IMDb > Seconds Apart (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Seconds Apart

Seconds Apart More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Performances outshine the story...

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
26 May 2011

The film starts out with a bang (literally) and grabs your attention for the better part of the movie's first half. A tragedy occurs during the film's opening credits and Detective Lampkin (Jones, in a surprisingly good performance) is assigned to the case to get to the bottom of what happened. Why would such popular students, who also made up the majority of the school's football team, participate in such a dangerous game? Why would the game keep on going even after the first death? Lampkin suspects foul play and starts interrogating some of the other students. After interviewing just one student (he's just lucky that way, I guess), Lampkin sets his sights to the twins with a video camera. Twins have become known for being evil in horror movies and this one is no exception. We can tell from the moment we meet Seth (Gary) and Jonah (Edmund) Trimble that something isn't quite right with them. They are practically expressionless, cold, calculated and extremely manipulative. Even their own parents (Herthum, Shaw) seem to live in their own little, creepified, spaced-out paradise. From that point on, Detective Lampkin (who has his own little quirks and back story) obsesses with the twins and doesn't even bother to suspect anybody else. I guess CSI had it wrong all these years -- don't follow the evidence, follow your gut, go figure. That was my major qualm about the picture because it just comes off as lazy storytelling because after the twin's initial interviews, there was nothing... not one single thing that was said that would make this cop think they had any involvement with this tragedy. The film did have a nice, overall vibe of mystery and suspense, due to the fact that the boys were working on a secret film project of their own. Since every movie needs some conflict, enter Eve(Droke), a new student at the school the twins attend. She, of course, creates a rift between the two boys which allows us to get to the conclusion of the movie, which was a very fitting and satisfying end. Overall, starts out great, lags in the middle and picks up again at the end. Fine performances all around, above average camera work and good production values. No scares, jumps or frights to speak of -- which isn't good, you kind of want those in your horror films. This one was more of a drama/mystery/suspense. Final Grade: C+

Gloriously gory fun

Author: declanio from United Kingdom
4 June 2011

Where did this great little movie pop up from - I'd never heard of it or its two main twin stars.

Whatever, it's a great little horror film. The pre-credits opening sequence is genuinely disturbing and hooks you right away.

Gore-wise it's not a film with a constant flow of blood or rapidly rising body-count but when the violence comes, strewth, it's pretty disturbing.

A couple of great twists, too.

And cinematography isn't something I usually comment on but this really was beautifully shot.

One of the crispest looking movies I've seen in a while - at times it looked almost 3D.

Well worth checking out.

Well - that was enjoyable!

Author: balefulregards from Canada
31 May 2011

I have learned better than to simply take a good or poor IMDb score as proof that a movie may be enjoyable.

I grabbed this movie, not expecting a whole lot, honestly. Having recently tortured myself with Anthony Hopkins in the laughable "The Rite", I figured this couldn't be nearly as bad.

And I was right. Sure, the plot is a bit predictable - but very well shot. Color palate of the film matched the surroundings, and points for the use of the creepy Gothic Southern manor.

The actors portraying the twins were really quite good, as were most of the student roles. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other about Orlando Jones, expect to say that he didn't annoy me in his police officer role - neither over the top, nor dead in the water.

For a Tuesday night film, this far exceeded my expectations.

Well done!

Creepy Movie with a Disappointing Conclusion

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 March 2012

After the death of four high school students, the last two playing Russian Roulette, Detective Lampkin (Orlando Jones) investigates the case interviewing the students in the school. The teenager Katie Dunn (Jennifer Foreman) mentions the weird twins, Jonah (Edmund Entin) and Seth (Gary Entin) Trimble and Lampkin summons the brothers for interrogation. Lampkin is a traumatized man that lost his beloved wife in a fire and has deep scars not only on the face, but also in his soul.

After the deaths of Katie and the pedophile Kirby (Rusty Tennant), Lampkin learns that the twins have an evil telepathic connection and are capable to make people live their worst nightmares. He goes further in his investigation and discovers that the evil twins are the result of an experiment. However, his superiors do not trust on him and believe that he has hallucinations. Meanwhile Jonah falls in love with Eve (Samantha Droke) but his brother does not want to separate from him.

"Seconds Apart" is a creepy movie about two powerful twins that use their abilities for the evil. The story has a great atmosphere and the weirdos are scary. Unfortunately, the messy conclusion is very disappointing, but anyway this film worth to see. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Sentimentos Mortais" ("Mortal Feelings")

The Chiller Thriller makes a comeback.

Author: KnucklesMangano from United States
24 May 2011

I'm really starting to enjoy this new resurgence of Chiller/Thriller/Horror films. And, Seconds Apart is one that I can thank for helping. Orlando Jones shows he's more than just a comedic actor, or the wide eyed supporting character, by adding depth and range to his resume of acting skills. But, most of all, I'm happy to see a movie that didn't cast one person in "twins" roles, with a ton of over the shoulder shots. The Entin twins were superb in this movie, and played their parts to a fine point. Without repeating what the synopsis is, and without dropping spoilers, I will say that this is a must-see film for the horror/thriller buff.

pretty awesome!

Author: Diana Fonseca from Portugal
10 June 2011

I'm really glad I watched this!

The story is actually pretty interesting. Thanks to Seconds Apart I found the band Sideway Runners (they play the song that Eve shows to Jonah in her room- which I liked so I went and checked the band out and they're pretty fine).

Also the twins were great. The blood scenes were really well done. I mean, it's another level of gore movies. I hope more people get a chance to see this.

I wasn't familiar with Antonio Negret's work but now I'm definitely looking forward to watch more movies directed by him.

Great horror film to watch... with twins. I totally recommend it!

Sit up and take note

Author: info-232-207286
23 December 2011

The "after dark originals" is a great idea. 8 horror films from lesser known directors. Seconds Apart is the best I've seen from this series. A sinister tale of male twins that really packs a punch. Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers" was the last film I saw about twins that was quite disturbing & this film is a great little view also. The acting from the two brothers is first class & the way that it's shot shows a great deal of maturity. Horror films are so popular these days but they seem to go straight for the gore sequences (ala "Saw" franchise). Seconds Apart has some great disturbing moments & a good amount of gore to keep the horror fans happy, but it's the way that it's told, cut & delivered that is really impressive. If you want a great sinister, thought provoking movie then this is the best of the series by far. Excellent!

A more terrifying Jedward

Author: Maz Murdoch (asda-man) from United Kingdom
7 September 2011

I felt it I know that the "After Dark Horrorfest" often do really bad horror films that are just clichéd with very little interesting characters or action. The only exception being the mesmerising "Frontier(s)". Obviously "Seconds Apart" is no where near the standard of "Frontier(s)" but it is a very interesting, watchable and enjoyable film! I would very happily watch "Seconds Apart" again, just for it's pure bravery to go beyond the conventional slasher or ghost story and create quite a complex blend of narrative and characters.

Just imagine Jedward but even more terrifying. Even though I am convinced that this is probably what Jedward get up to and I'm pretty sure that if john or Edward got a girlfriend they would end up killing each other. But anyway, getting away from the point! The twins are really interesting characters to have to front the film. They are the protagonists but pure evil. They're performances are really chilling and they are well-written characters which is nice to see. Geroge Richards (the writer) manages to make them completely unlikable and likable at the same time. they're fascinating! Unfortunately the burnt black cop isn't quite so interesting as the boys and his story, although complex and well thought out is unnecessary and quite annoying.

"Seconds Apart" is directed like a music video. It's got almost too much style with lots of cuts and fades to black and jump cuts that can be quite off-putting but also quite nice to see. I know I'm not making any sense but I did quite like the mad-cap editing in some places. It was obviously well thought-out and broke away from the boring static conventions which we find in every single horror film! The cinematography was really excellent though and the set-pieces such as the twins creepy old house were really well done.

Although the story was OK I couldn't help but feel it could've gone better. I think I would've preferred to have seen more drama and sibling rivalry when Jonah or Seth (can't tell 'em apart!) got a girlfriend because I found that prospect really interesting. However instead they decided to focus much more on the detective getting closer to them which was exciting but not as interesting. I think the fight seen at the end of the film could've been better also.

The score and music in general was really well done here, it's got a creepy edge to it and is memorable. Overall (especially me actually being a twin) it was quite a creepy and fascinating insight. With stylish direction, thoughtful writing and glorious characters! With some tweaks this could've been a really great film, but is instead just a really good film. But oh well, it was fun and although there could've been a little more gore the deaths were disturbing and creative anyways. I'm giving it a very solid 7 out of 10 which is definitely leaning more towards the 8 side. Definitely worth a watch.

Decent movie but could have been better

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
21 September 2013

It's be on my watch list for a bit and I was did not expect get this movie for one pound, It's was decent movie for one pound that for sure.

I liked the twins was doing the same thing at the same time at the start of the movie, it makes feel bit more creepy.

As the movies goes on, it kind of losses the creepy of the movie but get bit stranger and can get a bit confused in few scenes,

Your watching it but not sure what really going on at times also I enjoyed how twins mess with victims but at the same they are also messing with us.

That decent curve in story, I didn't not see coming at all, after that, the movie felt a little to rushed.

I do think this movie could have been a lot longer, there decent stuff, which I don't they used to full potential.

6 out of 10 - I got it for £1 so I not complaining

Those Telepathic Trimble Kids

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
15 October 2012

Identical Twins Edmund and Gary Entin star in Seconds Apart. The title refers to the fact that the two were born exactly that way to their mother. In point of fact for purposes of this film understand that they can't be apart for a second.

Like the Halliwell sisters on Charmed with their power of three, these two have the power of two, they are telepathically blessed from their point of view or cursed from everyone else. Since they were little kids when they experimented on their late babysitter when they pool concentration they can do remarkable things to others.

A couple of kids at their Catholic High School died playing Russian roulette and that gets cops involved, specifically Detective Orlando Jones. He figures out what was going on since the boys have the power to force hallucinations and he's still traumatized by the loss of his wife in a fire. The problem is that Jones can't get anyone else to believe him.

The two Entin kids are terrifying and the film does create a nice atmosphere of Gothic horror like what used to be done at Universal Studios in those classic days. This one's a bit above the usual slash and gore flicks inflicted on the public today.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]