IMDb > Rubber (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 12 of 17: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

I use this movie as a 0 to give myself a reference in my scale of 0-10

Author: preusse-31884 from United Kingdom
29 August 2015

After reading the synopsis I thought this film would be a banger, but like going bareback on the town bike, I knew I would instantly regret it. the only difference being, a burning sensation and intolerable itching would have been a more preferable outcome than memories of this film.

There are other more in depth reviews which explain story line and peoples feelings. I would just like to say, this film is not artistic, witty, underground or anything else complementary. It is by far the worst film I have ever seen, and because of that, it is a must see. similar to a person recovering from a terminal illness appreciating life, having watched this, I respect all films a pinch more.

Worst Pile of Garbage I've Ever Seen

Author: georgehazard73
26 April 2015

Really? The best we can come up with in 2010 is a tire that magically has powers to get up but when it comes to obstacles, has to roll over it instead of actually going around it, not to mention can magically break stuff "with its mind?" I'm sure it was like the guy in the beginning said "no reason". You can't just include stuff without some form of reasoning. A bunch of random chairs in the middle of a desert road and the approaching car doesn't bash through them but tries to go around them and ends up smashing them anyway. Is there any reason for it? NO! Clearly the writers and the directors were high on some load of drugs/alcohol because nothing in this move even remotely made sense.

Fly you fools!

Author: xristinakiu from Leicester
18 April 2015

A rubber is awaken in the dessert and starts killing people, for no reason. This movie being made? NO F@@@@@@ REASON!

I have managed to watch approximately half of the movie and despite having watched "Signs",I feel more violated than ever.Even Birdemic (yes, I am not very picky when choosing movies) was better than that.I know you have probably chosen to watch this movie cause you though "yeah man, it is going to be about a tire on a killing spree, it is gonna be fun". Let me tell you one thing... It is not. No matter how bored, stoned or disappointed you are with your life, this movie will still suck!

Save yourself some time and spare your brain cells the damage.You have been warned.

Fly you fools!

For 3rd year UCLA film students, by 3rd year UCLA film students

Author: Matthew Christian from Albuquerque, NM, USA
28 August 2014

You know how sometimes you'll go to a party and there's this one douchebag guy who, somehow, has a group of people captivated and just keeps talking and talking and talking? And from time to time he'll pause and gesture that he's waiting for confirmation that he just said something oh so clever, and the crowd will politely humor him with feigned knowing laughter? But you just stand there, blank faced, wondering why the douchebag is still talking and why is everyone humoring him? Then the douchebag looks at you and slowly shakes his head condescendingly and says, "You just don't get it"? This movie is that douchebag guy.

Rubber would have worked as a 7 minute film school finals project. But instead it's like an interminable night at a hipster dive bar with 3rd year UCLA film students who have reached saturation with cinematic storytelling methods, style, conceits, suspension of disbelief, McGuffins, red herrings, and deus ex machina film gimmicks. And one of the indignant students swears that when he graduates and gets funding, his first film will consist entirely of the conceits that lesser directors fall back on when they write their script into a corner.

That indignant film student is Quentin Dupieux.

I have no words.

Author: rokomonas from Lithuania
23 July 2014

A Rubber killer?Its worst movie ever,not only because the ''Rubber'' is a killer but because what person could be like who wrote this and made this movie?Personally,i rated this movie 1 star why? because movie is awful there was no keynotes,no logic no sensible scenes and no sense.for those who likes horror movies or some mysteries my advice do not watch this movie you will relent...the director is Quentin Dupieux he's rank is low of course if he creating movies like that there are some bad actors they excess very bad acting because who can act pretty well in movie like this... i will give you some tips why should you avoid this movie,and why you should watch it. Watch it if: 1.you are bored,and you want to spend your time but you don't know how 2.If you are a horror movie maniac,who must watch all of horror movies 3.if there are no of movies that you like. why should you avoid this movie: 1.its a totally nonce all scenes are not LOGIC. 2.you wont see any of keynotes all what can you see is moronic and pointless scenes. 3.Director of the movie have very less rating but the most important acting is awful

Awe, look how self aware and clever this thinks it is

Author: TheMarwood from United States
21 July 2014

I have nothing against tires, or killer tires for that matter, especially tires with decent taste in women and the ability to make people's heads explode. In what could have been an enjoyable B movie, is instead an obnoxious self aware mash up of a B movie and an experimental art film. This aggressively meta exercise fails on both counts and just feels smugly content with how clever it's trying to be. The theatricality of the fourth wall being broken to have this gibberish thrown at us, is an embarrassment of amateur filmmaking. Rubber is an indulgent laugh free oddity that just plays on screen for itself, it doesn't engage on any level and if Quentin Dupieux had any mercy on audiences, he would have made this a short film, not a feature. It's a misguided idea stretched beyond tedium.

0/10 The most annoying movie that I have ever seen

Author: Mark Radwan from United States
22 April 2014

I remember seeing the original trailer and being really excited for it. The premise is hilariously ludicrous. The cinematography was great. And as strange as it sounds, I actually felt for Robert. Even the ending, with the *SPOILERS* gang of tires rolling into Hollywood was funny (although that went on a little long). However, all of that was utterly RUINED by the "B-Story", if you can call it that.

I didn't mind the opening "no reason" monologue: it was actually kind of funny. I wouldn't even have minded if the audience had been a visual gag for the beginning, and possibly the end. Some of the things they did were funny, such as people getting annoyed at others for talking during the movie. But I soon discovered that this was going to take up half of the movie. The joke gets really old, really fast.

"Ha ha, get it? They KNOW that it's a movie! Isn't that hilarious?" No. It's stupid. I find it insulting to have such an obvious "joke" shoved in my face every 5 minutes. Just because you had a monologue about "no reason", that doesn't mean that having annoying people talk through the movie is funny. It's not. It's stupid. Really really stupid.

I kept saying to my friend "This audience needs to die." Thankfully they did, and certainly not soon enough. But sadly, one survived. So unfortunately, we have to put up with more stupid jokes like "Why don't you just blow the tire up right now?" Like I said, I had no problem with a movie about a living tire with telepathic powers. I DO have a problem with a movie that treats me like an idiot. It's like having a really annoying person talk through a movie.

The sheriff is another problem I have. Again, more annoying humor like "I'm going to keep talking about how this is a movie, in case you didn't realize! Get it?! GET IT??!!" I wish that the tire had killed HIM instead of the motel owner. Better yet, why didn't he die when he was shot? If the maid was still dead, then how come he didn't die too? I thought that if the audience was watching, then the movie was still happening? Just another nitpick: how do you bring poisoned food to an old man with the intent of poisoning him, forget that it's poison, and then eat it? That's too dumb for even a Looney Toons plot.

This movie feels like they had a GREAT idea for a short, and then padded it out with insultingly stupid scenes. If you edited out all of the stupid fourth wall jokes, you would have a great little short. But no, let's ruin a unique premise with annoying people talking through your movie.

I hated this movie SO much that I had to write a review. I only wish that I could rate it lower than 1 star, because it doesn't even deserve that.

Why should you watch this movie? No reason. So don't, save yourself the aggravation.

well this did not make sense

Author: irishboy55555
9 December 2013

This so called "movie" my friend made me watch. Only two minutes in I realized that it was soooooo bad that I would rather have been punched in the face. The acting was excruciatingly painful to watch. The budget was very high for this movie, which I could do with a camera, some editing software, a mic, and some explosives. Not hard at all. The true problem with this movie is that the story line is awful. I truly wonder who comes up with ideas of a tire that can explode things with its mind. If the creators where trying to make the movie make no sense they did a great job and they get 11 out of 10 for it. You could classify it as a challenge, similar to nyan cat, to see if you can even finish the movie, and if so how many times can you watch it. If you do decide to watch it I solute you for being very brave.

A film about a magical rubber tire should not take itself this seriously

Author: All_Seeing_I from Canada
11 April 2013

Okay. So, normally, I like "so bad it's good" movies, even when they are done purposefully "bad", as this film is. Call it a guilty pleasure if you will. That being said, the choice to make this film a serious, somewhat symbolic kind of piece as well makes it difficult to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, this kind of movie can be a great vehicle for satire, but you have to go about it in a certain way. Unfortunately, the literal content of the movie is just too ridiculous, and dwelt on too much, for us to take it that seriously. While other films can go this route and make a point, the symbolism is usually less complex, and the overall message a little less obscure. While I was straining to "decode" the content, I felt a bit like the filmmakers were trolling me, that they were mocking my taking a movie about a rubber tire as seriously as the characters in the film were. To enjoy this kind of movie you have to sit back and revel in the weirdness; trying to "figure out" the film pulls you out of that and made me, at least, perceive it as what it quite frankly is on a surface level: stupid.

It's a shame, because the concept could have made for a really funny B picture, and if the "allegory" (or whatever you want to call it) were just toned down a bit it might still have been enjoyable as it is. It is arguably stretched out in places, but other than that holds your attention surprisingly well for a film about a rubber tire. 5/10 for having an interesting concept, but sadly the film doesn't have too much else.

A rubber tire kills for no reason!?

Author: OJT from Norway
11 February 2013

I'm pretty sure this film tries to tell us it's made for no reason! As the sheriff says in the start of the film by saying this: All great films contain an element for no reason. - This film is a homage for "no reason". The most powerful element of style! We're introduced to an audience watching this film through binoculars, quite critical and looking for plot holes. And then it's starts off, even more stylish than expected.

This movie is definitely not for everyone. It's strange, ordinary, boring, exciting, funny and different.This movie is just as ridiculous and stupid as you might think, it just that this is done very professionally so. Of course this is a parody. It's a parody and gory splatter crime horror road movie story which will be unlike most you've seen. That said, I really feel I would've taken it even more out, if it was me making this! It's not enough of anything to be a 10 out of 10, though I enjoyed it immensely, and way more than I expected to in beforehand.

The story is about the killer tire, called Robert. Robert is a serial killer, killing in a telepathic/psycho kinetic way like Scanners (David Cronenberg) did in the classic movie. French Quentin Dupieux is the man behind this original piece of meta parody movie, with the abandoned tire Robert obviously quite destructive and sadistic, but still very fond of watching TV.

If you got interested after reading this, then this is a film for you! You pretty much understand this film is something else in the opening scene, when a driver in a car does every move possible to drive down a lot of chair put up on a dirt road. Along the way, you feel lots of inspirations, from Tarantino, Hitchcock, Wenders, Hamer, the Coen's, Spielberg, Cronenberg, Lynch, Hitchcock...

Dupieux plays with the film media, like he did in his first films "Nonfilm" and "Steak" and you really never know what to expect, except something strange. Actually I think he tries to kill off most viewers, in more than one way.

The dialog is funny, and often also homages to other films and filmmakers. Everything is professionally made, and the play is good. Excellent all over. Especially I would mention Stephen Spinella as the sheriff, Wings Hauser as he spectator in a wheelchair, the four cops James Parks, Thomas Duffy, Pete Dececco and Cortnay Taylor, and the young boy not fooled by the tire Remy Thorne. Real quality stuff in the acting. Robert of course, plays excellent as well.

Expect there to be a follow up in a sequel. It'll take more than one movie to get tired of this stuff! If there's spectators, you just have to go on, won't you?

Page 12 of 17: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]