IMDb > Absentia (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Absentia

Absentia More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Michael Flanagan's next movie might be worth watching if he has a much bigger budget.

Author: suite92 from SoCal, USA
25 September 2013

Callie moves back with Tricia, who lives in a burglary prone area of Glendale, CA, USA.

Tricia is pregnant, and aiming to move, but not quite getting there.

Tricia is moving to get her missing husband declared legally dead after seven years. A lawyer and Ryan help her with this. Callie helps push.

While those factors are in play, Callie has been out running; she often goes through a tunnel under the freeway. She has some odd encounters there. About the same time, Tricia starts hallucinating her dead husband's presence. Her shrink helps her deal with this. After (probably stolen) objects are dumped on the welcome mat, Callie returns them to the tunnel. Later, she finds twice as much in her futon. The women discuss this with the police.

Callie and Tricia find another place; Tricia starts dating her baby's father, Ryan, openly.

As the first date was about to start, Daniel shows up. Ryan sees him, Callie sees him, Tricia sees him.

The police and the hospital figure out that he has been eating animals, including bones. His memory is shot. Callie tries to connect with him, as does Ryan. Tricia, of course, is hurricane level angry. Ryan makes his case as a better mate than the current version of Daniel--the death certificate is accurate, metaphorically speaking.

Daniel speaks with Callie, describing the monster that enslaved him for years. Daniel tells her that he wished that Callie had not bartered with it (the food, the trinkets she returned) since the monster fixates. Then wham, the monster takes him back and drags him into the tunnel, and absorbs him into the wall.

Unfortunately, while this happened, Callie was high, and the police noticed it, as did Tricia.

The last half hour is about dealing with Daniel being gone again. The energy for the search is heightened by the existence of other missing persons cases associated with the same tunnel. Callie helps highlight this, but faces rough sledding convincing anyone. Tricia has to deal with Daniel's parents. The cops get a little traction in the matter, but not a whole lot.

Scores--- Cinematography: 7/10 The camera work is often top notch. At other times, it is just bush league, so I assume this is a (bad) conscious choice.

Sound: 8/10 Fairly good. Seldom drops out. The background sounds are sometimes irritating.

Acting: 7/10 Reasonably good. The two women leads were much better than I expected, and I liked the actors who played the two detectives.

Screenplay: 8/10 Has a beginning, middle, and an end. I had no problems with exposition of motivation. The technical scores point to a four out of five rating, but the film has no significance for me. I read about 20 reviews of it, by people who clearly watched the same movie I did. There tended to be a lot of energy in the reviews from those who gave it high ratings and from those who gave it low. I could not agree with either group; it's just not that interesting.

Special Effects: 7/10 Not very many of them, which a low budget necessitates. No spectacular gaffes that I noticed.

Awesome & Fathoms Deep.

Author: wlvryn from Australia
21 September 2013

i don't think i'v seen a better suspense/horror movie ever. Now i have to fill 10 lines??? Subtle. Eerie. Deep. So many ways in aftermath to "explain" what might have happened. Uses great interpretative "what if's" of global mythologies. Uses clear concise extrapolations of scientific dimensional possibilities. Leaves the viewer contemplating all those aforementioned "what if's", "explanations" & "in between" spaces from mythology through dimensional perspectives. Draws the viewer into the whole "human/emotional" interplay & states of the main players. Allows both slow-building dread & sudden shocks to inter-weave throughout. In All? Totally immersing & intense piece. i'd give it a rating of 13 out of 10, but apparently i can't...

Wheres the other shoe?....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
1 August 2013

Tricia's husband has been missing for seven years. Her sister, Callie comes to stay with her as she finally declares him dead.

Callie finds herself drawn to a tunnel near the house. As she begins to link it to other mysterious disappearances, it becomes clear that the husbands disappearance might be sinister....

So Callie continues to run through the tunnel regardless...

if you like your horror movies cheap, and featuring lots of sinister creatures with their eyes missing and floating above beds, this is for you.

And without one single scare.

It's a good idea, and the two leads are really good, but the rest of the cast stink, especially the detective who looks like Pruitt Taylor Vince, just detract from the overall atmosphere of the film and takes you away from what is going on.

Kudos to the makers trying so hard with such a limited budget, but why get Doug Jones in a worthless role, just to give the film some added gravitas?

Come the end of the film, we are treated to another unseen body pull a character away, and then the one trying to save them get the blame.

And then come the end, someone runs down the scary tunnel and loses a shoe.

it's been done hundreds of times before, and better.

Sorry, just didn't do anything to for me.

Not a horror film but a beautiful film about loss and mystery

Author: jehudi-van-dijk from Netherlands
3 June 2013

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

I saw Absentia thinking it was an horror/monster film. But it wasn't. And that wasn't a bad thing. In my humble opinion Absentia is a film about how difficult it is to deal with things that we can't understand. It's a film about open endings. About losing the ones you love without getting an answer. And the film explores that idea in beautiful scenes and dialogue. It raises questions about how far we are really want to go in our way of thinking. It was sometimes deeply moving and very well made with beautiful shots and a nice slow paced rhythm. But most of all: It was a movie with an unusual, philosophical personal and rare story to tell. I loved it.

Amazing...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
7 June 2012

"Absentia" actually turned out to be a rather nice surprise of a movie. I must admit that I had expected somewhat more horror from it, whereas it turned out to be a character driven mystery instead. But still, it was quite nice.

The story is about Tricia Riley (played by Courtney Bell) whose husband Daniel Riley (played by Morgan Peter Brown) has been missing for seven years, and now ready to have the death certificate issued and brought the case to a closure, something unexpected happens...

The movie is slow paced, but that actually works out well enough in favor of the movie, as it helps to build the setting and set up the mood for the entire story. The director, Mike Flanagan, is great at adding little bits to the story while building up a good sense of mystery and dread, and at the same time leaving almost everything up to the imagination of the viewer.

"Absentia" was really brought to life on the screen by the people they had cast for the various roles. Sure this wasn't a major Hollywood production with an obscene amount of money put into the project, but Mike Flanagan proves that you don't need a ridiculously huge budget in order to make a memorable movie that sinks right in. So despite it being a smaller budget movie, the end result was far better than what I had expected.

If you like movies that are thick on suspense and a dire mood, then "Absentia" is well worth checking out. Don't watch this movie with the hopes or intentions to be scared out of your brain, because it is just not that type of horror movie.

I was thoroughly entertained by "Absentia" and I do love it when I happen to fall upon the odd movie here and there that is a gem in disguise. And it was a nice treat to sit in the dark and sort of being fed just enough information to make you start to think and try to figure out what was going on, and at the end being left in the dark to draw your own conclusions as to what was really going on.

Thumbs way up for "Absentia".

huh?

Author: Queen Elizabeth from England
13 December 2012

First of all the girl is pregnant and She is drinking champagne in the opening scenes. Then we find out her husband has been missing for seven years, so how is she still pregnant? She then starts to see her husband as a kinda ghost. Then he shows up alive. How was she seeing his ghost? The wife has been dating the detective that was on the case of her husband so when the husband shows back up he feels he has the right to be mad at the guy. Then the husband starts talking about something in the walls but the director chooses to never actually show us what it is. Aliens? Insects? Creatures? We never actually find out but whatever they are they keep snatching people and dragging them off into walls and tunnels. Apparently this is so shocking that it is impossible to do anything but watch on in horror. Another thing that is super annoying human is that the girl apparently only has one shirt so that is all she wears. Then there is a random dude that has a dog in a plastic bag at a crime scene because apparently he thinks he can feed the dang things. Then eventually all the main characters disappear and you are left wondering what the heck just happened.

strange flick were nothing is really explained

Author: trashgang from Midian
27 February 2012

So far I haven't seen a flick directed by Mike Flanagan and this doesn't add his name to my 'directors look out' list. It's a bit difficult to review this flick because it goes very slowly and somehow you just wants to know what is in the tunnel. But it's clearly to see that it is a low budget flick because there are in fact no effects used.

By doing so you need a good script. And the script was okay but still sometimes it all took a bit too long or some scene's did reappear like the praying in the bed room or the yoga stuff. But you kept looking due the acting. I can't say that they did it bad. Katie Parker (Callie) and Courtney Bell (Tricia) did well and were believable and had to say so many lines here because there's a lot of talking going on. Even as there isn't any red stuff in it or effects it's them who made it watchable. And they are just in the business so a big cheer to them both.

At the end you are still full of unsolved questions and not everything is explained but it's worth looking at. This flick shows that a flick full of blah blah isn't always struggle to get through. Not exactly my kind of horror but I'm sure due the situations that you surely knew such a place, read tunnel, in your neighborhood that looks creepy.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 1/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5

Absolute garbage!

Author: jassiswag
1 December 2015

I'm sorry but I can not wrap my head around it that there are people out there who actually enjoyed this movie. I have watched a lot of horror movies and have encountered quite some bad ones and this is one of the worst I've seen. The extremely annoying music with the bad acting and god awful story line mix together to make one of the most boring horror movies out there. Two sisters near a tunnel where people are going missing, mixed with awful camera work... There's not much more you need to know about this. If you in any way value your time, do yourself a favor and avoid this movie. If I could give a negative rating, I would.

Wretched, abysmal barely-horror effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
19 August 2015

When her sister arrives to help a woman finalize her husband's disappearance, his sudden reappearance and odd behavior spark them to believe a legend about a mysterious tunnel being a gateway to a nightmarish world and must stop themselves from joining it's grisly legacy.

This was an absolutely dreadful and utterly terrible horror effort which has barely anything about it worthwhile. Most of the problems here come from the complete and utter lack of any horror activity in the beginning half here, which is played off as a mystery/drama mixture with the disappearance taken precedent in the story. The scenes of the poster collection, the sisters bonding again and the legal matters that are followed through all comprise the first forty minutes here which in turn allows the film to move along at a dreadful, boring pace go through these scenes that aren't scary in the slightest. The main factor of keeping it down is the pace, making it so low-key and quiet that very little resonates as scary or thrilling with no excitement or fear built up in here, and the scenes just running through the neighborhood tunnel or the requirements necessary to do that in real life just showcase a bland, uninteresting tempo that beyond the horror of the realistic scenario is just agonizingly dull. While an attempt is made to set-up the tunnel as something creepy, it just doesn't come off that well-done at all as it appears more as a dark tunnel instead and a much better case actually gets made for the tunnel's creepiness through the revelation of the historical incidents that happened there than anything else actually done on-screen with the location. That leads into the one big horror scene of his abduction from the house by the strange creature dragging along the ceiling and back into the tunnel where he disappears again. Even still, it's not a good horror scene as this is told as a silent flashback that never shows anything, features no gore, no scares or even any creepy moments. It gets slightly better when it turns back into a horror film until the last ten minutes as it becomes apparent something's going on with the chilling insect noises in the walls and the different recollections of their encounter there, but in the end there's just not enough to get over the flaws here and leaving this one to be a total bore.

Rated R: Language and Violence.

Abstain (Awful) Absentia

Author: uksusc from Los Angeles, CA
1 June 2015

Nothing happens in this "movie" except:

a bad actress gives lip service to Christianity and goes on long jogs (again and again) through the same tunnel then chats with her pregnant/fat? sister (they actually explain what meditation IS) bad writing bad music (whats that ringing sound) bad camera work (show another exterior shot of the apartment or stuff that has no connection to the movie ONE MORE TIME) bad acting (from but not limited to wanna-be Domenick "Dom" Lombardozzis) lastly and oh so very least-est-ly, the weakest "horrific" payoff you can find out there in any genre.

THATS IT! A really pale white guy pees his pants. But that's IT!!!!!!!

Let me save you 1.5 hours of time I'll never get back....

Abstain from watching this "movie"