IMDb > "$#*! My Dad Says" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

My brief 2 cents

Author: pocoflybait from Canada
29 September 2010

I wasn't expecting much out of the show. I had no idea it was based on a guy in his late 20's living with his Father who is in his 70's. The scenario of such a circumstance is certainly believable with the way the economy is these days.

I certainly wasn't expecting Shatner to make me laugh, boy was that a pleasant surprise. The guy plays the part of a blunt old man to the 'T'. His lines suit the title of the show. Give credit to the Gentleman that actually did record sh*t his Dad says, after all, the show wouldn't exist without it.

I laughed from start to finish. Keep in mind though, everybody has a different idea of what comedy should be. If you liked the type of lines Al Bundy had, then you might get a laugh out of this. It is simply...raw. Maybe it helps that I have a friend like this so I can relate.

Give it a watch, judge for yourself.

More Shatner, Sasso & Sullivan and less (much less) Sadowski please.

Author: kojak-web from United Kingdom
16 January 2011

Primarily this sitcom revolves around Henry, an out of work journalist, moving back in with Ed, his elderly and opinionated father. If you liked Shatner in Boston Legal, you'll find a lot to like in his portrayal of Ed.

However the big problem lies with Jonathan Sadowski who plays the other main lead Henry. He just doesn't have the comic acting credentials that this role needs, his timing and delivery are massively off. Originally the role of Henry was played by Ryan Devlin, but the series was retooled and the role recast because the studio didn't find him funny enough. You've got to wonder just how much worse he was than Jonathan! Let me be clear, without Sadaowski, I would have rated this series much higher (between 7 & 8 out of 10).

Despite all that, there's potential in this series. Henry's brother and sister-in-law are played by sitcom veterans Will Sasso & Nicole Sullivan and are well cast in their roles. They started off as supporting characters, but as the season has gone on, they've started to feature more prominently, and Henry's role has been scaled back somewhat.

Out of the Ball Park!

Author: fortress111 from United States
1 February 2011

Shatner pulls another one out of his... @$$. Of course with the executive producers from Will & Grace, things can only be first class. Well... mostly. The funny lines of Shatner and his own comedy talents make up for the short falling of the rest of the show. Ideally, nothing is ever perfect. (In a perfect world, William Shatner would not have to buy hair...) Expect lots of star cameos and witty writing. Expect a lot of stepping on political correctness and spanking it's @$$. After all, that's what this series is all about... PC meets Old School.

Shatner does not look 79...more like 59... and "Henry" looks to be in his thirties...which he is (31). Therefore, the premise works, unlike "Retired at 35". Sadowski is superior to McClain by far...although we could have hoped for Zach Braff to take the lead role of "Henry". Second string ain't bad...but the snap of a seasoned star like Braff would have helped tremendously to support the wit of the lead "Ed" played by Shatner...brilliantly as usual.

The writing is coming along to support the premise and the main characters...but has not yet bloomed into its potential. Bottom line...the best new show of the season on any network. Perhaps the best show on any network... period. Including "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory." My VCR is set. I never miss it.

Shatner and the cast are all superb in this one:D

Author: spoku-1 from Poland
29 December 2010

I've been looking round to see some kind of comedy and instead of watching that 70s show reruns I've decided to give this one a try. Man it's paid off. I'm not going to brag about the story just give you a general idea. The show is about a son - dad relationship that never was and is supposed to be made up for. The guys are trying to get a long and all of the episodes show us how hilarious at times can it be. The Generatrion gap is the obvious one to bring out the differences and comedy but a lot of situational humor is served which I would say is in pair with MASH or even a one that is better, especially since it's really contemporary and up-to-date and touches upon real-life dilemmas. Every episode leaves you with something to think about and this is the quality which I love in a show. Not many sitcoms have this. This one does and in abundance. Furthermore, it makes you laugh. I really haven't thought a sitcom could've done it to me ever since "Married with children" has been taken off.

Give it a try, it's really worthwhile.

Spoku

Shatner makes the role of non-conformist hilarious!!

Author: CaptainCraig from United States
13 October 2010

Based on the Twitter feed which often contains vulgar language one might right away wonder how or why this is on network TV. The twitter feed isn't always vulgar though, often times the humor is in the raw unabashed truth of the non-PC, non-conformist, slightly behind the times father. While some colorful language might at times make some lines come across funnier its the situations thus far shown,through 4 episodes, that allow the cast to shine.

The show started off rocky I'll admit, maybe due to re-shooting for the recast role of Henry. However, each subsequent episode has shown the cast gelling and the show laying down roots to make a truly modest show into a good one.

Shatner owns the show. If you enjoyed how Shatner's Denny Crane refused to be bossed around on Boston Legal you'll right away understand Shatner's Ed Goodson on $#*! My Dad Says. You have to try a few helpings of the show but once you do I think you'll like it.

LOVE the show, except for ONE thing ...

Author: from United States
17 October 2010

I would love to give this show 10 stars ... HOWEVER ... I just cannot get past the son, Henry. I thought I would give it a few shows to see if he gets a groove, but I am sad to say - he has not caught on.

The rest of the cast is SUPERB ... the writing is great. EXCEPT for when Henry is in the scene.

He is boring, lifeless and just one big yawn. He has no finesse whatsoever. His delivery is awful and he is bringing the show down to a screeching halt.

I have NO IDEA what they saw in him upon casting, but there is no chemistry at all that comes through when he is on screen.

By the way ... I just LOVED the gal that played the "Aunt" who was in the Navy. What a great character she was. I would like to see her come back as a regular.

I want the show to stay on the air, I really do ... I just think they need to rethink the role of Henry. I still think it early enough to recast. Seriously ... we all learned to love the new Darren, didn't we?

Where there's a Shatner...

Author: ddfcmp8 from Somewhere East
27 September 2010

....There is DEFNINITELY potential, no matter how mediocre the writing, or the rest of the cast may be. I can't believe that people are so against this stuff. It's meant to be a little off-the- wall, as the title suggests, and that's pretty awesome compared to the usual, run-of-the-mill sitcoms you see these days. "Two and a HAlf Men" and "The Office" seem to be the only sitcoms that survive these ridiculous times on TV anyway, so why not give it a chance.

For starters, there is a pretty simple, perhaps even familiar, but all the same enjoyable story of a young man who, under certain circumstances, must bunk with his crazy dad for a while. Not so complicated, yes? Then there is the conflict of his father (always remarkably entertaining Shatner) as an emotionally rejective man with eccentricities up the wahzoo! A man who will not allow this to come to pass easily. Still, all i takes is a little heart and soul to connect mishapped father and son, and that's what happens to heal the story in the pilot.

NOW, it's what might come next that I am EXCITEDabout (should the show last, and I hope it does).

The cast member, other than Shatner of course vary in different areas. The lead man opposite the Shatman, Jonathan Sadowski, has some talent to burn, but he's got a lot to learn about holding his own, especially against seasoned actors like Shatner. That does not mean he's bad, in fact, he carries a great deal of miscommunication and generations gaps quite well. That shows much promise. Will Sasso and Nicole Sullivan need serious work. they're synthetically injected for background comedy that will grow tiresome in a while unless some more importance use is made for them. Tim Bagly of "Will and Grace" fame is, as usual,. on the mark with comedic timing and character support. His involvement will definitely help. as well.

What can I say, it wasn't perfect, but I really liked it and hope it succeeds. With any luck it will. There is always room for improvement, and I think with the write TLC, it will. Shatner's "Ed Goodson" ain't no Denny Crane", but he's sure crazy enough to carry a fun show for a couple of years, so hats-off to that, and may this show succeed!!!

it is good!

Author: ykrzeslo from Brussels
28 January 2011

i really did not know what to expect from this. Then i saw it was a KOMUT show. So OK, let's give it a try. After half of the pilot i was hooked. William Shatner is excellent . He reminds me of my own father ( :-) ) The situations are also great (WS in a gay restaurant, i mean it's priceless). The only downside is Henry, he needs to get more lines or act a little bit better. The relations between WS and his sons are also greatly written. Full of humor but there's always a message underneath.The show will really take off if they have guest stars , noticeable guest stars (like all the Star Trek crew members :-) Jean Smart is great . There is chemistry between her and WS.

On the edge! Surprised it's not on HBO!

Author: Daniel Walker from Canada
20 November 2010

I first read Kris King's "professional" critique on the show. Having watched nine episodes myself, I would never read or take anything Kris King ever writes to be worth anything. King slams "Sh*t My Dad Says", saying such things like the acting is "hammy". For the type of humour, it's to be expected. A lot of sitcoms start out with "hammy acting" and run for several seasons. And when King says it's "not funny, ever", just goes to show how biased King is towards the show. There are plenty of funny bits and not just what Shatner is saying. I don't appreciate King's obvious ignorance.

Admittedly, William Shatner (playing Ed Goodson) forces the one-liners in the first few episodes. That having been said, you can identify all the actors settling into their roles - Shatner most notably. Will Sasso has been the best in his role since the beginning. His "spaghetti and meatballs" bit was spot on and hilarious.

It's not easy to spew one-liners about Viet Cong and homosexualism and get away with it. Especially on CTV! I applaud CTV for pushing the boundaries and broadcasting this show. If I didn't know better, I would think it would be an HBO series. It's about time we have a show that rivals "All In The Family" for touching base on sensitive subjects and bringing light-heartedness to it.

Don't misunderstand my point of views - it doesn't mean I do or we should take those subjects lightly in the real world (despite the show being based off a real-life person). I strongly believe censorship and critics should really stop flaming this show for what it *isn't. If parents aren't passwording their digital and satellite receivers to block channels and adult rating levels, or paying attention to what their children are watching, it's their fault, not the creators of the show.

The critics aren't always right. I find them more biased and ignorant more often than ever. Lighten up. This show is good and getting better!

A solid comedy

Author: Ron Mueller from St. Louis, MO
20 November 2010

While opinions seems to vary greatly, I like the show and find the cast well balanced. Shatner, at 79 has great timing and his relationship with Henry is something we can relate to as our parents age.

The dad's advice is mostly right but he offers it with such a bitter pill that it is too hard to swallow. Who doesn't have a relative that is probably right in their wisdom but you just can't stand hearing the sound of their voice for one more minute.

For the distracters I will agree that the new character responsible for taking care of Shatner pulls the show down and I am hoping they write of his character quickly (nothing against the actor, it just doesn't fit with the mood - 2 is company, 3 is a crowd).

I hope the show gets a full session and I will definitely be tuning in for the long haul.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]