IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

worth a look

Author: catear13
28 October 2011

The first time I saw this movie I stopped after half an hour, because it seemed so silly. This was before the (not entirely unexpected) irrational making out between Nathan (Lautner) and Karen (Collins)to name just one completely illogical piece of the plot. My friends convinced me to come along and see it so I thought why not, and can't say I didn't enjoy myself. Yes, you can tell how it's going to end ten minutes into the movie, yes you get to see Lautners abs in just about every scene for no apparent reason and yes, there are a lot of overly dramatic shots of Lautners face trying to depict an emotion which then comes out looking like constipation. But there's some action, some kissing, some drama and with some suspension of disbelief it's an okay movie. Surprisingly, there are some cast members you wouldn't expect to be acting alongside the likes of Lautner (Sigourney Weaver, Jason Isaacs etc.) which is a good thing, otherwise the movie would be even more of a teenie movie pretending to be something serious(which in essence it still is). All in all, go see, have a laugh (that Lautner surprised face is worth a look)but don't come with high expectations.

Abduction.....well?

Author: robin_bird59 from United States
3 October 2011

So, I can't say that it was my favorite movie, but I will say if you are a fan of The Twilight Saga you will love this movie, but just cause Taylor Latner takes his shirt off, doesn't make it a good movie. It is very fast paced, and I will say some of the fighting scenes are pretty good, but Taylor Lautner isn't made for this kind of action movie. Lily Collins definitely wouldn't have been at the top of my list for the lead female role, I feel like she would do better in a love story, but i will say it did look like she tried her best to make this movie. If you watch this movie, I suggest that you pay attention to names, because there are a bunch of different characters and if you don't pay attention, you will be lost. Overall the movie was, alright, it definitely could've been better though.

Juvenile Action Flick

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
2 October 2011

After watching this juvenile action flick, you will find that "Abduction" is strangely titled because at the end of everything, absolutely no one gets or got abducted! Haha! Anyway, if you imagine this film to be the junior version of the Bourne films, you may get what you want. But Taylor Lautner is no Matt Damon. In "Abduction," Lautner plays Nathan, a conflicted teenager who gets his world turned upside down when he sees his face on a website for missing children.

All you see in the poster is Taylor Lautner name and picture. But as the credits were being showed, you will be surprised with all the big names who are involved with this seemingly B-movie. The director is John Singleton, who launched his career with an Oscar nomination for Best Director with "Boyz N the Hood." You do not really hear much about him lately though. In the supporting cast are notable actors like Alfred Molina, Jason Isaacs and Sigourney Weaver.

The story is sort of interesting and twisty. There is a bit of the recent film "Hanna" in it somewhere, with a teenage protagonist, as well as the CIA and family issues. However, the execution is too tacky and florid. Too many convenient coincidences. The acting is mediocre, just as you would expect for a B-action movie. At this point, if ever Taylor makes more movies like this after the "Twilight" franchise, he would probably be only at the level of Jean Claude Van Damme or Jason Statham. It is now his move to prove our prediction wrong.

Not like Twilight

Author: lalitdevraj from United States
2 February 2012

Yes, its Taylor Lautner, but personally I do not feel that this movie is in the 4-5 band. I feel it is greater than a 6, but less than a 7.

Possibly it is an overflow of hatred from the protagonist in this movie being in the Twilight series which averaged down the rating for this, but I must say it is a good movie.

The storyline is rather basic with minor twists, but the screenplay did augment the movie overall. Cast, except Taylor who is the USP for the movie, could have been better.

Worth a watch as it does display the 'Thriller' genre as stated but at the PG-13 level of course.

There was no abduction in Abduction; Oversight, or cinematic tour de force?

Author: GlenFalkensteinTodaytoKnights from Australia
26 September 2011

Abduction pays homage to the Hitchcock classic North By Northwest through the central character of Nathan Price, portrayed by the often lauded yet intrinsically grounded Taylor Lautner - who brings to the table the youthful enthusiasm present in his seminal portrayal of the Werewolf Jacob. Like Cary Grant, he is thrust into a world of mystery, intrigue and government conspiracy when he is forced to flee from home with no one to trust, accompanied only by a contemporary Eva Marie Saint, in this case rising teen sensation Lily Collins.

The film also draws inspiration from Tarantino's modern classic Kill Bill, through the inclusion of a David Carradine-like character in the guise of the Nathan's absent father.

The dialogue alludes to modern conventions present in teen drama and escapist fantasy, for instance the Molly Ringwald 80's coming-of-age classics, the Chronicles of Narnia series and of course Stephanie Myers opus, the Twilight saga. Yet 'Abduction' goes beyond the limited scope of Twilight by engaging the audience in the machinations of a conspiracy reminiscent of cold war thrillers much like Spy Game and the more recent Bourne trilogy.

The intrigue of the central antagonist, Koslow, plays off the fears and concerns of today's youth, forcing Nathan to confront the tragedy within his family and the realities of his absent father. Perhaps most damning of all was Koslow's threat to 'delete' all of Nathan's Facebook friends - a true villain for the 21st century.

'Abduction' is a huge move for Swedish sensation Michael Nyqvist (Koslow) to the Hollywood mainstream following his turn in the Swedish adaptation of Steig Larson's Millennium trilogy. Abduction also serves as a wake-up call for less contemporary stars like Sigourney Weaver of Aliens fame, and Alfred Molina who rose to prominence following the release of adventure classic 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

The most risqué element of the story itself is the lack of any abduction within the film. We wonder what hidden meaning cinephiles will draw from what on surface would appear an error yet perhaps alludes to deeper elements within the plot.

Abduction is not just for Twi-hards, but lovers and believers in contemporary cinema, underdogs who love a film which punches above its weight and action junkies who relish the antics of a main character with Statham-like reflexes and prowess.

We eagerly await Lautner's next outing and hope that the promise of a sequel will be fulfilled.

Very Entertaining

Author: oceansblueblue from United Kingdom
30 September 2011

This is an action packed thriller with a touching love story and excellent performances from Taylor Lautner and Lily Collins. A memorably brutal fight on a train is a tour de force in the cinematic action history of on - board train battles. There was good chemistry between the two leads and a romantic sense of us 2 against the world. Not having seen the Twilight movies I did not bring any baggage into this movie unlike many other reviewers. I do have a complaint about the digital 8000 projection which gave a blurred,gritty and distorted background to the picture in the cinema I visited,but I still enjoyed the film.

Liked this movie

Author: starcj70 from VA, US
27 September 2011

I actually liked this movie. I went to see it with my 17 year old daughter. I'm not a fan of twilight after the first movie I wasn't interested. I LOVED Maria Bello and Jason Isaacs. I LOVED the action it was pretty good. That acting wasn't THAT bad. I could help but think... that's doc oc for Molina. I expected to see Spiderman spinning a web somewhere. I blame the writing on this one. In my house we group movies into 4 groups. Definitely must see in theater, Matinée prices..we'll take a chance, DVD when it comes to red box, and never watch. This is in round number 3. I paid 5 bucks to see this one. Lautner is an okay actor in this one. Lily was heavy in the eyebrow department. I'm not expecting great acting out of a movie like this one. Entertainment value alone gives it a good rating for me.

Enjoyable

Author: vicky3937 from Indiana
24 September 2011

Is this going to be an Oscar contender, NO. Is it a good movie, definitely. Not too much blood, profanity and really no sex. There were 6 of us together from 13 to 55 and we all enjoyed it.

I was certainly entertained and that is what it is all about. Could some things have been different, well sure. They can make it better when we check in with Nathan in about 10 years.

Hopefully Sigorney Weaver and Alfred Molina will still be alive to do it. Taylor is still fairly new as far as acting goes and still has some things to learn. Hopefully he will in time and I will be watching all his movies.

If you want a nice enjoyable movie then you must see this one.

Before You Criticize It Watch It Then You Gonna Have Another Opinion !

Author: esines_sovran from Albania
10 February 2014

Seen most of this reviews about this film and the critic reception didn't received it well . I think it's a great movie actually . It is the first movie that brings Lautner's potential acting skills as an serious , devoted , dedicated actor . It's a good action-thriller story a classic one to say about a kid who's whole life has been a lie . Lily Collins had a lower performance than Lautner which I think it brought down the perfect performance as a supporting role but wasn't that bad considering her first feature debut film wasn't that bad . Also liked Dermot Mulroney in the end a very good actor and they combined very good as Martin's character which fits him perfectly .

Don't judge a movie by its cover and all they say . I saw it and I give it 9.1/10 now I have more respect for Lautner as an actor !

Much more enjoyable than reviews indicate

Author: nossrepsalcin
6 December 2012

Well, so I must confess I gave this a 10 just to compensate for some of the silly low scores. None the less, I did find the film enjoyable and should easily warrant a 6 or so. Quite contrary to some reviews I was very impressed with the lead, Taylor Lautner, and I think he has a natural and honest way to him that makes even this kind of dialogue digestible. The problem is that this movie is aimed at teenagers and therefore lacks all dark or threatening elements, making the movie a tad to much Disney. The screen writing is a bit sloppy and childish, which further accentuates the b-movie quality. None of this is the lead's fault though, I mean what could he do to change the concept of this movie? Turn it down? No, even this movie obviously never would have been made if it wasn't for the studio wanting to bank on the Twilight popularity, I actually felt Lautner made it enjoyable.