IMDb > The Vow (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Unexpectedly Good, Worth The Money

Author: skitz1015 from United States
29 January 2012

Basically, if you're a romantic drama type, you'll love this movie. I'm NOT a romantic drama type, and I still enjoyed it immensely. The shining star, no pun intended, for me was Channing Tatum. He added so much subtle, and sometimes not-so-subtle, comedy to the movie. The ending was also not expected but I was satisfied with it. That said though, I could have easily watched another 30 minutes of this. No one was ready for it to end and that's a good sign. The plot is what it is, being based on a true story and all. It felt like the screenwriters and director wanted to stay close to the actual events and it worked. I would have paid for this and been happy. Romance drama fans will be pleased. Non romance drama fans will be pleased.

More than a Chick Flick

Author: Rola2 from United States
3 February 2012

When I went with my two friends to see this movie, I thought we were in for a ladies night out and a teary chick flick. I was pleasantly surprised. The drama and dialog were very believable and realistic, and it was pleasingly funny in places. The fact that the setting was clearly Chicago without any effort to try and hide street signs and restaurant placards only added to the charm and believability of the movie. Quickly into the film I was wishing I was friends with this couple and could hang out with them and be part of their lives. When the credits started rolling I desired our relationship to continue. O.k. maybe I had a couple of tears, but I would definitely see this movie again and take my husband. After seeing the number of men in the audience who enjoyed it, I think he would feel comfortable attending and glad that he went.

It's a wonderful movie

Author: Rudy from United States
11 February 2012

The Vow is a wonderful little movie. At first blush, the movie seemed like it's another 50 First Dates, but without the comedy. The only similarity to 50 First Dates is that both the female leads suffer from amnesia with their respective significant others trying to win her heart. The Vow actually comes across having a feel more like The Notebook.

It's the story of the romance between Leo (Channing Tatum) and Paige (Rachel McAdams), and who are victims of a car accident. Leo recovers, but Paige emerges with no memories of her whole relationship nor marriage to Leo, and he must now make her fall in love with him again. In her mind, as Leo says in one of the trailers for this movie, she's still engaged to her ex-fiancé.

The movie manages to avoid cheap Hollywood writing, and gently leads you down its plot. Just when you think you might know where the story is going, it heads in a different direction. Details are revealed to you layer by layer as Paige discovers them. Tatum's voice-over was somewhat annoying, and unnecessary.

In trying to remember her memories, Paige manages to gain a new life. Opening in time for Valentine's Day, this makes for a wonderful date-night movie.

Weak Take on Great Romantic Comedy Story

Author: Richard Reilly (FFman@comcast.net) from Colorado
15 February 2012

The Vow was made for the Valentine's Day audience. As I went into this movie on the evening of February 14th, the theatre was packed with couples. This movie gave them exactly what they paid for. There were plenty of cute moments that make you say, "ahhhhhh." There strange nostalgic moments that makes you realize exactly how much time Rachel McAdams forgot (wait for the moment when she turns to Channing Tatum and asks him who the President of the United States is).

This movie delivered for the audience at large. But several problems persist. For such a unique perspective on memory loss, The Vow falls into the flow of the average romantic comedy. As the core of the storyline develops (which strangely reminds me of Terri Schiavo), I can't help but feel like I have seen this before. There were so many interesting possibilities that a memory-loss movie could pursue. Instead, the writing team (which is known for big star movies such as He's Just Not That Into You and Valentine's Day) decides to take the safe route. The writing team stops this movie from being great.

Despite its problems, The Vow relies heavily on its actors. With Rachel McAdams, Channing Tatum, Sam Neill, and Scott Speedman (who I still see as the romantic interest from the TV hit "Felicity), relying so heavily on your actors is perfectly alright. Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum have a chemistry that I didn't expect. This chemistry drives the storyline forwards and leads to several dramatic and hilarious scenes that will surprise you.

I need to make a note about movies that are "Based on a True Story." It's difficult to take these story lines at face value. By basing a story on true events, the producers are hoping that you will not look too far into the plausibility of the situation. When you compare the movie with the true events, however, the differences are immense. Namely, the movie makes the crash result in one problem: the loss of several years of memories. In reality, the woman what badly hurt and also suffered from severe short term memory loss. The possibility of losing several years of memories and not haven't any other physical side-effects (aside form a tiny scar around her eyes) is almost entirely impossible.

The Vow is cute enough to enjoy at face-value. If you are looking for a movie to simply enjoy and not think too deeply, this is the movie for you. 2012 has been an awful year for Romantic Comedies. One for the Money was dreadful. This Means War promises to be almost as bad. If you are pining for a romantic comedy, this will fill your appetite until the first great one of the year is released. Looking over the list of romantic comedies to be released, however, there isn't much. My money is on the new American Pie movie.

So why don't you cry?

Author: Quietb-1 from United States
14 February 2012

The movie doesn't touch you at the right level so you don't cry. It's the kind of story you know how it has to end so you're waiting too long for Paige and Leo to get back together.

The film requires plenty of just go with it. From the "here's a reason to take off my seat belt" to the tap to the back of the car that launches Paige through the windshield, things seemed so written. Add to this Leo showing up in the hospital with a tea shirt cut like, and in the color of scrubs to look like a doctor.

The story about what turned Paige into a rebel complete with tattoo seemed forced. If she was upset with her parents, why didn't she maintain a relationship with her sister?

Good performances make it watchable especially if you don't think too much. Jessica Lange is well past the stage of King Kong bait. No reason to see it in a theater, wait for cable or DVD.

Cute and Charming

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3 November 2012

In Chicago, Paige (Rachel McAdams) and Leo (Channing Tatum) have just married and they are in love for each other. In a snowing night, they have a car accident and Paige has a serious head injury and stays in coma. When she awakes, she has partial recollection of her life until five years ago and she does not recognize Leo.

Her estranged parents Rita (Jessica Lange) and Bill Thornton (Sam Neill) use the unusual situation to bring Paige back home. Leo decides to woo her again to have his wife back, but her ex-fiancé Jeremy (Scott Speedman) is courting Paige and she does not know why she had broken with him.

"The Vow" is a cute movie based on a true story. The cast is great, with Jessica Lange, Sam Neill and Scott Speedman in supporting roles. The charming Rachel McAdams performs a character that had completely changed her personality from a silly Valley girl dominated by her wealthy parents to a cool artist, but after the accident she returns to her previous behavior; however the role of Leo deserved a better actor. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Para Sempre" ("Forever")

I wanted to love this movie really I did!

Author: samsumm1992 (samsumm1992@gmail.com) from United States
10 March 2012

I saw the trailer and immediately thought chick flick something good to see with the girls or drag my boyfriend too. And sitting in the theater as the credits are rolling the only thing going through my mind was that I felt jipped. It's nothing like how it seems in the trailer. The trailer makes it out that she's working with Leo to regain her memory and eventually fall back in love with him. And it is like the last 20 minutes! The rest of the time you just want to punch her because she's acting like a little brat unwilling to even consider the reasons or facts about her being with Leo. She basically blows him off and acts like he doesn't even matter. Redbox it is my suggestion.

Surprisingly Cold And Emotionless

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
12 November 2012

For a story that seems tailor-made to be a tug at your heartstrings, tearjerker kind of movie (and it's inspired by an actual story of a woman who loses her memory of her husband after a car crash and falls in love with him all over again, so how could this miss?) it is surprisingly weak in the emotion department. The problems begin with the lack of any discernible chemistry between Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum (who play Paige and Leo - the fictional couple who go through that nightmare scenario) and it continues with weak acting and a bunch of important characters who are just totally unlikable. The only part of the movie that came across to me as raw with emotion was when Leo slugged Jeremy in the face. I'd have done the same thing under the circumstances. But it made me wonder why this movie had to be populated with such imbecilic characters.

Sam Neill as Paige's father and Jessica Lange as her mother are nothing short of manipulative as they try to turn their daughter's horrible accident and memory loss to their own advantage, actively trying to cut Leo out of their daughter's life, and Jeremy (Scott Speedman) is no less manipulative. The downright ugliness of those characters certainly raises up in the viewer a desire for things to work out for Leo and Paige, but they don't make the movie enjoyable. McAdams struck me as lost through most of this - her portrayal of Paige and her situation just not coming across as believable, and Tatum didn't especially impress me either.

The basic concept has been seen before. Think "50 First Dates" (although this is more serious than that) or "Regarding Henry" (although this is less serious than that.) What this should have going for it is the "inspired by true events" angle, but frankly that gets done so much now that I don't think anyone takes it all that seriously. I'm glad it worked out for the real life couple whose story did inspire this. I just wish this movie had itself been a bit more inspiring. (2/10)

Ultimately a depressing and spirit-killing rag of a movie.

Author: pencritical
26 April 2012

The movie is blah and pretty boring. There is zero chemistry between the stars. The set director seems to think messy is what an authentic apartment in the city looks like and the whoever was in charge of wardrobe should be made to wear those hideous outfits for the next year.

The only reason this didn't get a one from me is that it really does capture that "hometown in the big city" essence of some of the neighborhoods in Chicago.

The following contains general spoilers, not specifics.

What really turned me off about this movie was that anyone thought this story was inspiring enough to put it on screen. I was shocked when I found out it was based proudly on a real story. Let me tell you I would not want to know the woman who was the inspiration for Paige.

The movie portrayed Paige after the accident, but they don't really show us much of what she as like before the accident. The few glimpses give us the impression that she was a woman who loved life and honored the bond of marriage. I don't buy it. Losing your memory may change things, but, it does not change your underlying personality. Paige didn't turn into a selfish, uncaring _itch. She probably always was one.

A decent woman would have put some effort into recovering her marriage and would have, at the very least, had some respect for the man she was married to. This woman didn't care that she was ripping this poor man's heart out. She cared for no one but herself. At least as far as the movie was concerned, she never gave much thought to anyone but herself. She was, after all, not the only one who was going through a traumatic, life-changing experience and she was not the only one injured in the car crash. If this story is actually true, my heart goes to the woman's real family.

This should never have been immortalized in film. It is the very epitome of the "me" generation.

The best part of the movie for me was when the end credits finally started rolling so we could leave.

Nice romantic movie

Author: MovieCriticMarvelfan from california
3 February 2012

The movie will definitely put a smile on your face. It's a romantic drama with a few brushes of comedy thrown in.

Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum play a young married couple whose lives take a tragic fate when they suffer a head on car accident.

McAdams's character isn't horribly disfigured or anything like that, but she suffer brain trauma which has blocked all memory of Tatum's character Leo.

Leo tries to get regain her memory by trying to have her fall in love with him again.

It's true that these types of movies aren't original, but that doesn't bother me too much as long as the product is good.

The performances are excellent, Channing and Rachel have great chemistry and supporting cast from Sam Neil to Jessica Lange is more than adequate.

All it's just a nice romantic movie.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]