IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

It's only an Abduction of ones time and visual sense...

Author: Andrew Anthony M from Southern California
29 February 2012

Completely awful. How did this screenplay go on to become a produced film called Abduction? The script was terrible; and so was the acting and casting! The lead cannot act. Taylor Lautner has the aggressive acting equivalent to that of a five-year olds tantrum in a super market when denied a junk snack from mommy. My gosh! this film was terrible! Horrendous! I cringed at every chiche and cheesy line the cast spoke on. The chemistry of the characters was even worse! I nearly died in the theater laughing before I realized that I had to contain myself or else the many teenage females would rip me to shreds had I interrupted.

Never have I seen such a cinematic waste...Until I saw Abduction, that is.

Weak story/script

Author: sophiawittman
10 February 2012

I don't like action/suspense thrillers in which the plot relies on the main characters' lack of basic common sense to move the plot along. For example, trying to call your uncle even though people powerful enough to trace your calls are trying to get you. The purpose of such stupidity by the main characters is, of course, so the bad guys can find them, and lead the plot to its next action sequence. Also, the film failed to capture the main character's internal angst and confusion in a way that makes the audience care. Instead, he stumbles through the film with a whiny love interest with whom he has no real chemistry. I know Taylor can be charismatic and have chemistry - he pulled it off in Twilight. But it is not easy to pull it off when the script is so weak.

I had really wanted to like this film, and had hoped for a youthful, energetic Bourne Identity. Instead I got an unintelligent script and plot, that left me bored and disappointed.

Never seen a movie with so much potential fail so hard....

Author: luxterg from Canada
23 November 2011

First of all, this movie had incredible potential. Great actors, great potential story / plot etc. What it lacked was execution. The camera work was b-movie at best, they didn't use their assets and it came out as a mess.

What was the fatal blow? The girl. The teenage actress is actually fantastic, she does a great job... however, there was no reason whatsoever for Lautner to carry her around like luggage. Literally useless.

Had they done better camera work and NOT HAD THE girl tag along with him, this movie would be an easy 8/10 probably a 9. Unfortunately, they really dropped the ball on this one by having her be literally useless and tag along with him.

This was supposed to be Lautners coming out party, but the storytellers thought making it a love story would sell it better to teenage girls. Fact is, Lautner could act, he has talent and the makers really did a bad job handling him.

None-the-less, I still give this movie a generous 5/10.

A terrible film

Author: laffnj from Australia
5 October 2011

Abduction, the new Taylor Lautner thriller does absolutely nothing to impress. the 'hunky' Taylor does nothing to lift this film from where it is, this film gives you the feeling that Taylor had been chosen for the lead (Nathan) because of his looks rather then his acting skills. it is probably his worst performance yet. At first, the film seems like a rip off from the Bourne identity but as it goes on and the twists are uncovered, that this high school kid, is suddenly on the run and is told that he cant trust anybody, not even the CIA in which he is in contact with. The story moves way to fast and doesn't give enough information to really enjoy this so called thriller. This movie is without question a letdown in all aspects. Terrible script, even worse acting. It is an all round bust.

Don't Even Bother Waiting For The DVD

Author: Ram Rengachari from Singapore
29 September 2011

We've heard comparisons between Taylor Lautner and Matt Damon, which is frankly an insult to the latter.

Lautner may be a staple in the action genre in years to come but right now, the comparisons are premature. His performance is stoic at times, which is a problem that permeates through the rest of the cast. None of them except Lily Colins provide a convincing performance, which says a lot because the young actress isn't any good herself.

I won't even bother typing a synopsis here because you probably won't understand the film even after the end credits start rolling. The storyline is all over the place. The directing is terrible. The camera angles confuse you on many occasions.

The movie is riddled with scenes and sequences that seem to be ripped off other well known films like Death Proof, Disturbia and maybe even the Bourne series.

I felt like the movie came across unintentionally as a satire but I assure you the movie is a serious action flick that just fails to be... serious.

I really don't know what else to say apart from "this movie sucks!"

Yes, I used a cliché line to review a movie. But Abduction doesn't merit any further analysis. How it even got shown on the big screen is beyond me.

Was not a good movie, like, at all!

Author: bcrewe-1 from Canada
28 September 2011

I just went to see this film, I was actually excited about this movie at first, and in all honestly, It was a very fun movie. But OMG, Taylor Lautner is one of the wort actors I have ever seen. He (In my opinion) Is no where near ready to Hold up a movie in the position of a leading roll. I get that his recent popularity Is what most people are going to see, but come on...... What 16 year old kid can take down a bunch of CIA People, oh wait, Taylor Lautner can. The story was very unrealistic. Not at all what I had hoped for. I will say that Lily Collins did a pretty good job In the film though, I expect great things out of her. But I just cant get over Taylor Lautner. If you want to go see a film that emphasize on seeing him ripped and many situations where his body is shown off, then this film may be for you. But I expect more out of a film, There are so many good actors out there that could have done a much better job, They may not be the 'Sex Symbol" that comes with Taylor, but at least they can act. He is a Steven Seagal in the making.

OK I Watched the Movie

Author: dmaire1221-222-44515 from United States
10 July 2014

First I guessed the ending at the beginning . Why you ask , because there was other films out there just like this one . Actually a few out there with the same plot . It was done in the 90s. Not to shabby on Lilly Collins acting ,for her first leading role . Taylor Lautner, for his first leading role did a good job too . A little bit of Jacob Black bleeding out in this movie but not too much . I think people were expecting too much on a low budget film . I think the Taylor Lautner fans wanted more love scenes in the film . Had the plot not been done before ,(several times) it would have been more of a suspense in the film . I really think someone has it out for this kid / young adult actor Taylor Lautner and someone should let go of the grudge . The movie really wasn't that bad and did better then A LOT of films out there worldwide box-office profits . (with higher budgets ). The extras on the HS students could have been better . Father and son boxing fight, dumb.

Yet it was interesting to see Lautner really did know karate . I am starting to see what happens when you have connections in Hollywood and you don't . The reviews were rough on this film when and I don't see why .

I wouldn't say don't go see the movie but don't expect to see high budget film quality . I enjoyed the movie and it look like others did too . End of Story .

Twillight haters can't get off Lautner's back.

Author: angiris
19 April 2014

This film is good and its blatantly obvious that the most of the negative ratings are dominated by a negative twillight attitude. How do I know this... Because this films story - even though its not cannon or anything special - is good and decent. It's your standard action flick with a ton of good actors and some surprises thrown into the mix... Whats not to like?

Singleton may not have created a masterpiece here - maybe the films purpose is to grant Lautner and Collins some time in the spotlight since they're both up and going actors. Maybe the idea is just to make a simple action flick or maybe it's a simple cash-in. Hell I don't know but I DO KNOW that the content here is entertaining and respectable. The acting is solid, the film doesn't look cheap in any way and the story - while feeling quite rushed and there are loop holes present - isn't bad. The potential is there though it isn't utilized to it's full extent. Having said that that can be said about almost every single movie nowadays...

If you like watching a respectable but nothing major action flick with a bunch of good actors who all do their part well then this film is a good choice. Maybe some kind of Sunday night entertainment or something or just for killing time .. Hell if I know.

I rate this film a 6 for being a "good film" not a great film, not a super film, nothing like that. 6 for good and that's what it is.

Entertaining, simple, action-packed, bit of love here and there. Its a stereotypical action flick actually and even though I'm not much for such films the fact that there are so many good actors in it make it entertaining and worth a look at least if you got nothing better to do and looking for something.

Nothing special just simple action with good actors.

And all you twillight haters... Stop throwing your hateful ratings all over the Twillight cast's other movies. Your ratings are anything but objective and you're dooming the films one eyesight rather than on content. I bet half the people who rated this didn't even finish the film. They just saw Taylor Lautner.. thought twillight and BAM... down-rated.. Now I can't prove that of course but I can't help to see a connection between the twillight hating and the poor ratings that Lautner's first leading role in a film got. Maybe I'm wrong here... But honestly... I don't think so.

Stop hating and start reviewing the actual content and not actors backgrounds... You're rating the film... not the actors...

So much potential...

Author: Movie Lover from United Kingdom
1 March 2014

Before I give my thoughts on this movie, can I just make one thing clear. A lot of people have called this film 'terrible'. It is not terrible and is worth watching.

First off, I'll start with good things about this film...

Lautner is great. Because he's popular with the ladies, I think people don't notice his acting skills. He portrays a very convincing and complicated role of teenager, Nathan. Secondly, this movie is full of action. Literally, there is not a dull moment. It is moderately violent, but no major injury detail which is good if you don't like blood! The plot is complicated enough to keep you interested but not overly confusing.

However. There are times when the effects and directing could have been improved. The movie has so much potential. I think there are several moments where the tension could have been built, dialogue could have been improved, and the whole layout of the film!

Despite the negatives, this film is worth watching. It may not be the best action/thriller, but I've seen worse!

Interesting Concept Defeated by Sub-Par screenplay

Author: KA Metcalf ( from North Carolina, US
27 July 2013

I had high hopes for this film based on the original concept and the caliber of the casting. Unfortunately, the direction of the screenplay did nothing but create implausible developments and dispassionate dialog.

Many reviewers have placed sole blame for the film's shortcomings on the shoulders of Taylor Lautner, but I feel that he, and the entire cast, did the best work possible with the script available.

To begin with, Lautner portrays well the average, privileged high school student with normal adolescent problems- like how to ask out the girl he likes. The film creates a strong family dynamic for Nathan and his parents, Kevin and Mara. Yet, when Nathan believes he sees his picture on a missing children website, he doesn't go to them with his questions. This begins the screenplay's failure to portray any semblance of reality. The attack that killed his parents could have occurred while Nathan was learning the truth thus sending him on the run and in search of the missing pieces of his past.

The script limits Nathan on the amount of grief, indeed the amount of residual effects, he suffers over the loss of his parents. In fact, no other character ever refers to Kevin and Mara as his parents. Since they did, in fact, raise him... they should be acknowledged as his parents. In removing that emotional connection, the screenplay voids much of Nathan's attachment to them.

The screenwriter relies heavily on gimmicks rather than focusing on substantial content dialog. Even the veteran actors' characters seem to be hollow with no real depth. To lay blame on the shoulders of the young star is to sell him short when he does the best he can with the script he was given.

Even with its shortcomings, I still enjoyed the movie... more as a tongue-in-cheek nod to an action movie, but still enjoyable. I suggest watching it again paying close attention to dialog and content rather than putting Lautner alone under the microscope.