IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The bad guys and the god guys alike are trying to get him

Author: Amanda Lea Tully from Canada
29 January 2012

Maybe this film is intended to be watched exclusively by the fans of Taylor Lautner, for there are much TOO MANY close ups and long scenes where all you see is his facial expression.

Unfortunately the director is following the "recipe" for success, take the shirt off of the main character as soon as the opportunity arises or show his fighting expertise.

The heroine, Lily Collins, does nothing but complain and introduce odd conversation subjects in the middle of a battle.

On the other hand the plot is vaguely tied by some encrypted list who everyone wants to get. The adults actors: Molina, Weaver, Isaacs and Bello do a good job, but since everything dances around Lautner, they are minimized by the script.

Do yourself a favour and choose something else instead when deciding which film to watch.

An adequate action film by Taylor Lautner

Author: neenahhh from Philippines
27 December 2011

Nathan and his friend, Karen, find a website that has photos of children who were believed to be missing or abducted. They soon stumble across one of Nathan's baby pictures on the website. Before he can question his parents, they are both killed. Nathan and Karen set out to discover the truth behind Nathan's real identity.

After thinking about it, I realized that this movie was pretty adequate. Or even less than. Yes, I am a fan of Taylor Lautner, but this film wasn't that great.. The acting was just mediocre, and the plot was not at all intriguing. If a person who didn't know Taylor Lautner watched this, I bet they would have been very very unimpressed with this movie. The plot wasn't very strong. It didn't hold my interest for long. I did like the concept of the film, yes, but I didn't like its execution. Here's hoping for a better film starring Taylor Lautner.

Viewed on: December 27, 2011

Bad writing more to blame than the acting

Author: emma-190-611245 from United States
19 October 2011

I'm giving this movie a generous 5 because there's a lot to be said for an action movie with this kind of star power behind it. John Singleton did what he was supposed to do, the actor's hit their marks, but the dialogue was so stilted & ridiculous, there was no way to save this movie. Truly, I blame the script. The idea of the story is great - a high school kid finds out he is one of those kids on the side of the milk carton? That's pretty powerful stuff to teens who may be experiencing the "Who Am I"s before even entering the theatre. However, good movies make us care about the people in them. And you do that with a good script. Abduction is convoluted and borrows heavily from the Mission Impossible "NOC list with traitor on the inside," story. But what really kills this movie is the horrible dialogue. The best scenes are with Jason Isaacs and Maria Bello - we want more of them, but alas, they are killed in the beginning and we never see them again. It would have been nice to explore, even briefly, what led Nathan's father (played by Dermot Mulroney's mouth) to place his son with them & Dr. Bennett. And what about Sigourney Weaver's character, Dr. Bennett? Sigourney Weaver is a great actress and ill used as pure exposition in this movie. The last scene in particular has such awful dialogue it's a miracle the actors didn't just shrug and walk away. The premise, plot & cast had promise, but bad dialogue will take a film off the rails every time. Stiff acting doesn't help, and teenage boys are stiff & awkward sometimes so that is more excusable. Note to scriptwriters: actually read out loud what you write. If it feels stilted, it is.

Very good teen action movie

Author: Johnny_Hing from United States
20 September 2012

I am really astounded at how many people are trashing this movie. Most of it appears to be based on Taylor Lautner and his "shirtless" persona from the Twilight films. Despite being a prolific movie-watcher, I have not as yet watched any of the Twilight films, for whatever reason. Perhaps this is a good thing, as I had no preconceived notions of Lautner going in, and had no expectations one way or another.

The drunken party scene was well-executed, and served a purpose in developing his character, being that his Dad challenged him to a fight (with gloves) when he got home, apparently to teach him never to let his guard down. Whatever people want to say about his acting (and I thought it was decent), he is a skilled martial artist in real life. Thus, the fight scenes were realistic, and we didn't have to suffer through a shaky camera trying to disguise an actor's athletic shortcomings, as is the case in many action movies out there. The casting was good (so refreshing to see a real teen play a teen). The cinematography is excellent. The final 20 minutes or so, set in and around PNC Park in Pittsburg, was a visual treat. Amid the action and drama, we actually get to see a few pitches thrown, and even a home-run over the center field fence. The film had a denouement, and didn't leave you muttering to yourself "What the heck just happened?" The movie had a few flaws, but those have been beaten to death and are exaggerated beyond recognition. No, this isn't Die Hard, nor does it try to be. (Even if it had tried, no doubt people would be screaming "Die Hard ripoff!") It is a good, solid teen action movie with Phil Collins' lovely daughter Lily as the co-star. Personally, I recommend it, for whatever that's worth. (Nothing, I know.) Seriously, this does not deserve the vicious thrashing that many reviewers are meting out. Is it blockbuster material? No, certainly not. Is it worth the price of a DVD rental? Yes, indeed.

WTF was that?!

Author: cangelc-219-447210
3 July 2012

I have never rated a movie before because frankly I'm too lazy. This particular film, however, was one of the most awful and disappointing ones I've ever seen. The story line seemed good at first and the cast list was promising, but the final result did not follow up in the slightest! Cheesy lines, multiple (obvious) goofs, and a stale ending with so many holes left unfilled. My favorite part? When Kozlow's muscle-man gets tossed out of the speeding Amtrak train and is recovered unbloodied, unbruised, and clean. I've seen low budget films do better.

All in all, this movie was so bad that I had to keep checking the time to see how much longer I had to deal with the corniness. If only I hadn't been watching it with other people...

Better than expected

Author: barger-jm from United States
3 April 2012

Our family of 4, two adults, two teens, were thoroughly entertained. A good action movie and the actors were well above average. Have seen Bourne films. Have seen Mission Impossible films. This one held its own. After the movie, our family commented that the movie deserved a sequel--and we hope they do one.

If they make another film, they might do a better job with the timing of the love/affection scenes. Also, the father-son relationship needs to be a bit more realistic. These aspects of the film was not well developed.

Those who are looking for a good action film with an entertaining story line and appealing characters should see this film and also hope they make another.

A very good action movie!

Author: MovieGuy01 from United Kingdom
8 March 2012

I really enjoyed watching Abduction. I found it to have a very good storyline, i particularity thought that Taylor Lautner (Nathan) and Lily Collins (Karen) acting was great. One day Nathan & Karen are over at Nathan's parents home and Karen happens to come across a website which has lots of photos of children who are missing or may have somehow been abducted. all of a sudden Karen is sat at the computer and she manages to age one of the photos on the website. Suddenly the photo turns out to be one of Nathan when he was just a child. Nathan becomes really confused and wants to know exactly what is going on because his mother will not tell him. He then start to think that he may have been abducted, and that his parents are not really his real ones. The movie really kept me interested all the way through. The storyline was very gripping and kept me on the edge of my seat almost the whole length of the movie. I would really recommend people to see this movie as it has a lot of great action happening in it.

It's only an Abduction of ones time and visual sense...

Author: Andrew Anthony M from Southern California
29 February 2012

Completely awful. How did this screenplay go on to become a produced film called Abduction? The script was terrible; and so was the acting and casting! The lead cannot act. Taylor Lautner has the aggressive acting equivalent to that of a five-year olds tantrum in a super market when denied a junk snack from mommy. My gosh! this film was terrible! Horrendous! I cringed at every chiche and cheesy line the cast spoke on. The chemistry of the characters was even worse! I nearly died in the theater laughing before I realized that I had to contain myself or else the many teenage females would rip me to shreds had I interrupted.

Never have I seen such a cinematic waste...Until I saw Abduction, that is.

Weak story/script

Author: sophiawittman
10 February 2012

I don't like action/suspense thrillers in which the plot relies on the main characters' lack of basic common sense to move the plot along. For example, trying to call your uncle even though people powerful enough to trace your calls are trying to get you. The purpose of such stupidity by the main characters is, of course, so the bad guys can find them, and lead the plot to its next action sequence. Also, the film failed to capture the main character's internal angst and confusion in a way that makes the audience care. Instead, he stumbles through the film with a whiny love interest with whom he has no real chemistry. I know Taylor can be charismatic and have chemistry - he pulled it off in Twilight. But it is not easy to pull it off when the script is so weak.

I had really wanted to like this film, and had hoped for a youthful, energetic Bourne Identity. Instead I got an unintelligent script and plot, that left me bored and disappointed.

A movie that high school kids will like. A good idea that was wasted. I was expecting worse, but this was still bad. I say C

Author: Tony Heck from United States
14 January 2012

"If I were adopted why would my picture end up on a missing persons website?" Nathan is a high school senior and is assigned to work on a report on sociology. When him and his partner begin to look at missing persons websites for research they are shocked to see a little boy that looks like Nathan. When he questions his mother about it their home is attacked and Nathan and his friend are forced to flee. I will start by saying that I am not a Taylor Lautner fan. Nothing to do with "Twilight" but more to do with his lack of acting ability. I went in to this looking to make fun of it and as much as I hate to admit it it was better then I expected. Still really bad, but better then I thought. I think my big problem with this one is that it had such a neat idea and seemed to do nothing with it. The movie had about ten minutes of actually story strung together with bad acting (from Lautner) and action. It also could be that I'm in my 30's and am 15 years too old for this type of movie but I did not really enjoy this. Overall a good movie for high school kids. I give it a C.