IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 18: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Thrilling At Times, Bummer At Times

Author: jimmyro from Israel
11 May 2013

As teen flics go, I relinquished a demand for total logic of my own volition. The movie began alright, and moved into the thriller suspense genre smooth enough. Even the initial action scenes were acceptable. Then came the wall known as linear plot development. Things stop making sense, became totally unbelievable and I stopped caring. The leading lady looks like a petite fourteen year old with thick eyebrows, like a Russian bear. The make out scenes border on illegal voyeuristic stomach turning filth. She is an unconvincing leading actor. Taylor passes the grade as a leading man, but just barely. Then why did I give it seven stars ? Because the first half succeeded in knotting my stomach and getting me excited before the all too common in Hollywood, devastating mess they called an ending. All in all, some fun, some suspense, some intrigue and I recommend.

The bad guys and the god guys alike are trying to get him

Author: Amanda Lea Tully from Canada
29 January 2012

Maybe this film is intended to be watched exclusively by the fans of Taylor Lautner, for there are much TOO MANY close ups and long scenes where all you see is his facial expression.

Unfortunately the director is following the "recipe" for success, take the shirt off of the main character as soon as the opportunity arises or show his fighting expertise.

The heroine, Lily Collins, does nothing but complain and introduce odd conversation subjects in the middle of a battle.

On the other hand the plot is vaguely tied by some encrypted list who everyone wants to get. The adults actors: Molina, Weaver, Isaacs and Bello do a good job, but since everything dances around Lautner, they are minimized by the script.

Do yourself a favour and choose something else instead when deciding which film to watch.

An adequate action film by Taylor Lautner

Author: neenahhh from Philippines
27 December 2011

Nathan and his friend, Karen, find a website that has photos of children who were believed to be missing or abducted. They soon stumble across one of Nathan's baby pictures on the website. Before he can question his parents, they are both killed. Nathan and Karen set out to discover the truth behind Nathan's real identity.

After thinking about it, I realized that this movie was pretty adequate. Or even less than. Yes, I am a fan of Taylor Lautner, but this film wasn't that great.. The acting was just mediocre, and the plot was not at all intriguing. If a person who didn't know Taylor Lautner watched this, I bet they would have been very very unimpressed with this movie. The plot wasn't very strong. It didn't hold my interest for long. I did like the concept of the film, yes, but I didn't like its execution. Here's hoping for a better film starring Taylor Lautner.

Viewed on: December 27, 2011

RapidReview~9

Author: ashhub from United Kingdom
22 December 2011

I wondered at the low rating but by the end of the film i understood why~

The lead actor was poor ~ he could only manage about 2 expressions ~ shame because the rest of the cast did a pretty good job in a basic but not terrible action thriller~

Aimed primarily at teeny~boppers on their first date ~ with many probably giving it an OMG! ~ 10/10 ~ but for a 36 year old it has all been seen before only much better~

Much of the film was mediocre but watchable (with some pretty good action scenes) but the ending was just trite ~ painful to watch and mawkish dropping it from a 5 to 4~

Hoped it would be better...

Author: bigboydotzy from Romania
20 December 2011

Reading these other reviews, all I can say is poor-poor Taylor Lautner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of his but he is constantly being attacked by reviewers 'cause of his poor acting skills and his disability to wear a T-shirt. I really am sorry for the 'Team Jacob' fans out there but I really have to agree with every single one of these reviewers because unfortunately...THEY ARE RIGHT! Other than being an expert in taking his shirt off in front of camera, the guy isn't that good. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate Lautner and I really am sorry for him...

Even though I read a couple of reviews before watching this movie, I wanted to create an opinion for myself and I watched it very open minded hoping that I will be pleased with Taylor's performance but I wasn't.

In my opinion the script was the major problem in this movie, it seemed to me that there wasn't much time given into this script, I mean maybe if the writer gave it a little bit more time this movie would have been...well not epic, but enjoyable.

Putting the script aside, Taylor Lautner gave his normal performance which isn't that good...yet. I say 'yet' because I really hope that in the near future he will give a great performance in a future film, so all hope isn't gone yet, but let's hope this 'great performance' will come before the end of the Twilight series.

I kept waiting for the werewolf to come out...

Author: Ilona Z from Netherlands
23 October 2011

I had some issues with Taylor Lautner's acting here in Abduction. The movie itself was okay, but I just kept waiting for the werewolf to pop out at some point. His acting was quite good, but it's the danger with casting actors who are famous for iconic roles (just like we can't ever see Daniel Radcliffe NOT being Harry Potter, or see Robert Pattinson as something other than a vampire, or see Sarah Michelle Gellar not being Buffy, and so on and so forth). Especially with Taylor looking so much like the Jacob he plays in the Twilight Saga.

About Abduction: I liked the storyline. Made me wonder what I'd think if I would ever find myself on a missing children's website. But come on, he didn't look anything like his 'parents'. Some bells must've been going off in his head! That being said, I rate Abduction a 5 out of 10. It was entertaining, but it would be more believable with someone else in the lead role. Go ahead, see for yourself!

Bad writing more to blame than the acting

Author: emma-190-611245 from United States
19 October 2011

I'm giving this movie a generous 5 because there's a lot to be said for an action movie with this kind of star power behind it. John Singleton did what he was supposed to do, the actor's hit their marks, but the dialogue was so stilted & ridiculous, there was no way to save this movie. Truly, I blame the script. The idea of the story is great - a high school kid finds out he is one of those kids on the side of the milk carton? That's pretty powerful stuff to teens who may be experiencing the "Who Am I"s before even entering the theatre. However, good movies make us care about the people in them. And you do that with a good script. Abduction is convoluted and borrows heavily from the Mission Impossible "NOC list with traitor on the inside," story. But what really kills this movie is the horrible dialogue. The best scenes are with Jason Isaacs and Maria Bello - we want more of them, but alas, they are killed in the beginning and we never see them again. It would have been nice to explore, even briefly, what led Nathan's father (played by Dermot Mulroney's mouth) to place his son with them & Dr. Bennett. And what about Sigourney Weaver's character, Dr. Bennett? Sigourney Weaver is a great actress and ill used as pure exposition in this movie. The last scene in particular has such awful dialogue it's a miracle the actors didn't just shrug and walk away. The premise, plot & cast had promise, but bad dialogue will take a film off the rails every time. Stiff acting doesn't help, and teenage boys are stiff & awkward sometimes so that is more excusable. Note to scriptwriters: actually read out loud what you write. If it feels stilted, it is.

Very good teen action movie

Author: Johnny_Hing from United States
20 September 2012

I am really astounded at how many people are trashing this movie. Most of it appears to be based on Taylor Lautner and his "shirtless" persona from the Twilight films. Despite being a prolific movie-watcher, I have not as yet watched any of the Twilight films, for whatever reason. Perhaps this is a good thing, as I had no preconceived notions of Lautner going in, and had no expectations one way or another.

The drunken party scene was well-executed, and served a purpose in developing his character, being that his Dad challenged him to a fight (with gloves) when he got home, apparently to teach him never to let his guard down. Whatever people want to say about his acting (and I thought it was decent), he is a skilled martial artist in real life. Thus, the fight scenes were realistic, and we didn't have to suffer through a shaky camera trying to disguise an actor's athletic shortcomings, as is the case in many action movies out there. The casting was good (so refreshing to see a real teen play a teen). The cinematography is excellent. The final 20 minutes or so, set in and around PNC Park in Pittsburg, was a visual treat. Amid the action and drama, we actually get to see a few pitches thrown, and even a home-run over the center field fence. The film had a denouement, and didn't leave you muttering to yourself "What the heck just happened?" The movie had a few flaws, but those have been beaten to death and are exaggerated beyond recognition. No, this isn't Die Hard, nor does it try to be. (Even if it had tried, no doubt people would be screaming "Die Hard ripoff!") It is a good, solid teen action movie with Phil Collins' lovely daughter Lily as the co-star. Personally, I recommend it, for whatever that's worth. (Nothing, I know.) Seriously, this does not deserve the vicious thrashing that many reviewers are meting out. Is it blockbuster material? No, certainly not. Is it worth the price of a DVD rental? Yes, indeed.

A movie that high school kids will like. A good idea that was wasted. I was expecting worse, but this was still bad. I say C

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
14 January 2012

"If I were adopted why would my picture end up on a missing persons website?" Nathan is a high school senior and is assigned to work on a report on sociology. When him and his partner begin to look at missing persons websites for research they are shocked to see a little boy that looks like Nathan. When he questions his mother about it their home is attacked and Nathan and his friend are forced to flee. I will start by saying that I am not a Taylor Lautner fan. Nothing to do with "Twilight" but more to do with his lack of acting ability. I went in to this looking to make fun of it and as much as I hate to admit it it was better then I expected. Still really bad, but better then I thought. I think my big problem with this one is that it had such a neat idea and seemed to do nothing with it. The movie had about ten minutes of actually story strung together with bad acting (from Lautner) and action. It also could be that I'm in my 30's and am 15 years too old for this type of movie but I did not really enjoy this. Overall a good movie for high school kids. I give it a C.

Don't loose your time watching this movie.

Author: lash36 from United States
13 January 2012

The story is OK, but acting is so bad. Taylor Lautner needs to go to an Acting school NOW! He needs to stop just making faces all the time and Get into the character. If you have breaking arm or you are sick on Bed, watch it. 7.5 million dollars! Wow, he does not deserved, as all The movies he was acting the lines, the way he walk everything is Wrong, he is good in fighting, no talking, showing his abs and the with Teeth. The other actors you will forget as soon the movie end. Thank You. I do not have much to write, music OK, length OK, casting Uhhhhh. My wife was sleeping the last 20 minutes. IMDb gave the perfect score to this movie and this is great.