IMDb > "Hawaii Five-0" Pilot (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hawaii Five-0: Pilot (#1.1)"

"Hawaii Five-0" Pilot (2010)

1 of 101 Episodes | Next »

Promising beginning

Author: skoyles from Calgary AB Canada
22 September 2010

I watched this show with low expectations; I liked Jack Lord and Wo Fat and the theme song. The theme song made my day! The cast is amazing; great casting from the lead all the way through. Good solid character actors doing what they do best: act. The writing is perhaps a bit derivative but it rather has to be; there are only so many plots.but the cast and writers make the best of it. Sure it is an 'odd buddy' movie but also one mixed with a touch of "Magnificent Seven" or "Chichi no Samurai". The interaction between these folks and the rest of the cast, in fact all the interpersonal relations, are well written. Good human relations without soap opera. The sketching of what makes Hawaii different is very well done, much better indeed than what I recall of the Lord series. So it is a very promising beginning.

Not really "Hawaii Five-O" and a bit silly, but also a lot of fun...

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
22 September 2010

I liked it, but it clearly was not "Hawaii Five-O". While a few of the story elements were carry-overs from the original show (such as the names of the central characters), so much of the show was new and very, very different. Here are a few of the differences:

1. There's some back story about McGarrett's father and some evil mercenary terrorist baddie. The father was never mentioned in the original show and you assume this baddie is a replacement for McGarrett's nemesis, Wo Fat. I assume since relations have improved between China and the US since the original show debuted they decided to excise Fat from the new show--and that probably will be a shame--Wo Fat was cool (sort of like Ming the Merciless and a spy put together!).

2. The show is now ACTION, ACTION, ACTION and snappy quips--none of which were true in the original. In fact, "Hawaii Five-O" (1968) was rarely an action show despite being a police series.

3. In the new show, you must assume that the Bill of Rights have been repealed, as McGarrett and his men routinely ignore the Constitution--something Jack Lord and his men NEVER would have done. Beating up a witness, not bothering to get a search warrant and the like seem to be quite okay with the new McGarrett!

4. Sexy, sexy, sexy seems to be the theme in the new show. Gone are fat Kono (he's now a sexy and entirely too thin young lady), old Chin Ho (he's now young and hot) and the clean-shaven professional look is gone. It's like "Miami Vice" more than "Five-O".

Overall, it's still WAY too early to pass any judgment on the new show. Based ONLY ON THIS PREMIER EPISODE, I would say that the new show is very exciting and cool but also a bit shallow and dumb (it's all action and 'cerebral' is not a term anyone would use for it). In a mindless sort of way, I liked it--but its spirit and mood is nothing like the original. Aside from names and locations, it's all new. Very, very new.

By the way, to be fair, I should point out that the pilot for the original show ("Cocoon") was very, very atypical for the series as well and was more action-oriented. It featured McGarrett working with the CIA and battling international Communism! And, it had a sensory deprivation tank and machine guns!

Great New-Old Series

Author: HawkDancng from United States
22 September 2010

This was an excellent start to the fall season. Great action, wonderful snark and snappy one-liners, and a great cast who looked like they work very well together.

Yes, there were a couple of Editing! moments - like when Danny's badge was turned upside down but fine in the next shot or when Steve's gunshot wound was on the wrong shoulder - but the chemistry was amazing and the tender moments not dragging on to mush. If it's action, great characters, and campy fun you want, you need to watch this show.

Yes it's only one episode, but unless something unforeseen happens with writing or cast, I can't see this one getting anything but better.

Hawaii 5-0 You Can Make Book on This Show ***1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
22 September 2010

The great theme and Book Him Danno are back once more.

While Jack Lord and James MacArthur's presence on the show shall be sorely missed, I think we have a worthy successor here.

This introductory show was a good one as it showed how Steve and Danny got to know one another. They certainly didn't start out that well together but that will improve as time goes on.

The scenery is just sumptuous and to show how authentic the show is, the governor is a female. Since the present governor of Hawaii is of the Jewish faith, I wonder if she will be cooking chicken soup and other delicacies for our dynamic duo.

Their first case evolved when Steve's father is slain in a hostage situation. We see a smuggling situation.

We even learn how Danno got that nickname. Best bet is to book this show.

Expected Low Expectations but Really Surprising!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
28 January 2013

I keep saying that the original is the original. But really the show has personality and more character development. The original may be great but this updated version has more of a character development.

Australian actor, Alex O Loughlin has the lead role of Navy SEAL Steve McGarrett who is offered by the Governor(Jean Smart) to run the Hawaii Five 0 Task Force, no red tape and full immunity from prosecution.

After his cop father, Jack was fatally shot. At first McGarrett refuses but then after he got into a clash with the lead investigator, Detective Williams, did the Governor swore him in over the phone.

There he picks NJ cop and single day Danny "Danno" Williams(Scott Caan of the "Ocean movies" and son of James) to be his partner. And Hawaii police LT Chin Ho(Daniel Dae Kim from "Lost")accused of corruption but is a great cop nonetheless. And Ho's cousin Kono(played by Battlestar Galatica's Grace Park), a rookie cop.

Really great chemistry despite at times the writing and story lines being cheesy. A great way to start off a new version of the classic show for today's generation!