IMDb > Rubber (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rubber

Rubber More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Rubber (Quick Review) - 3 Stars

Author: Austin Takahashi from Philippines
15 June 2012

Rising from the dirt of the desert, we see Robert. He, or it, is a tire. We are not quite sure where Robert is headed and what he wants as he strolls through desolate and barren lands. Our view of Robert as an innocent and lost tire completely changes when he bumps into a bunny, which he blows up. (A bunny!) How does Robert do it? Through his supernatural telekinetic powers. Of course. I'm pretty sure Robert is the most evil and violent tire in the history of the movies.

When watched as it is, "Rubber" is basically a horror comedy about a killer tire on the loose. Look closer, and it's an 82-minute wink to Hollywood and its appalling habit of repeatedly abusing the worn-out outlines and formulas that make up most of the movies today. I think writer and director Quentin Dupieux is on to something here. 2011 will showcase 27 sequels. One of them will mark the return of Alvin and those darn chipmunks, which I hope would one day bump into evil and violent Robert.

Official review here: http://localmoviereview.com/rubber-quick-review/

Refreshing... but a little sour.

Author: aloysius_predato from United States
23 April 2012

A lot of questions can be raised by this film; they all have the same answer... no reason. Why does the girl leave her motel room door open while taking a shower with the door open behind a sheer curtain? No reason. Why is the tire's shower curtain not opaque? No reason. This movie puts a disclaimer on the violation of any conventions, does what it wants and knows what it is from the beginning, daring anyone to question it. So, what else can we say about it? It is the pot calling itself black. Believe me, as you browse the shelves at Family Video or the online archives, you could do much worse that 'Rubber' (and I have... numerous times). In the end though, there's no real redeeming value. So why watch it? Still, no reason.

It's a tyre doing stuff

Author: thislsSPARTA from Manchester, England
29 March 2012

I didn't know if the title of the movie was to be taken literally or if it was a metaphor for the plot. Indeed the movie was about an actual tyre waking up and doing stuff, and this made me so happy! It's very much like that car Herbie in the old days, only with a f*cked up, evil twist and weird humour inserted.

I loved the part where the tyre rolled around. Watching it discover new things was also nice. Other than that the main story could've been better, I thought the tyre was gonna do more normal stuff,--- and not blow peoples heads off--- things like going to the movies or discovering the city or go to the zoo. Meh...

Erasure

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
20 September 2011

I have a hard time with films like this. On the one hand, it explicitly deals with concepts that attract me. It is very clever and well enough put together.

But there is balance between art meant to affect you and essays about the process. Nearly all films are a mix if the two — what I call 'folds.' I like these because I think many of them work to drive the film deeper into my mind. But what if they don't? What if all the elements are there, but they are not assembled for effect, but to attract rubberneckers to a prancing contest? It just seems like I am watching a precocious adolescent French student.

And gosh, this has the brave Roxane Mesquida in a role where clearly she is lost.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.

Inspired and irritating, sweet and disappointing, strange and flawed but hard to forget

Author: Bloodwank from United Kingdom
20 September 2011

There are plenty of ideas out there, some of them should be turned into films and some of those do, and some of them should stay ideas alone but still get turned into films. Thats the case with Rubber, an inspired concept with an interesting twist that burns out on pretentious japes and a misbegotten sense of superiority. Its a film about a tyre, a tyre called Robert. Robert comes alive and kills things with his mind. He rolls around, makes heads explode with mind power and falls in love. But Rubber is also a film about a film, this film about a tyre called Robert, who comes alive, etc. This film is viewed through binoculars, out in the desert by a disparate collection of cinephiles. Its an interesting development, the viewer and the film coexistent in the same cinematic world, and Rubber develops things further, having the film dependent upon the viewer. Unfortunately writer/director Quentin Dupieux has neither the appropriate insane sensibility nor the smarts to handle a mutant b movie/meta-cinematic jape, and the film ends up a little weak. There's good material here, but only really enough for a short, even at the trim runtime of some 75 minutes Rubber drags. And worse than that it insults, there's an opportunity in its notion of the relationship between viewer and movie for great uplift and charm but instead the viewer is treated as interruptor, as cynic and spoiler. In some cases its not an unfair insight, but it comes across as nothing more than film student posture, somewhat annoying. Its a shame as the central image of tyre on a mission is engaging, there are a few nifty head explosions and many nicely done after the fact corpses, there are some imaginative scenes and some pretty amusing ones, but things are repetitive and there's little momentum. The game performances come across as a little wasted as well, Stephen Spinella holds things together beautifully as the oddball sheriff at the heart of affairs, cheerfully unhinged and smiley, Wings Hauser is solid as an old timer with some smarts up his sleeve and Roxanne Mesquida cuts a compelling figure as the object of Robert's affections, lighting the screen with her stunning looks (though she is kinda embarrassing at the end when she talks). But for all this I can't bring myself to flunk the film. Openly flaunting weirdness and difference, out to divide and even annoy its a thing of laudable ambition even though ultimately it isn't that great. I was annoyed to be sure, but I was never really bored, it had me thinking, questioning and laughing and even mildly cheering at times. Its a tricky call, but I'd say this is worth investigating if it interests as it may just grab you and if it doesn't it'll surely have you fuming, and any film that can really make you fume is something of an achievement in itself. A cautionary 5/10 I think

Possibly My Favorite Film of the Year

Author: gavin6942 from United States
18 August 2011

When Robert, a tire, discovers his destructive telepathic powers, he soon sets his sights on a desert town; in particular, a mysterious woman becomes his obsession.

The film opens with some surreal imagery, some utter nonsense, and then the lines that explain everything you will see for the next hour: the "no reason" speech. Why do things happen in movies? As they say, sometimes for no reason (Why is ET brown?) This film takes that principle to the next level.

With a tire being the main character, not many actors get enough screen time to really develop their roles. I would have liked to see more of Haley Ramm. I did not know her, despite her lengthy resume (she was young Jean Grey, for example)... I would like to see her in more things, get more starring roles. Perhaps in "Red State"?

Erased From Memory

Author: HerrDoktorMabuse from SFBayArea
7 August 2011

Pretentious bilge. Turned it off after 5 minutes. This is what happens when one spends too much time in film school. I know a kid at Chapman. I'll hold this up as a cautionary lesson. Far better to make infomercials for bogus MLM products than anything like this. Since IMDb requires a minimum of ten lines for a review I'll just pad this out until I reach the minimum. There's no cause to read any further. I am not wasting you're time. IMDb is. I have nothing more to say, which is more than I can say for the people who made this movie. But still I can wonder who is worse? The creators, or the financial backers who blew a wad on this tripe, when they could have been putting money into Habitat for Humanity, the Malibu 4H Club, or other worthier causes. 10 lines. Hooray!

Different For The Sake Of Just Being Different

Author: shark-43 from L.A. CA
26 July 2011

RUBBER sounds much more interesting then it really is. Like many comments here, I agree that I expected to like it. Film is a great medium to just say "Screw it - let's shake things up." But aside from the tire being able to destroy things, there is nothing that unique about the movie. And the opening - which hits you over the head to set up the "no reason" theme of the script - just does not work. The actor is not very good who delivers his monologue to the camera and also - some of the examples he uses of other famous movies that have things happen for "no reason" fails miserably with the Pianist - he asks "why does he hide?" "No reason." Uh - no. Sorry. he's hiding from the Nazis who want to kill him. That is a damn good reason to hide. The film is well shot but that's about it. The concept, the script, it's all a mess. I think this French director had too many long lunches with too many glasses of wine as he conceived this. Maybe you do need to be drunk to like this. But I sure didn't.

Has "Cult Classic" written all over it.

Author: Prolox from Canada
25 June 2011

In this overly silly film, with it's odd plot, twists & turns is bound to be a cult classic some day. In it, a killer tire named Robert leaves his desert home & runs over pop cans & water bottles & then makes beer bottles & rabbits explode using his telekinetic powers. When he tires (No pun intended) of this, he hits a small town where he spies on girls taking showers, watches TV in a motel, takes a swim, takes a shower & then causes peoples heads to explode all the while being watched by a starving audience in the desert, who view his life through a pair of binoculars. Sounds weird huh? & how is that for a plot? Highly original, but at the same time down right too weird to be funny, RUBBER contains no scares in order for it to be classified as a horror film. But how many films can you name where the villain is a killer tire? RUBBER has managed to make a name for itself for such a low budget production. Fans have been talking on the internet about it's weird plot, so I myself just had to see it & while I find the film has a weird energy to it, I thought it was down right horrible, still it was so weird that I couldn't help but be taken along for the ride. Some of the acting is uneven, but the direction is surprisingly good & those looking for a totally weird movie to sit & watch need not look any further than this, love it or hate it, RUBBER is a film you will never forget & every time you look at a tire, you'll think of this film, like I said, it's terrible, but in a good way, it's enjoyable & not so bad you can't stomach it. Definitely not for everyone, but if you're a fan of the truly outrageous, I say rent this baby now, hit play, sit down & enjoy the weird mayhem.

*** stars

Killer tyres with a twist?

Author: antbohan from United Kingdom
30 April 2011

A good old fashioned Troma-esque horror, packed full of cheap gags, over the top comedy violence and a big dollop of t&a - these were my expectations for Quentin Depieux's "Rubber" a movie about a killer tyre named Robert roaming the desert blowing off human heads with its telekinetic powers. I mean what other possible expectations are there to be had with a synopsis like that? But how wrong was I? From the very first frame I could see this was not going to be the schlock horror exploitation flick that I had envisioned, instead I was presented with a movie that is as smart and witty as anything from the genre that I have seen in quite some time, featuring excellent performances from the principle actors (where did Quentin find that tyre?) and some beautiful cinematography that almost has the movie bordering more on art house than grind house! On the flip-side it does suffer with pacing problems at times and the long periods of no dialogue tend to drag a little but clocking in at a meagre 85 minutes this can be easily overlooked. For anyone looking for something a little bit different then I would definitely recommend Rubber, it probably is the best killer tyre movie you are likely to ever see!