IMDb > Cellmates (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cellmates

Cellmates More at IMDbPro »

Great film! Comedic and Heartwarming.

Author: Jill Reilly
9 February 2012

I saw this at the Los Angeles Latino Film Festival. It was my favorite film there. The audience was laughing so much that at times, it was hard to hear the film. Who would have thought Tom Sizemore playing a racist KKK member would be so hilarious. Hector Jimenez is also wonderfully funny as a farm labor worker who must share a cell with Sizemore's character. Stacy Keach also lights up the screen with his portrayal of the prison warden who is obsessed with potatoes. I don't want to ruin where the story goes but the film transcends being just a comedy and makes a statement on race relations in this country. Well written and directed, I recommend it to all!

Pretty Enjoyable!

Author: kallmekash from Pakistan
11 December 2012

I believe character actors can give you surprises anytime... when it comes to Tom Sizemore, I only remembered him in Heart and Souls although I had seen him quite often in several other movies... but boy how good he did it in Cellmates, it made me check out his resume here and got me remember more than a dozen of his performances in the movies I had already seen...

The plot is very straight and obvious... a mean racist guy learns to love people... but the process which he goes through is what you have to enjoy in the movie... I personally think this movie is as surprising as Bad-Ass starring Danny Trejo.. Do watch it... you won't regret...

A Gem

Author: albrechtcm from United States
31 October 2012

Tom Sizemore wrings every moment out of the role of a lifetime. A hateful guy, practically a Nazi, whom you can't help loving. You sympathize with him throughout this romp despite his insane beliefs. This was Mr. Sizemore's moment. 'Nuff said. I don't want him to get big-headed. The rest of the cast was right on and gave everything they had. Over the top? Sure. Cartoon-like characters, yes. Mugging stolen straight from The Three Stooges? Absolutely, but this clever film manages to take an extremely touchy subject: racism, and turn it into a screaming comedy, a comedy with pathos. Disgusting as the warden (Stacy Keach) is, you can't help but like the guy and Héctor Jiménez is a one of a kind, professional scene-stealer by trade. The pacing of Cellmates is just right. Not fast, but never a dull moment. The sweet Olga Segura adds mucho encanto and romance without saying a word on screen, and I was impressed that the script by Baget and Moscato never allowed itself to be drawn into the usual prison clichés: food fights, shanks, mean hulk-like bullies and sadistic guards, etc. This being a prison work farm, the prisoners had more freedom and we didn't have to look at all the hard-core tattooed killers and perverts shuffling around in chains. Overall, an uplifting film with sorry-ass characters you just gotta love. Don't fail to add this to your collection.

Enjoyable Film

Author: cB391 from Canada
7 April 2013

When I originally began to watch this movie, I figured it would be a typical comedy, something that would make lame jokes and not really do much else. The first part of the movie sets the scene for this, and I felt I got what I expected. With the arrival of Emilio, the story changes. It takes a different pace, and tries to develop a relationship amongst the characters. While it does not explore the serious harms of prison life (it does seek some comedic relief by portraying the violence), it does have a few plot twists, as well as a simple moral to the story.

The connection between Leroy and Madalena is well presented, focusing on an emotional connection over the brief physical ones, usually associated with low budget comedy movies.

While the movie does not have great graphics, the music is well done for most situations, and the acting is adequate-good. The movie should draw you in, so it is definitely worth watching.

There isn't too much simplistic comedy, and no nudity, drug usage etc., so if you are looking for that, this may not be the movie for you, but otherwise, check it out as a good 85 minutes of cinema.

Pleasant surprise !

Author: Velimir cosic from United States
19 November 2012

The reason that I clicked and watched the movie Cellmates on Netflix was the funny-looking poster. It was the biggest most pleasant surprise that I had lately been watching a movie. Director Jesse Baget made serious situation played by Tom Sizemore (racist Ku Klux Klan member) and his cell mate Héctor Jiménez (immigrant farm laborer) to a very enjoyable movie The whole story developed by two totally different worlds collide in the small cell, and after Leroy fell in love with his wardens (played by Stacey Keach) office cleaning lady, a beautiful Madalena (played by Olga Segura ), those worlds became very close. Commence the suspension of disbelief. Despite Leroy's loathing of "fence hoppers" and insistence that "Mexicans should stay in Mexico," Emilio's endearing loquacity gradually wins him over. There were no special effects like in an action movie, except great camera movements, especially actor's full face close-ups. This idea gave a movie different light and made the actors look more desirable to watch. In addition to the suggestive hilarity, Cellmates is a well-constructed comedy that is modestly lyrical and methodical in its implementation. It is indeed quite perceptive within its off-the-wall shadings. The harmonizing soundtrack elevates the film's cheerful personality. Visually, Cellmates is shot beautifully and feels authentic in its vintage stylish leanings.

Funny little indie.

Author: Marcus Lederholm
12 February 2012

Browsing through Amazon's new VOD section I found this little hidden gem. What first caught my eye was a goofy-looking Tom Sizemore on the cover. When did he get out of jail/rehab? Anyway, I also recognized the guy that played opposite of Jack Black in Nacho Libre, Hector Jimenez.

Not expecting much but an hour or two of distraction from this likely mediocre movie I was delighted to have found a well-made and very funny film!

Cellmates stars Tom Sizemore who plays Leroy Lowe, a KKK leader sent to prison for tax evasion. He is first put into a cell with a fellow KKK member played by Kevin Farley, who is hilarious as the simpleton, Bubba. They get along "like two peas in a pod," but a sudden change of events pairs Leroy in a cell with immigrant farm laborer Emilio (a lovable and funny Hector Jimenez) who instantly riles Leroy's racial prejudices.

Leroy complains to the Warden (an impeccable Stacey Keach) but the Warden won't listen to Leroy's complaints. All he cares about are his prize-winning potatoes that are cultivated by his inmates.

After much (hilarious) conflict and fighting, Leroy and Emilio learn to get along and eventually become friends as Emilio helps Leroy win the love of the Warden's maid and Leroy helps Emilio write to the U.S. Justice Department for his wrongful imprisonment.

Everything from the acting to the directing and writing to the cinematography were excellent and were beyond what I was expecting from just seeing the cover. This is a genuinely funny and heartwarming movie that has intelligence, and bravely takes the taboo issues of race and immigration in the U.S. and makes them okay to acknowledge and even laugh at!

Awesome sleeper!!!!

Author: huntsam15108 from United States
11 September 2013

I found myself almost right from the start of this film, yearning to shut it off and find an action film or reality TV show like duck dynasty or pawn stars. However, somewhere in all the negative connotations stirred up by this subject. I found myself strangely seduced by the subliminal message this film massages into your heart. I guess somewhere inside of me I find that I really wish that in my lifetime. That altruism brought on by exposure and common goals, similar to my armed forces experience. Would one day bring my nation a time of unprecedented peace, brotherly love and acceptance. This film reminded me that our children's children, should not know that we couldn't find the time for one more hug. But did find time to hate others.

Humorous, Even If Forced

Author: gavin6942 from United States
23 May 2013

Leroy Lowe, grand dragon of the Texas Ku Klux Klan confronts everything he's been taught to hate when he's sentenced to three years of hard labor on a prison work farm, where Warden Merville, dead set on rehabilitating Leroy, chooses Emilio, a Hispanic field worker imprisoned for fighting for labor rights, to be his cell-mate.

The plot of this one is very forced -- there is no way a man is going to enter into prison as a head of a white supremacist group and start warming up to the idea of migrant worker's labor rights or even think about starting a relationship with a Mexican woman. So if we were to judge this film on realism, it fails miserably.

Luckily, as a comedy, it need not be judged on realism. It only has to be funny. And it is. Tom Sizemore and Stacy Keach are both humorous, and it was nice to see Keach put a new spin on a role he already covered nicely in "Prison Break".

Tom Sizemore is fantastic! A lot of fun!

Author: jim-trombone from huntington beach, ca
12 February 2012

I'm a big fan of Tom Sizemore but hadn't seen him in a comedic role before. Turns out, he's hilarious. Most superb actors can be great in comedic roles (Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, Morgan Freeman) and Tom Sizemore is no exception. He plays Leroy Lowe the Grand Dragon of the Texas Ku Klux Klan. It may not sound very funny from that description but the film tastefully has fun with Mexico/America relations and actually has a lot to say. Stacy Keach is very funny in the film as a warden. The film takes an unsuspected turn into love story territory which was also a pleasant surprise as Tom Sizemore came across very endearing and you could actually see the lead female character (played by Olga Segura) falling for him. Overall the movie reminded me a bit of Raising Arizona or Napoleon Dynamite. The writing is superb and I highly recommend you check out this feel good gem of a film!