IMDb > Rubber (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 13 of 17: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Critical eyes Beware

Author: ulibarridominic from United States
28 September 2012

People tend to dislike things they don't understand, and this is no different when it comes to Rubber, the story of a killer tire (In simplest terms.)I watched this movie with my cousin about two years ago, and when he first put it on, I was asking all the usual questions, whats the plot? Who are the characters? and most importantly, Why? It wasn't until the end of the movie when i discovered the answer to this final question. The answer is why not? Why not have a tire lust after a woman? Why not have a tire kill a bunny? Why not. If you watch this movie and expect some kind of answer you are going to be left dumbfounded thus, you are going to dislike the movie.

Personally, I liked the movie. I appreciated the writing style, and the visual effects were pretty amazing. I also appreciated the character of the tire. It's hard to relate to an intimate object, especially when the character in question has no face, or facial features, but this movie did this exceptionally. I found myself glued to the TV because of this. The compelling story helped as well.

I do suggest this movie, because it is a creative en devour that deserves to be appreciated but PLEASE, PLEASE do not watch it with a critical eye.

Smartest Kid In Class

Author: yaktheripper from United States
26 July 2012

Meet "Rubber". Rubber is a cousin to philosopher Jacques Derrida's "joker is wild" philosophy Deconstruction. "Rubber" is indeed as clever as it intends to be, whether you get it or not. Higher forms of math are beyond me...does that mean that higher forms of math are a waste of time? "Rubber" is a higher form of cinematography. It transcends genre and punches through the 4th wall. It spits in the face of movies while it confesses it's love for them. This movie despises us and wants us to join in. It's a visual poem disguised as a B movie, disguised as an abstract challenge to film makers world wide. "Rubber" is one of the smartest kids in the class and while you make fun of her, she's speaking in languages you can't comprehend. Production, acting, special effects, scripts, and yes even the acting are all spot on for this type of revolutionary film making. This is the stuff of legends and genius. Dupieux is a film maker to watch.

Hilarious as long as you don't take it seriously

Author: seiterman7 from United States
7 April 2012

It's surprising how many people think this is a legitimate B-movie. A tire that rolls around killing people with psychokinetic powers is too cheesy an idea even for those movies.

Rubber is an excellent movie as long as you understand that its meant to be a parody of horror movies and B-movies in particular. With this, it can get away with a lot of things. Some of the characters have fairly flat acting, but if you found a movie about a deadly tire and decided to watch it for good acting of all things then your thought process is seriously flawed. The movie makes very little sense and doesn't bother to explain much at all, but the "no reason," monologue at the film's onset makes it clear that this was intended.

The humor comes partly from the ridiculousness of the scenario and the seriousness with which many of the characters treat it. Most of the rest of the humor comes from the strange semi-self awareness the film possesses. There are times when you will be watching an audience that is watching the "film," from afar. It's fairly bizarre and may not make a whole lot of sense at first, but it's certainly an interesting idea that works pretty well.

That said, the movie isn't perfect. It takes a while before the plot gets rolling and there are some stretches of the film in which very, very little happens. Some of the humor also comes from gags taking a very long time, so if that kind of joke doesn't appeal to you, you might not enjoy this as much. If you can get past these flaws the movie is definitely worth the watch. Just make sure you have the right sense of humor for it.

"…..Why was E.T. brown? .......No reason."

Author: mojojones77 (mojojones77@hotmail.com) from Canada
5 February 2012

By Maurice Jones 'Rubber' a film that confronts the ignored of movie story lines and therefore caters to the unanswered random questions a movie audience ponders or should ponder.

At first understanding of the movie's title and description, you're given to perceive that 'Rubber' just essentially a horror movie about a killer car tire, but instantly upon viewing 'Rubber' there's a pleasant surprise that goes throughout the whole movie. 'Rubber' follows the traditional mood of standard horror movies having a protagonist female lead that has some sort of a connection with the killer tire, a sheriff trying to stop the killer tire, and the people in between who get killed. The difference with this particular slasher flick is that it's about traditional horror as 'Seinfeld' is about the traditional sitcom.

'Rubber' is a treat for anyone looking for something different, the ending falls short in terms of going nowhere but the main idea is what matters in this movie and that is the celebration of cinematic style that iconic cinema partly stems from, and with that makes for a really cleverly funny movie. With all that I liked 'Rubber' as it's rare to find a movie that focus' on what we don't get to see in a movie and so then wonder about, even if it's deliberate.

Rubber !

Author: edward_graham from manchester
17 December 2011

This is a film that created not only suspense but laughter among me,fitzy and lewis. Initially the plan was to watch 'anuvahood' how wrong we were , as we began to watch anuvahood, the views of the writers of the film disgusted us , showing all lower developed areas to be 'poor' and 'disgusting'. I am proud of where i am from and i will not be showed up like this. So our back up was the ever so infamous 'rubber' and how right we was to change over not only did we cry with laughter we held the suspense as the tyre would seek its prey and pounce ! not a stupid film for anyone who says so . This is an amazingly funny film and shows a few not so appealing scenes . Watch it!

Not as gripping as I had hoped.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
17 October 2011

As is explained at the very beginning of Rubber by a cop who inexplicably climbs out of a car trunk, this film is an homage to 'no reason', the idea that, if the writer or director so desires, anything can happen in a movie for absolutely no reason. Once this concept has been established, Rubber is virtually impossible to fault as far as plot or logic are concerned: whenever the film raises an awkward question—such as 'How can a tyre can just get up and kill by the power of telekinesis' or 'Why is an audience watching proceedings from a nearby hill-top through binoculars'—the answer will always be 'no reason'.

OK, so Rubber has an undeniably off-beat concept and will undoubtedly have chin-stroking cineastes in deep discussion about the genius of 'meta-film'—but is it any good? Well, for a while the whole surreal aspect proves rather irresistible simply because it's so damn weird—that, and the fact that the exploding heads are a blast (there's skull fragments and brain matter all over the place!) and a hot brunette takes a shower for... you guessed it...'no reason' (but when did a film ever need a reason for a shower scene!); eventually, though, the novelty factor begins to wear off, the self-aware nature of events really starts to grate, and the film gradually disappears up its own wazoo. Like the fake cop who wants to kill the tyre via any method so he can stop pretending and go home (no matter how disappointing this will be to his 'audience'), I yearned for matters to wrap up smartish in any way possible so that I could finally go to bed.

An exercise in fourth wall breaking

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
10 October 2011

If you've seen the previews for this film, you'll know it's about a sentient rubber tire that has the power to telepathically explode people's heads. What isn't communicated in the trailer is that the entire film is an exercise in fourth wall breaking. The film starts with a police lieutenant (Stephen Spinella) delivering a soliloquy to the camera about how nothing that happens in the cinema or in real life has any reason (this is a terribly written speech, by the way, and easily the worst part of the film). Then we're introduced to the story's in-film audience, a group of people watching the tire's actions with binoculars, commenting on the action and discussing the story amongst themselves. Later on, Spinella reveals that he knows he's in a movie, a rather silly movie, and he wants to get out of it. I find that audiences really hate fourth wall breaking. About the only place it feels acceptable is in cartoons (like Bugs Bunny). This film in a lot of ways is cartoonish. It's definitely a comedy. Sometimes, it's even a funny comedy. I thought that perhaps the director had only a kernel of an idea to begin with, and then added the fourth wall stuff to stretch it out to a feature film. It seems I'm wrong, though. This is apparently his third film. His first was called Nonfilm, and the little information I can get on it and his follow-up, Steak, make me think that this fourth wall breaking is what Dupieux (heh heh, "dupe you") is really interested in. Definitely a film of interest, if not especially satisfying.

Silly but fun comedy

Author: billcr12 from United States
1 August 2011

I am amazed at what director Quentin Dupieux has done with only a $500,000 budget. He must have convinced Wings Hauser to work for scale since he is the only recognizable name on this project.

This is the story of a tire coming to life and killing people and animals along the way. It is actually a movie within a movie with spectator's doing a play by play almost like a sporting event.

As ridiculous as the plot is, I found myself being amused at the ability of the cast to be having a good time playing along with the tongue-in-cheek aspect of the film.

One major casting element is the lead actress from France, Roxane Mesquida whose previous credits are mostly French films including "Fat Girl" a very good one to see after this. She is a beautiful woman with a great body(a too short nude shower scene) helps move this comedy along' Give this title a shot for a few laughs.

They should have called it "Rubbish"

Author: shinsrevenge from Germany
27 July 2011

After watching the trailer I thought that "Rubber" was a funny movie. I was so wrong. It's a mostly boring movie with very few funny scenes. Mostly you follow the tire around, as it does... pretty much nothing special or entertaining. The lame lines of the beholders, which are obviously bored out of their skull, perfectly represents the feelings I had while watching the movie.

The camera work is bad. It's often way too close up and blurry. The camera is hold so unsteady sometimes, that it's hard to keep watching. After about 20 Minutes I thought that they started playing a song in the background. Since "Rubber" had so little to offer, I noticed every small detail, which hopefully would help pass the time till it ends. Unfortunately, that was only a song from the auto radio, so it didn't last long.

Then the next scene came. For the nth time, you see the tire tremble and then blast into pieces some critter and you really start thinking: "For god's sake, not again. Give me a break." That sounds frustrating? Well, it was. Then a guys head explodes, you see a naked woman taking a shower... and in every slightly interesting scene the beholders come back with their comments and ruining every trace of entertainment. This "concept" keeps on going for the half movie.

Then the audience is being killed by poisoning, except for one man. Even though from then on the movie improves, it's way to late to save anything. I guess, "Rubber" was made intentional this bad. Maybe the producers tried to make it "so bad, it's good". However, they failed. It's just bad.

My recommendation is: Save your time and money and watch something else.

Like a great joke that gets told over, and over, and over again for 80 minutes

Author: da_lowdown from United States
23 July 2011

The first 10 minutes of the movie had my attention. The entire opening sequence where the sheriff explains how things happen in movies for no apparent reason (after inexplicably mowing down rows of chairs with his car in the middle of a dirt road) had me in stitches. Clever! I had my hopes up, thinking I was in for some more goofy irreverent fun. But somewhere along the way, the joke got old. Essentially, more of the same for the next 70 minutes. Yeah, I get the movie's self referential approach, and although it was clever enough at first, it became a one note performance by the director.

One thing I will say, however, this movie shows how "Average Joe's" can make a technically competent film using reasonably priced DSLR cameras that do video (Canon EOS 5D Mark II in this case). Now, all we need is a good accessible script that doesn't try too hard.

Page 13 of 17: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]