IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 17: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Not like Twilight

Author: lalitdevraj from United States
2 February 2012

Yes, its Taylor Lautner, but personally I do not feel that this movie is in the 4-5 band. I feel it is greater than a 6, but less than a 7.

Possibly it is an overflow of hatred from the protagonist in this movie being in the Twilight series which averaged down the rating for this, but I must say it is a good movie.

The storyline is rather basic with minor twists, but the screenplay did augment the movie overall. Cast, except Taylor who is the USP for the movie, could have been better.

Worth a watch as it does display the 'Thriller' genre as stated but at the PG-13 level of course.

There was no abduction in Abduction; Oversight, or cinematic tour de force?

Author: GlenFalkensteinTodaytoKnights from Australia
26 September 2011

Abduction pays homage to the Hitchcock classic North By Northwest through the central character of Nathan Price, portrayed by the often lauded yet intrinsically grounded Taylor Lautner - who brings to the table the youthful enthusiasm present in his seminal portrayal of the Werewolf Jacob. Like Cary Grant, he is thrust into a world of mystery, intrigue and government conspiracy when he is forced to flee from home with no one to trust, accompanied only by a contemporary Eva Marie Saint, in this case rising teen sensation Lily Collins.

The film also draws inspiration from Tarantino's modern classic Kill Bill, through the inclusion of a David Carradine-like character in the guise of the Nathan's absent father.

The dialogue alludes to modern conventions present in teen drama and escapist fantasy, for instance the Molly Ringwald 80's coming-of-age classics, the Chronicles of Narnia series and of course Stephanie Myers opus, the Twilight saga. Yet 'Abduction' goes beyond the limited scope of Twilight by engaging the audience in the machinations of a conspiracy reminiscent of cold war thrillers much like Spy Game and the more recent Bourne trilogy.

The intrigue of the central antagonist, Koslow, plays off the fears and concerns of today's youth, forcing Nathan to confront the tragedy within his family and the realities of his absent father. Perhaps most damning of all was Koslow's threat to 'delete' all of Nathan's Facebook friends - a true villain for the 21st century.

'Abduction' is a huge move for Swedish sensation Michael Nyqvist (Koslow) to the Hollywood mainstream following his turn in the Swedish adaptation of Steig Larson's Millennium trilogy. Abduction also serves as a wake-up call for less contemporary stars like Sigourney Weaver of Aliens fame, and Alfred Molina who rose to prominence following the release of adventure classic 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

The most risqué element of the story itself is the lack of any abduction within the film. We wonder what hidden meaning cinephiles will draw from what on surface would appear an error yet perhaps alludes to deeper elements within the plot.

Abduction is not just for Twi-hards, but lovers and believers in contemporary cinema, underdogs who love a film which punches above its weight and action junkies who relish the antics of a main character with Statham-like reflexes and prowess.

We eagerly await Lautner's next outing and hope that the promise of a sequel will be fulfilled.

Very Entertaining

Author: oceansblueblue from United Kingdom
30 September 2011

This is an action packed thriller with a touching love story and excellent performances from Taylor Lautner and Lily Collins. A memorably brutal fight on a train is a tour de force in the cinematic action history of on - board train battles. There was good chemistry between the two leads and a romantic sense of us 2 against the world. Not having seen the Twilight movies I did not bring any baggage into this movie unlike many other reviewers. I do have a complaint about the digital 8000 projection which gave a blurred,gritty and distorted background to the picture in the cinema I visited,but I still enjoyed the film.

Liked this movie

Author: starcj70 from VA, US
27 September 2011

I actually liked this movie. I went to see it with my 17 year old daughter. I'm not a fan of twilight after the first movie I wasn't interested. I LOVED Maria Bello and Jason Isaacs. I LOVED the action it was pretty good. That acting wasn't THAT bad. I could help but think... that's doc oc for Molina. I expected to see Spiderman spinning a web somewhere. I blame the writing on this one. In my house we group movies into 4 groups. Definitely must see in theater, Matinée prices..we'll take a chance, DVD when it comes to red box, and never watch. This is in round number 3. I paid 5 bucks to see this one. Lautner is an okay actor in this one. Lily was heavy in the eyebrow department. I'm not expecting great acting out of a movie like this one. Entertainment value alone gives it a good rating for me.

Enjoyable

Author: vicky3937 from Indiana
24 September 2011

Is this going to be an Oscar contender, NO. Is it a good movie, definitely. Not too much blood, profanity and really no sex. There were 6 of us together from 13 to 55 and we all enjoyed it.

I was certainly entertained and that is what it is all about. Could some things have been different, well sure. They can make it better when we check in with Nathan in about 10 years.

Hopefully Sigorney Weaver and Alfred Molina will still be alive to do it. Taylor is still fairly new as far as acting goes and still has some things to learn. Hopefully he will in time and I will be watching all his movies.

If you want a nice enjoyable movie then you must see this one.

Pretty good action flick

Author: dmjrolltide from United States
29 September 2011

My wife and I recently went to the RAVE theater and watched "Abduction". Don't really understand why there are so many negative reviews on this movie. The movie did start out a little slow, but once it got going, it held our attention till the very end. A lot of people say this movie is a cheap made for TV thriller at best, but I disagree. Plenty of drama, plenty of action, an interesting storyline made this movie worthwhile. Granted we went to the matinée and paid $14 to see this movie, but we still thought we got our money's worth. I felt the acting was good and pretty much spot on during most the movie. Yes, there may be some resemblance to the Bourne movies, but just enjoy Abduction for what it is, a solid thriller/action flick that was a lot of fun to watch. I will give it a solid 8 out of 10 stars. As a matter of fact when it hits BluRay, I will watch it again with my two daughters and their families.

Much more enjoyable than reviews indicate

Author: nossrepsalcin
6 December 2012

Well, so I must confess I gave this a 10 just to compensate for some of the silly low scores. None the less, I did find the film enjoyable and should easily warrant a 6 or so. Quite contrary to some reviews I was very impressed with the lead, Taylor Lautner, and I think he has a natural and honest way to him that makes even this kind of dialogue digestible. The problem is that this movie is aimed at teenagers and therefore lacks all dark or threatening elements, making the movie a tad to much Disney. The screen writing is a bit sloppy and childish, which further accentuates the b-movie quality. None of this is the lead's fault though, I mean what could he do to change the concept of this movie? Turn it down? No, even this movie obviously never would have been made if it wasn't for the studio wanting to bank on the Twilight popularity, I actually felt Lautner made it enjoyable.

Bourne Identity meets Twilight

Author: zippers94 from United States
6 November 2012

In the movie Abduction, directed by John Singleton, Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) is on a quest to discover his true identity. In this action thriller there is the typical love story, villain, and a young, cute actor. This film puts Taylor Lautner in motion and is not a bad film, as long as he remains in motion. Abduction resembles the Bourne Identity movies. A young man out on the run from some other society mixed in with a love story. The credit goes to John Singleton for the great cinematography, music, and pictures. The cinematography in the action scenes are exceptional. Also, the music fits what is happening on the screen and it draws the viewers into the movie. The camera swoons this heart throbbing 19 years old boy, especially with many close ups; however, Taylor's acting is another story. Taylor Lautner is exceptional at martial arts, which helps shape his perfectly sculpted abs. This teen star was stiff, easy to read, and predictable. It seemed as if Lautner was trying a little too hard to fit into his role and just memorized and recited his lines without matching the role. I would not say this film is a successful thriller but more of a chick-flick. I would recommend this movie to any teenage girl that wants someone good to look at, but not for anyone that would want watch a good action/ thriller.

Good but not great.

Author: Bruce722 from United States
25 October 2012

This seems to be a popular movie to hate for the critics but those guys are pathetic so I rarely listen to any of the garbage that spews out of their mouths. They like different, not good. This movie is the exact opposite... it's good, not different. There's nothing exceptional about this film. Taylor Lautner's acting range is still very limited so I'm not sure how many more lead roles he'll get in mainstream cinema. He's still young so he could still become an impressive action star because he's got the skill set for it in terms of fighting and athletic ability but if his acting doesn't improve he'll just be another of the bunch. The rest of the cast did a solid job though and the action sequences were done well. Lautner doing his own stunts helped in that area. The story, while not necessarily unique, still developed well. Overall, this was a good but not great movie that was plenty entertaining enough for its genre.

Taylor Lautners ABduction

Author: naptime84 from United States
16 September 2012

When reviewing a movie its important to know the difference between bad movies and movies that are complete and utter train-wrecks.A bad movie a least retains watch-ability.A train wreck on the other hand brings physical pain if you try to watch it. While bad this movie does not qualify as a wreck,namely because the director at least has some talent.Abduction exists entirely to see if a post "Twilight" Lautner can carry a movie.If he sticks to action movies like this I'm sure he will be mildly successful at least.However I doubt he'll last in anything dramatic. Not sure why but I keep flashing back to that fake movie trailer in "Last Action Hero" with Arnold as Hamlet.Needless to say Taylor's acting is pretty stiff and the rest of the cast phones it in for an easy paycheck.I don't even know why Sigourney weaver is in this. She spends her maybe five minutes of screen time looking like shes in pain or something. The story line involves Nathan, played by Lautner, and his new friend (i don't remember her name in the movie but its played by Phil Collins daughter Lily)coming across his picture on a missing persons website. Turns out his parents aren't his parents but agents working for the CIA who are protecting him while his father is away. Soon two assassins are knocking on the door.After his parents are killed Nathan disarms the remaining killer and beats him with a fire poker in an attempt to find out who sent him. This leads to one of the most absurd and unintentionally funny lines I think I've ever heard uttered in a movie, "i'm not going to die here, there's a bomb in the oven". This came out of nowhere and it was so absurd it had me laughing for half the movie trying to figure out where this bomb came from.The rest of the movie follows Nathan and his friend as they run through just about every action movie cliché thats been done better a thousand times before. Exploding house, jump into a pool, chased by evil Russians.Cia agents who may or may not be bad,a fight on a train. various chase scenes. you wont be surprised by anything that happens but at least you'll be entertained by it.