IMDb > Caught Inside (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Caught Inside

Caught Inside More at IMDbPro »

Very believable and nifty little Aussie thriller.

Author: cadeland2002 from Sydney, Australia
11 June 2010

I saw this on the first public screening so there were cast and crew there and the mood in the room of the general public in attendance was very supportive which made it for a very enjoyable experience on the whole.

Though Ben Oxenbould's performance is the stand out for me, the rest of the cast are also incredibly good and deserve much praise. What I liked most about this film was the believability of the characters, even the villain is someone you can imagine existing (and in school days I'm sure some of us met one or two people who were destined to turn out like the villain!). I very much enjoyed how characters acted in a such realistic manner. One of the male characters is completely de-masculinised throughout the villains reign and unable to protect the other characters, or his girlfriend, which was quite innovative and just screamed of authenticity. Too many films are full of testosterone fuelled 5 minute fight scenes, where as this films fights were clumsy and awkward, as they would be in real life.

The 'hero' of the piece (I can't remember the names properly but the brown haired fit looking guy who starts a romance with Sam) is written very well in not being too tough either, he's masculine, and brave, but he's no Vin Diesel, he's just a human trapped in a desperate situation doing the best he can.

My only criticism is that perhaps it took too long to get to the meaty part of the film when the villain takes control of the boat. The last movie of this type I saw was Donkeypunch, and though that was good in a popcorn movie kinda way, 'Caught Inside' is ahead of a lot of thrillers is the completely believable behaviour and realistic and natural dialogue, which in turn makes for some quite edge of your seat moments.

As an indie Australian film the cast and crew have done incredibly well in pulling together this enjoyable and tense little film and I'd definitely be proud to see it go overseas and do the indie festival circuits.

Ben Oxenbould is a standout in this well crafted suspense thriller ....

Author: JOHN_REID from Australia
2 December 2011

Caught Inside is a taught psychological thriller set on a Surfing Safari in the Maldives with a thought provoking script that revolves around a central character who is not unlike Max Cady from Cape Fear.

Director Adam Blaiklock and the crew spent a month or so in the Maldives filming Caught Inside. From the outset a requirement was that the actors were all competent surfers and the surfing scenes are all shot with realism. The story is cleverly and quietly developed with moments of real suspense and surprise that make the audience gasp.

Ben Oxenbould plays Bull, at first glance popular with his peers, a larrikin who can charm anyone when he wants to. However we soon learn that he has a dark side. He has issues with women and anyone who disagrees with him and his disturbing sociopathic tendencies cannot be hidden in the confined spaces of the vessel.

He uses his strength as an intimidation to others but, interestingly, never takes on the Captain played by Peter Phelps. It is not clear whether this is due to some past incident, his respect for authority or the fact that the skipper might be stronger than him but anyone else who crosses his path is fair game.

Despite the fact that the Captain laid out the ground rules at the beginning of the trip, it becomes evident that the cruise participants are on their own – miles from anywhere. No one can help. This plays into Bull's hands as his manic tendencies become obvious. There are subtle hints that he has shown this type of behaviour before and he becomes more and more menacing and unhinged as the film progresses.

Caught Inside was filmed with a tight budget but it does demonstrate how important it is to base a movie on a great script. The film essentially revolves around Bull and Ben Oxenbould is truly exceptional in the role. He has been known as a comic actor with his performances in Comedy Inc but this film provides him with an opportunity to display a real talent for a complex character role.

In some ways the other actors are incidental to Bull but they are generally all very competent.

It is disappointing that Caught Inside hasn't reached a wider audience. The sad reality these days is that it is very difficult to get wide distribution without major stars and studio backing. Independent film makers face an up hill battle to get their films screened in cinemas.

Highly recommended.

Review By Frank Hatherley of Screen Daily

Author: paul-4088 from Sydney, Australia
21 June 2010

This small-scale, lost –at-sea-with-a-maniac thriller made it's mark in the 'Freak Me Out' genre section of the Sydney Film Festival. A self-funded independent production, it's the confident debut feature from established commercials and short film director, Blaiklock.

This handsomely shot movie looks set to punch beyond its weight There's a yacht-load of good actors – especially the 'Monster' and the 'Damsel In Distress character – and the tense situation is well established with the breathless climax delivering plenty of thrills, though perhaps not as much blood and gore as modern genre fans have come to expect. With Darclight signed as world sales agent and interest coming from international festivals, this handsomely shot movie looks set to punch beyond its weight.

The Hedonist, a beautiful ocean-going yacht, heads for the Maldives Islands in the equatorial Indian Ocean with a party of six Australians on a 12-day chartered cruise of renowned surfing sites at remote islands. The captain (Peter Phelps) reminds them that on board he is the dictator The women holidaymakers are the only non-surfers: practical Alex (Leeanna Walsman) is making a video documentary of the cruise; glamorous Sam (Daisy Betts) is escaping a bad online experience where her privately videoed striptease was leaked to MySpace and scored over a million hits. Standing out from the men is Buill (Ben Oxenbould), a mighty-muscled, lank-haired misfit, at first apparently sweet-natured and helpful, but soon revealed as a sociopath and stalker with a volcanic temper.

Oxenbould is terrific as the King Kong of this island paradise, and Betts is nicely equivocal as the potential victim who sometimes enjoys employing her sexual attraction. A climactic meal scene where the fearsomely calm Bull serves up an uncooked fish is particularly powerful. The actors clearly do their own surfing in some rousing on-and-under-the-waves sequences

Taunt! What A Sleeper!

Author: samkan from Poconos, Pennsylvania
20 February 2014

What might appear to be a low-budget surfer-dude movie with sex, skin and stupid plot turns out to be a well-scripted, tightly told and well acted suspense film with plenty of sexual tension and a truly disturbing portrait of "the-killer-among-us". Best thing about CAUGHT INSIDE is it's in every respect believable. One walks away from the film truly suspicious that, beneath a thin veneer of humanity in some of us, scratch the surface and/or tweak the circumstances, we're simply packs of animals divided into the dominant and the submissive. There's hardly a moment of fluff, padding; e.g., even the surfing clips are minimal. This flick is further proof that hard work, not necessarily gobs of money, pays off. Like to see more from the makers.

Strong Aussie thriller

31 July 2013

Crazed raging psycho Bull (a genuinely scary, intense, and convincing performance by Ben Oxenbould) terrorizes a handful of surfers on a yacht. Director Adam Blaiklock, who also co-wrote the engrossing script with Joe Velikovsky and Matt Tomaszewski, relates the gripping story at a brisk place, firmly grounds the premise in a credible everyday world, draws the believable characters with real depth, and gradually builds the suspense to a nerve-wracking fever pitch in the harrowing last third. The fine acting by the bang-up cast keeps this movie afloat: Daisy Betts as the feisty Sam, Sam Lyndon as the easygoing Rob, Simon Lyndon as the wimpy Toobs, Leeanna Walsman as the concerned Alex, Harry Cook as likable lunk Archie, and Peter Phelps as the no-nonsense Skipper Joe. Moreover, this picture acquires an extra potent edge and impact from the fact that everything that occurs is within the realm of possibility; the plot unfolds in a realistic and plausible, yet not entirely predictable and thus surprising manner. Damian Wyvill's bright widescreen cinematography provides a sumptuous shiny look and offers lots of breathtaking shots of the gorgeous ocean. Tom Schutzinger's spare score is both subtle and effective. A seaworthy item.

Psychological thriller on the high seas

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
30 July 2013

"Caught Inside" (2010) is an Australian psychological thriller about a group of surfers who sail to a remote island paradise for vacation. A couple of women join the expedition at the last moment and they bring out the animal in one particular surfer and the holiday turns into a torturous adventure.

What I liked about this film, aside from the professional fimmaking and paradisical locations (Maldives), was the realism of the story and characters. The film skirts the borders of the slasher genre and I'm sure it was tempting for the writers to have the psycho (Ben Oxenbould) morph into Jason Vorhees, but they wisely resisted.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Someone complained on the message board about how unbelievable it was at one point when a group of four or five from the expedition "cowardly" put up with the psycho's tormenting antics when he doesn't even have a weapon. But this is where the film shines as a PSYCHOLOGICAL thriller and not just a thriller. Bull, the psycho, had gained the upper hand by this point in the story. The others are literally afraid of him and fearing for their lives. They're also in shock since this was supposed to be a paradise surfing vacation. The blond guy with short hair tried to scrap with Bull a couple of times and was easily humbled, not to mention beat up. It's a mental thing. Bull is the king of the mountain at this juncture -- "king" by brute force and arrogance alone. One of the girls, Sam, is anticipating getting raped and who knows what else. The teen dude doesn't know what to do, since he was Bull's little buddy, but now he sees what a total psycho he is. So they're all afraid and considering their options. No doubt they're thinking of ganging up on him, but they simply don't have it in them at this moment, so they endure his tormenting antics. They're also waiting for the right opportunity when their chances of success are best.

I didn't find this unbelievable at all; in fact, I found it very realistic.

***END SPOILER***

If you like films like the excellent "Dead Calm" (1989), be sure to check out "Caught Inside." It's not as good, but it comes respectfully close.

By the way, the Australian accents are thick so I recommend using the subtitles.

The film runs 93 minutes.

GRADE: B

Some nice tight moments in a good thriller

Author: ozfilms73 from Australia
17 July 2013

Catching this film on Netflix only because I love surfing, both intrigued me, (beautifully shot) and also left me wanting more. Firstly, the negatives. Took too long to get into the meat of the story. the set up of the characters could have been better developed. However, the character of Bull was superbly played by Ben Oxenbould. Very much in the mould of WOlf Creeks Mick Taylor! What made it oh so much more real to me is that I actually know guys like Bull. In the surfing world they are everywhere. I can definitely relate to most of the characters in the film. Once the film got into it, it became a tight little thriller that kept me watching to the end. A really good effort on a low budget. This film should have received more recognition than it did and I think that was only because of its surfing themes, and those films don't seem to resonate with audiences.

Bully on a boat

Author: willydrama from Belgium
26 June 2012

Surfers head out to catch some waves and a power struggle unfolds on a sailing boat. That's the premise of this feature film, which would have benefited from some extra editing. Ben Oxenbould does a great job as your typical testosterone filled Aussie dickhead, who, much like the screenwriter of this movie, seems to be losing the plot quite often. Sam, the female lead who gets a kick out of manipulating people, seems to be equally creepy as Bull (Oxenbould) but the film only threads down this path very lightly. The other characters are pretty one dimensional and the focus stays on Bull, who's up there with other great on-screen sociopaths. The low budget can't be blamed for a missed Oscar opportunity but rather the way the story is presented to the viewer.

Recommended for that holiday trip with friends and foes.

A proper cinema experience...

Author: rorytoomey from Sydney
17 June 2010

Cards on the table: the director and co-writer of this film are two of my oldest and dearest friends. I attended the world premier screening at the Sydney Film Festival with some trepidation. What if it's awful? Will it be a quaint little Aussie indie flick? What do I say after the film if I hate it? Thankfully, right from the portentous dismembering of fish during the opening titles, I knew I had none of these issues to deal with. Caught Inside is a beautifully made film and a well crafted story featuring believable, fallible, human players. The performances drive the narrative with skill and energy. Bull's menacing presence is carried from the outset with supreme confidence by Ben Oxenbould in a potentially award winning performance. The story is nuanced and the script allows the characters and tension to develop towards an 'edge of seat' climax. I will happily send friends to see this film, not on the proviso of supporting my friends' project, but on the promise of witnessing an excellent piece of cinema. Well written, well shot, well lit, well cast, well acted.

May it travel far.

caught in storytelling

Author: petit76 from United States
10 July 2012

At first glance I was thinking I would watch a good movie without referring to the reviews so I bit the bullet and laid down on my couch to see this movie on Netflix. I have to tell I was waiting all through the first 20 minutes to see what this movie could be about( I am just being sarcastic). I think the director just started off on the wrong foot by inputting unnecessarily long conversations of the cast which did not add up to the story of this movie. Bunch of people meet up to embark on a journey of surfing so they rent a boat and pack that small boat to cruise off to somewhere they can catch the best undulations and waves to do some surfing. They are pretty much acquaintances except for a guy named Bull and he is a total freak beating another surfer telling him to yield the wave he needs. He beats him in the water and off the water on the shore. The entire premise of the movie is actually based on the renderings given by the screenplay artist and the director so they use the guy to beat an innocent stranger just surfing in the area so everyone can see who the bad guy of the movie is . I think it would be very hard for the audience to see who the bad guy was going to be unless he beat the stranger surfer !!/Nothing adds up to the story. The guy named Bull is a great surfer and a womanizer character who has an eye on another guy's girl friend and he does everything possible to entice her. He follows the girl while she is sunbathing at the beach and he stealthily approaches her and spread the sunscreen on the girl's back pretending he is the girl's boy friend . Girl named Sam thinks the guy over her body is her boyfriend then she realizes he is not her boyfriend who is spreading the sunscreen on her back. She screams and throws a temper tantrum and her boy friend comes to the scene and the action kicks off. The captain of the boat rushes to the beach to intervene the scuffle between the bad guy and the good guy and warns the bad guy of what repercussions he would be having if he goes on doing what he tried to do. The bad guy refuses the accusations and throws the girl under the bus claiming she wanted him to spread the sunscreen on her back. Then they embark back on the boat then the bad guy goes to the room of the molested girl to apologize for what he had done but the molested girl opens up the polished and newly painted door of the room and squeezes the bottle of hairspray in Bulls' eyes, next the scuffle and unrest increase to where the captain of the boat takes the bad guy back the island's shore to warn him for the last time and tells him to spend the rest of the night on the shore by himself. Bull goes overboard and cusses out the people on the boat off the shore of the island. He waits there till the sunrise and swims back to the boat and takes the control of the boat leaving the captain and other two crews around looking for him to take him back to the boat.I am really tired of typing for a movie i hated watching .. Anyway If you have time to waste go ahead and watch it. If life is important and minutes of life can be evaluated to do other things than watching a dreary movie avoid this movie. If i could rate it 0 out of 10 I could. Evren Buyruk, USA