IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 18: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Pretty good action flick

Author: dmjrolltide from United States
29 September 2011

My wife and I recently went to the RAVE theater and watched "Abduction". Don't really understand why there are so many negative reviews on this movie. The movie did start out a little slow, but once it got going, it held our attention till the very end. A lot of people say this movie is a cheap made for TV thriller at best, but I disagree. Plenty of drama, plenty of action, an interesting storyline made this movie worthwhile. Granted we went to the matinée and paid $14 to see this movie, but we still thought we got our money's worth. I felt the acting was good and pretty much spot on during most the movie. Yes, there may be some resemblance to the Bourne movies, but just enjoy Abduction for what it is, a solid thriller/action flick that was a lot of fun to watch. I will give it a solid 8 out of 10 stars. As a matter of fact when it hits BluRay, I will watch it again with my two daughters and their families.

Well..... At least Taylor Lautner is nice to look at

Author: Davis P from United States
24 November 2015

Abduction is a spy film starring Taylor Lautner, lily Collins, and Sigourney Weaver. Now I will say that it does have a couple of entertaining action sequences and that Sigourney Weaver does a good job in her role. But other than that it's really just an extremely generic and cliché teenage spy movie. Taylor Lautner is nice to look at and for the straight guys Lily Collins is there, so if nothing else you got some I candy. The movie just suffers from a lack of originality. The lines of dialogue her also pretty cheesy. Taylor Lautner needs to improve upon his acting a good bit if he wants to continue his film acting career.

Action good, acting bad.

Author: Saiph90 from United Kingdom
16 December 2014

Not the worst film I have watched on the plus side the action scenes were OK, the acting was a bit stone faced and not in the drug sense. I believe this is a vehicle for an actor from the Twilight franchise, being a bloke in his 50's I guess I am not the target audience. This I presume is aimed at teenage girls and the bloke obliges within seconds of the start of the movie by ripping his shirt off. The story is slightly beyond far fetched for example his foster parents simply give up their lives to protect a list? a college kid who appears not to be the sharpest tool in the box outwits the CIA, international assassins? never mind at least the dialogue was audible and it progressed at a decent pace. The acting was a bit and I am being kind, one dimensional, I guess his direction was, portray teenage angst, not sure what Phil Collins daughter direction was as her expression barely changes from scene to scene.

OK I Watched the Movie

Author: dmaire1221-222-44515 from United States
10 July 2014

First I guessed the ending at the beginning . Why you ask , because there was other films out there just like this one . Actually a few out there with the same plot . It was done in the 90s. Not to shabby on Lilly Collins acting ,for her first leading role . Taylor Lautner, for his first leading role did a good job too . A little bit of Jacob Black bleeding out in this movie but not too much . I think people were expecting too much on a low budget film . I think the Taylor Lautner fans wanted more love scenes in the film . Had the plot not been done before ,(several times) it would have been more of a suspense in the film . I really think someone has it out for this kid / young adult actor Taylor Lautner and someone should let go of the grudge . The movie really wasn't that bad and did better then A LOT of films out there worldwide box-office profits . (with higher budgets ). The extras on the HS students could have been better . Father and son boxing fight, dumb.

Yet it was interesting to see Lautner really did know karate . I am starting to see what happens when you have connections in Hollywood and you don't . The reviews were rough on this film when and I don't see why .

I wouldn't say don't go see the movie but don't expect to see high budget film quality . I enjoyed the movie and it look like others did too . End of Story .

Pretty naive storytelling and sadly enough, not much more.

Author: eline-hoskens
8 June 2014

If you're irrationally fond of actor Taylor Lautner, you might like this movie. But even then, I would recommend you to create your own cut of 'sweaty shirtlessness' out of YouTube scraps. It would save a lot of time and would allow you to add the same exhilarating semi-naked scenes more than once. Personally I don't manage to look passed his huge potato nose but I remember having been fond of tanned dark-haired and brown-eyed types myself as a teenager so I'm not judging his fans whatsoever.

If you're looking for a good, coherent story though, I would skip this movie. (Here I am again with another of my annoying story-centered reviews) The opening scene is already very irritating, and I'm not just talking about the shallow score. I believe the intended function of that scene is suggesting the main character is a borderline juvenile delinquent bad boy who prefers transportation by lazing on the hood of a car before crashing garden parties and dozing off in his own puke. He does not like to obey his caring mom and peculiar and slightly sadistic dad, who reminded me of one of my former martial arts teachers.

The writers then introduced a school project to both establish his romantic interest (the girl across door) and to introduce him to a missing persons website that features his picture (and which turns out to be simple bait afterwards while he turns out to be simple leverage in a plot in which he has no further importance). He then loses his parents and home and is forced to run with his just as forced sidekick girlfriend-to-be ('cause as his shrink suggested him, he'd better left her in the car under her protection as she seemed to be able to manage herself). Then there's a succession of explosions, gunfire and chases to fill the rest of the plot. The whole is explained by vague and naive mumbling about a former CIA dad, a secret list of people who traded government secrets (that was in a cell phone Nathan had nothing to do with and wouldn't even have found in the first place if it wasn't for this unnatural plot development) and lack of details. I suspect that the writers did not know themselves how to tie this story together which lead to this faint infusion of a storyline. There's nothing really exciting about a story that revolves around a character who remains invisible and which flaws are masked by a main character whose only contribution is taking his shirt off once in a while, or is this a witty reference to the Twilight series that I missed? And knowing the semi-good as well as the bad guys have all the devices to track the main characters at all times does not add a lot of tension or necessity to the story. This movie is a bit belittling in that it assumes people only need a popular lead actor to appreciate a movie and that it considers its audience not smart enough to notice their attempts to cover the plot holes with a vague secret list of important names. It's also a sad waste of time for a great talent like Sigourney Weaver.

Despite its bad reviews I gave this movie a chance. Although a majority of bad reviews does not always mean a movie is crappy (if you can ever claim this objectively at all), in this case I would indeed not specifically recommend it to anyone. But if you plan to watch it anyway, I won't try to stop you. See if you enjoy it for yourself.

The Bourne Identity (for early teens)

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
29 May 2014

I don't know whether I should be ashamed for liking this film or not. There's absolutely nothing new here that you haven't already seen (assuming you've been consuming a basic diet of Hollywood mainstream movies for the last two decades like I have).

Abduction is about a boy Taylor Lautner (from Twilight fame) who discovers he is suddenly on the run from a group of baddies (you know the type - foreign accents, plenty of disposable henchmen and can only shoot bottles when firing machine guns at a teenager). Um, that's about it really. Taylor gets chased here, Taylor gets chased there, hooks up with a pretty young girl with big eyebrows along the way - that sort of thing.

However, Abduction's big difference is that, instead of an adult being hunted by baddies who can't shoot straight (or overpower a fifteen year old), it's the afore-mentioned fifteen year old. And, baring in mind that there's minimal violence (defined by a lack of the red stuff when people get shot), this film is largely aimed at mid teens. It has plenty of pop culture references to Lady Gaga and Facebook that will amuse their generation.

I couldn't really think of anything wrong with it. Okay, I've seen it all before and it ticks all boxes. It's not a classic, but it's entertaining enough.

If you haven't seen this type of sinister-conspiracy-CIA-chase-type-film before, you'll probably love it and give it 5/5 (or just someone from 'Team Jacob').

If however, you grew up collecting the original Star Wars toys and can remember when Transformers had nothing to do with Michael Bay, you may feel like it's Beverly Hills 90210 mixed with Jason Bourne and your score will be more around the 3/5 mark.

Maybe I'm just a child at heart. I actually appreciated it for a piece of silly, chase-orientated action entertainment. Plus it had Sigourney Weaver in it - and Ripley rocks.

Give it a go. There's worse out there (Michael Bay, are you reading this?)

Twillight haters can't get off Lautner's back.

Author: angiris
19 April 2014

This film is good and its blatantly obvious that the most of the negative ratings are dominated by a negative twillight attitude. How do I know this... Because this films story - even though its not cannon or anything special - is good and decent. It's your standard action flick with a ton of good actors and some surprises thrown into the mix... Whats not to like?

Singleton may not have created a masterpiece here - maybe the films purpose is to grant Lautner and Collins some time in the spotlight since they're both up and going actors. Maybe the idea is just to make a simple action flick or maybe it's a simple cash-in. Hell I don't know but I DO KNOW that the content here is entertaining and respectable. The acting is solid, the film doesn't look cheap in any way and the story - while feeling quite rushed and there are loop holes present - isn't bad. The potential is there though it isn't utilized to it's full extent. Having said that that can be said about almost every single movie nowadays...

If you like watching a respectable but nothing major action flick with a bunch of good actors who all do their part well then this film is a good choice. Maybe some kind of Sunday night entertainment or something or just for killing time .. Hell if I know.

I rate this film a 6 for being a "good film" not a great film, not a super film, nothing like that. 6 for good and that's what it is.

Entertaining, simple, action-packed, bit of love here and there. Its a stereotypical action flick actually and even though I'm not much for such films the fact that there are so many good actors in it make it entertaining and worth a look at least if you got nothing better to do and looking for something.

Nothing special just simple action with good actors.

And all you twillight haters... Stop throwing your hateful ratings all over the Twillight cast's other movies. Your ratings are anything but objective and you're dooming the films one eyesight rather than on content. I bet half the people who rated this didn't even finish the film. They just saw Taylor Lautner.. thought twillight and BAM... down-rated.. Now I can't prove that of course but I can't help to see a connection between the twillight hating and the poor ratings that Lautner's first leading role in a film got. Maybe I'm wrong here... But honestly... I don't think so.

Stop hating and start reviewing the actual content and not actors backgrounds... You're rating the film... not the actors...

So much potential...

Author: Movie Lover from United Kingdom
1 March 2014

Before I give my thoughts on this movie, can I just make one thing clear. A lot of people have called this film 'terrible'. It is not terrible and is worth watching.

First off, I'll start with good things about this film...

Lautner is great. Because he's popular with the ladies, I think people don't notice his acting skills. He portrays a very convincing and complicated role of teenager, Nathan. Secondly, this movie is full of action. Literally, there is not a dull moment. It is moderately violent, but no major injury detail which is good if you don't like blood! The plot is complicated enough to keep you interested but not overly confusing.

However. There are times when the effects and directing could have been improved. The movie has so much potential. I think there are several moments where the tension could have been built, dialogue could have been improved, and the whole layout of the film!

Despite the negatives, this film is worth watching. It may not be the best action/thriller, but I've seen worse!

Interesting Concept Defeated by Sub-Par screenplay

Author: KA Metcalf (pioneerkaren@gmail.com) from North Carolina, US
27 July 2013

I had high hopes for this film based on the original concept and the caliber of the casting. Unfortunately, the direction of the screenplay did nothing but create implausible developments and dispassionate dialog.

Many reviewers have placed sole blame for the film's shortcomings on the shoulders of Taylor Lautner, but I feel that he, and the entire cast, did the best work possible with the script available.

To begin with, Lautner portrays well the average, privileged high school student with normal adolescent problems- like how to ask out the girl he likes. The film creates a strong family dynamic for Nathan and his parents, Kevin and Mara. Yet, when Nathan believes he sees his picture on a missing children website, he doesn't go to them with his questions. This begins the screenplay's failure to portray any semblance of reality. The attack that killed his parents could have occurred while Nathan was learning the truth thus sending him on the run and in search of the missing pieces of his past.

The script limits Nathan on the amount of grief, indeed the amount of residual effects, he suffers over the loss of his parents. In fact, no other character ever refers to Kevin and Mara as his parents. Since they did, in fact, raise him... they should be acknowledged as his parents. In removing that emotional connection, the screenplay voids much of Nathan's attachment to them.

The screenwriter relies heavily on gimmicks rather than focusing on substantial content dialog. Even the veteran actors' characters seem to be hollow with no real depth. To lay blame on the shoulders of the young star is to sell him short when he does the best he can with the script he was given.

Even with its shortcomings, I still enjoyed the movie... more as a tongue-in-cheek nod to an action movie, but still enjoyable. I suggest watching it again paying close attention to dialog and content rather than putting Lautner alone under the microscope.

semi reliable film

Author: torstensonjohn from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 December 2012

In the interest of the critics and audience this had moments where the the film held its own. The film is a induced with characteristics of Bourne meets Spy Kids meets the old film Cloak and Dagger. The genre of spy/action/suspense and drama rolled into one has run its course through the industry. With the likes of Alfred Molina, Maria Bello(gorgeous as always)Jason Isaacs, and Sigourney Weaver helped the interest, the wrong casting was the lead of Lautner who is just dull. The movie did move quickly and was able to hold interest throughout. The fight scene were decently choreographed, the action scenes could have been better evolved in the genre of things. Not a terrible film but definitely not one that spoke to you in volumes. If in fact your invested in watching a suspense,action, drama ride for a little bit then pick this one to see.