IMDb > Midnight in Paris (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Midnight in Paris

Midnight in Paris More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 55: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Love this movie!!!!!

Author: LiquidPoetry1921 from United States
25 March 2017

I knew one minute into this film when they spoke of my favorite book, 'A Moveable Feast' by Ernest Hemingway, that this movie was going to be something special...and I was NOT disappointed!!!

Owen Wilson plays Gil Pender, an aspirating novelist vacationing in Paris with his shallow fiancée (Rachel McAdams). He has a romantic side that yearns to walk through the Parisian boulevards in the rain ~ which she totally dismisses as 'boring'. This leads him to wander the streets at night by himself...which is when all the magic happens!

Gil is transported by an 'old' Peugeot to 1920's Paris each evening ~ where he encounters the likes of everyone from Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, to Gertrude Stein, to Hemingway himself! It was so much fun to see what historical figure would appear next ~ and sharing Gil's joy in meeting everyone from Pablo Picasso to T.S Eliot!

I was certain that Woody Allen's movie 'Zelig' was my all-time favorite film of his...but if so, 'Midnight in Paris' certainly runs a very CLOSE second!

Midnight and Paris: nostalgia, romance, architecture and modernity

Author: Lucas Coelho Netto from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
19 March 2017

Paris is a character of its own history. The city's mark is on the overlay of architectural styles and monuments from different eras. The Parisian blocks are a sort of timeline that allows us to understand it culturally and get even more interested on Woody Allen's perception of Paris as a nostalgic city. The initial sepia scenes with instrumental music and a background jazz song are the first reference the director makes to the past. The following scenes are mostly based on Owen Wilson's romantic American writer character view and perception.

During the movie, characters assure it would be better to live in a different age; the Golden Age. This nostalgia that structures the whole movie is defined by the dictionary as a "a feeling of pleasure and also slight sadness when you think about things that happened in the past". The narrow streets, low- rise buildings, big squares and wide boulevards, orange chimneys over the bluish gray roofs compose a scenario that can teleport the viewer - literally. It's definitely not a coincidence that Allen chose to film a movie with this theme in Paris.

Nostalgia is mostly associated with a wish to recover the time before modernism and it is a relation between an unsatisfactory present and the past as an escape valve. According to Baudelaire, it is to thrive for an ideal present and its lost potential; Instead of searching for the perfect past era. Therefore, Paris is more than just the scenario of the movie. It is the character that makes all the time-traveling possible.

On Gil's first trip to the modernist Paris – that happens without any explanation or logic – he meets great figures as the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway and Cole Porter. The surrealism of living on two different eras is stressed ironically when Owen Wilson's character meets Man Ray, Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí at a bar: "You inhabit two worlds. So far I see nothing strange."

Allen's screenplay and the well-played parts by Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams transcend the present and even the movie screen to intrigue viewers to think about Paris itself. At the same time the nostalgia and time-traveling idealize a romantic past age of the city, it makes us think about its present and future. As french architect Portzamparc once said, should we promote a further development of Paris or, mostly, preserve it?

Screenwriter and aspiring novelist vacations in Paris with his fiancé. Tours the city alone. Each night makes him more dissatisfied with the present.

Author: agustinacarrillo
22 May 2016

This is a romantic comedy set in Paris.A young couple who is engaged to be married have experiences there that change their lives. A young man's great love for Paris in the springtime. The illusion people have that a life different from theirs would be much better.Gil, a screenwriter from Hollywood dreams of someday writing a good novel and following in the steps of the legends of Paris in the 1920's. His fiancé, Inez, on the other hand with her pompous and snooty behavior wants to control him and rather not live in Paris after their wedding. Gil's journey and self realization comes into effect on the night he wanders off on his own.Sitting on steps as the clock strikes midnight. Gil encounters a group of people who seem familiar as they sweep him along, apparently back in time, for a night with some of the 1920s icons of art and literature.This fantasy he has is his wish fulfillment. The beauty he sees in the other women of many of the famous artists in that time, Adriana, is what he wants in Inez.It makes him realize what he needs to change in his present in order for him to succeed in what he wants for the future.

Midnight in Paris

Author: johnispham from United States
22 May 2016

One night in Paris, Gil, the protagonist, decides to go for a walk. During his walk, he discovers a way to time travel back to the 1920s, which is a time period that he believes he was supposed to be born in. Traveling back to the 1920s, Gil meets the great writers of this time: Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, and many others. He also encounters the great artists of this time: Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dalí. Gil, who is struggling with the writing of his novel, seeks advice from these writers and artists, mainly Gertrude Stein. Gertrude Stein reads over his novel and gives him advice, which he takes and uses to fix his novel. As a result, Stein tells him his novel is turning out great. During his stay in the 1920s, he falls in love with a woman named Adriana, even though he is engaged to another woman. Similar to Gil, Adriana has a "Golden Age," which is a time period that is preferred over the present. Her present is the 1920s, but her "Golden Age" is the 1890s. Because of the difference in their time preferences, the two cannot be together. Furthermore, the woman that Gil is engaged to has a love for the present, and Gil has a love for the 1920s. Therefore, Gil finds himself breaking up with his fiancé in the end. Whatever happens with Gil's novel is still unknown. That is where the audience is left hanging.

The acting and the dialogue was on point. I could definitely see Ernest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, and Salvador Dalí in the actors; this is how I imagined these people to be. Since the acting and the dialogue was on point, I felt a connection with Gil: I wanted to live in the 1920s and strike up conversations with these writers and artists. The comedy helped to make the movie less serious and more enjoyable to watch. But without the comedy, the movie would have been very plain. Most of the time, the plot was not predictable. At other times, the plot was predictable and cliché. It might have been better if there was more of a focus on Gil's progress in writing his novel. For most movies nowadays, there is the love aspect, which had a small presence in this movie. If there is a love aspect to a movie, the love should have a strong appearance. But in Midnight in Paris, love seems to be a small thing. Overall, Midnight in Paris seems to be mostly about visiting the 1920s. Therefore, there seems to be not much of a plot. What is the main point of this movie? It is possible that Gil can be a reflection of our nostalgic selves. We all feel nostalgic at times.

So....it's a time travel movie after all

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
2 October 2015

It's weird for me that most of the story's ingredients didn't really interest me much. Despite with all those big names in the cast list I didn't really feel that it makes the story as a whole the more interesting. One thing that interested me the most is whether the whole thing is only Gil's imagination or what. And the movie did enough to show that it's actually a magical time travel movie after all. The thing is, just like many other Woody Allen movies, this one explored so many plot branches that becomes significant enough at the ending but this movie didn't give any of them justice in terms of solving them. This movie has many characters but they don't really develop much. The movie only relies on initial impressions of the characters much like they're monotonous in their life or experiences. The acting overall felt really decent. With all those bigger names in the cast list, it's strange that only Owen Wilson gets to do significant parts. That said, Owen's acting really is eclipsed by the potential that other cast members can have here but didn't do.

"Isn't It Romantic?"

Author: mphilipm-528-155137 from United States
20 July 2015

This film will appeal to individuals with a certain orientation and background. If you feel the term "romantic" applies in your case, you will likely enjoy this movie. And if you are steeped in the romance of the Jazz Age and Belle Epoque you will likely love it. I saw it around the time it came out and just now again. Watching it this time, I appreciated the fact that Mr. Allen cast another actor to be his protagonist. The persona he affected on the screen was limiting as the novelty wore off. Having someone else in the lead makes him much more an Everyman given the context. I found the other actors successful in their roles but, as the late Roger Ebert pointed out, Kathy Bates is especially outstanding as Gertrude Stein completely fulfilling my idea of what Stein must have been like. If the times and place portrayed in this movie resonate with you already, you are in for a treat. If not, it's "Oh, no--not liver and onions again!"

One of My Favorite Movies

Author: Byung Hyun Park from South Korea
15 June 2015

Midnight in Paris has been one of my favorite films for a long time. It is a beautiful, thoughtful and artistic movie with a lot of fantasy, humor and irony. It impressed me and made me think about life in a very different way than any other movies have before because this movie taught me the importance of the present. It is even difficult to describe all the emotions I had after watching it.

In this movie directed by Woody Allen, Owen Wilson plays the role of Gil Pender who is an American screenwriter who travels to Paris with his fiancée and her family. Wilson is amazing in the role of the nostalgic and romantic writer who is longing for living in a different era and tries to write a novel. One night, as Gil is walking around on the streets of Paris, he finds himself on a magical journey back to the 1920s which is his favorite historical time. From this time on, he goes back to the 1920s every night at midnight. He meets Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Picasso, Hemingway, Dali, Gertrude Stein and many more famous artists that he loves and idolizes. The artists are all played by amazing actors such as Adrien Brody and Kathy Bates. Gil Pender also meets a beautiful lady, Adriana, and they start to have romantic feelings for each other. However he realizes that he cannot live in the past anymore and should embrace and accept the time he lives in. I think this movie is on the fine line between a romantic comedy and an art film with a beauty of color that we can see in most of Woody Allen's movies.

I would recommend Midnight in Paris to people who would like to see a peculiar movie with a fantasy world that takes us back to the past. It is very interesting to imagine and see how the most famous artists lived their everyday lives, but it is also important to have some background knowledge to fully understand and appreciate this movie. It is definitely not for everyone and may be even boring for people without enough background information. However, by the end of this movie I think we can better appreciate our present and see how important it is to stay more realistic and work for our goals in our everyday life.

Little more than an inventive romcom - even Owen Wilson is in it.

Author: Aaron West from London, England
26 May 2014

An enchanting Parisian ode to the artisans of past. The ensemble cast is expertly used, making the audience simultaneously recognise the on-screen talent and the talent on-screen.

Unfortunately Woody Allen's direction is utterly stagnant and unevocative - I would have much preferred an 'In the Mood for Love' approach to the film. But instead, a celebrous romp. Owen Wilson, I find placid and stolid (again), maybe good for the role, but maybe the wrong role for the film.

Also, for a film about a man deeply entranced and influenced, Woody Allen's script is utterly uninspired and unevocative and only truly reminiscent. Dissolving into a half-assed abstract love triangle.

Great for any lover of art (references), Paris and the 1920s though.

Woody Allen defining "Art" and "Artist" taking you back to the "Golden Era" of Paris

Author: Ammar-Mnla-Hasan from Syria
13 April 2014

Escaping his life as a successful and under-demand Hollywood screenwriter, Gil Pender (Owen Wilson) travels with his fiancé Inez (Rachel McAdams) to Paris trying to write a novel and make a real contribution to art, only to find himself going back a 100 years of time, to be surrounded by the artists of the "Golden Era".

In his 41st movie, director and screenwriter Woody Allen leaves his most common two topics (love and death) aside, to discuss the art and the definition of the artist. And in order to achieve his purpose and deliver his idea, he uses, as usual, a stars-full and perfectly selected cast, from Adrien Brody playing Salvador Dali, to Kathy Bates playing Gertrude Stein.

The costumes and decoration was chosen very properly to go along with the setting, which is Paris at the 20's. The Soundtrack was also chosen the same way, with an elegant mixture of classic Cole Porter and Sydney Bechet. But my favorite part was the Oscar-winning screenplay that succeeded to present a huge amount of valuable ideas using nothing more than a smooth, down to earth, day-to-day chats between very well-drawn characters.

In total, Midnight in Paris is one of Allen's best movies, mixing all sorts of art in a smooth enjoyable way. I absolutely highly recommend it.

A film I feel really take me on a journey

Author: (ollie-hoolachan) from Manchester
25 February 2014

This has to be one of the best Woody Allen films,It was this film that made me a Woody Allen fan. After watching Midnight in Paris it inspired me to read all of his books.Now I don't know if this is because Owen Wilsons character is a writer or just because I was fascinated by the concept of film. I believe its a really unique idea of a man that sits down in Paris and can be back into the 1920s.

The film takes you on an exciting journey with Owen Wilson's character as he doesn't just explore his own fantasies of meeting legendary authors he also discovers more about himself and what is happening in his life.

I would definitely recommend this film to anyone as I believe its a film that can be viewed multiple films and it still be entertaining.