IMDb > The Vow (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Vow

The Vow More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 17: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Its a 4 years before film , MY GOD

Author: Tony Richens from United Kingdom
18 February 2012

So , its valentines day , i had a lovely meal with the girlfriend and we decided to go see this chick flick. Now the film itself is based around something both me and my partner appeal to , memory loss and fighting to gain that love back threw all the odds no matter what anyone says to you, we are both idiots to assume this was going to be as good as The Notebook. Both films are about different things but under a similar premise so we assumed we might have a good cry and enjoy a emotional packed film.

We was wrong , from the word go this film didn't pick up it was just so dull and the characters where not living up to their standards that i saw in the trailer , we thought the whole film was going to be about the main character trying to get the love of his lifes memory back but it was so full of crap from the past we barely got a chance to fall in love with the characters , no where in the trailer does it mention it was going to be a timeline type of film and it was and that was a very disappointing aspect. Not once did i ever feel a connection between Rachel McAdams AKA Paige and Channing Tatum aka Leo before and after the crash they just seemed like hooligans.

All in all i would of much rather of watched the muppets and im so annoyed i didn't now.

Miss Piggy And Kermit the frog could of pulled off a more believable film.

Tedious if you're male, probably good if you're female

Author: yeltzmanmatt from Birmingham, England
23 February 2013

I watched this with my wife and I pretty much hated it and she loved it. I am not averse to a good romantic film if it's done well i.e The Notebook however this was pretty poor in my eyes on all levels. In fact it was almost as bad as PS I Love you.

Rachel McAdams is just a so so actress in my opinion, great in The Notebook but average in most other films I have seen her in. I was not familiar with Channing Tatum and after watching this I don't think i'll be catching too many of his future movies. Ryan Gosling this guy isn't.

The story is slow moving, sentimental and corny. In fact I lost interest not that far in however my wife who watched this with me seemed far more engrossed in it. That just about sums up this film- if you are female and a romantic then you will probably love this. If you are a guy then this is one to endure only.

On the basis of fairness, I will give this a six based on the fact my wife loved it but in reality for a guy this is really a 3/10 film.

Sad but still happy somehow. I love it.

Author: AbysmalRayne from United States
30 November 2012

I loved this movie. It made me cry twice which is EXTREMELY rare considering I haven't cried in almost a year.

The story was amazing and heart wrenching. Channing Tatum convinced me every step of the way of all of his emotions. To watch him love her so intensely when she can't remember him at all was very difficult. The fact that he suffered in silence to avoid hurting her was astounding. He took all that heart break on so she could find herself on her own terms.

Rachel McAdams did an excellent job playing the confused and lost woman who is trying to remember all the things that changed everything about her. She truly seemed torn between the life she knew and the one she forgot.

All the things that changed everything about Paige, Paige's father cheating on her mother with Paige's friend, Jeremy trying to weasel his way back in by using her accident to his advantage, her sister and her friends acting as though the last five years didn't happen, all of these things were angering and frustrating. The tension that boiled within Leo mixed with the confusion that overwhelmed Paige and spilled out on the screen created turmoil within me as I watched them interact with each other and with the other characters. I didn't want to look away and was excited to see how it would turn out.

The ending was the saddest part for me. I can't imagine how it would feel to not remember the best years of my life. The great thing about it though was that even though Paige couldn't remember her love and happiness from the last five years, she didn't lose it. Meaning, she couldn't remember her life with Leo, but they still ended up together in the end. It's wonderful to know that in the true story the two of them are happily married and have two children together. It's wonderful to know that love endures for them.

"Moments of Impact Define Who We Are."

Author: jdp831 from United States
15 November 2012

The Vow is a romantic movie about the tragedy of a relationship between Paige and Leo after a fateful car accident, which causes Paige to lose her memory of the past five years of her life. The years lost, mainly included the knowledge of her current husband and her life. The love struck couple goes from having a giggly young love, to walking on thin ice. Leo soon realizes that his marriage with his true love is at stake and will stop at nothing to help Paige remember and rekindle their love. The main actors, Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams did a fantastic job of really stepping into the place of their roles. I genuinely believed that I was watching reality. Throughout this movie the director has Leo using personal dialogue at important moments and tuning out every sound that is going on around him. This highlights the major themes and ideas that go along throughout this movie. The car crash in the beginning was a very crucial moment for this movie. In order to capture this moment perfectly, the director filmed the accident in slow motion to emphasize how serious and life threatening this crash was. I really liked how the director played out the breaking point of Leo and Paige's relationship; I was not expecting it to happen the way it did. It broke my heart and made me sympathize with their situation. It was heartbreaking to see how much pain Leo was in to say goodbye to his "wife." This movie will keep you on the edge of your seat. Unlike other movies, the events in this movie are not what you would expect. There is suspense, romance, and heartbreak involved with the emotional effect of this movie. This movie will make the audience tap into their true feelings at one point or another, and at times the movie can even bring up memories of past or previous lovers. The Vow is an excellent movie, which fits right along with other popular movies such as; The Notebook, Dear John, The Last Song, and other famous Nicholas Sparks movies. All of these movies contain love stories with a tragedy involved that are well known and loved. Although I was upset and disappointed that Paige never regained her memory and didn't officially get back together with Leo in the movie, I was glad that the ending was not a predictable one. However, the ending did hint that Paige and Leo were going to "start over" and try again. The Vow is a romantic movie with an unexpected yet fitting ending. This movie is an overpowering example of true love and the deep connection two people feel for one another, despite obstacles that come in their paths.

I died and went to Hipster Hell. What did I do to deserve this?

Author: n-mo from Paris, France
13 August 2012

It's hard to conceive of a bigger waste of Rachel MacAdams, or a more revolting twist on a truly inspiring and touching story. Kim and Krickitt Carpenter are a down-to-Earth couple who loved life and whose faith helped them to navigate through the unknown and the unknowable. The movie wouldn't have had to include any explicit "faith" references to be truer to the real life story, but it would certainly have to have portrayed the protagonists as real humans.

Instead, "Paige" and "Leo" believe in nothing but their nauseating hipster subculture, what has rightly been called the dead end of Western civilization. And their marital union is as shallow as it comes. There's no sign of commitment to building a home or a family or even doing some greater work together apart from patronizing cool independent movies and quirky inner-city restaurants. What the heck kind of "vow" are they trying to uphold? These characters hold absolutely no firm convictions, and it shows in the weak-willedness with which they approach their marital vows.

Having said my piece about the concept, I'll turn to the production flaws. Tatum is dreadfully miscast - we would not expect a hukling, surly man to play such an insecure and rootless weasel as Leo -, and has absolutely no on-screen chemistry with MacAdams. The story is disjoint and completely unfocused. Paige's personal transmogrification backstory, when we learn of it, lacks believability, and what they do with that lacks even more believability. Still more aggravating is the cardboard cut-out nature of the family and friends she grew up around, (but then I suppose that's the way hipsters conceive of anyone who clings to something even slightly more perennial than their postmodern fake-cosmopolitain soup). The weak attempts to redeem and flesh out the "bad guys" (or some of them, at least) towards the end falls completely flat.

Living in South Florida in the middle of last decade and going through a phase where my friends and I devoured British, Irish and French movies with considerable regularity, I lamented at one point that "every recent European movie has to make it a point to show a man's a**." As "The Vow" makes it clear, of course, that point is no longer limited to the Europeans. But perhaps the mooning is rather appropriate... after all, the movie is one big moon in the face of an audience who (unfortunately I have to include myself in this) was dumb enough to shell out money to sit in front of this poubelle. Just as in Naples, the trash workers were on strike when this one was tossed out.

This is one of those Hollywood love stories that feels so manufactured and painfully bad that it tends to give all romances a bad name!

Author: Hellmant from United States
15 June 2012

'THE VOW': One Star (Out of Five)

This is one of those Hollywood love stories that feels so manufactured and painfully bad that it tends to give all romances a bad name, because these are the ones that do well at the box office for some depressing reason. This one is said to be based on a true story about a married couple involved in a car accident where the wife was injured so badly she received brain trauma which erased all memories of her husband and their entire relationship together. It stars Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum as the couple and was directed by Michael Sucsy, who's only previous directing experience is that of the HBO TV movie 'GREY GARDENS' (which also co-starred Jessica Lange, in this film she plays McAdams' mother). It was written by Marc Silverstein and Abby Kohn (who also co-wrote such popular bad film romances as 'VALENTINE'S DAY' and 'HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU') as well as Jason Katims and Stuart Sender (two TV writers). Like I said the movie is really bad and I like romances (but they have to have some emotion and actual heart).

McAdams plays Paige and Tatum plays Leo, a recently married couple who get in a car accident leaving a movie late one snowy night. Paige is hurt the worst, since she had removed her seatbelt at a stop sign to kiss Leo, and goes into a coma. When she comes out she has lost all memories of Leo and only remembers her life before him when she was still engaged to another man (Scott Speedman) and still getting along with her parents (Sam Neil and Jessica Lange). It turns out Paige used to be quite a different person as well, somewhat of a superficial law student rather than the free spirit hippy she had become. This of course causes problems with her believing she was ever in love with Leo and she doesn't understand why her life changed so drastically. Leo does everything he can to try and win Paige back but she wants most to return to her old ways.

The movie is a little hard to swallow: it's a little hard to believe that Paige's lifestyle and personality had changed so much in such a short time before the accident that when she loses her memory she's now an entirely different person! Paige is also extremely unlikeable in the film, really cold and unfriendly (after the accident), I couldn't understand why Leo would even want her back! While Leo is way too much of a likable good hearted guy; he's just a little too perfect. I've read that the actual couple found their love again through commitment to their faith and their belief in marriage, they were unhappy that that part of their story was left out of the film. As it is the film seems extremely forced; devoid of any real emotion and the characters and premise just seem so unnatural. The dialogue is horrible and the directing is atrocious; there's so many bad jokes and weak lines in the movie that it was painfully bad at times to watch. Minus a few scenes, like a shared fart scene between the couple, the movie had almost nothing to like about it. I've liked Tatum and McAdams in other films but here they were just bad (it seemed like they were only doing it for the money and had no actual interest in the result of a quality project). The movie is a complete waste and it really is a shame it did so well at the box office because now people will look to this as a prime example of how all Hollywood romances are (and more depressingly should be) produced.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2vhN3UBteY

'I vow to love you, and no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find a way back to each other.'

Author: gradyharp from United States
10 May 2012

Romance movies (often times referred to as Chick Flicks) have a tendency to be fodder for Kleenex advertisements: too often these movies are judged by how many times the lachrymal ducts give a stimulus response instead of the nature of the film itself. THE VOW for all intents and purposes seems and sound and looks like a Nicholas Sparks recipe film, but the fact that is NOT by Sparks should alert the audience that there may be more here than expected. Based on a true story, rendered by Stuart Sender and Jason Katims and adapted for the screen by Abby Kohn and Marc Silverstein, knowing that the concept is based on reality helps ground the film. Director Michael Sucsy (Grey Gardens) manages to keep this overly long film centered and allows each of the characters to become developed as people rather than clones.

Leo Channing Tatum in his most sensitive role to date) and Paige (Rachel McAdams) are a couple who just got married. After an accident, Paige is left unconscious, and when she awakes she doesn't remember Leo. Her physician (Wendy Crewson) reassures her that her memory will likely return if she resumes a normal life. Her parents (Sam Neill and Jessica Lange), whom she hasn't since she and Leo got together, come and visit her - a rather strange situation since Paige has not had contact with her parents since she left law school (we later find out why the personal motivations) and moved to the city (Chicago) to pursue a career as a sculptor. For some reason Paige remembers her parents and her old friends (including a sister (Jessica McNamee) with whom she broke ties five years ago, ditto an ex- boyfriend (Scott Speedman, remembered for his brilliant performance in 'The 24th Day') she abandoned. Leo and Paige's new family (Joey Klein, Joe Cobden and Shannon Barnett) want to bring her home with them but her parents demand she return to their expensive home to prepare for Paige's sisters wedding to a nice guy (Dillon Casey). She goes with Leo but when she doesn't recognize anything, she goes to her parents. When Paige returns to her parents she is puzzled as to why she left five years ago. Meanwhile Leo tries to win her back by courting her again. Secrets are uncovered and though Paige never regains her memory, her life does indeed change.

Though the film does indeed drag a bit at times and could have used a better editor, the actors bring this unusual story to life. No, it is not a great movie, but it is a solid one.

Grady Harp

Predictable

Author: Eduardo Sandrini from Berlin, Germany
14 April 2012

The Vows suffers from a problem all bad romantic comedies have, you can see things coming a mile away.

The Vow is based on a true story, where a young wife loses her memory (the last 4 years) and has to deal with being married to someone she doesn't even know anymore. The premise is quite interesting and has lots of potential. And the fact that is inspired by a true story makes it even more dramatic.

However none of that is put into practice. The characters are unidimensional, they are just way too perfect from the get go. And when someone new is introduced to the story, they only work as a source of conflict (like the over controlling father or the ex-boyfriend that is still in love with her after 4 years and is a detestable person).

All performances are also uninspiring and trivial with special negative emphasis to Channning Tatum's work.

If you are a big fan of rom-coms maybe you can still manage to enjoy your time with The Vow. Otherwise just skip this one.

Ummmm no.

Author: redcurtain107 from Austin, TX
26 February 2012

This movie was the worst. Channing Tatum is a guilty pleasure for me, I've gone out of my way to see almost all of his movies. This was even worse than Dear John, which is saying a lot. It has a lot in common with Dear John in the way that the story doesn't really go anywhere. The romantic storyline just peters out toward the end. Channing plays our lovable lunkhead hero, who loves his girl through hell and high water. But then suddenly, because the story demands it, he just gives up on her?? I thought this movie was supposed to be about them fighting to maintain their vows? Instead, he tried a bit, then it got hard, Rachel McAdams got her hair frosted and wore j.crew, and then they're signing the divorce papers. Wah wah. Not good. It never veered off into the 'l'amour fou' (crazy love) which is the magical element that made "The Notebook" the modern romantic movie to end all romantic movies. Still waiting for the new Notebook, Hollywood.

Dire!

Author: susankbunce
23 June 2012

I can't believe this movie is currently scoring 6.6.

If you want a 'chick flick' like the 100's out there that are churned out by Hollywood that are so 'samey' and totally forgettable 5 minutes after you've watched them, then this is for you.

I nearly fell asleep 3 times and even if I had I could have picked up the plot without a problem. Maybe I'm unusual that, unlike my girlfriends, I don't like this sort of 'fluff'.

If you like a film to leave you with something after you've watched it, other than feeling you've wasted 2 hours of your life do see it!

The cover shot should have warned me that this film was bad - lesson learnt.