing, and something about Alvin rubbed me up the wrong way, he came across as too much of a jerk in some scenes. The acting/voice work is mixed, I liked Cross, Lee and Jesse McCartney, and Justin Long and Matthew Gray Gubler are alright I guess even with the bad material, but Jenny Slate didn't raise a single smile and the rest ranged from adequate to bland.

All in all, not as tortuously bad as some have said, but it wasn't anything special to me. By all means I understand why some may like it, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. 4/10 Bethany Cox

Look in the Thesaurus under Execrable, Then Go Down from There

Author: RichardSRussell-1 from United States
16 December 2011

Alvin and the Chipmunks [3]: Chipwrecked (1:27, G) — other: talking animals, 3rd string, sequel

Aauuugggghhhh! Ack! Gack! Bork bork bork. Bllegegegghhhh! Ptui ptui ptui.

My brain, my brain! Make it stop. Make it go away. I'll never be able to unsee this. Oh, god, the nightmares for years to come.

ALLLVVIIINNNNN! No, no, no, no, no, no. It was never funny. It was never endearing. It was never cute. It was just awful and horrible and beaten to death over and over and yet it keeps coming back like a vampire with 98 stakes in its heart.

I think my ears are bleeding.

My mind is going, Dave. I can feel it. I can feel it.

The horror. The horror.

BONUS: The main excrescence is preceded by a Blue Sky short animated feature with Scrat, the acorn-crazed squirrel from the Ice Age films. It was abrupt and pointless and about 100 times more admission-worthy than the title printed on the ticket.

Fun movie, but uneven at times

Author: CMTiago from Portugal
15 May 2014

After watching the first movie, and loving it, I was hoping that its sequels would have delivered in the same manner. Having not had the time to watch Nº2, I came across this one and decided to watch it. By the end of the movie I had smiled and laughed in some parts, but overall the plot was very uneven. I am not gonna bicker too much since it is a family movie and the little ones probably laughed and had a lot of fun. To summarize some of the problems I had with the movie, I believe that some of the characters were a bit too cartoonish (I shouldn't be surprised though) and a weak plot guideline that doesn't leave anything to the imagination. The movie also lacks any real thrills, which hurts its chances with more mature audiences. I will say that the performances of Jason Lee and David Cross were what I expected. Alvin and company are undoubtedly a good way to spend an afternoon with your family watching movies, but do yourself a favor and don't watch it alone.

Rating 6/10

Not AS "Chipwrecked" as everyone says

Author: LordDico from United States
5 January 2012

"Alvin and the Chipmunks" is a franchise that's been getting much popularity with many kids of passing generations. The film series, based on the 80's to 90's cartoon, based on the 50's album, tells the story of the relationship of Dave Sullivan taking care of 3 chipmunks who become rock stars, and it's been told as it's been. The film series is something that most people find to be anything, but masterpiece material.

With the first film, it was a decent film that introduced the new generation to Alvin, Simon and Theodore, on how they met Dave Suvil, played by Jason Lee, but didn't do as good as was expected. The film, however, was far from terrible, so it was something one could watch and enjoy from time to time. The second film however, didn't do as well as the first. It felt too much like the first film, with David Cross being the film's antagonist again, and repeating some of the same jokes. With the new film, only four words would describe it.

It's not the 'Squekquel'.

The new film does try to work in a new kind of concept and bring something new into it, but mostly falls flat due to most clichés. This is the only movie where David Cross isn't the villain and it doesn't involve any of the chipmunks or chipettes in cages. I do give credit for trying, but it's not enough to say that it's as good as the original. I'm not saying that it's TERRIBLE or anything, but it's not good either. Some of the jokes in the beginning along with some scenes with David Cross are what I seemed to have laughed. The pop-culture references and songs sung in the film are sort of recognizable, but some aren't ones that I'm not very fond of.

Another thing that is kind of upsetting is the cast of characters. If they're going to alter the voices anyway, then they could've just gotten some new actors to do it anyway. But then again, some people are desperate for work and will do anything for a paycheck. Would I say it's bad? Mostly, but it has it's moments sometimes. Would I pay tickets for this in the theater? Technically, I did, but for others, I'd wait to rent it.

Innocuous enough, but this series has officially worn out its welcome

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
2 September 2013

What will they think of next... Alvin and The Chipmunks: In Space? Somehow I wouldn't be surprised... I thought the first movie was really cute, and the second movie sucked major donkey balls. What about this one? It wasn't as bad as the second sequel, but it wasn't very good. The chipmunks are very obnoxious in this one, and lack the innocence that they had in the first two. It does have a couple of funny moments near the end, but that's really about it. Jason Lee's role is reduced significantly here. He wasn't that big of a focus in the second one either, and that trend continues here. His interactions & chemistry with the Chipmunks is what made the first movie so enjoyable. It just fell flat in this one. David Cross returns and his menacing act has gotten extremely stale. The Chipettes are more tolerable than the chipmunks in this one believe it or not. Spending 90 minutes with these guys has gotten to be rather tiresome

Final Thoughts: Better than the second one, but that isn't saying much. It's a mediocre film. Time to put the kibosh on this series

Mediocre, Even for Chipmunk Fans...

Author: tdzaleski
16 May 2012

ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS: CHIPWRECKED - Rating: C+ I have been a chipmunk fan since before the Live Action films came out (I consider myself generation 2.5 being born in '95 and being a fan of both old and new). I loved the first two, Squeakuel being my favorite. But, I can't give this movie as good of a review as the other ones.

The singing seemed forced and not as free flowing as what it once was. They just wanted to cram as many songs into it as possible. I didn't care for the song selection other than "Vacation" and "Born this way/Ain't no Stoppin' us Now/Firework". And it's constant singing every 5 minutes. If you like the singing part, then this will be up your alley. But, I found it exhaustive. As for the plot, I get it. But, there was much to be desired. It's too short, and there's not a lot to it at all. It also seemed a LOT more serious than the other movies. It's supposed to be in the "CGI/Live Action Family Comedy" genre, but there's not a lot of real "funny" parts except a few attempts to throw in humor from other movies and videos (Even some from youtube)

********SPOILERS******** Alvin is being Alvin again in the beginning. But that's pretty much it. The plot was quite predictable. There was too much foreshadowing. If they wanted to improve the story, add some suspense and then we'll talk.

After the Chipmunks & Chipettes were stranded, things went for the worse. The way everyone's personality was changed wasn't the best idea for the plot, and it really changed the outlook on the movie. Because of the personality change, things became too obvious. After the cave was found and the volcano became active, the plot was laid down right in front of you and you knew instantly that there was going to be a race against time dealing with the treasure. It became obvious that Zoe instantly that Zoe was crazy looking for the treasure and that she would do something stupid to get it. Personally, I found her just to be another random person that they added just to stretch time.

I understand that the movie was made for a younger crowd, but I still am a true chipmunk fan. I just can't come to truly love the movie like the previous ones. My advice, if you didn't care for the previous movies, don't waste the money. If you are a die hard fan, then it may be worth renting for a day just to see it (Redbox is only 1.20 after all) It's not the worst, but it's a far cry from the best.

Alvin

Author: kdorsey321 from United States
18 January 2012

For my next movie review, I'm reviewing the movie "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked," starring Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. I want to start off by saying that I think people are taking this movie way too serious! The "imdb" final ratings(as of now) of this movie is 3.4 out of 10. This movie was not that bad. For one this is a kids movie and two what are you expecting from this movie? What you should expect from this movie is Alvin somehow getting all the other chipmunks in trouble and Dave finding a way to save them. And that pretty much what happens in this movie. Let's keep in mind that what was once a thirty minute cartoon is now being turned into a movie.

I tell you what I really like about this movie. I like how they keep the musical theme in the movie. If you can remember when you were younger. The chipmunks had musicals throughout the cartoon series. So its nice that they incorporated that into the movie. Plus, it was nice that they incorporated songs that people were familiar with so people could kind of sing a long and enjoy the movie in that way. I like how the plot simply involves Alvin getting the other chipmunks into trouble and Dave or Simon has to find a way to get them all out. I'm not sure if you should expect anything else.

I tell what I wasn't feeling about the movie. I thought they could have came up with a better theme for the movie as a whole. I felt like something a little less dramatic, besides them ending up on a deserted island would have been fine. At times I did feel like the movie was a little rushed. They could have also dumped the guy with the chicken suit. I felt like there was no need to have him as an antagonist in this film. I think being on a deserted island is antagonistic enough.

At any rate, these are hard movie to rate. You kind of don't want to put it on the same level as certain movies and you also don't want to down grade it too much. I'm giving this movie a 7 out of 10. If you have kids and they love Alvin and the Chipmunks, definitely see this movie. If your grown and you just wondering if you should check it out. I don't see a problem with that. I'm going to say that you can wait for Redbox or Netflix's if you low on cash.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]