IMDb > The Vow (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Vow

The Vow More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not even close to the true story

Author: Jack Vasen from Illinois
20 January 2017

Other than the facts that this almost newly-wed couple was in a serious car accident that nearly killed her and did take away her memory of the marriage, this story is nothing like the true story. There is one other similarity, but it is near the end and still not quite like the true story. I guess for Hollywood, you have to have villains, which reality had none of in this case. Personally, I think the differences make it a completely different story. However, the real life characters, according to their book, are not as disappointed. For the inaccuracies, I take away 4 stars. Make it more like the book and it is an extremely touching story. 8 stars. I always like Rachel McAdams (except maybe Mean Girls and you were supposed to hate her). In this movie, she was a woman you could root for, but she either didn't, or wasn't allowed to, play the wife's confusion strongly enough. (Maybe time compression was the factor in that.) Paige was also not as committed to the vow as in real life. Channing Tatum did a good job of maintaining Leo's integrity and faithfulness.

A "Hopeless Romantics" Dream

Author: Breanna Spohn
4 October 2016

Imagine a sad love story. The husband loses his wife of seventy-plus years to cancer or a wife becomes a widow after her husband is killed in war. These are stories that might have come to mind. And notice they have a very similar theme—losing a loved one. Most sad love stories carry this same theme, but what about a love story that has that same theme, but in a different way? What if, for example, the husband doesn't lose his wife physically, but instead loses her mentally and emotionally? This is the idea behind Michael Sucsy's movie "The Vow." When a couple from Chicago are in an accident that causes Paige (Rachel McAdams) to forget her life with Leo (Channing Tatum), we are caught in this emotional roller-coaster as Leo tries to get his wife to fall in love with him again. The amount of emotion this movie inflicts on its viewers is what makes it a "hopeless romantics" dream. Almost every scene causes some kind of emotion to be felt by the audience—whether it's anger, sadness, or even love. The actors take partial credit for making this movie so emotionally provoking. First, is the way actors react to each other. They really make the audience believe they are in love—or upset with each other. Whether it's Tatum's shy smile to something McAdams says, the way McAdams gazes into Tatum's eyes, or the hurt in Tatum's face when McAdams doesn't recognize him. Every interaction between the two actors seems real—which helps make the movie come to life. Secondly, is how the actors play their own roles to a tea. McAdams does a great job playing the "confused girl" role. From her facial expressions to the believable uncertainty in her voice to the way she stands—her arms crossed in an insecure and scared way. Tatum also does a wonderful job playing the loving and needy husband by, for example, how he speaks softer when he's talking to McAdams. The impeccable acting is what helps viewers feel a part of the movie. The actors make the emotions feel so believable that the viewers take on the same emotions themselves. One of the most important aspects of the movie, though, is how the plot is arranged. The movies' beginning sets up an immediate emotional connection to Leo and Paige. People fall in love with the couple within the first few minutes of the movie and then are crushed when the tragic accident happens. This connection forces viewers to stay engaged in the movie to see what happens next to their favorite couple. The plot also keeps an important detail "hidden" throughout the movie until the end, which allows for a sense of surprise for viewers when they finally find out what has happened. This movie is probably not meant for everyone. Some people are not "hopeless romantics." Yet, this movie gives its viewers the opportunity to see a concept that is so widely known and yet is so rarely believed: "love conquers all." It's hard to watch this movie and NOT feel a connection to it. Viewers will want to dive right in and feel what the characters feel and see what the characters see. People will root for the good guy (Leo), boo the bad guy (Jeremy), and sometimes they will want to punch Paige in the face. They might cry, they will definitely laugh, and if at some point they don't get a little "love" feeling from the movie, there's something wrong with them.

McAdams shines in this true life rom-com

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
8 January 2016

Rachel McAdams is a class act, able to mix Comedy and Drama effortlessly, so this film is good because it allows her to be able to show off both sides.

This isn't the best film she's ever made, it falls into too many cliché's but it is an engaging story with a lot of heart behind it.

Her chemistry with Channing Tatum is a pleasant surprise and he himself shows that he is able to show much more emotion than I had seen previous.

There are lots of 'friend' characters who don't add much but when McAdams and Tatum are in scenes together this becomes better than the run of the mill rom-com.

unforgettable performance by Rachel

Author: RavenGlamDVDCollector from South Africa
14 September 2015

First off, slightly disappointed by movie. Expected another IF ONLY (Jennifer Love Hewitt)*, and this it sure ain't. I don't know why, 'cause Rachel gives a fine performance, so it's nothing wrong at her side. But something lacks. I got totally caught up in the aforementioned title, and that one's a weepy, and I can get really emotional too, but this one didn't bring the same reaction.

*Okay, that one is something completely different, but this movie was advocated to me by someone who enjoyed IF ONLY as well, both these titles are intensely emotional, they are in the same class.

Am amazed by the callousness of some people. Listening to the Director's Commentary, I especially noted that he mentioned that he guarded against Paige sounding bitchy. That it should be clear that her emotional turmoil comes from her uncertainty. But there are actually people out here on the Board Comments who do not understand the severity of Paige's trauma. Hell, guys, her recent memory's wiped out, and now she has to go home with a guy she doesn't remember. Of course she would be edgy. But notice how she keeps apologizing. Clearly still every bit the very nice girl. Like I said, nothing wrong with Rachel's performance. And she's more than darling!

Also mentioned on the Director's Commentary is that Rachel has one of the warmest smiles in Hollywood. Genuine. And, yes, the most exhilarating factor about this movie, is Rachel's lovely face, those soulful (blue?) eyes, the pearly-white teeth, but more than the beauty, the radiantly affectionate features. She is huggable to the highest degree, and that's putting it mildly. My favorite scene is that bit where they are at the lake, and when she's uncertain about what's going to be expected of her, because sex is definitely not on the cards yet.

One terrible complaint about the DVD: Guys, you whet our appetites with the lovely full-screen menu design, but then the movie hits the screen only in letterbox format, and all that glorious detail in close-up is lost. While wide-screen versions are essential, please give us the added luxury of full-screen as well. Just look at that menu page and see how drab the same scenes appear by comparison. And I'm not just talking about the frolicking-in-the-lake sequence. I am super-hooked on her charming face! From the moment I saw the menu page!

Very nice movie. Ultra-nice actress. Good script. Nice try. Ain't love grand?

Confusing My Heart

Author: alix sullivan from United States
10 July 2015

This movie was so confusing. The beginning is wonderful and beautiful. It makes you laugh. Then the world comes crashing down and it's heart-wrenching. I loved it and hated it all at the same time. I kept wishing she would be more understanding and willing to try. Leo (Channing Tatum) was working so hard and being so patient, but she would get flustered and stamp her foot and run away. It was frustrating to watch Paige (Rachel McAdams) turn him away and try to go back to her old life, something comfortable. She didn't seem to listen to the doctor and try to regain her memory. She was afraid of her life and the unknown. I was glad that it ended with them starting again, but after all that she put him through, I was angry with it. The ending wasn't enough. It left me wanting more. I wanted a scene or to at the end to jump ahead in time and show them together. Granted, it shows a picture of the real couple with two kids, but it wasn't enough. I rate it a 7/10 because it was a good enough movie with excellent actors to bring out all these emotions in me. I was able to feel the happiness and anger and sadness that you should be able to feel while watching any movie. It was excellent and terrible all in one. Excellent because the story was wonderfully handled. Terrible because the story was frustrating.

I actually liked it

Author: claudiatroglia from Argentina
9 July 2015

I really liked this film, a fact for which I was heavily criticized by my family and friends. I found it sad, sweet and touching. Maybe this has to do with the fact that I was pregnant when I saw it, but I actually cried a lot!

The story itself is no mystery, we know beforehand how it's going to end, but if it had a different ending, if these two people didn't get back together in the end, it would be heart breaking, and not worth watching. And besides, it's a romantic movie...let's just say the genre is not famous for its surprise ending. We know what we are about to watch, and that's why we watch them. All in all, decent script, solid performances, specially by Rachel McAddams, sad yet romantic story, feel good ending. Worth watching.

Channing and McAdams Vow to Deliver Romance.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
6 May 2015

The Vow (2012): Dir: Michael Sucsy / Cast: Channing Tatum, Rachel McAdams, Scott Speedman, Sam Neill, Jessica Lange: Romantic tear jerker that highlights the very commitment promised in marriage, and the fight to obtain it. Effective concept stars Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams as a young couple who are involved in an accident that leaves her in a coma. When she awakens she cannot remember the last five years of her life, including her marriage to Tatum. This becomes a struggle as he attempts to help her remember who she was, all the while spiralling into a predictable formula that often becomes corny. It really tests our intelligence during scenes where she differs from elements in her life that she previously enjoyed, such as the whole tickling bit. Then the film finds forgiveness in an ending that actually works better than not. The film is well directed by Michael Sucsy with terrific locations, but the strength of the film depends largely on its leads. Tatum delivers a strong performance as the owner of a recording studio who must figure out how to make his wife fall in love with him again. McAdams is equally strong as a woman trying to figure herself out. She remembers being a law student yet Tatum attempts to cue her into her transformation towards art. Weak supporting roles featuring Scott Speedman as that ex-boyfriend she was engaged to, and her conniving parents who do little more than meddle and pass judgement. Sam Neill and Jessica Lange are a total over the top embarrassment as the parents. It celebrates two hearts struggling to regain broken pieces. Score: 7 / 10

Sad story

Author: brunettewarrior from United States
16 January 2015

I give this film 6 out of 10 stars. I found it to be so so sad. I wanted to see more of Paige and Leo's life together before the accident. I wanted to see it how it came to be in the beginning, rather than through her eyes again.

I was so depressed watching this movie, but I did it because I am a fan of McAdams and Tatum. I wish I could come up with more positive things to say, but I do find myself wondering why we are presented this story. Is it meant to give us hope that if we lose ourselves we can eventually find ourselves again? That love is eternal?

Perhaps if the story was culled out more to where I could fully connect to Paige and Leo's beginning I could appreciate where they ended here.

Good

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
10 June 2014

The Vow stars Channing Tatum as a devoted husband who's wife Paige played by Rachel McAdams from The Notebook was involved in a car accident (from the opening of the movie where Paige takes off her seat belt and kisses her husband all until the lorry driver comes along and crashes into their car leaving her to go right threw the window screen) that left her having no memory of her husband Leo(Tatum) at all. So every day Leo has to try and woo his wife all over again(like 50 first dates,but like Remember Sunday with Zachary Levi as its a drama NOT a comedy on memory loss). So can Leo ever get back his wife? and will Paige go back to live with her parents played by Sam Neil(who's charcther was a complete douchbag in this movie) and Jessica Lange (who I think was in Hush with Gwen Patrow).

Overall yes this movie is clichéd and not that great but hey I enjoyed the performances from Rachel and Channing who had amazing chemistry in this movie and the story to its credit is nice too. Also the backgrounds are nice too in this movie.

Overall if you love your romantic dramas and true life stories(by the way this movie is based on a true story so it did happen in real life) than check it out.

Love Renewed!!!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
29 May 2014

"The Vow" is an ideal chick flick with more than enough sap. The three handkerchief story concerns a young married couple that are struck by a truck during a snowy night in Chicago. The hero and heroine are kissing when the truck driver stomps his brakes and skids headlong like a freight train into the rear of their car. The impact of the crash shoves their car into a utility pole. Leo (Channing Tatum of "White House Down") remains in the vehicle because he is strapped in, but Paige (Rachel McAdams of "The Time Traveler's Wife") is buckled up. She smashes through the windshield in a shower of safety glass and ends up on the hood. She doesn't recover as quickly as her husband. She has temporary memory loss and doesn't recognize her husband. Leo spends the remainder of "The Vow" contending with not only Paige's amnesia but also her possessive parents who want her to do what they believe is best. Paige left law school and moved to Chicago to train at the Art Institute. She meets Leo. She encourages Leo to build a recording studio. No sooner has Paige recovered from the accident than her mother Rita (Jessica Lange of "King Kong") and her father Bill (Sam Neill of "The Hunt for Red October") move in for the kill. Paige gives Leo a chance, but she is so discombobulated by the experience of meeting their old friends at a surprise Paige party that she goes back to live with her parents. Jeremy (Scott Speedman of "Underworld") is Paige' former boyfriend who she left. As Paige recovers her memory, she understands why she left her parents and lost respect for her mother. In a double whammy, Paige's father was cheating with one of her girlfriends and her mother refused to leave him. Leo really has to struggle to win Paige back, and audiences will love the lover-all-over-again romance. Tatum and McAdams make a cute couple.