IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Bourne Identity meets Twilight

Author: zippers94 from United States
6 November 2012

In the movie Abduction, directed by John Singleton, Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) is on a quest to discover his true identity. In this action thriller there is the typical love story, villain, and a young, cute actor. This film puts Taylor Lautner in motion and is not a bad film, as long as he remains in motion. Abduction resembles the Bourne Identity movies. A young man out on the run from some other society mixed in with a love story. The credit goes to John Singleton for the great cinematography, music, and pictures. The cinematography in the action scenes are exceptional. Also, the music fits what is happening on the screen and it draws the viewers into the movie. The camera swoons this heart throbbing 19 years old boy, especially with many close ups; however, Taylor's acting is another story. Taylor Lautner is exceptional at martial arts, which helps shape his perfectly sculpted abs. This teen star was stiff, easy to read, and predictable. It seemed as if Lautner was trying a little too hard to fit into his role and just memorized and recited his lines without matching the role. I would not say this film is a successful thriller but more of a chick-flick. I would recommend this movie to any teenage girl that wants someone good to look at, but not for anyone that would want watch a good action/ thriller.

Good but not great.

Author: Bruce722 from United States
25 October 2012

This seems to be a popular movie to hate for the critics but those guys are pathetic so I rarely listen to any of the garbage that spews out of their mouths. They like different, not good. This movie is the exact opposite... it's good, not different. There's nothing exceptional about this film. Taylor Lautner's acting range is still very limited so I'm not sure how many more lead roles he'll get in mainstream cinema. He's still young so he could still become an impressive action star because he's got the skill set for it in terms of fighting and athletic ability but if his acting doesn't improve he'll just be another of the bunch. The rest of the cast did a solid job though and the action sequences were done well. Lautner doing his own stunts helped in that area. The story, while not necessarily unique, still developed well. Overall, this was a good but not great movie that was plenty entertaining enough for its genre.

Taylor Lautners ABduction

Author: naptime84 from United States
16 September 2012

When reviewing a movie its important to know the difference between bad movies and movies that are complete and utter train-wrecks.A bad movie a least retains watch-ability.A train wreck on the other hand brings physical pain if you try to watch it. While bad this movie does not qualify as a wreck,namely because the director at least has some talent.Abduction exists entirely to see if a post "Twilight" Lautner can carry a movie.If he sticks to action movies like this I'm sure he will be mildly successful at least.However I doubt he'll last in anything dramatic. Not sure why but I keep flashing back to that fake movie trailer in "Last Action Hero" with Arnold as Hamlet.Needless to say Taylor's acting is pretty stiff and the rest of the cast phones it in for an easy paycheck.I don't even know why Sigourney weaver is in this. She spends her maybe five minutes of screen time looking like shes in pain or something. The story line involves Nathan, played by Lautner, and his new friend (i don't remember her name in the movie but its played by Phil Collins daughter Lily)coming across his picture on a missing persons website. Turns out his parents aren't his parents but agents working for the CIA who are protecting him while his father is away. Soon two assassins are knocking on the door.After his parents are killed Nathan disarms the remaining killer and beats him with a fire poker in an attempt to find out who sent him. This leads to one of the most absurd and unintentionally funny lines I think I've ever heard uttered in a movie, "i'm not going to die here, there's a bomb in the oven". This came out of nowhere and it was so absurd it had me laughing for half the movie trying to figure out where this bomb came from.The rest of the movie follows Nathan and his friend as they run through just about every action movie cliché thats been done better a thousand times before. Exploding house, jump into a pool, chased by evil Russians.Cia agents who may or may not be bad,a fight on a train. various chase scenes. you wont be surprised by anything that happens but at least you'll be entertained by it.

some excitement but not much of a plot

Author: MLDinTN from TN
5 June 2012

This movie was OK, but some plot holes got to me, mainly about the logistics. First they are in Pittsburg, then go to Virginia in like 30 minutes then are on a train to Nebraska. The train stops, they eat a meal, and are suddenly back in Pittsburg. How does that happen? Anyways, it doesn't take Taylor Lautner long to get his shirt off. He sure looks good, but too bad his acting isn't. His acting is pretty bad in this and Lilly Collins isn't anything to talk about either. This is an action flick for teens. Lautner plays Nathan, a teen whose real parents are CIA operatives and his dad has made a bad guy angry. So that guy is after Nathan to use as ransom. Then the rest is your average run from the bad guys film.

FINAL VERDICT: For teens that can't get enough of a shirtless Lautner.

Aduct me from this movie please!

Author: Marc Davis from Maryland
23 September 2012

Teen sensation Taylor Lautner stars in this John Singleton film about a high school teenager who discovers his life is not the reality he thought it was. After seeing his face on a website for missing children, the comfortable suburban life he's lived for as long as he can remember comes crashing down around him. His parents are soon killed and he finds himself the target of the CIA and a gang of murderous thugs. He goes on the run and learns that his parents were not really his parents, but rather CIA agents whose mission was to protect him. He also learns that his biological father was a former CIA agent that had stolen an electronic list containing the names of corrupt CIA agents from a really bad guy. The really bad guy wants the list back really bad, and so the rest of the film finds Nathan and his high school sweetheart/childhood friend, Karen (Lily Collins) running from this really bad guy and the CIA. Ho-Hum.

If you saw the previews for Abduction, then you already know the film borrows heavily from the Bourne Identity franchise and attempts to paint Lautner as the next action hero. Sorry to say but the film comes up short and leaves one wondering why they spent 106 minutes of their life watching this. To be clear, the film is not horrible, but there are several issues that prevent it from being even mediocre. Oh, let me count the ways...

1. Taylor Lautner - he's a passable actor when it comes to Fantasy/ Romance films. He's even more charming here in the lead role as Nathan than he was in the role that put him on the map - Jacob Black in the Twilight series. That's the problem, Lautner is too charming and is more than a tad bit in over his head here in an action film.

2. The whole CIA thing is a long played-out plot element. Can we honestly get anything new out of this type of storyline? So there's a list of corrupt CIA agents, you say? How original! Why is there always a list? Anyway, I find it rather hard to fathom why CIA agents and bad guys in films like this are always portrayed as a group of people who obviously have no life outside of sitting around in some type of command center 24/7, trying to track every move of the lead character. Did I mention the speed at which they tap into random building surveillance cameras (that likely aren't linked to an external network in the first place)? How about their ability to take over a 9-1-1 call when they don't even know where their target is? It's just unbelievable, even in today's NSA-snooping society.

3. The overall plot - The story is a little slow to pick up, but once it does the action is decent enough; however, stupid plot elements begin to pile up very quickly from this point on. Writer Shawn Christensen does a sloppy job. There are several pieces of the story introduced that only serve as a way to move the plot along. There are too many loose ends remaining at the end of the movie and a few things occur that just aren't logical. By the time the credits role anyone with 1/4 a brain just won't believe the CIA went through that much trouble to hide a boy for years who, in the end, didn't even have access to the electronic list (and honestly, if you think about it, he never really should have) until well after the thugs came looking for him.

An expensive promo video

Author: Beauq81 from Belgrade
11 September 2012

A part of me was cheering for the "bad guys" because I'm Serbian and I agree with the things Kozlow (not a Serbian name, by the way) said to Nathan at the game, but I mostly wanted some resemblance of an actual life threatening situation. For instance, that guy on the train should have cut off Karen's finger - I know I would if I were an evil henchman.

I'm actually very disappointed to see great actors like Sigourney Weaver and Alfred Molina be in such a movie. But, I guess that's how you promote next big stars - you put better actors as supporting cast. I really hope that Lautner will live up to the hype everyone's creating around him.

I liked the idea, but like so many others this was sweetened up and made into an action chick flick.

Abduction

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
23 February 2012

From director John Singleton (Boyz n the Hood, Shaft, 2 Fast 2 Furious), I saw the trailer or some clips for this and thought it looked worth watching, so I gave it a chance. Basically Pennslyvania teenager Nathan Harper (The Twilight Saga's Taylor Lautner) is a slightly odd young man who lives at home with his parents, Mara (Coyote Ugly's Maria Bello) and Kevin (Harry Potter's Jason Isaacs), and has recurring nightmares that he discusses with psychiatrist Dr. Geraldine 'Geri' Bennett (Sigourney Weaver). One day while browsing the internet, he and his neighbour and longtime friend Karen Murphy (The Blind Side's Lily Collins) come across a website with photographs of children who are apparently missing and reported abducted, and using the ageing tool they see one of the children, named Steven Price, looks just like Nathan. He contacts the person who created the website to find out what is going on, but the person on the phone only wants to know his whereabouts and details, so he quickly hangs up, but of course the person phones someone in Europe to let them know someone on the list called. Nathan mentions this discovery to his "mother" and questions if she and his "father" are really his parents, but when she is about to explain the situation two men show up claiming to cops, but pull out guns and kill them both. Nathan knows that the people looking for him might to find him through his friends, he saves Karen from a house explosion, and they head for hospital so that she can recover. Nathan calls the police to report what is going, but he ends up talking to supposed CIA operative Frank Burton (Alfred Molina) who claims that he worked alongside his parents, and he tells him that he will be picked. Before they can get to him though he and Karen are picked up by Dr. Bennett telling them that they have to keep running, and she explains the situation with his parents, they were taking care of him for his real mother and father, and she warns him not to trust Burton. Now on the run the two "fugitive" friends head for the location she told them, an apartment in Virginia, and when they get there Nathan finds things to give him an insight into his father, and they end up having to run again after Karen calls her parents and Burton picked up. They also found the location of Nathan's biological mother Lorna Price (Elisabeth Röhm), but when they get there she is dead and buried in a near cemetery, and at her gravestone there are fresh flowers, so they get details of who put them there, it was a man called Paul Rasen. This man is somewhere in Nebraska, so with new fake identification cards they travel by train, but they are closely followed Nikola Kozlow (Michael Nyqvist), the man who was part of the website, and he has two agents on their tail as well. After escaping the train and running through the woods Burton catches up to them, and he convinces Nathan that they should talk, and he explains that the reason he is being chased is because his parents had a list of names that are of great value, and they now have that, and Burton himself is on it. After Burton and his partner Agent Sandra Burns (Antonique Smith) let him and Karen, as well as the terrorists get away, Nathan decides that he should phone Kozlow and make a deal for the list, as Kozlow says he will kill Karen's parents if he does not get it. So they arrange to meet each other in a public place, at a Pirates baseball game, and they do indeed sit by each other to carry out the exchange, of course Nathan is actually wanting to try and kill the man he is next to. By the end end of the film Kozlow and his agents are killed, the list is passed over to Burton, Dr. Bennett comes back to give them details about a new life Nathan and Karen can live, and Nathan even gets a call from his real father Martin Price (Dermot Mulroney) to explain that it is all over, but he will keep watch of him. Also starring Denzel Whitaker as Gilly and Ilia Volok as Sweater. Lautner is a little expressionless at times, but anyone who enjoys the Twilight films won't be disappointed with his pretty boy appeal, the supporting cast, particularly Molina and Weaver, do their parts as well as they can too. I will agree that it is a little flimsy at times, and the story is a bit patchy with its ideas, but it is a near enough interesting concept, and the chase sequences are certainly good viewing, so it is not a completely disappointing action thriller. Okay!

Nice try...

Author: kdorsey321 from United States
3 February 2012

Checked out the movie "Abduction," starring Taylor Lautner(Twilight), Lily Collins, and Alfred Molina(Spiderman 2). At first sight, I honestly thought it was going to be a good movie. It looked like it had potential and I felt like it was a good time to break out Taylor Lautner, beings though the end to the "Twilight Saga" is near.

I'm not sure were to start with this movie. There are so many things wrong, awkward, or just plain mind boggling that I'm just not quite sure were to begin. For one, there wasn't a whole lot of "good" action in this film. The action scenes made me feel like Taylor Lautner didn't do enough or he didn't do enough personal training. Some action parts of this movie just make you shake your head. Then he(Taylor Lautner) needs to work on his acting. There were just some parts were he made you feel like he could have just simply done better. This movie feels like it was a little rushed. The plot wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The plot definitely could have used some work. Even the sub plot is suspect. I know they could have thought of a better way for the two love birds to link up in this movie. I'm a little surprised this movie came to theater.

I'm giving this movie a 5 out of 10. You don't need to see this movie. You don't need to Redbox; buy it on DVD, or Netflix this movie. Hopefully, Taylor's next movie is a better one!

An adequate action film by Taylor Lautner

Author: neenahhh from Philippines
27 December 2011

Nathan and his friend, Karen, find a website that has photos of children who were believed to be missing or abducted. They soon stumble across one of Nathan's baby pictures on the website. Before he can question his parents, they are both killed. Nathan and Karen set out to discover the truth behind Nathan's real identity.

After thinking about it, I realized that this movie was pretty adequate. Or even less than. Yes, I am a fan of Taylor Lautner, but this film wasn't that great.. The acting was just mediocre, and the plot was not at all intriguing. If a person who didn't know Taylor Lautner watched this, I bet they would have been very very unimpressed with this movie. The plot wasn't very strong. It didn't hold my interest for long. I did like the concept of the film, yes, but I didn't like its execution. Here's hoping for a better film starring Taylor Lautner.

Viewed on: December 27, 2011

RapidReview~9

Author: ashhub from United Kingdom
22 December 2011

I wondered at the low rating but by the end of the film i understood why~

The lead actor was poor ~ he could only manage about 2 expressions ~ shame because the rest of the cast did a pretty good job in a basic but not terrible action thriller~

Aimed primarily at teeny~boppers on their first date ~ with many probably giving it an OMG! ~ 10/10 ~ but for a 36 year old it has all been seen before only much better~

Much of the film was mediocre but watchable (with some pretty good action scenes) but the ending was just trite ~ painful to watch and mawkish dropping it from a 5 to 4~