Hodejegerne (2011) Poster

(2011)

You rarely get a movie this good
thebackofmyhouse19 January 2012
Wow. It has been a long time since I've seen a movie this good. The movie tells the story of Roger Brown, a headhunter who also has a side job as an art thief. His latest job goes wrong and things get out of control from there on. If I give any more of the plot, I will spoil the movie for you. And trust me, you don't want that. A big part of what I enjoyed about the movie is watching how crazy things go for Roger.

Apart from the very intelligent story, what really makes the film standout is the character development, especially for the main character Roger Brown played excellently by Aksel Hennie. You start of seeing him one way, but by the end of the movie, your perception of him will definitely change. He goes through a lot (and I mean A LOT) in the movie. While watching the movie I kept thinking, "Man, give this guy a break". The intelligent story has a whole lot of heart as well.

The acting was top notch from the 2 main actors, Aksel Hennie and Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau (who you may know as Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones). Synnøve Macody Lund who play Roger's wife Diana is beautifully good too. I hope she gets more prominent roles after this.

This is one movie you shouldn't miss. There's a Hollywood version in the making but it would be very hard top this original.
157 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smart, intelligent, engaging and surprisingly witty Headhunters
OJT27 August 2011
At first I have to say I read the novel of which this movie is based upon, "Headhunters" by Jo Nesbø, two years ago. A thriller I liked quite a lot. Usually a novel is better than the film. Well, here Morten Tyldum (Acclaimed films as "Buddy" and a short in "Most people usually live in China"), succeeded in making a film just as interesting and exciting as the book.

Nesbø's writing is interesting. This is most probably why Jo Nesbø's first movie adaption of his series of novels with Harry Hole will be directed by Martin Scorsese, on Nesbø's demand - his favorite director.

Actually I still kept being surprised as the movie went along. Not only because I can't remember all details in the book, but simply because the movie has a pace and also from time to time action-clipping which makes you feel poor Roger Brown's disasters. The handcraft is beautifully done. As simple as that.

Actually this film was sold to more than 50 distributors in just as many countries before it even premiered in Norway. Probably both to the novel writers Jo Nesbø's for the latter years has become world acclaimed and compared to Stieg Larsson, buy maybe also due to director Morten Tyldums merits so far. Of course also credit to the producers, managing to sell on a promise!?

Mark Wahlberg has said he was stunned by the film, and is now to make an American remake of it, with himself as Roger. Which, of course, is not at all needed. The original is as good as it gets.

Well, back to the story. Roger Brown is a self-obtained headhunter for big companies, which has to steal art on the side to keep his woman happy. Or at least he think he has to do so. He has all the right connections, until he starts stealing from the wrong guy, while headhunting him as a new boss to a successful company. A former mercenary, or different kind of headhunter, he's turning out to be. When he understands that his greed has gotten him into trouble, he really finds out what it is, being headhunted.

Both Aksel Hennie and Nicolai Coaster-Waldau is perfectly casted for this movie. Synnøve Macody Lund does a decent job in her debut-role, as do the rest of the cast. Fun also to see that real working police-chiefs in Oslo are attending the police press conference in the movie. Didn't know that even was possible for them to be allowed to do that. This actually makes both an in-joke as well as making the plot believable and "true" in our country.

It will surprise me if this film doesn't get a remake in Hollywood in less than two years. Not that it'll be as good as this, or even necessary. But that's how the Hollywood-world is, nowadays.

No doubt, the script is good. So is in all aspects the rest of the film as well. The film is smart, intelligent, surprising witty, and will engage you all the way through, both as a good story as well as a love story or a thriller. How much more do you want?
199 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The cut-throat world of Norwegian recruitment consultancy...
bennington138 April 2012
Touted as the next Stieg Larsson (or if you prefer, Norway's answer to Sweden's other major literary export, Henning Mankell), Jo Nesbo's Headhunters had already been earmarked for a (no doubt inferior) US remake before it was even released overseas.

Roger Brown (Aksel Hennie) is a 168cm recruitment consultant with a big house, a beautiful wife and an inferiority complex that drives him to moonlight as an art thief. The prosaically named protagonist is no Thomas Crown - he steals to keep a (wildly overleveraged) roof over his head and only pockets a measly 30% of the revenue from his ill-gotten gains. Even his appearance is counterintuitive - more bug eyed Steve Buscemi than suited and booted Bond. Even so, there's more going on here than meets the eye, but suffice to say that his real troubles start when he decides to go after The Big One - the retirement score that will put an end to his financial troubles and allow him to keep his ridiculously attractive wife in the style to which he's become accustomed.

To say anything more about the plot would be superfluous, but I will take a moment to admire the confidence of the director Morten Tyldum. Headhunters is, in a sense, typically Scandinavian - stark, brooding and with as much silence as dialogue. The style here serves the substance - the camera is often completely immobile, forcing the audience to concentrate on what's going on, a complete contrast to the craftsmanship/gimmickry more typical of glossy mainstream thrillers coming out of the US. Rather than spoonfeeding the audience every single clue, Headhunters isn't afraid to lead the unwitting watcher on a merry dance. Naturally the whole enterprise rests on the small but perfectly formed cast, particularly Hennie, with whom we slowly come to empathise, and the more typically suave Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau as the former exec with a murky past.

If Headhunters has a particular weakness, it's that it spends most of its time descending into increasingly dark (and occasionally graphically violent) territory, while occasionally veering into light hearted caper. This does feel slightly bewildering, but to be honest, it's a relative minor criticism. Headhunters is definitely worth catching (particularly given the woefully slim pickings over the past few months), if not now, then 6 months from now when it premieres on Film Four in the middle of the night. Scandinavians (and cinéastes with a penchant for Northern European film) may be used to this kind of thing, but for the rest of us it's a wonderfully welcome arctic blast through the land's tat filled cinema screens.
65 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not perfect, but way ahead of most films of this kind.
Bob Gant9 April 2012
I have seen some plot holes mentioned by other reviewers, but to be honest it won't spoil your viewing of this movie and I could even say that most films ask you for some kind of suspension of disbelief, otherwise you'd never go to the movies.

I really didn't like the protagonist at all at first, but then your sympathy for him grows as he ends up having to do things that he wouldn't dream of in a million years, just to stay alive.

It's all handled very well and moves along at a nice pace. There some particularly black moments when you almost feel guilty about laughing. But this film got a reaction from me, and for me, that's what a well put together film should do.
83 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More Twists and Turns than a Fjord-side Road
soncoman6 May 2012
Roger Brown has a pretty good life. By day, he's a corporate recruiter (headhunter) who goes home at night to a magnificent house and stunning wife. Unfortunately, Roger's insecurities (he's only 5'6") lead him to seek a lifestyle well beyond his means. How does he make up the difference between his income and expenses? High-priced art theft, of course.

Such is the premise of "Headhunters," a terrific Norwegian film that follows up its run at the 55th San Francisco International Film Festival with a general release. The film garnered quite a lot of buzz at the Festival and, after a recent screening, it's easy to see why. A mixture of crime/heist drama, action/suspense thriller, and love story, it's what the 1999 version of "The Thomas Crown Affair" might have looked like if it had been directed by Sam Peckinpah.

Brown, played by Aksel Hennie, is looking for one big score to settle him for life. Circumstances bring that possibility to him, but things are not what they seem. Things go wrong - very, very wrong - and Roger finds himself in deep, deep sh** (literally as well as figuratively.) To say much more would spoil the intricate plot (I'll leave that to the trailer,) but suffice it to say you should just sit back, buckle up, and enjoy the ride. This film has more twists and turns than a fjord-side road.

Fast paced and extremely violent in spots, this film is not for the squeamish. If you can get through a little (well, a lot) of body mutilation, high impact body trauma and the occasional spearing, you'll find yourself enjoying (yes, I said it – enjoying) a cinematic thrill ride that puts its American counterparts (see Ocean's Eleven/Twelve/Thirteen, etc.) to shame.

Catch it before the typical half-assed American remake appears…

www.worstshowontheweb.com
60 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely Gripping
katsinspace-347-38680019 April 2012
Headhunters, based on Jo Nesbo's novel of the same, lived up to all my expectations - even though I am not very keen on thrillers in general. It all started out fairly interesting, although I quickly started to dislike the main character, Roger Brown. His snobbish, very self-confident attitude just put me off. However, to support his lavish lifestyle, he steals art to afford everything for his beloved wife and it all ends in a captivating battle of survival. Soon, he is chased by his rival, Clas Greve, and it seems to be an absolutely hopeless escape as Greve is always just a few steps behind. First, I attended the movie with close attention. But in the end, I didn't even dare to breath properly. A highly-recommended, although too bloody, high-quality thriller for everybody!
51 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thrilling ride
PipAndSqueak8 April 2012
Pretty boy Aksel Hennie (ginger beauty on a par with Julian Rhind-Tutt), proves to be well cast in this frantic thriller. Starting as an arrogant self-important but clearly insecure (at just 5'6")office type, he soon shows his coolness in robbing job candidates of their fine art. The story is inventive and translates well to the screen in this version directed by Morten Tyldum. The action soon turns horrifying and Aksel Hennie has the perfect physiognomy to illustrate the change without recourse to words. You really do travel this terrible journey with him and it is truly terrifying. You begin to empathise with a man you have no reason to like, and that is saying something! Thank goodness there is no smell-o-vision as Roger Brown seeks refuge in a cesspool. There's nowhere for him to go and no way of hiding. You do feel he will never survive - and this takes you right to the penultimate scenes. A marvellous tour de force by all involved. Hurrah! A brilliant film at last!
36 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Norwegian crime thriller with twists
Laakbaar15 April 2012
Dark Scandinavian crime movies being all the rage lately, this intelligent, action-packed thriller didn't disappoint. I went into the film without reading the book or indeed knowing a single thing about the film. I enjoyed it.

I was drawn into this northern world with its interesting people and beautiful natural scenery. What also made this movie stand out was the fast-paced plot with many unusual and unexpected twists. It is the kind of film that has you glued to your seat to see what could possibly happen next to the main character. Roger Brown, the headhunter, becomes headhunted. (But what's the story with the English name??)

No movie is perfect. There were a few plot problems and I have to admit I looked at my watch half way through, despite the fast pace.

Perhaps the film could be faulted for showing only two types of Norwegians: rich sophisticates and yokels (all blond of course). Aren't there any ordinary middle-class people in Norway?

Also, some of the scenes may be too difficult for the squeamish to watch. Not exessive, but just a little over the top.

I'd give this film a higher score, but I am not a fan of the genre. Still, I did enjoy it for what it was and would recommend it to anyone. It's a good movie.
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is how a thriller should be
kjetil19792 April 2012
Im from Norway, and the last years Norwegians movies that are known has been horror movies. So this is a kind of movies we don't get from Norway so very often. That the main actor was good, is no surprise - and he is the actor in many other movies as well. But this is probably the movie i have liked him most. He plays a character that have many flaws, and that does not act like a hero. And the story is a bit twisted - and surprising. I saw it with a friend from Philippines and we both agree that this is one of the best thriller we have seen in 2011. So hurray for this Norwegians movie - and lets hope it will come more in the years that come in this quality.
52 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A masterpiece thriller
SoLiD sNaKe29 December 2011
This movie came as a big surprise to me. Aksel Hennie gives a stunning performance as Roger Brown,a company's head-hunter that seeks to recruit the best with his unique strategy of negotiating and "reading" people. Except that job Roger also steals very expensive paintings with his partners aid.Everything goes bad when he steals a painting from a former mercenary that he approached to recruit.

The movie has an incredible rhythm.Also very impressive and unforgettable scenes.The cast and the soundtrack are magnificent.Its a rock-solid story filled with deception and turnovers. The most stylish and modern thriller for 2011. Logically a U.S. version will follow.
38 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How's your Reputation?
David Ferguson7 May 2012
Greetings again from the darkness. Based on the novel by Jo Nesbo, this one quickly sets up the main character Roger Brown as someone we neither trust nor necessarily even like. He is a smooth talking recruiter who steals valuable artwork to (barely) support his luxurious lifestyle which includes a near-super model girlfriend and modern mansion.

The film is based in Norway and director Morten Tyldum seems to have a very wicked sense of humor as he really puts Roger (Aksel Hennie) through some things not even found in the worst fraternity or military hazing. While it can be classified as a very taut thriller, it is also a demented ride that would make the Coen Brothers proud. As a matter of fact, it would surprise me if this one doesn't get a U.S. remake very soon. The story and characters lend themselves very well to a star vehicle.

However, I don't wish to sell this version short. It is well done and entertaining in a devilish way. When Roger meets Clas Greve (Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau), the real fun begins. Many will recognize Coaster-Waldau from "Game of Thrones" and he proves to be a terrific adversary for Roger. Neither are what they seem, and both seem quite pleasant to everyone else. Roger's girlfriend Diana is played by the beautiful Synnove Macody Lund, and even she brings a nice element of doubt to the story. There is also a nice supporting turn from Julie Olgaard as Lotte.

The tone and twists remind me a bit of Blood Simple, but this one is even a bit more outrageous and things spin out of control for the characters. Much of the film is a spent in chase mode and that leads to some drama, thrills and chuckles. That's a pretty nice compliment for any movie.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An intellectual, overwhelming and incredible crime story from "Norway"
Ajit Tiwari29 November 2011
A headhunter works in a recruitment firm and also having penchant for precious works of art (Stealing and selling them). Unpredictably he engulfs himself in a twisted journey of the life which takes him to a farther length.

The script is very distant from the Hollywood clichés and has its own essence of storytelling and sense of humor. It will keep you engaged until the mystery is unfolded. Having watched so many thrillers like this, it still gives you a different experience with all the set up and moments of surprise.

Aksel Hennie(Roger) and Nicolai Coaster-Waldau(Clas Greve) are fantastic in their roles. Rest of the cast has done pure justice to their parts. All the characters are believable and developed wonderfully as the movie progresses.

It's an awesome thriller with great weave and turn with every element of a good cinema.

Highly Recommended 8/10
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fine Nordic crime thriller
Tomas_T21 March 2013
Headhunters, a less known Norwegian crime thriller that has a lot going for it. The film is packed with realistic action, entertainment and has a interesting story with non-mainstream characters, so what is there not to like?

Firstly the novel based script is compelling with a story revolving around Roger Brown (Aksel Hennie), a egoistic upper class snob who happens to be one of Norway's most accomplished headhunters. Not exactly easy to relate to main character, but things turn considerably more interesting when Roger's undercover career is revealed. In order to support his lavish life style, Roger resolves to art thievery which by chance puts him in path of his greatest peril, Clas Greve (Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau). Clas being a former mercenary distinguished in the field of intelligence gathering is looking to work for a surveillance company Pathfinder for which Roger is managing recruitment process. Without revealing too much of the story, from here on Roger and Clas are entangled in a high paced deathly duel where they try to outsmart each other with mortal consequences.

I liked Headhunters, it is a terrific example of skilled Nordic filmcraft at its best which combines good directing, credible acting, dark realism and intelligent story which all together make it overall a very enjoyable package. There were some script quirks and the pace of the film at times was breathtaking, but nothing major to gripe about.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Does this deserve the High marks it's been getting?
morrisjarr19 September 2012
I came to this film looking forward to it immensely and came away from it a tad disappointed, granted there are some genuinely original moments but not enough to warrant the star rating that this has achieved....The plot is majorly contrived and relies on far too many coincidences, and the ending which was telegraphed so early on in the film relies on so many variables coming right at the same time that you really have to suspend belief to a ridiculous degree. I don't know how closely the script is to the book, but I'd heard great things of Jo Nesbo now I'm not so sure. This will no doubt be re-made for people who are too lazy to read subtitles and I can't imagine that the re-imagining will help anything....I enjoy foreign language films as a rule but can't help but wondering if this movie would have so many favourable reviews if it was a standard Hollywood production
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Head and Shoulders
robinski345 June 2013
This is what I'm talking about. 'Headhunters' is a rippingly good skandi crime thriller directed by Morten Tyldum from a novel by Jo Nesbo. Aksel Hennie is the protagonist who gets in over his head when an art theft goes wrong, 'Game of Thrones's Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau, Synnøve Macody Lund and Eivind Sander provide the support in what is a highly enjoyable euro-thriller. Even though the cast is small, they are well used and the story rattles along at a pace that keeps the viewer involved at every turn. There are some satisfying developments that don't really qualify as twists, and there is nothing radical here, but it is done with style and panache, and Hennie's lead performance is so engaging that you will be happy to get dragged along for the ride. Another excellent example of why Scandinavian dramas are deservedly riding high.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A top-notch action-thriller
FilmPulse5 May 2012
Headhunters is the first in what I suspect will be a slew of Jo Nesbø film adaptations in the coming years and Morten Tyldum's cinematic rendering offers suspense, action and most notably intelligence, sometimes rare in the action-thriller genre. The film, based on the Edgar Award nominated Norwegian author's 2008 novel Hodejegerne (Headhunters), follows a highly successful corporate headhunter, who sidelines as an art thief, Roger Brown (Aksel Hennie) as he tries to obtain an extremely rare and valuable Peter Paul Rubens painting, lost since World War II, from former elite solider Clas Greve (Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau).

Roger Brown has a borderline Napoleon complex that he is well aware of judging by the numerous times he mentions his height, 1.68m. The fact that his wife Diana (Synnøve Macody Lund) is much taller than him and supposedly prefers a certain luxurious lifestyle, forces him, in his mind, to steal and sell valuable art pieces in order to buy his wife expensive gifts and a support their lavish lifestyle. The viewer quickly learns that all Diana wants in her life is a child, something Roger is hesitant to consider.

Diana has recently opened a new art gallery in Oslo and it is here that Roger meets, not only the perfect target for his current corporate recruitment in Clas Greve, but also the answers to his financial woes when Clas mentions to Diana that he possesses a long-thought to be lost Reubens painting. Roger sets out to break into Clas's apartment with the help of his sleazy criminal partner Ove (Eivind Sander), but Roger finds a lot more than the painting and soon finds out that Clas is a headhunter in his own way.

Ove's job is to disable security systems so Roger can infiltrate the building and obtain the targeted art pieces and Ove is also responsible for selling the stolen property. When Ove tries to retrieve the stolen Reubens from Roger's car things goes awry and Roger is suddenly thrust into a brutal game of cat and mouse. And by brutal, I mean Tyldum doesn't shy away from capturing the violence, neither the present violence nor the effects of said violence. In one scene, Tyldum presents what is probably the most uncomfortable and immensely painful head shaving sequence captured on film. The story also contains what has to be one of the greatest tests of trust and if you were to pass this test you should be forgiven for any and all past transgressions.

Though the film does suffer from plot holes, as do most films in the thriller genre, they don't seem to be as egregious as others of its ilk. Aksel Hennie gives a great performance as the insecure art thief and Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau does equally well as the ruthless hunter. Hollywood may have just found their newest fountain of secondhand ideas in 'Scandi-crime' adaptations, akin to the Japanese horror remakes of the early to mid 2000s, but Headhunters is a must-see, a tremendous and enjoyable addition to the action-thriller genre.

Kevin FilmPulse.net
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Darkly Comic and Edgy Thriller
Tom Gooderson-A'Court15 April 2012
Roger Brown (Aksel Hennie) is a top headhunter, working in Olso but he has a secret. He uses the information her gains from interviewing clients to break into their homes and steal expensive artwork which he then sells through back channels in Sweden. Brown thinks he has come across the heist of a lifetime when he learns that a long lost Rubens has been sitting in an Oslo apartment since the Second World War but he gets much more than he bargained for when it transpires that he picked the wrong target to mess with.

With the success of the likes of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Borgen and The Killing in recent years, it was only a matter of time before a Jo Nesbo novel was adapted for the big screen. I am currently reading a different Nesbo novel as I write this (though not at this very second) and am really enjoying it. This film captures the tone and style of Nesbo which will delight his hordes of fans. I wouldn't be surprised to see his Harry Hole series adapted in the near future.

The film is a true thriller which had me on the edge of my seat. The first half is mostly a tense heist type of story with the second half being mostly one huge chase with a few rest bites thrown in to give those sweaty palms a break. The story is complex and interesting and made the film feel longer to me that it actually was. This isn't a bad way however and I'd happily have watched for another half an hour. The film and its lead character are very clever and this should excite the audience and leave them thoroughly satisfied.

The acting from Hennie is superb. He shows great depth and cunning as well as despair and heartbreak. It's a career performance from him. Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau, best known as Jamie Lanninster from Game of Thrones to English speaking audiences is also excellent opposite Hennie. The two have a real duel in terms of the action and the acting. Coaster-Waldau is impossibly cool and suits his role to a tee. Every main character is given a fair amount of back story which really helps to give them their identity and drive.

Unsurprisingly a Hollywood remake is already in the works but I'd recommend seeing the original as I can't see how having Ryan Reynolds and Kiefer Sutherland or someone similar will improve the film. It's just an excuse for lazy people not to have to read and for Hollywood studios to make money without doing anything original.

This film is smart, witty and original and even has a love story at its centre. I can't recommend it highly enough. It is only the second Norwegian film I've seen, with Troll Hunter being the first, but if they're all as good as these two, I can't wait to watch my third.

www.attheback.blogspot.com
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Lost Opportunity, Warped Morality
Razor_20052 January 2013
The unsightly abomination, which we are supposed to endure as the protagonist, has an awfully low self-esteem; he is embarrassed of his size; he is inept to comply with his gorgeous wife, Diana; and consequently equivocal to her desire for having children. As the narrative hurtles impressively, he is seen copulating with another woman, merely to quench his conjugally dysfunctional concupiscent desires.

The interview wherein he talks about the importance of reputation is brilliant. But the initially promising set-up soon dissipates. We are supposed to root for this insecure, despicable weed that, despite being adulterous himself, gets in a moral rage when he stumbles upon his wife's infidelity. We are to cheer for this parasite that obdurately refuses to take its dying pal to hospital. Of course, Morten Tyldum expects us to embrace the "shades of grey", yet he gets moralistic with an utterly cheesy, saccharine sweet climax, ridiculously accentuated by Diana's pot-belly.

In a miserable attempt to evince his "breed", this fecal sausage disguised as an actor, not only threatens to sack Clas Greve (played effortlessly by Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau) but also render him unemployable. His persona as an intimidating corporate magnate, who can make or break careers at whim, is a giggle. It gets downright laughable when the director tries to pass this rickety, emasculated eyesore as a John Rambo and a suave, charming James Bond-archetype, who wrestles out of every peril laid out for him.

It doesn't help the fact that Aksel Hennie has neither the charisma nor the talent to play this character. How could someone so ineffectual, with the appeal of human excrement, be entrusted with this role: perhaps as an amulet to ward-off the evil eye? It's as baffling as to see a sophisticated beauty, Diana, feed on this coughed-up phlegm.
25 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Technically marvelous, narratively shallow
rzajac3 February 2012
Headhunters is visually and technically wonderful. But the story seemed, to me, to be a protracted adolescent escape fantasy played by grownups, with convolutions and complexity that sat like cold lard on my tongue.

It sort of reminds me of early Tintin comics, which were pretty much that; a rapid-fire litany of narrow escapes. I'm also sort of reminded of The Spanish Prisoner, which I didn't like for roughly the same reasons; complexity with no believable redemptive angle.

Speaking of which, there was a conspicuous absence of a true mythic dimension. I have to tread lightly here, as it's hard to justify this judgment call without spoilers. In a nutshell, we're supposed to believe that all our hero's bloody threads get tidied up neat and clean, and our hero is redeemed by love, and is able to return to pretty much his old life, except with his priorities arranged in a healthier way, and with a new commitment to fulfilling his wife's lifestyle expectations. But the whole exposition seemed very earthbound and tepid. Sorry, it just don't fly.

By way of comparison, I found Kill Bill did a better job of winning me over to the redemption of the blood-spattered hero. What does Kill Bill do better that Headhunters fails to do?
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thrill.. Thrill.. Thriller
Ajeesh Vijayan23 April 2016
Happened to see this Norwegian thriller couple of days ago and was very much impressed mainly because of the story, development, thrills and execution.

Headhunters is based on the novel written by Jo Nesbo.Roger which tells the story of a Recruiter in Norway. He lives a luxurious life and to maintain the same, he used to steal the paintings and is very professional in that. His life goes upside down when he tries to steal a painting from his wife's friend's house. There it starts the thriller with convincing twists and turns.

The major advantage of the movie is the story and screenplay with excellent performances of the antagonist and protagonist. The movie has its own moments and will give you definitely offers a treat to the thriller movie fans. An edge of the seat thriller. The background score did a crucial role in the whole one which made very interesting. All the supporting actors did a wonderful job to make this a nice one.

Go for it..!!! You wont feel bad after watching this..

My rating 8.1 on 10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A must-watch
templar7709914 August 2015
"Hodejegerne" or "Headunters" is a Norwegian film directed by Morten Tyldum who you might know for the last year's Oscar contender "The Imitation Game". Despite knowing the praise that this film received, I didn't know it would be this good.

I watched it yesterday and the characters are still in my head, specially the main one, Roger Brown, played by Aksel Hennie whose first film I saw was "Last Knights" and the difference in the acting is day from night. He is so good in this one, playing a insecure man who makes his money by stealing art paintings. On the other side we have the menacing Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau, the Jaime Lannister of Game of Thrones who is probably becoming one of my favourite performers in the industry. He commits himself to any role and he is quite amazing. He has the looks and the acting chops and I believe we'll see more of him in the future. I must also make a nod to the two feminine characters in this one : Diana Brown, Roger's wife, played by Synnøve Macody Lund, who is surprisingly good, one of that kind of actress who deserves a place in the spotlight and Lotte, played by Julie R. Ølgaard, another actress who is just amazing.

"Headhunters" is certainly the proof that foreign films can be brilliant! An American remake is on the plans but I'm sure it won't surpass the original. This one is clearly overlooked.

Watch it!
Quite Good
gavin694216 December 2014
An accomplished headhunter risks everything to obtain a valuable painting owned by a former mercenary.

Following "Buddy", viewers might not have expected too much from Morten Tyldum. But he quickly came into his own and created this, a film that could be considered his masterpiece. That is, except for the fact he continued to make great films. In almost no time at all, he went fro ma low budget independent to a top Oscar contender. Well played.

Roger Ebert praised the movie as "an argument for the kinds of thrillers I miss. It entertains with story elements, in which the scares evolve from human behavior... Unlike too many thrillers that depend on stunts, special effects and the Queasy-Cam, this one devises a plot where it matters what happens. It's not all kinetic energy." This may be a slam on films such as the "Bourne" series. And, indeed, Ebert is right; what good is a thriller if the thrills mean nothing?
Can't put it down
Cinish Narayanan25 September 2013
This one added another feather to my amazon prime membership but you are not going to hit the pause button on this roller coaster ride.

Movie starts off in a slow interesting pace with a specific storyline , unique incidents. Suddenly the movie hits the next level , the roller coaster sets rolling , the sleekness turns gory but the movie remains strong all through.

If you have a friend who likes to make smart predictions while watching thrillers, you need to take him to this one. You will enjoy his misses.

The movie is a thriller but travels through various dimensions making it even more difficult to predict anything at all that is going to happen next.A lot many interesting situations , will keep you riveted to your seat.
Headhunters
lasttimeisaw7 March 2013
A slick Norwegian thriller from director Morten Tyldum, HEADHUNTERS is a thoroughly gripping and spanking high-octane cat-mouse game (magnificent suspense enhancer), which is goodly on a par with any of its qualified Hollywood counterparts (a US remake is already on the process).

An obnoxiously cocksure premise always forebodes something ominous is looming in the air, a vertically challenged headhunter (the same height as mine, I feel so blessed I'm not living in Scandinavian region) whose clandestine identity is a painting thieve, lives an (almost) perfect life, the ostensible glitch is the reluctance to have a baby with his tall and sultry wife (who is a gallery owner), so what is the purpose to find a towering wife if he doesn't want any offspring to offset his genetic shortcoming? The prompt reason is fertility malfunction, which actually is not the case at all. In fact, a probable financial quandary is the latent menace which will overturn his plush lifestyle so when an opportunity arrives unwittingly, he decides to make his final job, which could set him free of his past and guarantee an opulent future, against an intimidating alpha-male (ex marine and tracking expert), then of course things will slide down to a nightmare he has never imagined, after the travails of narrow escapes from death, remarkably he is able to shift from the victim to a plotter and eventually defeats his enemy, gets away with the law and revitalize his relationship with his wife, an overtly optimistic happy-ending.

The film consistently registers the fast-paced rhythm running around an over-manipulated plot, including many shock-value stunts which craftily exerted (an unexpected come-back- from-the-dead upset, the cesspit hiding, and the gruesome aftermath of a police vehicle careening off the cliff, etc.), but in order to pull off a thorny come-clean turnabout, if giving a considerable amount of time to muse on after the viewing, many plot-holes will betray (not everything can be pigeonholed as a fluke in the spiderweb of meticulous criminal activities), and unexplained loopholes are glaring enough to an extent which would categorically diminish the frisson which one could apprehend first-hand.

Leading man Aksel Hennie delivers a dynamic momentum in his physically-racked bullet- avoiding incubus, and confidently evokes an anti-hero aura which would otherwise be running against the audience's conscience. The Hollywood-struggling Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau (from GAME OF THRONES series and Jessica Chastain-vehicled horror feature MAMA 2013) is ill-starred as the villain, largely sidelined except his virile extravaganza (the final face-off is a major let-down). Two female characters are ambivalently written here, one is to keep the scheme as misty as possible and another is simply garnished as an additional action gadget to the main course.

So, although the film may feel tainted after a second viewing (which I may politely bypass), there is some genuine novelty and sufficient workmanship in the making, and inasmuch as there are two things we cannot defy, one is the gravity and another is a writer's block, let's overlook the elephant in the room and cherish an adrenalin-driven adventure.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Headhunters is a simple tale that whips about like a snake on coke.
TheSquiss21 September 2012
The latest gem from the Scandinavian treasure trove, Headhunters (or Jo Nesbo's Headhunters if you want the clunky title some are billing it as) is as valuable an addition to the trove as The Girl… trilogy and the myriad televisual offerings Wallander, The Killing, Borgen, The Bridge… It's close to being excellent, is exciting, flows rapidly and is utterly entertaining and destined for a stateside reimagining.

The inevitable American remake (why???) is to be helmed by Sacha Gervasi, whose only previous outing as director was the wonderful Spinal Tap-esque documentary, Anvil: The Story of Anvil, though he has two very exciting prospects in post-production in Hitchcock and My Dinner With Herve.

There is every possibility a director of his ability can produce a crowd pleasing, blockbusting masterpiece that doesn't ostracize the devotees of the original, but for every Insomnia (adapted from the Swedish Insomnia), there's a Let Me In (Let the Right One In) AND a Quarantine (REC). It's far too early to call it but I'm wary. Fortunately, regardless of what he produces, it cannot diminish the impact or quality of the original. Just don't watch it and judge Morten Tyldum's original by it.

Headhunters is a simple tale that whips about like a snake on coke. What should be a straightforward and, but for an early error of judgment from the protagonist, short event in his life turns into a bloody, violent farcical series of events from which no-one is guaranteed to emerge unscathed or even alive.

Roger Brown is a seriously powerful headhunter in Norway with a fantastic reputation, a beautiful wife with very expensive tastes and a mistress with her own issues. To support his extravagant lifestyle, he has a sideline career as an art thief, replacing originals with forgeries. One fine, unremarkable day a new client enters his life and so begins the end… Aksel Hennie (as Brown) is wonderfully colourful as a man drowning in a quagmire of his own making. There's no stereotypical performance here, rather an intriguing portrayal of a desperate man reacting instinctively and tragically to the missiles of his crumbling world. And though Hennie stands out, he is just one of an outstanding cast. Nikolai Coaster-Waldau as his perceived nemesis is charmingly sinister, Synnøve Macody Lund as Brown's wife gradually unfurls her character into a person neither we nor Brown thought possible and Julie R. Ølgaard is a mistress that is far more than a giggly girl on an arm.

Tyldum has clearly taken the time to surround himself with an accomplished cast that fulfills the potential of his film and ignites the combustible screenplay so it fizzes along to a mesmerizing, jaw-droppingly good explosion that starts in the second act and doesn't end until the fat lady lies bleeding as her final notes fade.

It's still showing in a few cinemas, having had a very limited release, but you're most likely to find it as a download. Just don't let anyone tell you anything more about it and don't, please, wait for the remake.