IMDb > Abduction (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abduction

Abduction More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Pretty naive storytelling and sadly enough, not much more.

Author: eline-hoskens from Antwerp, Belgium
8 June 2014

If you're irrationally fond of actor Taylor Lautner, you might like this movie. But even then, I would recommend you to create your own cut of 'sweaty shirtlessness' out of YouTube scraps. It would save a lot of time and would allow you to add the same exhilarating semi-naked scenes more than once. Personally I don't manage to look passed his huge potato nose but I remember having been fond of tanned dark-haired and brown-eyed types myself as a teenager so I'm not judging his fans whatsoever.

If you're looking for a good, coherent story though, I would skip this movie. (Here I am again with another of my annoying story-centered reviews) The opening scene is already very irritating, and I'm not just talking about the shallow score. I believe the intended function of that scene is suggesting the main character is a borderline juvenile delinquent bad boy who prefers transportation by lazing on the hood of a car before crashing garden parties and dozing off in his own puke. He does not like to obey his caring mom and peculiar and slightly sadistic dad, who reminded me of one of my former martial arts teachers.

The writers then introduced a school project to both establish his romantic interest (the girl across door) and to introduce him to a missing persons website that features his picture (and which turns out to be simple bait afterwards while he turns out to be simple leverage in a plot in which he has no further importance). He then loses his parents and home and is forced to run with his just as forced sidekick girlfriend-to-be ('cause as his shrink suggested him, he'd better left her in the car under her protection as she seemed to be able to manage herself). Then there's a succession of explosions, gunfire and chases to fill the rest of the plot. The whole is explained by vague and naive mumbling about a former CIA dad, a secret list of people who traded government secrets (that was in a cell phone Nathan had nothing to do with and wouldn't even have found in the first place if it wasn't for this unnatural plot development) and lack of details. I suspect that the writers did not know themselves how to tie this story together which lead to this faint infusion of a storyline. There's nothing really exciting about a story that revolves around a character who remains invisible and which flaws are masked by a main character whose only contribution is taking his shirt off once in a while, or is this a witty reference to the Twilight series that I missed? And knowing the semi-good as well as the bad guys have all the devices to track the main characters at all times does not add a lot of tension or necessity to the story. This movie is a bit belittling in that it assumes people only need a popular lead actor to appreciate a movie and that it considers its audience not smart enough to notice their attempts to cover the plot holes with a vague secret list of important names. It's also a sad waste of time for a great talent like Sigourney Weaver.

Despite its bad reviews I gave this movie a chance. Although a majority of bad reviews does not always mean a movie is crappy (if you can ever claim this objectively at all), in this case I would indeed not specifically recommend it to anyone. But if you plan to watch it anyway, I won't try to stop you. See if you enjoy it for yourself.

Loved it

Author: truehimself-471-468782
13 January 2013

Well, if are like most people, you're not going to like this movie. Obviously, I am different from most people. I had a blast. Do I have lower standards? Hell no! I find 9 out of every 10 American films too boring to watch.

The only hook I that can actually make me watch a movie is superb acting or great action, preferably both. I rarely find a movie thrilling, but for me this one was all the way. I love the edge-of-your-seat drama-action type movies or shows like 24, The Event, Nikita and this was an endless thrill ride. No, there were no Oscar winning performances, but the performances given wee just fine, thank you very much.

I saw many of those high budget that were rated higher than 8, including The Avengers, and enjoyed this one so much more. Story line was elaborate, unpredictable, plenty of initial mystery and the action was non stop. If you are looking for heart felt performances go elsewhere. If you want to have a 2 hour adrenaline pumping experience in a well done action flick, look no further. It totally did it for me (as a comparison I almost fell asleep at The Avengers)

One more thing, some people do not enjoy fast paced sequences, or intense action and this kind of people will naturally evaluate a movie based on the acting or other things, and I don't blame them for it.

Viewers who can easily get into high action, will enjoy an action/drama movie provided the acting and storyline were decent. The acting in Abduction was more than reasonable for me. Certainly, good enough for me to enjoy the entire movie. This is not Jackie Chan type acting, but a rather dramatic style acting and VERY believable in my opinion. In fact, Taylor Launter did a fine job portraying exactly the type of character he was supposed to be portraying. I really enjoyed the constant thrill which started in the first few moments and only built up much more as the movie went along.

Actually really nice movie, not enough credit

Author: Eskil Tester from Netherlands
4 January 2013

I have read all reviews here and as usual on IMDb am shocked how negative many people are about many titles. Again about this movie, it is actually a nice decent, action movie, starting out with some pretty nice teen drama.

The problem on IMDb is that many folks have no idea what they are talking about and bash flicks for all the wrong reasons. If you like honest movies, with nice drama, decent action scene's, pretty good story telling, don't miss out on this movie.

acting of lead characters is enjoyable and actually pretty good. Don't miss out on this movie or many others, just because a few people rate it low and bash it. as usual i like a movie which was rated very low, and afterwards thought, damn those critics on IMDb really suck most of the time.

Be your own judge, and enjoy a nice flick like this :)

WTF was that?!

Author: cangelc-219-447210
3 July 2012

I have never rated a movie before because frankly I'm too lazy. This particular film, however, was one of the most awful and disappointing ones I've ever seen. The story line seemed good at first and the cast list was promising, but the final result did not follow up in the slightest! Cheesy lines, multiple (obvious) goofs, and a stale ending with so many holes left unfilled. My favorite part? When Kozlow's muscle-man gets tossed out of the speeding Amtrak train and is recovered unbloodied, unbruised, and clean. I've seen low budget films do better.

All in all, this movie was so bad that I had to keep checking the time to see how much longer I had to deal with the corniness. If only I hadn't been watching it with other people...

It's only an Abduction of ones time and visual sense...

Author: Andrew Anthony M from Southern California
29 February 2012

Completely awful. How did this screenplay go on to become a produced film called Abduction? The script was terrible; and so was the acting and casting! The lead cannot act. Taylor Lautner has the aggressive acting equivalent to that of a five-year olds tantrum in a super market when denied a junk snack from mommy. My gosh! this film was terrible! Horrendous! I cringed at every chiche and cheesy line the cast spoke on. The chemistry of the characters was even worse! I nearly died in the theater laughing before I realized that I had to contain myself or else the many teenage females would rip me to shreds had I interrupted.

Never have I seen such a cinematic waste...Until I saw Abduction, that is.

Weak story/script

Author: sophiawittman
10 February 2012

I don't like action/suspense thrillers in which the plot relies on the main characters' lack of basic common sense to move the plot along. For example, trying to call your uncle even though people powerful enough to trace your calls are trying to get you. The purpose of such stupidity by the main characters is, of course, so the bad guys can find them, and lead the plot to its next action sequence. Also, the film failed to capture the main character's internal angst and confusion in a way that makes the audience care. Instead, he stumbles through the film with a whiny love interest with whom he has no real chemistry. I know Taylor can be charismatic and have chemistry - he pulled it off in Twilight. But it is not easy to pull it off when the script is so weak.

I had really wanted to like this film, and had hoped for a youthful, energetic Bourne Identity. Instead I got an unintelligent script and plot, that left me bored and disappointed.

Never seen a movie with so much potential fail so hard....

Author: luxterg from Canada
23 November 2011

First of all, this movie had incredible potential. Great actors, great potential story / plot etc. What it lacked was execution. The camera work was b-movie at best, they didn't use their assets and it came out as a mess.

What was the fatal blow? The girl. The teenage actress is actually fantastic, she does a great job... however, there was no reason whatsoever for Lautner to carry her around like luggage. Literally useless.

Had they done better camera work and NOT HAD THE girl tag along with him, this movie would be an easy 8/10 probably a 9. Unfortunately, they really dropped the ball on this one by having her be literally useless and tag along with him.

This was supposed to be Lautners coming out party, but the storytellers thought making it a love story would sell it better to teenage girls. Fact is, Lautner could act, he has talent and the makers really did a bad job handling him.

None-the-less, I still give this movie a generous 5/10.

A terrible film

Author: laffnj from Australia
5 October 2011

Abduction, the new Taylor Lautner thriller does absolutely nothing to impress. the 'hunky' Taylor does nothing to lift this film from where it is, this film gives you the feeling that Taylor had been chosen for the lead (Nathan) because of his looks rather then his acting skills. it is probably his worst performance yet. At first, the film seems like a rip off from the Bourne identity but as it goes on and the twists are uncovered, that this high school kid, is suddenly on the run and is told that he cant trust anybody, not even the CIA in which he is in contact with. The story moves way to fast and doesn't give enough information to really enjoy this so called thriller. This movie is without question a letdown in all aspects. Terrible script, even worse acting. It is an all round bust.

Don't Even Bother Waiting For The DVD

Author: Ram Rengachari from Singapore
29 September 2011

We've heard comparisons between Taylor Lautner and Matt Damon, which is frankly an insult to the latter.

Lautner may be a staple in the action genre in years to come but right now, the comparisons are premature. His performance is stoic at times, which is a problem that permeates through the rest of the cast. None of them except Lily Colins provide a convincing performance, which says a lot because the young actress isn't any good herself.

I won't even bother typing a synopsis here because you probably won't understand the film even after the end credits start rolling. The storyline is all over the place. The directing is terrible. The camera angles confuse you on many occasions.

The movie is riddled with scenes and sequences that seem to be ripped off other well known films like Death Proof, Disturbia and maybe even the Bourne series.

I felt like the movie came across unintentionally as a satire but I assure you the movie is a serious action flick that just fails to be... serious.

I really don't know what else to say apart from "this movie sucks!"

Yes, I used a cliché line to review a movie. But Abduction doesn't merit any further analysis. How it even got shown on the big screen is beyond me.

Was not a good movie, like, at all!

Author: bcrewe-1 from Canada
28 September 2011

I just went to see this film, I was actually excited about this movie at first, and in all honestly, It was a very fun movie. But OMG, Taylor Lautner is one of the wort actors I have ever seen. He (In my opinion) Is no where near ready to Hold up a movie in the position of a leading roll. I get that his recent popularity Is what most people are going to see, but come on...... What 16 year old kid can take down a bunch of CIA People, oh wait, Taylor Lautner can. The story was very unrealistic. Not at all what I had hoped for. I will say that Lily Collins did a pretty good job In the film though, I expect great things out of her. But I just cant get over Taylor Lautner. If you want to go see a film that emphasize on seeing him ripped and many situations where his body is shown off, then this film may be for you. But I expect more out of a film, There are so many good actors out there that could have done a much better job, They may not be the 'Sex Symbol" that comes with Taylor, but at least they can act. He is a Steven Seagal in the making.