IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 17: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Nice try...

Author: kdorsey321 from United States
3 February 2012

Checked out the movie "Abduction," starring Taylor Lautner(Twilight), Lily Collins, and Alfred Molina(Spiderman 2). At first sight, I honestly thought it was going to be a good movie. It looked like it had potential and I felt like it was a good time to break out Taylor Lautner, beings though the end to the "Twilight Saga" is near.

I'm not sure were to start with this movie. There are so many things wrong, awkward, or just plain mind boggling that I'm just not quite sure were to begin. For one, there wasn't a whole lot of "good" action in this film. The action scenes made me feel like Taylor Lautner didn't do enough or he didn't do enough personal training. Some action parts of this movie just make you shake your head. Then he(Taylor Lautner) needs to work on his acting. There were just some parts were he made you feel like he could have just simply done better. This movie feels like it was a little rushed. The plot wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The plot definitely could have used some work. Even the sub plot is suspect. I know they could have thought of a better way for the two love birds to link up in this movie. I'm a little surprised this movie came to theater.

I'm giving this movie a 5 out of 10. You don't need to see this movie. You don't need to Redbox; buy it on DVD, or Netflix this movie. Hopefully, Taylor's next movie is a better one!

An adequate action film by Taylor Lautner

Author: neenahhh from Philippines
27 December 2011

Nathan and his friend, Karen, find a website that has photos of children who were believed to be missing or abducted. They soon stumble across one of Nathan's baby pictures on the website. Before he can question his parents, they are both killed. Nathan and Karen set out to discover the truth behind Nathan's real identity.

After thinking about it, I realized that this movie was pretty adequate. Or even less than. Yes, I am a fan of Taylor Lautner, but this film wasn't that great.. The acting was just mediocre, and the plot was not at all intriguing. If a person who didn't know Taylor Lautner watched this, I bet they would have been very very unimpressed with this movie. The plot wasn't very strong. It didn't hold my interest for long. I did like the concept of the film, yes, but I didn't like its execution. Here's hoping for a better film starring Taylor Lautner.

Viewed on: December 27, 2011

RapidReview~9

Author: ashhub from United Kingdom
22 December 2011

I wondered at the low rating but by the end of the film i understood why~

The lead actor was poor ~ he could only manage about 2 expressions ~ shame because the rest of the cast did a pretty good job in a basic but not terrible action thriller~

Aimed primarily at teeny~boppers on their first date ~ with many probably giving it an OMG! ~ 10/10 ~ but for a 36 year old it has all been seen before only much better~

Much of the film was mediocre but watchable (with some pretty good action scenes) but the ending was just trite ~ painful to watch and mawkish dropping it from a 5 to 4~

Hoped it would be better...

Author: bigboydotzy from Romania
20 December 2011

Reading these other reviews, all I can say is poor-poor Taylor Lautner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of his but he is constantly being attacked by reviewers 'cause of his poor acting skills and his disability to wear a T-shirt. I really am sorry for the 'Team Jacob' fans out there but I really have to agree with every single one of these reviewers because unfortunately...THEY ARE RIGHT! Other than being an expert in taking his shirt off in front of camera, the guy isn't that good. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate Lautner and I really am sorry for him...

Even though I read a couple of reviews before watching this movie, I wanted to create an opinion for myself and I watched it very open minded hoping that I will be pleased with Taylor's performance but I wasn't.

In my opinion the script was the major problem in this movie, it seemed to me that there wasn't much time given into this script, I mean maybe if the writer gave it a little bit more time this movie would have been...well not epic, but enjoyable.

Putting the script aside, Taylor Lautner gave his normal performance which isn't that good...yet. I say 'yet' because I really hope that in the near future he will give a great performance in a future film, so all hope isn't gone yet, but let's hope this 'great performance' will come before the end of the Twilight series.

I kept waiting for the werewolf to come out...

Author: Ilona Z from Netherlands
23 October 2011

I had some issues with Taylor Lautner's acting here in Abduction. The movie itself was okay, but I just kept waiting for the werewolf to pop out at some point. His acting was quite good, but it's the danger with casting actors who are famous for iconic roles (just like we can't ever see Daniel Radcliffe NOT being Harry Potter, or see Robert Pattinson as something other than a vampire, or see Sarah Michelle Gellar not being Buffy, and so on and so forth). Especially with Taylor looking so much like the Jacob he plays in the Twilight Saga.

About Abduction: I liked the storyline. Made me wonder what I'd think if I would ever find myself on a missing children's website. But come on, he didn't look anything like his 'parents'. Some bells must've been going off in his head! That being said, I rate Abduction a 5 out of 10. It was entertaining, but it would be more believable with someone else in the lead role. Go ahead, see for yourself!

Bad writing more to blame than the acting

Author: emma-190-611245 from United States
19 October 2011

I'm giving this movie a generous 5 because there's a lot to be said for an action movie with this kind of star power behind it. John Singleton did what he was supposed to do, the actor's hit their marks, but the dialogue was so stilted & ridiculous, there was no way to save this movie. Truly, I blame the script. The idea of the story is great - a high school kid finds out he is one of those kids on the side of the milk carton? That's pretty powerful stuff to teens who may be experiencing the "Who Am I"s before even entering the theatre. However, good movies make us care about the people in them. And you do that with a good script. Abduction is convoluted and borrows heavily from the Mission Impossible "NOC list with traitor on the inside," story. But what really kills this movie is the horrible dialogue. The best scenes are with Jason Isaacs and Maria Bello - we want more of them, but alas, they are killed in the beginning and we never see them again. It would have been nice to explore, even briefly, what led Nathan's father (played by Dermot Mulroney's mouth) to place his son with them & Dr. Bennett. And what about Sigourney Weaver's character, Dr. Bennett? Sigourney Weaver is a great actress and ill used as pure exposition in this movie. The last scene in particular has such awful dialogue it's a miracle the actors didn't just shrug and walk away. The premise, plot & cast had promise, but bad dialogue will take a film off the rails every time. Stiff acting doesn't help, and teenage boys are stiff & awkward sometimes so that is more excusable. Note to scriptwriters: actually read out loud what you write. If it feels stilted, it is.

Very good teen action movie

Author: Johnny_Hing from United States
20 September 2012

I am really astounded at how many people are trashing this movie. Most of it appears to be based on Taylor Lautner and his "shirtless" persona from the Twilight films. Despite being a prolific movie-watcher, I have not as yet watched any of the Twilight films, for whatever reason. Perhaps this is a good thing, as I had no preconceived notions of Lautner going in, and had no expectations one way or another.

The drunken party scene was well-executed, and served a purpose in developing his character, being that his Dad challenged him to a fight (with gloves) when he got home, apparently to teach him never to let his guard down. Whatever people want to say about his acting (and I thought it was decent), he is a skilled martial artist in real life. Thus, the fight scenes were realistic, and we didn't have to suffer through a shaky camera trying to disguise an actor's athletic shortcomings, as is the case in many action movies out there. The casting was good (so refreshing to see a real teen play a teen). The cinematography is excellent. The final 20 minutes or so, set in and around PNC Park in Pittsburg, was a visual treat. Amid the action and drama, we actually get to see a few pitches thrown, and even a home-run over the center field fence. The film had a denouement, and didn't leave you muttering to yourself "What the heck just happened?" The movie had a few flaws, but those have been beaten to death and are exaggerated beyond recognition. No, this isn't Die Hard, nor does it try to be. (Even if it had tried, no doubt people would be screaming "Die Hard ripoff!") It is a good, solid teen action movie with Phil Collins' lovely daughter Lily as the co-star. Personally, I recommend it, for whatever that's worth. (Nothing, I know.) Seriously, this does not deserve the vicious thrashing that many reviewers are meting out. Is it blockbuster material? No, certainly not. Is it worth the price of a DVD rental? Yes, indeed.

Better than expected

Author: barger-jm from United States
3 April 2012

Our family of 4, two adults, two teens, were thoroughly entertained. A good action movie and the actors were well above average. Have seen Bourne films. Have seen Mission Impossible films. This one held its own. After the movie, our family commented that the movie deserved a sequel--and we hope they do one.

If they make another film, they might do a better job with the timing of the love/affection scenes. Also, the father-son relationship needs to be a bit more realistic. These aspects of the film was not well developed.

Those who are looking for a good action film with an entertaining story line and appealing characters should see this film and also hope they make another.

A very good action movie!

Author: MovieGuy01 from United Kingdom
8 March 2012

I really enjoyed watching Abduction. I found it to have a very good storyline, i particularity thought that Taylor Lautner (Nathan) and Lily Collins (Karen) acting was great. One day Nathan & Karen are over at Nathan's parents home and Karen happens to come across a website which has lots of photos of children who are missing or may have somehow been abducted. all of a sudden Karen is sat at the computer and she manages to age one of the photos on the website. Suddenly the photo turns out to be one of Nathan when he was just a child. Nathan becomes really confused and wants to know exactly what is going on because his mother will not tell him. He then start to think that he may have been abducted, and that his parents are not really his real ones. The movie really kept me interested all the way through. The storyline was very gripping and kept me on the edge of my seat almost the whole length of the movie. I would really recommend people to see this movie as it has a lot of great action happening in it.

In recent films like these, its better if you weren't know for Twilight

Author: John Maynes from United States
1 October 2011

Notice how i didn't score this review?

Thats cause its not worth the score.

Not to mention its receive the same bashing as the latest Johnny Depp movie, remember that? The Tourist, yeah its that movie but watching an amateur version of the Bourne Identity

Yes i am bashing the film on my return to IMDb.com

I appreciate all the emails i've received asking where've i've gone, I've been busy pretty lately thanks for your concern but lets get started.

I could've at least picked a better film to make a huge comeback but, as always i'm dragged into these situations.

Its starts off as usually, mind numbingly slow, then the dialog...gets pretty in laughable?

Since when did chase movies become laughable, well apparently even the writer had something but failed, you know the story was so bad he should marry Stephanie Meyers, at least we all know there's another person out there to match up to her dumb ideas,plus with a cheap 10 cents worth of an hunk head, Taylor Launter, Uh you know the film's gonna suck if you see his name or face on the poster of any movie even if it turns out to be good he's gonna be up for a razzie big time!.

Taylor..you're better off doing twilight, not even getting big can put you out there as a star, lets face it, you know how most models show up in movies, thats because of their good looks, how do you think Launter's famous? he can't act, he can't even make serious.

I doubt this'll up as a dating movie, even the women in our little get together said this was utterly ridiculous.

Its like watching an old Michael Bay film when he didn't care about acting, story and direction, he just wanted to make the experience good and to make a fool out of you for your cold hard cash.

Another fact, even Michael Bay would've made this better, and that i do mean that in a good way, he did a rather good job with Transformers;Dark of the moon.

OK to make it quick.

Just skip to right here!

Story- Retarded

Direction- as bright as uwe boll, and as stupid as an old copy cat of michael bay.

Acting- The funniest part of the movie, sorry Weaver someday you"ll get redemption.

Overall- Its one of the worst action movies since the Green Hornet, cause it was suppose to be an action movie...not a comedy