IMDb > Avalon High (2010) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Avalon High

Avalon High (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Cute Disney channel movie with some romance and action.

Author: msrich393 from United States
24 December 2010

I don't really watch Disney channel movies anymore but I had to watch this movie because I'm a big fan of the book.

There are a LOT of changes in the plot but I think the Disney channel transformed the story into something that most people can enjoy. The film was a little boring to me at some parts, and the plot got forced at one point.

I think if you know about King Arthur legendary or you've read the book Avalon High (by Meg Cabot) than you can understand everything and enjoy it.

The acting wasn't so bad. I think Brittany Robertson was great, she really carried the movie. She had great chemistry with Gregg Sulkin and the friendship between her and Miles (played by Joey Pollari) was very convincing.

For a Disney channel movie I think it was actually pretty good, perfect for a Netflix watch.

I'd give it 5 out of ten stars.

Don't be so quick to judge ...

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
6 October 2016

This is not your average review and this is not your average movie.

Imagine a world when someone not familiar with western culture stumbles onto a random Harry Potter movie? Or a Matrix entry? Do you think with no prior point of reference they would "get" the film as intended? My point is this -- I am a big fan of the Arthur legend and have read a lot about it, both fiction and non-fiction. I am one of several million people (approximately) who finds the core story moving and compelling and almost visceral.

This movie, which even a casual observer will see does not follow the "usual" Disney formula, and is almost entirely plot-driven, and was clearly written by a Arthur buff. And if you are an Arthur buff when you see it, it will have much more impact than the reviews here would indicate.

So, that said, this is a solid film and a young Britt Robertson has more than enough charm to keep things moving to the conclusion.

For those intrigued by the POV expressed in this review and want more, I suggest Excalibur (1981) for film buffs and "The Forever King" by Molly Cochrane for readers.

It will be well worth the effort.

Author: Momorocks from Canada
13 December 2010

I happen to be a huge Meg Cabot fan, and i loved the book. i was of course totally disappointed. they changed the whole plot to make it into some weird girl power rubbish.characters names, attitudes, insanely important themes all missing. they introduced like 3 new people, changed ELLIE'S name, changed the story's antagonist,and many other things. the acting was fine though, and possibly, had they not massacred Meg Cabot's amazing book, i would not have hated it. unfortunately, that is not the case. They also had nothing to do with the legend, thanks to the changes. hopefully, one day, Disney channel will stop screwing up my favourite things.

Camelot 101

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
19 November 2010

What a strange film to come from the Magic Kingdom about the mythical and legendary King Arthur and his Knights Of The Round Table and his court at Camelot. Imagine going to a school where apparently the only thing you study are the Arthurian legends. Oh and of course play football. If this was a basketball school they could have played the one that Zac Efron and Corbin Bleu graduated from.

Brittany Robertson is a new transfer student to Avalon High School a school where the usual typical kids are going, the jocks, the nerds, the grade grubbers, et al. She gets into her class of Camelot 101 and a strange thing seems to be happening. Gregg Sulkin has a girlfriend named Jen played by Molly Quinn who is cheating on him with his friend Lance played by Christopher Tavarez. All too familiar with the kids studying up on the Arthurian stories.

I will say this there is an interesting twist in the plot, but if you do take a look at the names of all the principal characters in the cast list you will figure out what the twist to come is.

One thing I could not figure out is why British born Gregg Sulkin who kept his accent when he was teenage werewolf on Wizards Of Waverly Place tried so hard to lose it here. Especially with the nature of the story line.

A nice cast makes a really incredible story bearable viewing.

Surprisingly good Disney movie :)

Author: morganmichel1234 from South Africa
15 July 2011

ever since High School Musical came out on Disney Channel, Disney has been trying for many years to make anything close to it. but i have to say, this movie was surprisingly good compared to what has been attempted before. other movies have been no more than hectic clichés and very sad, cheesy story lines. This one, not only being a very different story line, did not contain cheesy or bad acting or story line. i thoroughly enjoyed this one and although it didn't come close to HSM, it was very well done :) a message to other reviewers, please, if you don't like a movie, by all means, share your thoughts and feelings but in a civilized way. sometimes some of you can be to harsh. its not wrong to dislike something, but just try be a little more polite when stating what is wrong with it :) thanks :)

Book = 10/10, Movie = 0/10

Author: reb5239 from United States
24 May 2012

As many others have said, this movie is an atrocious adaptation of the Meg Cabot book by the same title. The worst part is, if you love the book, the movie seems to be following the same general plot. I was really impressed with Disney's dedication to the original book, with a few additional characters, until the last 15 minutes.

I won't say why since many other reviews have done so, but if you love the book please save yourself from the heartbreak of watching Disney destroy this novel. If you haven't read the book, I'd suggest giving it a chance. It's an excellent teen novel for fantasy lovers with a true Arthurian twist!

WTF was this?

Author: jessica_elgersma from United States
26 November 2011

The only reason this movie deserves 3 stars is because it is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. It wasn't until about halfway through that i figured out it was not, in fact, a parody of Disney channel movies. However, I still expected a scene at the end where the purple haze clears to reveal the aging stoners that must have written the script of this mess.

Ah, the script. The lines were positively idiotic. Particularly the lines given to Allie's parents and Marco. This movie was not only uncreative, but the ending made no sense at all. So Allie is King Arthur. Huh? So then what's up with Jen and Lance. And what does that make Will? And it would have made a lot more sense for Marco to just be bad. Why couldn't they just have done that?

The acting was awful. But then I doubt that even good actors would have been able to make a script like that work. The characters were trite and one-dimensional, especially because the 'surprise' plot twists only made sense to the addicts who wrote them. The costumes were freakishly cheap and fake-looking, and Will wore more makeup than Allie. Merlin's robes at the end were hilarious. They looked like something a broke World Of Warcraft addict made out of curtains.

In summary: You should watch this on Netflix with a ton of food if you're stoned out of your head because that is the only way you're gonna enjoy this piece of crap.

Good Family Fun!

Author: simba218 from United States
12 November 2010

Just saw the movie on Disney Channel - I have been looking forward to seeing it since I heard about it - I have always been interested in King Arther and the Knights. This move had some twists and turns that are SO unexpected that it totally takes you off balance. The cast works well together and the writing is fabulous! As an adult seeing this movie, I would say that any child over the age of 10 would be able to handle it. There is violence in the movie (It IS about King Arther after all!) but not overly much. It was refreshing to see a movie that the family can see together without worrying what the kids will see/hear that would not be good for them! The only thing I can say with out spoiling it for everyone is: Do not trust what you think about anyone or anything you see in the movie! Sit back, hold the edge of your seat and enjoy!

It was good, but it could've been a lot better.

Author: starxxgirl from Union City, California
29 December 2010

I've read the book and I just saw the movie and pretty much the only character they got right were Jen and Lance. Mr. Moore was supposed to be Merlin, Marco was supposed to be Mordrid (I don't even know was he's supposed to be in the movie) Ellie was supposed to be The Lady of the Lake (no one had that part in the movie), Will was supposed to be King Arthur and there was no Miles. The mismatch of the characters almost completely destroyed the movie for me. It was a good movie, but if they had just gotten the characters right, it would have been a LOT better. I don't see why when a book turns into a movie, a LOT of things have to change, it usually ruins the movie.

Yes King Arthur CAN be a girl.... when Arthur is a sidekick. Like she is, here.

Author: huh_oh_i_c from Earth, Solar system
7 November 2017

What really bothered me about this movie is the message it sends.... to girls.

This is an adaptation, I mean: a super dumbed down version of the 'Arthur and the round table'-story for kids....apparently aged four to nine years old. Meg Cabot is the writer, but in doing this, she basically leeches off the original, so, that's not very creative nor original.

Now, all critical reviews that go on and on about how the movie is worse because it changes the plot and characters (there are still some racists so, so UPSET that Lancelot is black... which is kind of funny) are not wrong, but they miss the BIG change in message that is brought about by these changes.

At the end, in a mansplained plot twist, we find out that Allie, not Will, is Arthur, and that she eehm ... SAVES the world and all that. You're probably thinking: but the girl is the hero, how is that man-splaining? Well that is so, because Allie saving the world and being the true hero is NOT the most important thing in the movie. Nope, the most important thing is that WILL can win the "Big Game"!!! Yup. Everything Allie, the girl does, is IN SERVICE to her boyfriend winning the game! That is kinda sexist. Wait, that is VERY sexist. So, you see:

yes, Arthur CAN be a girl, because that girl is SUBORDINATE, as per usual, to male interests: winning a football game. (This is the same as making black people udges, presidents or doctors in film and on TV: it's meaningless because in those movies they are minor characters). She can't ever be a hero in a football game, that world is as closed to her as driving is to Saudi women. Even MORE closed, actually, in 2017. Everyone, including Lance and Jennifer, are putting their happiness aside, so Will can win the game. He's a nice guy, but he's a NON-character ultimately. He's not Merlin, not Mordred, not any sort of knight, he's nothing and no one, so why is HE MORE important han Allie, he gets the Big Movie Finale Allies happiness and recognition, who is King Arthur after all, are ultimately deemed less important than "the game".

So, let's analyze how this absolute disaster came about. It started with the writers wanting to make Cabots story their own. They wanted Ellie, not Will to b e Arthur, so they changed her name to Allie because it starts with an "A". They forgot about the Lancelot/Guinivere thing, though. Then they added some more "plot twists" like changing the Mordred character, adding the Merlin character, etc. And ipso presto, here you have this absolute stinker. Oh well.

Cabot's story is by no means flawless, but it kind of made sense. She erased all female characters but Allie: Morgana Le Fey, Lady of the Lake, Niniane who took the powers of Merlin. Also missing: Morgause, Sir Gawains mother? Lady of Shallott, Elaine? Since her mother and Jennifer have very few lines, Allie is in practicality, the ONLY female character, the rest is ALL males. This is weird. In fact, its not only weird. It is SHAMEFULL.