IMDb > Little Red Wagon (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Little Red Wagon More at IMDbPro »

The Message More than the Medium

Author: lizroy51 from Parksville, BC Canada
19 January 2013

My husband and I watched this docu-drama the other night and certainly we were moved to tears at times, to tenderness, admiration for the real-life Zach who has made it his life's work to end homelessness and judging by determination and compassion, he might just do that.

I worried that the parallel story of the mother and child spiralling downward in society would detract from Zach's but it didn't. Certainly it was painful to witness but there's the object lesson that it could happen to any normal, seemingly comfortable middle-class family, that it could happen to one's neighbour or friend and would we step in to help?

The conflicts within Zach's family were real and sibling rivalry sometimes takes precedence even over a giant philanthropic project like his. From my initial perspective Zach's sister was a royal pain in the butt, self-centred and more childish than her little brother whose vision was more like Mother Theresa and personality more like one of heaven's angels. But over time I began to see where she was coming from and forced my judgement to the background.

The dialogue within the family especially with the mother was amazing and that's when you step outside the action and think, 'wow that screenwriter did a really great job!' Other than that you are with Zach all the way and with his wonderfully supportive mother.

I could say that it doesn't matter how this was directed or acted, that the true story and the message was the thing but truly if it weren't for such great acting by the three main characters, the directing and natural, emotive dialogue, the message would have difficulty getting through.

But the message, oh the message... That this amazing young human being can show the way for all of us, show us that we are all connected, that everyone's 'fall' matters and this done without any didactic intent is so impressive. We did not feel shamed but inspired. (Though I do hope that those who are hiding their billions in off-shore accounts might get the hint and like Zach, roll up their sleeves and pitch in...) So the generated feelings (of inspiration not shame) represents a plus for the production. You never get the sense someone was up there in a pulpit preaching to the masses. Instead there was Zach and his all-too-human family taking one step at a time to make a difference one heart at a time.

His life teaches us that it's not easy, there's not always instant rewards but it's the doing, like the journey, that is more gratifying than the actual end result/destination.

Zach you are my forever hero!

One of the best Inspirational movies you will ever see!!!

Author: sweetfrangi from Australia
27 April 2014

This movie, Little Red Wagon, was such a joy to watch! I watched it with my family, and we were left so touched by it! Its about a little boy, who discovered his true calling in life, to help the homeless in America. Whats even more inspiring, is that it is based on a very real and true story, that leaves you so inspired and filled with hope to see beyond what you can see in this world. The characters were amazing, and did such an excellent job, couldn't ask for me. This movie almost brought me to tears, it is just by far one of the best movies I have ever seen!! I enjoyed it so so so much, loved it, and would highly recommend it to anyone of any age to watch it! Trust me, it leaves you so inspired, and gives you hope that you can do anything if you believe!!!

Inspiring and encouraging movie

Author: mckeesbird from Tennessee, USA
18 July 2015

Watch this movie. Especially if you've gotten a bit world weary and jaded about our fellow humans. Inspiring, uplifting, and encouraging this film follows the true life story of a little boy who ups and takes some serious action to help the survivors of Hurricane Charley in Florida 2004. This little fellow's dedication and compassion for other people, especially children, is something to behold and I'll be thinking about it for a long time to come. Also, there is a subplot involving a young woman and her son that well illustrated the issues homeless families face. A family film I highly recommend parents watch with their children as it has a great message; it shows how one caring heart, no matter how small, can make a huge difference in the lives of others.