IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 18: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Loses momentum constantly

Author: poweroftigers from New Zealand
28 January 2012

The main problem with this movie is the directors inability to let go of Taylor's current twilight audience and appeal to the action genre audience- this is why we are left wanting. The momentum staggers constantly in this film due to terrible editing like the girl stumbling down the bank just so Taylor can catch her. This hot chick baggage gradually and easily becomes just annoying and the movie would have been a lot better if they simply explored the main character as angry and lethal- Without the insipid bonding of the girl and hero- In an action movie the chick sometimes plays a significant role- but there is nothing significant about this girls role apart from letting teenage girls dream they were her as Taylor holds her hand constantly. Taylor needs to choose his roles more carefully in the future if he doesn't want to be typecast as a young pretty face. A fate most actors his age seem to be unable to escape.

There was no abduction in Abduction; Oversight, or cinematic tour de force?

Author: GlenFalkensteinTodaytoKnights from Australia
26 September 2011

Abduction pays homage to the Hitchcock classic North By Northwest through the central character of Nathan Price, portrayed by the often lauded yet intrinsically grounded Taylor Lautner - who brings to the table the youthful enthusiasm present in his seminal portrayal of the Werewolf Jacob. Like Cary Grant, he is thrust into a world of mystery, intrigue and government conspiracy when he is forced to flee from home with no one to trust, accompanied only by a contemporary Eva Marie Saint, in this case rising teen sensation Lily Collins.

The film also draws inspiration from Tarantino's modern classic Kill Bill, through the inclusion of a David Carradine-like character in the guise of the Nathan's absent father.

The dialogue alludes to modern conventions present in teen drama and escapist fantasy, for instance the Molly Ringwald 80's coming-of-age classics, the Chronicles of Narnia series and of course Stephanie Myers opus, the Twilight saga. Yet 'Abduction' goes beyond the limited scope of Twilight by engaging the audience in the machinations of a conspiracy reminiscent of cold war thrillers much like Spy Game and the more recent Bourne trilogy.

The intrigue of the central antagonist, Koslow, plays off the fears and concerns of today's youth, forcing Nathan to confront the tragedy within his family and the realities of his absent father. Perhaps most damning of all was Koslow's threat to 'delete' all of Nathan's Facebook friends - a true villain for the 21st century.

'Abduction' is a huge move for Swedish sensation Michael Nyqvist (Koslow) to the Hollywood mainstream following his turn in the Swedish adaptation of Steig Larson's Millennium trilogy. Abduction also serves as a wake-up call for less contemporary stars like Sigourney Weaver of Aliens fame, and Alfred Molina who rose to prominence following the release of adventure classic 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

The most risqué element of the story itself is the lack of any abduction within the film. We wonder what hidden meaning cinephiles will draw from what on surface would appear an error yet perhaps alludes to deeper elements within the plot.

Abduction is not just for Twi-hards, but lovers and believers in contemporary cinema, underdogs who love a film which punches above its weight and action junkies who relish the antics of a main character with Statham-like reflexes and prowess.

We eagerly await Lautner's next outing and hope that the promise of a sequel will be fulfilled.

Enjoyable

Author: vicky3937 from Indiana
24 September 2011

Is this going to be an Oscar contender, NO. Is it a good movie, definitely. Not too much blood, profanity and really no sex. There were 6 of us together from 13 to 55 and we all enjoyed it.

I was certainly entertained and that is what it is all about. Could some things have been different, well sure. They can make it better when we check in with Nathan in about 10 years.

Hopefully Sigorney Weaver and Alfred Molina will still be alive to do it. Taylor is still fairly new as far as acting goes and still has some things to learn. Hopefully he will in time and I will be watching all his movies.

If you want a nice enjoyable movie then you must see this one.

Pretty good action flick

Author: dmjrolltide from United States
29 September 2011

My wife and I recently went to the RAVE theater and watched "Abduction". Don't really understand why there are so many negative reviews on this movie. The movie did start out a little slow, but once it got going, it held our attention till the very end. A lot of people say this movie is a cheap made for TV thriller at best, but I disagree. Plenty of drama, plenty of action, an interesting storyline made this movie worthwhile. Granted we went to the matinée and paid $14 to see this movie, but we still thought we got our money's worth. I felt the acting was good and pretty much spot on during most the movie. Yes, there may be some resemblance to the Bourne movies, but just enjoy Abduction for what it is, a solid thriller/action flick that was a lot of fun to watch. I will give it a solid 8 out of 10 stars. As a matter of fact when it hits BluRay, I will watch it again with my two daughters and their families.

Well..... At least Taylor Lautner is nice to look at

Author: Davis P from United States
24 November 2015

Abduction is a spy film starring Taylor Lautner, lily Collins, and Sigourney Weaver. Now I will say that it does have a couple of entertaining action sequences and that Sigourney Weaver does a good job in her role. But other than that it's really just an extremely generic and cliché teenage spy movie. Taylor Lautner is nice to look at and for the straight guys Lily Collins is there, so if nothing else you got some I candy. The movie just suffers from a lack of originality. The lines of dialogue her also pretty cheesy. Taylor Lautner needs to improve upon his acting a good bit if he wants to continue his film acting career.

Action good, acting bad.

Author: Saiph90 from United Kingdom
16 December 2014

Not the worst film I have watched on the plus side the action scenes were OK, the acting was a bit stone faced and not in the drug sense. I believe this is a vehicle for an actor from the Twilight franchise, being a bloke in his 50's I guess I am not the target audience. This I presume is aimed at teenage girls and the bloke obliges within seconds of the start of the movie by ripping his shirt off. The story is slightly beyond far fetched for example his foster parents simply give up their lives to protect a list? a college kid who appears not to be the sharpest tool in the box outwits the CIA, international assassins? never mind at least the dialogue was audible and it progressed at a decent pace. The acting was a bit and I am being kind, one dimensional, I guess his direction was, portray teenage angst, not sure what Phil Collins daughter direction was as her expression barely changes from scene to scene.

OK I Watched the Movie

Author: dmaire1221-222-44515 from United States
10 July 2014

First I guessed the ending at the beginning . Why you ask , because there was other films out there just like this one . Actually a few out there with the same plot . It was done in the 90s. Not to shabby on Lilly Collins acting ,for her first leading role . Taylor Lautner, for his first leading role did a good job too . A little bit of Jacob Black bleeding out in this movie but not too much . I think people were expecting too much on a low budget film . I think the Taylor Lautner fans wanted more love scenes in the film . Had the plot not been done before ,(several times) it would have been more of a suspense in the film . I really think someone has it out for this kid / young adult actor Taylor Lautner and someone should let go of the grudge . The movie really wasn't that bad and did better then A LOT of films out there worldwide box-office profits . (with higher budgets ). The extras on the HS students could have been better . Father and son boxing fight, dumb.

Yet it was interesting to see Lautner really did know karate . I am starting to see what happens when you have connections in Hollywood and you don't . The reviews were rough on this film when and I don't see why .

I wouldn't say don't go see the movie but don't expect to see high budget film quality . I enjoyed the movie and it look like others did too . End of Story .

Pretty naive storytelling and sadly enough, not much more.

Author: eline-hoskens
8 June 2014

If you're irrationally fond of actor Taylor Lautner, you might like this movie. But even then, I would recommend you to create your own cut of 'sweaty shirtlessness' out of YouTube scraps. It would save a lot of time and would allow you to add the same exhilarating semi-naked scenes more than once. Personally I don't manage to look passed his huge potato nose but I remember having been fond of tanned dark-haired and brown-eyed types myself as a teenager so I'm not judging his fans whatsoever.

If you're looking for a good, coherent story though, I would skip this movie. (Here I am again with another of my annoying story-centered reviews) The opening scene is already very irritating, and I'm not just talking about the shallow score. I believe the intended function of that scene is suggesting the main character is a borderline juvenile delinquent bad boy who prefers transportation by lazing on the hood of a car before crashing garden parties and dozing off in his own puke. He does not like to obey his caring mom and peculiar and slightly sadistic dad, who reminded me of one of my former martial arts teachers.

The writers then introduced a school project to both establish his romantic interest (the girl across door) and to introduce him to a missing persons website that features his picture (and which turns out to be simple bait afterwards while he turns out to be simple leverage in a plot in which he has no further importance). He then loses his parents and home and is forced to run with his just as forced sidekick girlfriend-to-be ('cause as his shrink suggested him, he'd better left her in the car under her protection as she seemed to be able to manage herself). Then there's a succession of explosions, gunfire and chases to fill the rest of the plot. The whole is explained by vague and naive mumbling about a former CIA dad, a secret list of people who traded government secrets (that was in a cell phone Nathan had nothing to do with and wouldn't even have found in the first place if it wasn't for this unnatural plot development) and lack of details. I suspect that the writers did not know themselves how to tie this story together which lead to this faint infusion of a storyline. There's nothing really exciting about a story that revolves around a character who remains invisible and which flaws are masked by a main character whose only contribution is taking his shirt off once in a while, or is this a witty reference to the Twilight series that I missed? And knowing the semi-good as well as the bad guys have all the devices to track the main characters at all times does not add a lot of tension or necessity to the story. This movie is a bit belittling in that it assumes people only need a popular lead actor to appreciate a movie and that it considers its audience not smart enough to notice their attempts to cover the plot holes with a vague secret list of important names. It's also a sad waste of time for a great talent like Sigourney Weaver.

Despite its bad reviews I gave this movie a chance. Although a majority of bad reviews does not always mean a movie is crappy (if you can ever claim this objectively at all), in this case I would indeed not specifically recommend it to anyone. But if you plan to watch it anyway, I won't try to stop you. See if you enjoy it for yourself.

The Bourne Identity (for early teens)

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
29 May 2014

I don't know whether I should be ashamed for liking this film or not. There's absolutely nothing new here that you haven't already seen (assuming you've been consuming a basic diet of Hollywood mainstream movies for the last two decades like I have).

Abduction is about a boy Taylor Lautner (from Twilight fame) who discovers he is suddenly on the run from a group of baddies (you know the type - foreign accents, plenty of disposable henchmen and can only shoot bottles when firing machine guns at a teenager). Um, that's about it really. Taylor gets chased here, Taylor gets chased there, hooks up with a pretty young girl with big eyebrows along the way - that sort of thing.

However, Abduction's big difference is that, instead of an adult being hunted by baddies who can't shoot straight (or overpower a fifteen year old), it's the afore-mentioned fifteen year old. And, baring in mind that there's minimal violence (defined by a lack of the red stuff when people get shot), this film is largely aimed at mid teens. It has plenty of pop culture references to Lady Gaga and Facebook that will amuse their generation.

I couldn't really think of anything wrong with it. Okay, I've seen it all before and it ticks all boxes. It's not a classic, but it's entertaining enough.

If you haven't seen this type of sinister-conspiracy-CIA-chase-type-film before, you'll probably love it and give it 5/5 (or just someone from 'Team Jacob').

If however, you grew up collecting the original Star Wars toys and can remember when Transformers had nothing to do with Michael Bay, you may feel like it's Beverly Hills 90210 mixed with Jason Bourne and your score will be more around the 3/5 mark.

Maybe I'm just a child at heart. I actually appreciated it for a piece of silly, chase-orientated action entertainment. Plus it had Sigourney Weaver in it - and Ripley rocks.

Give it a go. There's worse out there (Michael Bay, are you reading this?)

Twillight haters can't get off Lautner's back.

Author: angiris
19 April 2014

This film is good and its blatantly obvious that the most of the negative ratings are dominated by a negative twillight attitude. How do I know this... Because this films story - even though its not cannon or anything special - is good and decent. It's your standard action flick with a ton of good actors and some surprises thrown into the mix... Whats not to like?

Singleton may not have created a masterpiece here - maybe the films purpose is to grant Lautner and Collins some time in the spotlight since they're both up and going actors. Maybe the idea is just to make a simple action flick or maybe it's a simple cash-in. Hell I don't know but I DO KNOW that the content here is entertaining and respectable. The acting is solid, the film doesn't look cheap in any way and the story - while feeling quite rushed and there are loop holes present - isn't bad. The potential is there though it isn't utilized to it's full extent. Having said that that can be said about almost every single movie nowadays...

If you like watching a respectable but nothing major action flick with a bunch of good actors who all do their part well then this film is a good choice. Maybe some kind of Sunday night entertainment or something or just for killing time .. Hell if I know.

I rate this film a 6 for being a "good film" not a great film, not a super film, nothing like that. 6 for good and that's what it is.

Entertaining, simple, action-packed, bit of love here and there. Its a stereotypical action flick actually and even though I'm not much for such films the fact that there are so many good actors in it make it entertaining and worth a look at least if you got nothing better to do and looking for something.

Nothing special just simple action with good actors.

And all you twillight haters... Stop throwing your hateful ratings all over the Twillight cast's other movies. Your ratings are anything but objective and you're dooming the films one eyesight rather than on content. I bet half the people who rated this didn't even finish the film. They just saw Taylor Lautner.. thought twillight and BAM... down-rated.. Now I can't prove that of course but I can't help to see a connection between the twillight hating and the poor ratings that Lautner's first leading role in a film got. Maybe I'm wrong here... But honestly... I don't think so.

Stop hating and start reviewing the actual content and not actors backgrounds... You're rating the film... not the actors...