IMDb > The Vow (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Vow

The Vow More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 17: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Desperation Never Wins

Author: Mack Benz from Vancouver, Canada
21 April 2012

Don't get me wrong, I love Channing Tatum and Rachael McAdams but this is the most unrealistic piece of bull I've ever watched. The film-work, the cinematography, all of it beautiful. Chicago, the sites, the settings, the environment, all the making of a gorgeous film but never ever ever ever does these even play to the slightest of realities. Based on true events purposely embellished to sell a script.

Add a few sexy songs to try and set the mood but no, let's be real. But the desperation in this film bleeds pity. It's chaotic tales that we all wish were true but its not.

I know film-making is meant to be make-believe but don't portray two gorgeous people in circumstances that would never pan out. If you GOO*GLE this and check out the real characters. They do not even resemble ANYTHING remotely close to these two beauty's. NOT THE SAME.

8/10 Cinematography. 8/10 Cast and Acting. 3/10 Screenplay/Writing

What more can I say besides when you put a sexy cast like this together you need to play to the realities of North Americans for them to truly connect. Unfortunately at 26 years of age, and a lot of experience in the dating field this is just benign crap and I'm in a happy relationship.

Watch at your own peril or forever succumb to fake Hollywood B.S. that feeds into the plasticity of morrow years.

Disappointment extreme.

Then I started reading the reviews. I am so disappointed in most Americans it's sinister. If you see the international reviews, its below 4 stars. If you read the Americans its above 6. How are you guys so used to spoon-fed B.S. that you settle for something so pathetically mediocre that with that budget, you'd pee roses.

Do any of the IMDb reviews take into consideration actual film-making? NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST. Therefore, MOST (95%) review's are incomplete and unsubstantial with misleading information. Given this budget and the cast, I expect clockwork, not miss-edited fragmentation that placates to mo.ons under the 100IQ taboo.

Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum's charm holds the movie together

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
8 May 2012

The Vow – CATCH IT (B+) Based upon the true story of Kim & Krickett Carpenter, they got into a fatal accident leaving Krickett forgetting everything about her husband and their marriage. The Vow brings two Nicolas Sparks' bankable stars The Notebook's Rachel McAdams and Dear John's Channing Tatum together for the first time. The movie and story is as complicated as any Nicolas Spark's novel can be, so the comparison is obvious. I have to say that the whole movie rests upon Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams amazing chemistry and performance. Rachel McAdams looked breathtakingly gorgeous in the movie and every time she smiles she lightens the screen. Channing Tatum give wooden performances in most of his action movie but just like Dear John, he impresses yet again. Jessica Lange and Sam Neill are veterans. Scott Speedman is great with his evil grin. The Vow has good looking supporting cast Dillon Casey, Lucas Bryant, Shannon Barnett, Jessica McNamee and Jeananne Goosman. On the whole, the ending could have come strong with some big event or anything but still if you liked Nicholas Spark's romantic movies, you will simply adore The Vow.

Very Good

Author: epsomsalt from United States
10 February 2012

Love it, a beautiful story an great acting, Channing Tatum has become a good actor. Rachael Mcadams is perfect for this movie. One of the best Valentine Day Movie. This movie made people the the movie theater laugh and cry. Guys take your women to see this movie. Channing Tatum's character (Leo) is trying too woo back the of his life after a car accident take took the memory of his new wife Rachel Mcadams (Paige). She lost the last five year of memory, before she met Leo and when she was engaged too another men, so she now don't know Leo. The movie is told from the perception of Leo, who now have to deal with her estrange family and ex boyfriend

A beautiful and romantic movie

Author: moviegirl181 from Australia
11 February 2012

I got dragged to see "The Vow" by Michale Sucsy by a couple of my teenage friends and I ended up quite liking this movie as it was very enjoyable and romantic. Set in a beautiful and comfortable city, The Vow tells the story of a nice and cute couple who are very much in love. But the problem is perfectly shown when Paige (Rachel McAdams) has memory loss after being in a car accident with her beloved husband, Leo (Channing Tatum). And there things start to unfold.

This movie was so interesting and romantic to watch as we also get to see the first life Rachel and Leo have together before the accident and how they came to be together. The reason why I loved this movie was because it is set in a city, unlike many other romance movies and the life the characters have is interesting. The scenes were beautiful and comfortable with an excellent soundtrack therefore the story seemed so real. And the characters seemed real too; Paige is a sculptor artist who has left her family to follow her heart and Leo owns a recording studio. The movie mainly focuses on Paige's actions and reactions played so well by Rachel McAdams who was prefect for the role and connected so well to her character who had 2 very different lives; the one before and after the accident. And this is the best I've seen of Channing Tatum. I have never been impressed with his acting ability but here he puts on a marvellous performance never seen before. His character seemed so real and I was able to connect with his emotions; the sadness and frustration of losing his beloved wife. And put it together, Tatum and McAdams were excellent, the romantic showed their comfort and connection with each other.

I would have loved to score this movie 10 out of 10 due to the characters and setting but the storyline lost it towards the end after starting off so perfectly. It was a bit of a disappointment to actually watch Leo give up his effort to win Paige's heart back, even going for a divorce after her Dad's encouragement. The movie didn't end the way we were expecting where Paige slowly regains her affections for Leo and her former life.

Apart from the flaws with the ending, "The Vow" is beautiful and romantic story that lives up to its expectations (except for the ending) . It was much better than other movies of romance such as "Dear John, "The Last Song" and "Letters to Juliet". The Vow has a very original and interesting storyline and is sure not to disappoint. If you are a love of romance movies, this is a must-see.

It was believable

Author: kayyhayy89 from United States
11 February 2012

The thing about The Vow was very well acted, especially Channing Tatum's character, Leo. It was shown from his side of the story, which is what set it apart from just your other typical romantic comedy. The was compassion, you saw it in McAdams & Tatum's eyes. They had on set chemistry that made you believe and made you feel like you were apart of it It wasn't over the top. People that are trying to compare it to The Notebook doesn't do the movie justice. The Vow is believable, and the fact that it is based on true events, make it even more heart warming. The movie was great from start to finish. People are in for a treat, and that treat is to see a good romantic comedy that isn't like every other one. It stands out.

This movie in no way, resembles the actual story it is based on!

Author: cheesyfiend from United States
13 May 2012

If you are familiar with the real story, do not watch this film. Hollywood changed every aspect of this story. The only parts of this movie true to the real couple is that there was an accident, and she lost all memory of her husband. The way the accident occurred was even changed. The real story is great. Unfortunately Hollywood thought they could write it better, and in doing so, have ruined it. If you want to know what happened, buy the book "The Vow." It was written by the husband and wife who inspired this movie, and it details everything. It is a quick read, and holds your attention well. Most importantly, you get the actual story.

A Nutshell Review: The Vow

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
7 April 2012

Inspired by real events, the Vow takes a cold hard look at how we are who we are because we're made up of memories that shape our lives, and if taken away from us, we can almost be someone else, because we're robbed of what we had remembered, and from there the experiences drawn that craft our actions and reactions. Not to mention the opportunity to relive and take a different path in choices presented, although what we cannot have is to rewind the ticking biological clock that continues to surge forward.

If five recent years of our lives were to be wiped out and we cannot remember what had transpired, with scant records lying around and even so they don't do squat in jogging our memories, how would we cope, and how would others, especially loved ones or enemies even, cope? There will be frustration as normalcy is slowly eased into a life we never knew, loved ones will be exasperated when we spurn their care and concern because they're strangers to us now, and enemies may find it timely to exact revenge, or take the easy path to reconciliation since we cannot remember what had transpired.

This forms the premise for The Vow, which starts off just as the trailer presented, with married couple Paige (Rachel McAdams) and Leo (Channing Tatum) getting involved in a car accident, and Paige suffering the brunt of the impact because she had her seat belt unbuckled (traffic safety warning so subtly sneaked in). In a comatose state, Paige cannot remember who Leo is after she wakes up, and thus begins the road forward in trying to jolt her back to remembering what would be the best years of their lives in Chicago.

A good part of the film transpires in flashbacks to set the movie firmly in the romance genre, showing how the couple met, their courtship, their marriage and lifestyle, with him still involved in a sunset industry with the setting up of a recording studio, and she pursuing the dream of being an artist much to her parent's disdain in wanting her to become a lawyer. Played by Sam Neill and Jessica Lange, Paige parent's see the chance to reclaim their estranged daughter back into the household which Leo fights tooth and nail against, and Lep's story dwells a lot on this contention on which party should be able to provide the best care - the one with money, or the one with love.

Complication and challenges come from an ex-fiancé (Scott Speedman) who sees it apt to try and woo back his one time love without much effort since in Paige's mind she's still engaged to him, and not married to Leo, and with Paige's automatic drift toward her graduate school days and her friends then, leaving Leo pretty much in the lurch when he decides to tag along just to make sure she's safe.

With the leads having cut their teeth in Nicholas Sparks film adaptations to date with The Notebook and Dear John, both Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum I might add, have what it takes to play lovebird in a romantic film outside of the Sparks series. McAdams nails it playing almost two characters, one spoilt and very much dependent on others, and the other fiercely independent who leads her own life the way she wants to. This causes trouble and pain for Leo, which Tatum to my surprise tackles it quite well, having come from being a dancer to an action star and perhaps now a bona fide romantic lead.

Together they share incredible chemistry that makes you root for their coming back together again somehow, especially with Leo's lofty ideals that wooing his wife all over again will be a walk in the park and a piece of cake since she had done it before and will perhaps do it again, but I guess the harsh reality is that it's never that simple to expand effort and not expect something in return, which in this case expectations built by one does prove to be a bummer when the returns aren't exactly what was planned for, especially with the increasing amounts of cold shoulders, being ignored and witnessing someone carry on their lives as if you don't exist.

What I thought was interesting in the narrative is how it played out almost like a time travel movie, where we're presented the current timeline, that got interrupted and we go back to a past where the couple hasn't met yet, and then from that point tangent off into an entirely new timeline in itself. Moments become a big deal in the film as the monologue narration makes a huge point about the impact that moments can have, and in some ways it's true to life if you reflect upon what makes you, and how you remember events in specific, memorable snapshots.

Released during the Valentine's Day week in the USA and only finding its way to our shores now, The Vow will still pack an emotional punch for couples out there who will likely flock to this like bees to honey, and Kleenex may be the order of the day as well. It's really very standard lovey dovey moments and time spent apart that drives everyone in the film, but just how it played out in the end really served to anchor this with a heavy dose of reality without the need to pander to the general romantic inclinations of how a romantic movie must end. I like possibilities, and The Vow firmly delivered on that promise.

The Vow

Author: uanna11 from United States
17 February 2012

"The Vow," is inspired by a true and romantic story but to me it's just another cheesy Friday night movie. In the very first shot, two happy young lovebirds, Leo and Paige exit a movie theater, not giving us any ideas. They waste no time getting to the point there a loving couple. As Leo and Paige drive home, they tease, they laugh; they pull over for a little fooling around and get rear-ended by a large truck. Paige loses her memory and never recovers from the accident. From this point in the movie, I actually enjoyed it; it was interesting and kept you questioning what's going to happen. I think those elements from the movie were actually helpful in representing the theme of the whole movie. The past four years, Paige doesn't remember anything such as her husband, why she stopped pursuing her law degree, and why she doesn't talk to her family anymore. To me, The Vow is just an average gooey Valentine's movie that will soon be forgotten as soon as February fourteenth passes. Half way in the movie when she is trying to reminisce with her husband, I continually waited during every little scene for something to happen. They just kept dragging it out which made the movie boring and long to watch. The movie was not the best but the previews did an excellent job in advertising that it would be the next, Notebook or Titanic. What I did like about the movie were the cheesy romantic scenes. "For example," Paige was at work and she saw a box on the table with her name on it. As she is walking toward the box she saw her loving hubby Leo, outside in the rain, saying "open it." There was Advil with a note saying, for your head, tissues for her nose, sexy lingerie for him, condom for later, and a picture of him for her heart. The last forty-five minutes are a mind-numbing vacuum, as the various plot contrivances resolve in the way you will not expect, and the movie finds a perfectly soothing path to its inevitable ending.

The Vow (1.5 Stars)

Author: Austin Takahashi from Philippines
18 February 2012

"The Vow" is a badly written, poorly executed, and weakly acted melodrama about how amnesia allowed a married couple in Chicago to relive the early memories of their love. The only thing that's going for this inept love story is its release date. No doubt that the season of Valentine's Day will lead thousands of couples into watching movies like this, no matter how terrible they are. Last year's "Valentine's Day" made over 200 million dollars, despite an 18% score on Rotten Tomatoes. I present to you a rating so low, Michael Bay hasn't even been there (yet).

"The Vow" is currently holding on to a 30% rating, yet it made over 40 million dollars on its opening weekend in the United States. After discovering the statistics I just posted, I'm no longer sure why I'm still writing a review for this, since chick flicks are guaranteed to be box office hits when released near Valentine's Day. But I press on. Right now I think to myself, "If this review causes a single person to cancel his or her plans regarding seeing this movie, then I'll have peace knowing that I have done something good for a fellow human being."

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/the-vow-movie-review/

A waste of my intellect and money

Author: shay3624 from United States
27 May 2012

I must say I was looking for something much more. This was just Dull! Without the obvious dynamic chemistry between the two lead actors...i think I would have stopped watching this movie well before half way through the movie. There could have been so much more involved in this movie. I understand that it was based on a true story...however, even this is a bit unbelievable. The concept is not..but the way everything happens..i doubt a true story would have been so perfectly packaged. Instead of basing this on a true story, why not take the basis of the story, which was memory loss...and run with with. It almost feel like I was just getting into the story and it stopped. I feel a bit cheated actually..If it wasn't for Channing Tatum's occasional booty/chest shot..i would have just turned this mess off! Not even cheesy...I could have dealt with that...The actors were good..the writing left a heck of a lot to be desired.