"Downton Abbey" Episode #1.1 (TV Episode 2010) Poster

(2010)

3 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Terrific start...
mark-newman-128 September 2010
(I'll edit this review as I see more episodes. There are seven.) It's 'Upstairs Downstairs' all over again! The new series, Downton Abbey, is bound to draw parallels from its' almost 40 year old inspiration but has so far proved itself worthy of the challenge.

Writer Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park) has created interesting and likable characters without the need to submerge them into over emotional dialog and performances. Much of what is 'said' is done with body language alone.

Much of the first episode gets some of the family history, legal status and staff hierarchy details out of the way.

As you can expect the cast and acting is first rate and the photography, scenery and attention to detail is perfect. The script (so far) is not insulting or annoying... which is a pleasant surprise.

After being continually disappointed by the quality of British TV drama over the last few years with it's insipid devotion to a teenage audience it's very satisfying to be able to report that this one finally seems to be headed for an intelligent, discerning and adult audience.

Get your best china out, cut the crusts off those cucumber sandwiches, relax into the Chesterfield and enjoy! Sunday nights in front of the box are back!
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant!
carla-godfrey25064 October 2010
A terrific drama that explores the different and difficult relationships between the servants and the upper-classes. Julian takes care to make sure that the servants have just as an important part as their masters and balances it beautifully! There's treachery, love, and plenty more to look forward to. Julian shows us that there is more to a stately home than meets the eye, and pays careful attention to show that what you see on the outside is not necessarily what you get on the inside. There's plenty of conniving going on between Miss O'Brian and footman Thomas to make sure that you are never bored for a single second. So tear yourself away from the day to day life of the twenty-first century and plunge into the early twentieth, I promise you, you won't regret it!!!!!!
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Marvelous
jp28199515 December 2017
I love historical fiction. Luckily, I found out about Downton Abbey and I did not hesitate a moment to watch it.

The pilot episode opens on the morning of 16 April 1912, a day after Titanic sank into the bottom of Atlantic. The news had shocked the nation. On this episode, we see how the sinking affected the aristocratic family, the Crawleys, and how it would change the course of their lives.

We also get to see how the servants lived and how back-breaking their work was in the day.

I really love this series. The characters are incredible and are very well-portrayed by the amazing cast. The costumes, the interior design of the beautiful estate, the production design, the life in early 1900s--almost everything is spot on.

I simply love this.