IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Action good, acting bad.

Author: Saiph90 from United Kingdom
16 December 2014

Not the worst film I have watched on the plus side the action scenes were OK, the acting was a bit stone faced and not in the drug sense. I believe this is a vehicle for an actor from the Twilight franchise, being a bloke in his 50's I guess I am not the target audience. This I presume is aimed at teenage girls and the bloke obliges within seconds of the start of the movie by ripping his shirt off. The story is slightly beyond far fetched for example his foster parents simply give up their lives to protect a list? a college kid who appears not to be the sharpest tool in the box outwits the CIA, international assassins? never mind at least the dialogue was audible and it progressed at a decent pace. The acting was a bit and I am being kind, one dimensional, I guess his direction was, portray teenage angst, not sure what Phil Collins daughter direction was as her expression barely changes from scene to scene.

It's not that bad!

Author: Vicky Norton from United States
15 November 2014

I can't understand why everyone's so down on this movie. In fact I'm giving it an extra star because I feel sorry for it. For heaven's sake, what were you expecting, Shakespeare? It's a teen movie! I know there are better teen movies for adults out there, but if you're just looking for a little action, a little entertainment, a couple of cute leads, and a little bit of angst and peril, this is your movie. I also don't know why everyone's giving Taylor Lautner such a hard time—it's a movie where he finds out his parents aren't his parents right before they're killed in front of him. He acts perfectly believably in this situation. Not sure what people are expecting. And why are you looking for a fabulous script when the show is about TEENAGERS, who aren't known for their wit and snappy dialogue? Yes, there are cringeworthy lines and clichés, and the ending resolution, as far as his family situation, is a bit weird, but again, I'm not waiting for a Sherlock-level script here. Plus the problem people have with Taylor being 'shirtless' within five minutes. He's passed out on the floor, guys, not standing around flexing. Just chill the hell out, make some popcorn, and enjoy some mindless action and eye candy.

Sure this is just a showcase for Lautner but its still a decent (teen) action flick

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
7 October 2014

Ha, in reading all the reviews, this movie is hated. I actually kind of liked it once I put myself into the mindset of a fourteen year old girl and just went along for the ride. Sure its just a showcase for Taylor Lautner, and sure his acting is pretty terrible but I enjoyed the story of a teen who discovers the parents who raised him aren't his real folks, triggering events that leave him running for his life and pretending he's in a Jason Bourne movie.

I thought the action scenes were pretty good (despite the plot holes) No one can say that Taylor isn't at least... athletic. There was also a great back up cast of talent including Sigourney Weaver, Jason Isaacs, Maria Bello and Alfred Molina.

I'll admit the romance/kissing scenes were very awkward but I did enjoy how the audience didn't know who to trust either until the very end. Kinda twisty. 5/30/14

Pretty naive storytelling and sadly enough, not much more.

Author: eline-hoskens from Antwerp, Belgium
8 June 2014

If you're irrationally fond of actor Taylor Lautner, you might like this movie. But even then, I would recommend you to create your own cut of 'sweaty shirtlessness' out of YouTube scraps. It would save a lot of time and would allow you to add the same exhilarating semi-naked scenes more than once. Personally I don't manage to look passed his huge potato nose but I remember having been fond of tanned dark-haired and brown-eyed types myself as a teenager so I'm not judging his fans whatsoever.

If you're looking for a good, coherent story though, I would skip this movie. (Here I am again with another of my annoying story-centered reviews) The opening scene is already very irritating, and I'm not just talking about the shallow score. I believe the intended function of that scene is suggesting the main character is a borderline juvenile delinquent bad boy who prefers transportation by lazing on the hood of a car before crashing garden parties and dozing off in his own puke. He does not like to obey his caring mom and peculiar and slightly sadistic dad, who reminded me of one of my former martial arts teachers.

The writers then introduced a school project to both establish his romantic interest (the girl across door) and to introduce him to a missing persons website that features his picture (and which turns out to be simple bait afterwards while he turns out to be simple leverage in a plot in which he has no further importance). He then loses his parents and home and is forced to run with his just as forced sidekick girlfriend-to-be ('cause as his shrink suggested him, he'd better left her in the car under her protection as she seemed to be able to manage herself). Then there's a succession of explosions, gunfire and chases to fill the rest of the plot. The whole is explained by vague and naive mumbling about a former CIA dad, a secret list of people who traded government secrets (that was in a cell phone Nathan had nothing to do with and wouldn't even have found in the first place if it wasn't for this unnatural plot development) and lack of details. I suspect that the writers did not know themselves how to tie this story together which lead to this faint infusion of a storyline. There's nothing really exciting about a story that revolves around a character who remains invisible and which flaws are masked by a main character whose only contribution is taking his shirt off once in a while, or is this a witty reference to the Twilight series that I missed? And knowing the semi-good as well as the bad guys have all the devices to track the main characters at all times does not add a lot of tension or necessity to the story. This movie is a bit belittling in that it assumes people only need a popular lead actor to appreciate a movie and that it considers its audience not smart enough to notice their attempts to cover the plot holes with a vague secret list of important names. It's also a sad waste of time for a great talent like Sigourney Weaver.

Despite its bad reviews I gave this movie a chance. Although a majority of bad reviews does not always mean a movie is crappy (if you can ever claim this objectively at all), in this case I would indeed not specifically recommend it to anyone. But if you plan to watch it anyway, I won't try to stop you. See if you enjoy it for yourself.

Loved it

Author: truehimself-471-468782
13 January 2013

Well, if are like most people, you're not going to like this movie. Obviously, I am different from most people. I had a blast. Do I have lower standards? Hell no! I find 9 out of every 10 American films too boring to watch.

The only hook I that can actually make me watch a movie is superb acting or great action, preferably both. I rarely find a movie thrilling, but for me this one was all the way. I love the edge-of-your-seat drama-action type movies or shows like 24, The Event, Nikita and this was an endless thrill ride. No, there were no Oscar winning performances, but the performances given wee just fine, thank you very much.

I saw many of those high budget that were rated higher than 8, including The Avengers, and enjoyed this one so much more. Story line was elaborate, unpredictable, plenty of initial mystery and the action was non stop. If you are looking for heart felt performances go elsewhere. If you want to have a 2 hour adrenaline pumping experience in a well done action flick, look no further. It totally did it for me (as a comparison I almost fell asleep at The Avengers)

One more thing, some people do not enjoy fast paced sequences, or intense action and this kind of people will naturally evaluate a movie based on the acting or other things, and I don't blame them for it.

Viewers who can easily get into high action, will enjoy an action/drama movie provided the acting and storyline were decent. The acting in Abduction was more than reasonable for me. Certainly, good enough for me to enjoy the entire movie. This is not Jackie Chan type acting, but a rather dramatic style acting and VERY believable in my opinion. In fact, Taylor Launter did a fine job portraying exactly the type of character he was supposed to be portraying. I really enjoyed the constant thrill which started in the first few moments and only built up much more as the movie went along.

Actually really nice movie, not enough credit

Author: Eskil Tester from Netherlands
4 January 2013

I have read all reviews here and as usual on IMDb am shocked how negative many people are about many titles. Again about this movie, it is actually a nice decent, action movie, starting out with some pretty nice teen drama.

The problem on IMDb is that many folks have no idea what they are talking about and bash flicks for all the wrong reasons. If you like honest movies, with nice drama, decent action scene's, pretty good story telling, don't miss out on this movie.

acting of lead characters is enjoyable and actually pretty good. Don't miss out on this movie or many others, just because a few people rate it low and bash it. as usual i like a movie which was rated very low, and afterwards thought, damn those critics on IMDb really suck most of the time.

Be your own judge, and enjoy a nice flick like this :)

WTF was that?!

Author: cangelc-219-447210
3 July 2012

I have never rated a movie before because frankly I'm too lazy. This particular film, however, was one of the most awful and disappointing ones I've ever seen. The story line seemed good at first and the cast list was promising, but the final result did not follow up in the slightest! Cheesy lines, multiple (obvious) goofs, and a stale ending with so many holes left unfilled. My favorite part? When Kozlow's muscle-man gets tossed out of the speeding Amtrak train and is recovered unbloodied, unbruised, and clean. I've seen low budget films do better.

All in all, this movie was so bad that I had to keep checking the time to see how much longer I had to deal with the corniness. If only I hadn't been watching it with other people...

It's only an Abduction of ones time and visual sense...

Author: Andrew Anthony M from Southern California
29 February 2012

Completely awful. How did this screenplay go on to become a produced film called Abduction? The script was terrible; and so was the acting and casting! The lead cannot act. Taylor Lautner has the aggressive acting equivalent to that of a five-year olds tantrum in a super market when denied a junk snack from mommy. My gosh! this film was terrible! Horrendous! I cringed at every chiche and cheesy line the cast spoke on. The chemistry of the characters was even worse! I nearly died in the theater laughing before I realized that I had to contain myself or else the many teenage females would rip me to shreds had I interrupted.

Never have I seen such a cinematic waste...Until I saw Abduction, that is.

Weak story/script

Author: sophiawittman
10 February 2012

I don't like action/suspense thrillers in which the plot relies on the main characters' lack of basic common sense to move the plot along. For example, trying to call your uncle even though people powerful enough to trace your calls are trying to get you. The purpose of such stupidity by the main characters is, of course, so the bad guys can find them, and lead the plot to its next action sequence. Also, the film failed to capture the main character's internal angst and confusion in a way that makes the audience care. Instead, he stumbles through the film with a whiny love interest with whom he has no real chemistry. I know Taylor can be charismatic and have chemistry - he pulled it off in Twilight. But it is not easy to pull it off when the script is so weak.

I had really wanted to like this film, and had hoped for a youthful, energetic Bourne Identity. Instead I got an unintelligent script and plot, that left me bored and disappointed.

Never seen a movie with so much potential fail so hard....

Author: luxterg from Canada
23 November 2011

First of all, this movie had incredible potential. Great actors, great potential story / plot etc. What it lacked was execution. The camera work was b-movie at best, they didn't use their assets and it came out as a mess.

What was the fatal blow? The girl. The teenage actress is actually fantastic, she does a great job... however, there was no reason whatsoever for Lautner to carry her around like luggage. Literally useless.

Had they done better camera work and NOT HAD THE girl tag along with him, this movie would be an easy 8/10 probably a 9. Unfortunately, they really dropped the ball on this one by having her be literally useless and tag along with him.

This was supposed to be Lautners coming out party, but the storytellers thought making it a love story would sell it better to teenage girls. Fact is, Lautner could act, he has talent and the makers really did a bad job handling him.

None-the-less, I still give this movie a generous 5/10.