IMDb > Rubber (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rubber

Rubber More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Terrible Terrible Film

Author: minersarmsworkington from United Kingdom
12 September 2012

Nothing happens! This is the worst spent 76 minutes of my entire life. I have specially created an IMDb account to warn potential viewers of how bad this film is, which is if you hadn't guessed, ABSOLUTE DOG POOPERY. There is no 'artistic' merit to it and honestly words can't describe how bad this film really is. I'd imagine that this is the sort of crap that university students would make as a class project. There is only a certain amount of times that you can watch a tyre apparently use telepathic powers blow up peoples heads. If you're after a film that is that bad its class then my advice is go for Piranha 3DD.I can not stress strongly enough how much you should reconsider if you're even considering watching this film! I would have give this a 0/10 if possible.

Pretentious and cynical

Author: chuchoter
19 June 2011

This struck me as a film people were pained to sit through, but say they enjoyed to make themselves look cool. Outside of some nice camera-work and a good soundtrack, this was an hour and a half of pointless,cynical faffing around that would have done better as a short film.

The premise of Rubber is interesting, but does not carry the whole film. There are only so many times I can watch a tire roll around from different angles and explode heads, after which point it becomes excessive, gory and just plain boring. Films of course should convey a message, but they are at their heart entertainment. If you can't engage your audience (why are we watching a film based on no reason?) and we have no characters to become invested in, the film isn't good.

If we take Rubber as a discussion of Hollywood movies and mass media in general, how they are mindless, violent for no reason and feed on their audiences, continuing as long someone is watching (reality TV/blockbusters) and as time goes on becomes destructive and inane, that is an incredibly interesting topic to deal with and thats the worst part. Rubber could have been an incredibly interesting film, but instead it relied on poor acting, poor dialogue and constantly shoving metaphor and absurdity in our face. There is no subtlety at all. We are constantly told the film is pointless, not real etc etc. So why are we watching? The film hates movies, hates its audience which it poisons for being interested. Its so cynical you are left wondering, if cinema is so bad, instead of complaining about it, why don't they just make a good film?

If you hate good movies, avoid at all costs.

Author: SomethingPart2 from United States
16 July 2011

This movie has been getting a lot of really bad backlash and I really can't understand why, other than the people watching it are exactly the people who should not be. This film is entirely original, technically impressive, funny, amazingly shot, and just long enough to not overstay it's welcome. A lot of focus of reviewers relies too much on the fact that this is basically a movie about a tire that comes to life and starts to blow stuff up with it's mind. It's a lot more than that. This is more along the lines of Synecdoche, New York. It's very meta as we're introduced to a group of people in a desert that are watching the movie unfold with binoculars. They ask a lot of stupid questions and try to figure out what's going on until they're poisoned to death leaving one "audience member" alive to watch the rest of the film. All of the actors know they're actors and it just gets weirder from there. We watch "Robert" the tire slowly discover his power and what he's capable of starting with a plastic bottle and then going on a full on murdering spree after seeing something that makes him want to destroy humanity. There'a lot more going on here and it really is a lot of fun to watch. The shots look amazing, the music is great and the filmmakers even make it so you can understand what the tire is thinking and where it's coming from in the decisions it makes. It's ridiculous in all the right ways. If you're a fan of off center films that say a lot more than they seem you could watch a lot worse than Rubber. A hell of a lot. If you hate it, maybe you should wait for Scream 4 because bull crap is probably more up your alley. It's not for everyone but it certainly needs to be seen more than it is and it deserves more credit than it's getting.

Why is this such a great film?

Author: George McGilvray from United Kingdom
30 May 2015

No reason.

Why do people hate this film? No reason.

Why do people love this film? No reason.

Why did they make this film? No reason.

Why did we all watch this film? No reason.

Why do we want to watch this film again? No reason.

Why haven't they make a sequel? No reason.

Why would we watch that sequel if it was made? No reason.

Why is the tyre called Robert? Watch until the very end of the film to find out...

Surrealist, absurdist, comedic horror

Author: CorbanNoah from United States
20 April 2014

After watching some MST3K, I was looking on Netflix for some non-riffed bad horror movies. "Rubber" was suggested, and the plot looked monumentally goofy, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm glad I did.

The movie is rather artsy and surreal, meaning that it's definitely not for everyone. The whole concept of the movie is essentially, "This is all BS, so deal with it." There are many moments that intentionally make no sense whatsoever to reinforce this point. Even more so, there are breaks in the fourth wall and frequent addresses to an on-camera "audience".

While the movie was a bit slow in places, I found it quite hilarious. The movie assumes the audience is intelligent, and as a result, it doesn't jump out and beat you over the head with its humor. Some of the humor is very subtle. (I almost want to watch it again, simply because I'm sure I missed things.) If you sit back, pay attention, and just roll with it (pun intended), it is quite entertaining. If you're looking for brain-numbing humor or a movie to scare your pants off, this movie is not for you.

Good idea, but too self-aware to be great

Author: D. Ceased from United States
21 May 2013

This movie starts off with a monologue about movies and the things in the movies that happen, or in some cases don't happen, for no particular reason. We are then "introduced" to the audience, representing the viewer. They start looking through the desert with binoculars, until a tire pops up and starts rolling. It blows up a bunny, and we learn that this tire has the ability to blow up stuff using psychokinetic powers. It falls in love with a girl, and follows her into a hotel. It starts killing off people at the hotel. "Police" (although not really police) chase it down, until it stops at a small house. They corner it, as it's watching racing, and devise a trap for it. They rig a mannequin with dynamite, while the lady from earlier reads off lines. The tire blows it up, but doesn't die. The "sheriff" goes in with a shotgun, "kills" the tire; however, the tire comes out as a tricycle. It kills the sheriff and rolls off, a gang of tires following it as it reaches Hollywood.

This would be a pretty good plot for a movie, but the problem with the movie comes with little segments of the audience. The movie gets too self aware during these parts, as well as some other parts during the main story arch, that only serve to please the person making it, and pretentious movie snobs. It takes the viewer out of what is happening, reassuring them that, yes they are watching a movie, and no they do not have any interaction with the movie itself. It seems so mindlessly indulgent; the only people who could possibly enjoy these segments are those who call themselves "intellectuals" while they sit around at Starbucks. What could have been a decently campy "horror" film, is turned into a pretentious art-house film.

This leads to the biggest setback of the movie, it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's too schlocky to be a art-house, too intelligent to be a campy b-horror, and not funny enough to be a comedy. It just kind melds into something that really has no true identity. Sure people throw "unique" around, but that doesn't really benefit this movie in any way. It's attempt at being different is its major drawback, it alienates too much of its audience by trying to be some many different things, while not truly being any.

I could only recommend this to those looking for something different, or those who like looking too deep into a movie, thinking it makes them smarter. It would only appeal to a small demographic of horror/comedy/or art films. Rubber just tries too hard to be unique, but it ends up suffering because of it.

Not fun, not very good art either

Author: sparvarius from United States
9 July 2011

Artists break rules all the time in order to advance their craft, keep their audiences engaged, and say new things. However one rule that should never be broken is this: "Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted." This movie breaks that rule in a terrible way.

As you know from reading blurbs about it, it's about a killer tire named Robert (name not given until the ending credits), and is designed to explore elements of style vs. plot in movies. In order to do this, almost every conceivable element of plot is deleted from the script, and every stylistic trope from B-movies that can be employed to carry the movie without the plot is brought to bear. This produces some interesting effects - the tire's journey of self discovery through the desert at the beginning does a pretty good job of personifying it, and the invisible force that animates it may represent that distilled essence of a narrative pushing a story along - but all in all, to kill the plot of a movie, you have to make it deeply, deeply stupid. Not stupid in the sense of being facile (like GI Joe or something with Rob Schneider), but stupid to the point of incoherence. For example, the actors in the movie want the audience killed (there's a very self-referential audience in the film) so that they can stop working. However, one audience member doesn't eat the poisoned food offered to him, so the actors must continue pretending to hunt down a killer tire. An actor tries to poison the last audience member again, but instead eats the poisoned food (for no reason, of course - this is the mantra of the film). If this example I've just narrated seems not to have a punchline, know that the whole film is like this - it is literally assembled with no purpose, and in the end there is nothing to tell.

Ultimately, the most obvious inference to be drawn from the movie is that there must be some necessity to what is being said in a story, and that any audience has an innate expectation that it be compelling. That real life often violates the rules of narrative is a cliché observation. It's an open questions as to why the producers decided to waste 90 minutes demonstrating this rather than just writing a lucid undergraduate-level film essay. The end product is not much more fun, and not much more profound.

junior high movie project?

Author: torrmelling from United States
8 July 2011

probably the worst attempt at a movie i've ever seen. what are these 5+ star reviews?! they MUST be friends of the writer/director/actor! this movie is moronic and pointless. don't waste your money, but more importantly, your time, watching this junior high movie project (nothing against budding movie-makers, either)! $500,000 budget with a $16,000 opening weekend and a $98k gross return will hopefully ensure this writer/director/actor will NEVER write/direct/act again. it's not about huge profits, but about telling a story, and this one fails miserably. you'll watch wondering what and why things are happening because nothing makes any sense, and walk away not caring.

Don' bother

Author: mattsnowden23 from United States
2 July 2011

Never written a review before but this movie is shite. Made up names for the producer and all the cast...... I hope. You should be ashamed of yourselves. If you are trying to be arty, why bother. This is absolute nonsense. I don't know why I have to keep writing for ten lines when I have just summed up the movie in the first ten words... yes, count them. There are ten words.. movie summed up... shite. Thank you. Just three more lines after this one. Can't wait. Don't believe I have wasted my time writing about this movie. Seems like the amount of time the producer, with the made-up French name, spent writing this pile of doo doo.

Ugh, no.

Author: Aidiera from Phoenix
9 August 2012

How many times can you be meta in one movie? Whatever your answer is, you'll still have less than Rubber. The whole point of satire is to use irony to mock people, but nobody bothered to explain that to the director. Being ironic for the sake of itself is only acceptable for hipsters, and therefore this is as hipster as a movie can get. Honestly everything about it just screams, "Don't you wish you had thought of this first?" while denying that fact that nobody did.

Very little makes sense, story-wise. I'd have a hard time spoiling it because the movie itself is one huge surprise. (But not a birthday present surprise, a baby diaper surprise.) While I think it's cool how they moved the tire around, that hardly counts as a good enough reason to waste your time on this movie.