IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 16: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Bourne Identity meets Twilight

Author: zippers94 from United States
6 November 2012

In the movie Abduction, directed by John Singleton, Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) is on a quest to discover his true identity. In this action thriller there is the typical love story, villain, and a young, cute actor. This film puts Taylor Lautner in motion and is not a bad film, as long as he remains in motion. Abduction resembles the Bourne Identity movies. A young man out on the run from some other society mixed in with a love story. The credit goes to John Singleton for the great cinematography, music, and pictures. The cinematography in the action scenes are exceptional. Also, the music fits what is happening on the screen and it draws the viewers into the movie. The camera swoons this heart throbbing 19 years old boy, especially with many close ups; however, Taylor's acting is another story. Taylor Lautner is exceptional at martial arts, which helps shape his perfectly sculpted abs. This teen star was stiff, easy to read, and predictable. It seemed as if Lautner was trying a little too hard to fit into his role and just memorized and recited his lines without matching the role. I would not say this film is a successful thriller but more of a chick-flick. I would recommend this movie to any teenage girl that wants someone good to look at, but not for anyone that would want watch a good action/ thriller.

From Boyz n the hood, to....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
21 December 2011

Lautner stars as a guy who sees his picture on a missing person website.

Pouting like there is no tomorrow, he confronts his parents, who state they are not really his parents, and soon after, they are killed.

It turns out that he has something to do with the CIA, and Dr Octopus and Ripley are out to help him. Or are they?

He brings along a girl he fancies, and they get into all sorts of scrapes. Or do they?

Singleton blasted his way into our lives twenty years ago with his phenomenal debut, and now he's directing a vehicle for the one from Twilight who isn't a vampire.

And it's what you'd expect. A bland teen action movie, with no subtlety or common sense. But it's not a horrid film to watch.

Despite it's blandness, it's quite watchable, but runs out of steam toward the final act.

Lautner proves there is no life after Twilight with the exception of Stewart, and looks out of place whenever he has his shirt on.

Issacs and Bello are wasted in their minor roles, and Weaver and Molina are just there for filler and a bit of gravitas.

But still, it's the best thing Lautner has been in, but thats not saying much really.

Or is it?

Aduct me from this movie please!

Author: Marc Davis from Maryland
23 September 2012

Teen sensation Taylor Lautner stars in this John Singleton film about a high school teenager who discovers his life is not the reality he thought it was. After seeing his face on a website for missing children, the comfortable suburban life he's lived for as long as he can remember comes crashing down around him. His parents are soon killed and he finds himself the target of the CIA and a gang of murderous thugs. He goes on the run and learns that his parents were not really his parents, but rather CIA agents whose mission was to protect him. He also learns that his biological father was a former CIA agent that had stolen an electronic list containing the names of corrupt CIA agents from a really bad guy. The really bad guy wants the list back really bad, and so the rest of the film finds Nathan and his high school sweetheart/childhood friend, Karen (Lily Collins) running from this really bad guy and the CIA. Ho-Hum.

If you saw the previews for Abduction, then you already know the film borrows heavily from the Bourne Identity franchise and attempts to paint Lautner as the next action hero. Sorry to say but the film comes up short and leaves one wondering why they spent 106 minutes of their life watching this. To be clear, the film is not horrible, but there are several issues that prevent it from being even mediocre. Oh, let me count the ways...

1. Taylor Lautner - he's a passable actor when it comes to Fantasy/ Romance films. He's even more charming here in the lead role as Nathan than he was in the role that put him on the map - Jacob Black in the Twilight series. That's the problem, Lautner is too charming and is more than a tad bit in over his head here in an action film.

2. The whole CIA thing is a long played-out plot element. Can we honestly get anything new out of this type of storyline? So there's a list of corrupt CIA agents, you say? How original! Why is there always a list? Anyway, I find it rather hard to fathom why CIA agents and bad guys in films like this are always portrayed as a group of people who obviously have no life outside of sitting around in some type of command center 24/7, trying to track every move of the lead character. Did I mention the speed at which they tap into random building surveillance cameras (that likely aren't linked to an external network in the first place)? How about their ability to take over a 9-1-1 call when they don't even know where their target is? It's just unbelievable, even in today's NSA-snooping society.

3. The overall plot - The story is a little slow to pick up, but once it does the action is decent enough; however, stupid plot elements begin to pile up very quickly from this point on. Writer Shawn Christensen does a sloppy job. There are several pieces of the story introduced that only serve as a way to move the plot along. There are too many loose ends remaining at the end of the movie and a few things occur that just aren't logical. By the time the credits role anyone with 1/4 a brain just won't believe the CIA went through that much trouble to hide a boy for years who, in the end, didn't even have access to the electronic list (and honestly, if you think about it, he never really should have) until well after the thugs came looking for him.

An expensive promo video

Author: Beauq81 from Belgrade
11 September 2012

A part of me was cheering for the "bad guys" because I'm Serbian and I agree with the things Kozlow (not a Serbian name, by the way) said to Nathan at the game, but I mostly wanted some resemblance of an actual life threatening situation. For instance, that guy on the train should have cut off Karen's finger - I know I would if I were an evil henchman.

I'm actually very disappointed to see great actors like Sigourney Weaver and Alfred Molina be in such a movie. But, I guess that's how you promote next big stars - you put better actors as supporting cast. I really hope that Lautner will live up to the hype everyone's creating around him.

I liked the idea, but like so many others this was sweetened up and made into an action chick flick.

What the?

Author: T Mobile from the Local Fluff
4 June 2012

This movie suffered from a debilitating case of "cash in on the Twilight mania". From the opening scene of what's-his-name sitting on the hood of a truck doing 70 mph, to the shirtless scene so many commenters have already noted, to the overly long hyperbole of fake, but caring, dad beating the crap out of him to teach him some survival skills: the first 30 minutes of this movie was an obvious pandering to the millions of preteen girls who squeal at the very sight of him (I use him because I can't actually recall the actor's name and I am too lazy to click the back button on my browser to check as I type this).

This was of course very surprising given the presence of other billed actors like Sigourney Weaver. Why she and some of the others would associate themselves with this script I am not certain.

I can see the storyboard now. Kid being chased by both the CIA and a Russian black ops team for some valuable information only he possesses. Throw in a girl, some car chases, a few fist fights: OK not bad. I can see how this would make a good plot device. However, this one failed miserably.

Maybe if the opening scene had started from the train this movie could have garnered some of my respect. However, that would require dispensing with the pointless back story. So if you try to piece together some of the plot points you just end up spraining your brain. That's how bad the plot is.

Many have noted the similarities to Bourne Identity. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Are you serious? The only similarity is they are both movies. No more. OK, I'm done.

Abduction

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
23 February 2012

From director John Singleton (Boyz n the Hood, Shaft, 2 Fast 2 Furious), I saw the trailer or some clips for this and thought it looked worth watching, so I gave it a chance. Basically Pennslyvania teenager Nathan Harper (The Twilight Saga's Taylor Lautner) is a slightly odd young man who lives at home with his parents, Mara (Coyote Ugly's Maria Bello) and Kevin (Harry Potter's Jason Isaacs), and has recurring nightmares that he discusses with psychiatrist Dr. Geraldine 'Geri' Bennett (Sigourney Weaver). One day while browsing the internet, he and his neighbour and longtime friend Karen Murphy (The Blind Side's Lily Collins) come across a website with photographs of children who are apparently missing and reported abducted, and using the ageing tool they see one of the children, named Steven Price, looks just like Nathan. He contacts the person who created the website to find out what is going on, but the person on the phone only wants to know his whereabouts and details, so he quickly hangs up, but of course the person phones someone in Europe to let them know someone on the list called. Nathan mentions this discovery to his "mother" and questions if she and his "father" are really his parents, but when she is about to explain the situation two men show up claiming to cops, but pull out guns and kill them both. Nathan knows that the people looking for him might to find him through his friends, he saves Karen from a house explosion, and they head for hospital so that she can recover. Nathan calls the police to report what is going, but he ends up talking to supposed CIA operative Frank Burton (Alfred Molina) who claims that he worked alongside his parents, and he tells him that he will be picked. Before they can get to him though he and Karen are picked up by Dr. Bennett telling them that they have to keep running, and she explains the situation with his parents, they were taking care of him for his real mother and father, and she warns him not to trust Burton. Now on the run the two "fugitive" friends head for the location she told them, an apartment in Virginia, and when they get there Nathan finds things to give him an insight into his father, and they end up having to run again after Karen calls her parents and Burton picked up. They also found the location of Nathan's biological mother Lorna Price (Elisabeth Röhm), but when they get there she is dead and buried in a near cemetery, and at her gravestone there are fresh flowers, so they get details of who put them there, it was a man called Paul Rasen. This man is somewhere in Nebraska, so with new fake identification cards they travel by train, but they are closely followed Nikola Kozlow (Michael Nyqvist), the man who was part of the website, and he has two agents on their tail as well. After escaping the train and running through the woods Burton catches up to them, and he convinces Nathan that they should talk, and he explains that the reason he is being chased is because his parents had a list of names that are of great value, and they now have that, and Burton himself is on it. After Burton and his partner Agent Sandra Burns (Antonique Smith) let him and Karen, as well as the terrorists get away, Nathan decides that he should phone Kozlow and make a deal for the list, as Kozlow says he will kill Karen's parents if he does not get it. So they arrange to meet each other in a public place, at a Pirates baseball game, and they do indeed sit by each other to carry out the exchange, of course Nathan is actually wanting to try and kill the man he is next to. By the end end of the film Kozlow and his agents are killed, the list is passed over to Burton, Dr. Bennett comes back to give them details about a new life Nathan and Karen can live, and Nathan even gets a call from his real father Martin Price (Dermot Mulroney) to explain that it is all over, but he will keep watch of him. Also starring Denzel Whitaker as Gilly and Ilia Volok as Sweater. Lautner is a little expressionless at times, but anyone who enjoys the Twilight films won't be disappointed with his pretty boy appeal, the supporting cast, particularly Molina and Weaver, do their parts as well as they can too. I will agree that it is a little flimsy at times, and the story is a bit patchy with its ideas, but it is a near enough interesting concept, and the chase sequences are certainly good viewing, so it is not a completely disappointing action thriller. Okay!

Surprising

Author: SpiritedAngel from United Kingdom
14 February 2012

I didn't go to see this movie when it was out in cinemas, I was told by a few friends who had seen it that I shouldn't bother. I now wish I hadn't listened.

Although it starts off a little slow there were so many good things about this movie that no one seems to want to point out. Contrary to what most of the opinions I have seen in many reviews, I think the acting was pretty good; not amazing I have to admit, but its not the worst thing I've ever seen. The acting in my opinion didn't distract me from what was happening, I didn't stop to think about how Launter could have had 'better expressions' in certain scenes; but I don't think many people would be in the situation that Nathan was in and be particularly expressive. Honestly, I wouldn't be thinking about my expressions, I'd much rather stay alive a little bit longer than pause to express myself. Personally I see nothing wrong with Launter or the way he acts, I think many of the people who think he is terrible at acting just don't like him for some reason, probably something to do with not liking Twilight or not liking his character in that, but I digress.

The plot is decent, there were a few things that I felt could have changed but it still worked the way it was. I actually liked all the different twists that other people think were there simply to keep the audience interested. I also liked the fact that the title made me have certain thoughts about what would happen, or what would be found out, and yet it was completely different.

All in all I would say this is a pretty decent film, and people should learn to lighten up and not judge everything so harshly if there is one little thing that they don't like.

Loses momentum constantly

Author: poweroftigers from New Zealand
28 January 2012

The main problem with this movie is the directors inability to let go of Taylor's current twilight audience and appeal to the action genre audience- this is why we are left wanting. The momentum staggers constantly in this film due to terrible editing like the girl stumbling down the bank just so Taylor can catch her. This hot chick baggage gradually and easily becomes just annoying and the movie would have been a lot better if they simply explored the main character as angry and lethal- Without the insipid bonding of the girl and hero- In an action movie the chick sometimes plays a significant role- but there is nothing significant about this girls role apart from letting teenage girls dream they were her as Taylor holds her hand constantly. Taylor needs to choose his roles more carefully in the future if he doesn't want to be typecast as a young pretty face. A fate most actors his age seem to be unable to escape.

RapidReview~9

Author: ashhub from United Kingdom
22 December 2011

I wondered at the low rating but by the end of the film i understood why~

The lead actor was poor ~ he could only manage about 2 expressions ~ shame because the rest of the cast did a pretty good job in a basic but not terrible action thriller~

Aimed primarily at teeny~boppers on their first date ~ with many probably giving it an OMG! ~ 10/10 ~ but for a 36 year old it has all been seen before only much better~

Much of the film was mediocre but watchable (with some pretty good action scenes) but the ending was just trite ~ painful to watch and mawkish dropping it from a 5 to 4~

Hoped it would be better...

Author: bigboydotzy from Romania
20 December 2011

Reading these other reviews, all I can say is poor-poor Taylor Lautner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of his but he is constantly being attacked by reviewers 'cause of his poor acting skills and his disability to wear a T-shirt. I really am sorry for the 'Team Jacob' fans out there but I really have to agree with every single one of these reviewers because unfortunately...THEY ARE RIGHT! Other than being an expert in taking his shirt off in front of camera, the guy isn't that good. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate Lautner and I really am sorry for him...

Even though I read a couple of reviews before watching this movie, I wanted to create an opinion for myself and I watched it very open minded hoping that I will be pleased with Taylor's performance but I wasn't.

In my opinion the script was the major problem in this movie, it seemed to me that there wasn't much time given into this script, I mean maybe if the writer gave it a little bit more time this movie would have been...well not epic, but enjoyable.

Putting the script aside, Taylor Lautner gave his normal performance which isn't that good...yet. I say 'yet' because I really hope that in the near future he will give a great performance in a future film, so all hope isn't gone yet, but let's hope this 'great performance' will come before the end of the Twilight series.