IMDb > 2 Days in New York (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Disappointing

Author: thomaszangerllux from Europe
9 April 2012

I watched this film in cinema, because I quite enjoyed the first movie, "2 Days in Paris" - it contained some genuinely funny and also charming scenes and was a well-executed rom-com that would in principle please both men and women.

It's unfortunate that I can't say the same about its sequel. To begin with, structurally it mirrors exactly the first film - cultural differences, relationship put under test, climax and separation, relief and happy ending. This lack of innovation alone wouldn't have spoiled the movie, if there had been at least some well-devised humor, a good chemistry between the lead actors or realistic behavior by the characters to start with.

However, the French characters just misbehave to the point of being totally unbelievable and the jokes are overall nothing short of adolescent. In addition to that, the plot recycles too many really old ideas, like the main character selling her soul and then wanting it back or inventing a terminal disease to calm down her neighbors and then trying to cope with their attempts to help her.

The movie had its few funny moments when it was focusing on the relationship between Marion and her sister, Rose or when Marion's and Mingus' children mimic socially highly unacceptable behavior that they observed with their French visitors during an art exhibition. However, for the most part, the jokes are predictable and just not funny. Furthermore, given that the chemistry between Julie Delpy and Adam Goldberg was much better than between Julie Delpy and Chris Rock, I would recommend watching the first movie instead, if you haven't done so yet. On the other hand, if you have, then you already know the sequel as well.

Don't Pass this one up!

Author: sageskye-1 from United States
10 July 2012

I have to say this movie kept me laughing! I was a Julie Delpy fan anyway,so when I saw that Chris Rock was in it & they were playing a couple I thought this could be interesting. I really loved that the movie had great pacing. It moved along pretty quickly. When the family finally arrived from France the movie shifts into high gear. I especially loved the script.I never knew what a great writer Julie Delpy was!The father is a hoot,I loved that the sister thinks that her & Chris Rock have this connection(Even if he's with her sister,and she came with her boyfriend.}I love how things being said in french & English get mixed up. I can see that Chris Rocks time on Broadway is paying off and he's picking better movies. Anyway give this movie a shot you won't be disappointed.

We gave up after 12 minutes

Author: David O'Mahony from Malaysia
11 September 2012

Its obsessed with sex, its crass, neurotic and just not credible. The characters are contrived, and my wife and I wished we gave up earlier than minute number 12. I'm sure there must be some New York families like this, but hopefully not too many, because this is a poor fabrication of a pathetic scenario that left if not caring what is going to happen next. We have lived in France - and never met anybody as bizarre as the characters here. The credibility of the customs scene is around zero- I've never known anybody that stupid. The wanna-be Woody Allen directing left Woody Allen looking good - and I don't like Woody Allen. We soon found something else better to do with our lives than waste it on this film.

2 Days In New York

Author: San Toki from United Kingdom
30 May 2012

A good idea before watching a film sequel would be to check out the original, imagine watching Return of The Jedi without knowing that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father (apologies if I've spoiled that for anybody). Well, I agreed to watch 2 Days in New York today without any idea that it was the follow-up to 2 Days In Paris, a French film about relationships, I found out. Horrified that I had been tricked into watching (what i assumed was) a Romance film, I was expecting the worst, but this was actually quite funny, not as funny as The Dictator, but certainly not a romance, more of a drama about mad families.

Chris Rock plays Mingus and Julie Delpy plays Marion, a couple in their late 30s who both have kids from previous relationships. They're a classic middle-class couple, living in a nice New York apartment and both with good jobs. However, Marion's family from France quickly arrives to visit her, and all sorts of madness ensues, from the younger sister who is constantly craving sex (with anyone), to the sister's boyfriend, who brings drug dealers back to the apartment. The film is like a sophisticated version of Meet The Parents, and without a doubt the only time I've seen Chris Rock in a serious role, playing a responsible guardian in the film rather than the comedian we all know and love, but it works. The film doesn't directly follow on from the original, (or so my friends told me, they could have just been lying), so you can watch it as a stand-alone film, I certainly enjoyed it. Surprisingly good.

Cardboard cutout with a twist of Woody Allen wannabe

Author: Mino
10 April 2012

Just a couple of minutes in, I realized that Delpy has suddenly gotten older. That's not a problem at all, but now she reinvents herself as a sort of Diane Keaton while still Woody Allen's muse, with the glasses half way down her nose and constant verbal notes to self, and all the insecure, but kind of intellectual but still crazy enough to say a dirty word hihi, with all the New Yorker do not care how I dress attitude and wardrobe. Other than lack of originality, still NOT a big problem, until she conveniently portrays the french visiting relatives as some sort of peasants who are always either high or drunk, and which smell because they don't bathe enough and are generally loud and obnoxious. To create some comical situations, no doubt, but with little success. Talk about narrow minded preconceptions, but what do you call it when it comes from a compatriot!? I guess Delpy saw fit to remake the bland Very Bad Trip into a pseudo intellectual cross culture cardboard cutout. Well, mission accomplished, mamie. The terminal disease bit deserves a special note just for how stretched and juvenile distastefully it is done. All in all a weak effort.

One last foot note: I've never been a great Chris Rock fan, but between the rest of them, he truly shines.

Some of these reviewers need to get over themselves

Author: steve-everhard from United Kingdom
30 January 2013

I think it's hilarious that some of the reviewers chastise the FRENCH Julie Delpy for portraying French people abroad in an unbelievable and unflattering light. Yeah of course you are more likely to be right! Part of the charm of the movie is showing that many cultures, when travelling, behave far more informally than they do at home. The situations here are supposed to be caricatures and not politically correct plastic people and they work well. And yes, the French talk about sex a lot - it's part of their charm - and they like to embarrass each other too. These guys are supposed to be from Brittany which isn't Parisienne sophistication but rural grit and it makes for a very funny movie that doesn't contain a Allen-esque message but is great entertainment pure and simple. Don't come to the movie expecting Chris Rock standup and zaniness (great casting for that reason alone) but to be humoured in a gentle way more reminiscent of slapstick than Woody Allen. Julie Delpy writes very well and maintains a good pace as director. All in all a job well done.

Save your money for something else

Author: Chris Byrne from United Kingdom
27 May 2012

When I read the blurb on what this film was about I thought 'Hey, Chris Rock, French people and a funny meeting with the future in/out laws. Sounds good to me!' How wrong could I have been? I know for a fact that this film is NOT a true representation of how French families behave and find it difficult to believe that a French person wrote it! Some may consider me to be a bit of an old fuddy duddy for not particularly enjoying unnecessary swearing in films but to have to read them in wonderful HD was a bit beyond the pale for me! Maybe I'm lucky and have only ever met decent French people, who knows? Would the 2 sisters in this film really have behaved and sworn the way they did had they been in Paris? Not very likely so why should we believe anything about the film if they do it in New York? Chris Rock played the straight man and throughout the film looked lost and confused. I honestly think that most of the time he was wondering what the hell he was doing in the film in the first place? I have rated this film as a 1 but only because Zer0 was not an option. All in all a MASSIVE disappointment and I will not be in a hurry to go and see any more films involving any of the same cast.

Julie Delpy vs. Woody Allen.

Author: Markus Emilio Robinson
25 July 2012

Coming from someone who enjoyed "2 Days in Paris" but was annoyed by the forever cynical and far too whiny Adam Goldberg, "2 Days in New York" is an altogether better rehashing of its predecessor from writer/director Julie Delpy (but this time in New York and with Chris Rock). Starring Delpy, once again as the main character Marion, "2 Days in New York" also sees the same actors reprising their roles, including Alexia Landeau as Rose, the antagonistic sister and Alexandre Nahon as Manu, the horned-up ex-boyfriend (and in this film, Rose's current boyfriend). Delpy, the woman obsessed with exploring finite segments of relationships, has written and directed a film which is visually nowhere near excellent, but does contain an abundance of very witty dialogue that rivals the likes of Woody Allen…if Woody Allen was a neurotic French woman. Let me put it this way; only in a Julie Delpy movie could one hear a "Waiting For Godot" joke followed by a Salt-n-Pepa joke.

The Plot: The very beginning of "2 Days in New York" neatly ties up all loose ends from the previous Jack and Marion relationship and quickly delves into the story of Marion and her new African American (you've hooked me already) boyfriend Mingus (I know, what an unfortunate name) played by Chris Rock. Their relationship is described to be something of a fairytale (but not quite a Disney fairytale, because they are in an interracial relationship). But when Marion's very French family comes to visit, a series of catastrophically comical Woody Allen-esque happenstances ensue, which could result in a breakup; and more astoundingly yet another failed relationship for Marion.

While the chemistry between Rock and Delpy is very convincing here, Delpy's writing is still the driving force which allows this story to work so well. And the reason the writing works so well is, like a great piece of stand-up comedy, Delpy has created a film centered around a series of culturally comical skits dealing with the French/American interactions, or cultural relations. But more impressive (and maybe more importantly) this female Woody Allen has created a venue for Chris Rock to find a happy-medium between his weak dramatic abilities and his strong comedic skills.

Chris Rock as an Actor: I've never thought much of Rock (maybe the funniest comedian alive) as an actor. And who would blame me with a filmography which includes "Grown Ups", "Head of State" and "Osmosis Jones". But, with that said, a movie like "2 Days in New York" sees a type of role Chris Rock should be striving to get. The Mingus character is one that while conducive to a scene or two of Rock's babbling stand-up bit, is accentuated by loads of very subtle adult comedy and some very low key romantic moments, that which showcases Rock's acting potential in a non-slapstick fashion.

Final Thought: Even though, for some people, this entire film may feel like a retelling of its predecessor, only with the characters being a little bit older and the addition of Rock, the "2 Day" premise (as a whole) is still a very strong one that hasn't gotten old yet. In my opinion, even if all of the jokes are based on the familiar lost in translation sequences, Delpy's joke writing is so strong that through her films audiences can see the blueprints of what a good culture clash romantic comedy is suppose to look like. Long story short, if you are trying to decide between going to see "2 Days in New York" or "To Rome with Love", I'll put it to you this way: interracial relationships all the way.

Written by Markus Robinson, Edited by Nicole I. Ashland Follow me on Twitter @moviesmarkus

I liked it!!

Author: vanessaflood from Ireland
27 May 2012

When the movie began I turned to my fellow cinema goer and asked, is this the film??? And for the first 10 minutes we wondered if we'd made a mistake choosing this film over the other option... A kiss for Jed. But I can safely report that its well worth a watch!!! Its laugh out loud funny at times and has a heart :)Its uplifting and different. I was very impressed with Chris Rock playing a character slightly outside his comfort zone, and for taking on what I would consider to be a risky project, it certainly paid off and he was very believable as a 'real' character. anyone with interesting in-laws will appreciate and get a laugh out of this film. So go see it!!

One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time

Author: Kimmmmi from United States
27 April 2012

I saw this last night and could not stop laughing. It is difficult to keep pacing throughout a movie but this movie does that and keeps you laughing throughout. While other reviewers seem offended by the antics of the French family, many of us in the audience nodded realizing we all have those crazy members in the family who left under their own devices act insane.

Chris Rock plays the straight man in this movie which is a refreshing change of pace. The chemistry of the cast is evident throughout in how familiar they are with one another and how comfortable the actors seems to be. It is easy to believe that you have walked into a crazy family dynamic. The storyline is quirky and plot a little light but the laugh out loudness of this movie more than makes up for it.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]