IMDb > "Dexter" My Bad (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 49 of 96 Episodes | Next »

Maybe the Most Dramatic and Emotional Episode

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 June 2014

Dexter finds Harrison in a blood puddle and Rita dead in the bathtub and he calls the police. He feels responsible for her death and when the police officer arrives, he says that he did it. LaGuerta delivers the case to the FBI and despite the Trinity's modus operandi, Dexter becomes another suspect of the FBI and prime suspect of Quinn. Dexter feels alone and guilty, and decides to leave Miami and vanish. However after an incident, he meets Harry Morgan again , thinks more clearly and reevaluates his attitude.

"My Bad" is a great episode in the aftermath of Rita's death, with Dexter confused and disturbed. Maybe this is the most dramatic and emotional episode of this show. The talented Michael C. Hall is one of the best television actors and it is amazing that Hollywood has not discovered this magnificent actor for the big screen. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Meu Erro" ("My Mistake")

Needlessly takes it slow, loses tempo from last season.

Author: aid_h6 from Canada
27 September 2010

Alright I hope you all know about the huge twist at the end of season 4. You would think that because of this the tempo would be sustained from season 4 and the two seasons would be heavily intertwined. Apparently this was not what the writers had in mind, as this season looks to resolve the loose ends of the previous season quickly and become a more or less stand alone season like 1 2 and 3.

That's not to say it was bad. Most of the episode was told from inside Dexter's head about his thoughts on the situation. Which is enjoyable as always as Michael C Hall doesn't seem slowed at all by his cancer. Only time will tell if this season can play off the twist of season 4 effectively to not only bring a good Dexter plot we're all used to, but one that hasn't been done before.

Dexter alone

Author: jotix100 from New York
8 August 2011

As the 2010 season begins, this episode brings back most of the salient points of the previous season. After that, Dexter arrives home to find Harrison crying on the floor sitting in a pool of blood white Rita, his mother is immersed in a red tub full of water. Dexter, grabbing his son, calls the police. As they arrive, a disoriented Dexter mutters words to the effect he was involved in the fatal killing of his wife. He is saved as Deb and the homicide unit arrives on the scene.

It is Dexter sad task to inform Rita's parents. The grandparents have taken the children to a theme park. Deb takes Dexter to her apartment where she tries to protect her brother from the press and the ongoing investigation. Going into the scene of the crime, she is accompanied by Quinn, who is at first, reluctant to help her clean the blood all over the bathroom. After they are finished, Deb practically jumps on Quinn in a passionate embrace that will lead to their making out in the house. A confused Quinn, has no clue as to where things will go between them.

Dexter accompanies Deb to the funeral home where the viewing is going to be conducted. Dexter drifts away as the siblings talk to the director to another room where a man has been laid on his coffin. The grieving widow is beside herself in grief over the death. Dexter cannot help but identify with the older woman, although he does not shed a tear in the process. We are given glimpses of how Dexter met Rita, and how on his first date he killed a man outside the restaurant.

Maria LaGuerta has told her unit Rita's killing is in the hands of the FBI, something the detectives wonder about. Out of loyalty they would like to take a role in finding out who was the person that ended Rita's death. She is adamant in stepping away from the investigation, letting the FBI work on the case. Earlier, Quinn had a talk with the next door neighbor, a man that was seen kissing Rita, although he admits nothing beyond the kiss happened between them.

Dexter had a tough time breaking the news to his in-laws, but it is especially difficult with the children. Astor took the news personally, accusing Dexter of letting her mother die. She figures that after all, he was supposed to protect her at all cost. Dexter has a hard time going to Rita's burial. In fact, he had no intention, preferring instead taking out his boat to cruise the bay, the scene where he has gotten rid of so many people he has killed.

The season's opener was not as exciting as expected. One would almost have to wait to see how it will be in coming chapters. This program was directed by Steve Shill with a screenplay by Chip Johannessen. The principals are all involved in this installment with the excellent ensemble play they all bring to the show.

Dexter even better than usual.

Author: Noah Potash
27 September 2010

Perhaps the most impressive episode of Dexter, or indeed any television series in recent memory. Every second is memorable; the viewer's emotions are constantly torn. From Michael C. Hall to Julie Benz, every acting performance is superb. It is difficult to imagine a superior premiere. In fact, one wonders how "My Bad" can possibly be topped. Every time the viewer thinks the intensity cannot increase, they are hit with something else they have totally forgotten. And even with the episode's deathly demeanor, dark and devilishly pointed irony remains. Dexter must be considered one of the best, if not the best, shows on television. season five has completely lived up to the hype for now. A masterpiece.

And Deb is off...

Author: s k from United States
6 April 2014

...on yet another one of her inappropriate sexual escapades. Clearly, she is one effed up woman, who's boundaries and self-esteem issues put her at the top of the list...or the bottom of the list, depending on one's perspective...of messed up human beings.

Meanwhile, Rita's death is sending various shock waves throughout the list of Dexter's co-workers, family, and friends. And everything culminates in a eulogy of lies. Everything about the Dexter-Rita relationship was nothing BUT lies. Rita lied. And Dexter lied. But more importantly, she never knew who Dexter really was, so the relationship was nothing but a grand illusion. And it wasn't even that grand. As Dexter stated at the outset -- he felt comfortable with Rita because she was as damaged as he was. That never fundamentally changed. So any attempt to try to make it more than it was (which is exactly what the show tried to do) is an even bigger lie. So enough already. She's dead. Bury her. And move on.

Excellent, awesome, superb, mesmerizing, etc.... Just when you thought it couldn't get better Michael C. Hall does it ... AGAIN!!

Author: cheme_2 from United States
28 September 2010

Wow... every time i've watched a new episode of Dexter i just say to myself that i've just watched the best episode of the series yet. Then the next episode proves me wrong but doing it again! No only "My Bad" becomes all the time as intriguing, shocking, adrenaline pumping, and twisted as the rest of the series, which it's also accompanied by many wonderful performances from Julie Benz, Lauren Velez, Desmond Horrington and Jennifer Carpenter, but it has become a piece of history on TV that will be remembered in many years to come. Now the one who really takes the cake here as always is Michael C. Hall. Specially in the scene before the last one where he finally ''let his emotions show themselves'' (lets call it like that for now) . Still makes me wonder how this dude doesn't have an Emmy (lol like he needs one) or all the awards out there for Best Actor On Drama series (not trying to put down Cranston though). "My Bad" in my opinion has become just the beginning of what is gonna be another great season full with many explanations from things of the past, and the developing for more situations to come which are only gonna' make this piece of gold on TV as better as it already is. Also outstanding writing, these people (the writers) really have created what is the goddess of Drama series out there right now, and "My Bad" just proves it more, making this a fact.

Drowning story, cold lead performance, cult red and grin scene, questionable new ingredient, inspiring "Debxter", strong supportive cast and characters

Author: igoatabase from France
28 September 2010

Despite the pesky Batista-LaGuerta relationship the fourth season was exceptional. Lost Boys and The Getaway will be remembered as two of the most inspiring, shocking and fascinating episodes ever aired on TV. From its masterful performances to its controversial concept Dexter will never stop to amaze me. There're shows that quickly jump the shark but in this case the great white is not a match for our favorite monster next door. He's just too different.

After the finale dramatic events, like many viewers, I had a few theories about what would happen next. But puzzled and devastated I also felt quite lost. However if we pay attention the moments we share with the Morgan family can only make us stronger. They should open your mind to the wild and wide complexity and ambivalence of the world. We all have an eight passenger lurking in the dark and trying to unleash its fury against us. Some people bury themselves under work, others passively pray all day long hoping for the light to knock at their door step. The show is so literate and deep that most episodes deserve a second viewing. My Bad is no different from its peers.

First of all the dream team behind "Debxter" did it the hard way. 28 days later ? Make it a second ! We witnessed the wicked twins deal with their happy ever after fate. Of course it was captivating and emotionally overwhelming but somehow Michael C. Hall wasn't at his best in my humble opinion. He was great but not as convincing as usual. It's like if he allowed his mask to cool off for too long. Or maybe it's just that his vision is different than mine, so obviously more accurate. Otherwise the family reunion he was featured in was the most tragic and hilarious I have ever seen. It was just a smart and bold move by the writers. It also reassured me about the unlimited potential of the fifth season. However I question the approach imagined to better comprehend our serial killer. It's not original compared to the way his father pops up from nowhere and I found these scenes weren't well blended with the others. I wish they had been more creative and thought something out of the box instead of sticking to an overused recipe. But its execution was well done and in fact I have to admit that it made me want for more, much much more !

As for the other characters they remained themselves, with a twist. Subjectively Jennifer Carpenter is a screen goddess. Seriously I appreciate the way her exquisite skills are used. She's a weapon of mass creation ! Deb is the perfect match for Dex. They're more than just sister and brother. They're the tentacles of a unique, tortured and beautiful amphibious creature. Of course compared to other episodes like Easy as Pie her performance was less excessive because it was more about Hall. But I really like her pants, or not, and can't wait for her inevitable moments. Indeed I suspect the puppet masters have planned something very special for her this season. Her development in the pilot had already a few sparkles but I'm sure the best is yet to come. Let's also not forget to mention the Vince attitude, whom revelations were pivotal, and the Batista-LaGuerta mumbo jumbo that finally made sense when I never expected it would. Am I happy for them ? Oh yeah !

It leads us to the story, intense and unpredictable. The beginning was linear but their adventure quickly became mazy and you should quickly lost your reason between its hazy lines. From its indecisive partners to its ultimate pinnacle the journey wasn't flawless but overall it was a bitter delicious way to begin the season. Moreover its abrupt ending should make you hungry for next week so you better full your belly before enduring My Bad because when it comes to Dexter missing it is not excusable, it's lethal.